Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Errol's sketchbook [images added 5/2/11] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

blackmoondrops

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:24 pm
Smexy, but what happened to her ears?  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:23 pm
blackmoondrops
Smexy, but what happened to her ears?
They're too forward on the head and maybe a bit too high. But they're there.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

blackmoondrops

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:32 pm
Errol McGillivray

No I mean they look like they've been crossed-out/scribbled over.  
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:14 am
blackmoondrops
Errol McGillivray

No I mean they look like they've been crossed-out/scribbled over.
Nah. I just don't erase lines once I'm into the drawing, unless there's a large difference in the change. Around the head my lead was dull and everything got dark and pinned in the paper.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:51 am
User Image  
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:20 am
Ohh! I saw this on DA! heart
Nifty set up - you're not afraid to put characters in awkward positions and have them interact. Woot of coolness! mrgreen
I'm sure you already noticed these things but I'll tell you what looks awkward to me
-His hands (were they gloves?)
-Which leg is his ... and which is hers. xd
-His nose
-His arm
-Her hand

Now here are the things that make me squee inside. heart
-Her chest and vest - utterly awesome.
-Their facial expressions. heart
-How relaxed the characters are
-Her pointed toe ( whee )
-Her lips
-The spider legs. xd The spider's caught the fly!

mrgreen

You gonna color this, or was it a one time doodle?

Nice going, Errol. heart You should post more often with your goodies!

Orockthro

Mogtoats

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:26 am
Nice pose!

Gooooo..... I though he was strangling her and broke her neck to have her face bent like this. biggrin

For now it's pretty messy, and I didn't get a sense of 3d (line variations). But as this looks to be only a sketch, I'm sure you'll get something good out of that.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:31 am
User Image

Scrutinize away.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:32 am
Orockthro
Ohh! I saw this on DA! heart
Nifty set up - you're not afraid to put characters in awkward positions and have them interact. Woot of coolness! mrgreen
I'm sure you already noticed these things but I'll tell you what looks awkward to me
-His hands (were they gloves?)
-Which leg is his ... and which is hers. xd
-His nose
-His arm
-Her hand

Now here are the things that make me squee inside. heart
-Her chest and vest - utterly awesome.
-Their facial expressions. heart
-How relaxed the characters are
-Her pointed toe ( whee )
-Her lips
-The spider legs. xd The spider's caught the fly!

mrgreen

You gonna color this, or was it a one time doodle?

Nice going, Errol. heart You should post more often with your goodies!
I'm trying to draw more often and in time, will work more and more complex set ups. Maybe go back and redo some older things.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:33 am
The Martian
Nice pose!

Gooooo..... I though he was strangling her and broke her neck to have her face bent like this. biggrin

For now it's pretty messy, and I didn't get a sense of 3d (line variations). But as this looks to be only a sketch, I'm sure you'll get something good out of that.
Well, I kind of didn't connect her head... I really should rework this one. I think it would look great if I got some reference and did it in pencil. (I'm terrible on the pc.)  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Mogtoats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:59 am
Perspective problems at the area of her butt? Maybe it is because of the shading. Also the curving back is too pronounced?

And at that position, should the tit be showing already?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:52 pm
The Martian
Perspective problems at the area of her butt? Maybe it is because of the shading. Also the curving back is too pronounced?

And at that position, should the tit be showing already?
You'll have to be more specific about the perspective problems on her butt. I don't see it. (Then again, I'm not looking at the tone I wiped in as shading.)

Too pronounced? Yes and no. Yes, because no one stands around like this in real life and no because it's not real life. It's an ideal of feminine sensuality in the form of a cartoon and a pronounced S curve of the body accentuates the fullness of the breasts, small waist, and the roundness of the butt. When it's real life perfection vs communicating an idea, I'll opt for getting my point across. I wanted motion. The last one that was more technically correct killed the motion and life in the figure. As for seeing her breasts on the side, they're fairly huge, so maybe. I rather like the line it makes.

If something is working against that and I don't see it, by all means, please let me know. (Especially the perspective thing. I really don't see it myself.)  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Mogtoats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:20 pm
Mhm, it's hard to say. The problem is at the junction. If you draw a horizontal line at the level of the base of her tail, and hid either of the parts, they'd look perfectly fine. But put together I see some misfitting.

There's a shading problem. Her lower back looks concave when seen with her buttocks. The shaded areas are not continuous.

Curvature problems is not actually on the back now. The back is fine, I see the idealized female. It's just that the top of the buttock (horizontal) is too long. It's more behind, you'd expect it to be shorter, but in there it's actually even longer than the front buttock. Mhm, the problem seems to be this back buttock.

If you see what I mean.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:52 am
The Martian
Mhm, it's hard to say. The problem is at the junction. If you draw a horizontal line at the level of the base of her tail, and hid either of the parts, they'd look perfectly fine. But put together I see some misfitting.

There's a shading problem. Her lower back looks concave when seen with her buttocks. The shaded areas are not continuous.

Curvature problems is not actually on the back now. The back is fine, I see the idealized female. It's just that the top of the buttock (horizontal) is too long. It's more behind, you'd expect it to be shorter, but in there it's actually even longer than the front buttock. Mhm, the problem seems to be this back buttock.

If you see what I mean.
I pushed random tone around with my finger because the avatar has the silver skin. There's really no shading to speak of. (I think I mentioned that.)

And I'm sorry but I still don't see what you mean. (I know, I'm dumb.) If you don't mind a simple redline or something, that'd be great too. (Sorry, it's just that I don't have hours to analyze, so I kind of need to be shown if it's not something obvious.)  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Mogtoats

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:17 pm
Mhm... I havn't thought about the redline.

Flipped image: the problem seems to be more apparent

Redlined. Hope I didn't ruin anything. I removed the tail junction cause it made it hard to see.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff