Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
The Bookstore Dilemma Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 13 14 15 16 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

thecatsred

Versatile Man-Lover

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:06 pm
Aww! Adorable!  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:22 am
Oh gods that was so cute! >w<  

User_2629207

Fenris Von Uberwald

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:51 pm
Once, I was in a Chapters store in the manga section, and it was really busy and I noticed this girl looking for something, and she looked REALLY nervous (you know, the "I am doing something really frowned-apon" look) and I heard her whisper "do they have any yaoi". I just grinned like a Cheshire at that point. So I walked up and whispered, "Over there, they have a couple really good yaoi's there". She looked sooooo grateful and said thank you. I felt like I did a good deed. blaugh  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:18 pm
i just take lots of my friends with me and we are not qrght about yaoi blaugh  

Hotaru~~firepixie

2,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Hoshi no Miko

Distinct Member

5,150 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:59 pm
I have never been self concious about buying shounen ai or yaoi at book stores or comic shops. I have never gotten a funny look and I bet half the time the people selling me the stuff don't even know what it is.

Though I was very amused when I got carded buying some of my last yaoi manga in Burnaby where my mom lives. The lady was all like, "Oh, I have to see some ID or I can't sell you these." I laughed and pulled it out (I am 19 what did I care) and was like "This is really a problem?" She told me that aparently it was and a whole bunch of under age girls were trying to buy some of the racier titles. It was hillarious.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:34 am
The only bookstores in my area are BAM and Waldenbooks. Of the two, BAM is the only one that has any BL. The only BL that they carry is gravitation and so far I'm teh only one to buy it. So most of my yaoi buying is off the internet.  

WyldeKaard

xx____innocent-BYstander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:59 pm
dude. do you know how many times I've had to sneak some BL in my purchased bag for my poor friend maddy so her mom wont see? XD you see, this is where being a girl that looks 18 comes in handy. noone suspects a thing XD But it's still way weird...  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:20 pm
t3h_kookie_monster
dude. do you know how many times I've had to sneak some BL in my purchased bag for my poor friend maddy so her mom wont see? XD you see, this is where being a girl that looks 18 comes in handy. noone suspects a thing XD But it's still way weird...

Yup! This girl buys manga for me :]
Always because I don't want my mom too see.
Not just because of BL, but because of the age rating.
Once some old guy wouldn't let me buy something because I looked to young.
So having a friend who looks like an adult is handy ^.^ v

[cum].a.me.[die].jeff.

xx____innocent-BYstander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:35 pm
[c**].a.me.[die].jeff.
t3h_kookie_monster

Yup! This girl buys manga for me :]
Always because I don't want my mom too see.
Not just because of BL, but because of the age rating.
Once some old guy wouldn't let me buy something because I looked to young.
So having a friend who looks like an adult is handy ^.^ v

and in return, you supply me with new cute couple ideas! ^w^ it all works out in the end...  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:59 pm
I was embarrassed to death when a bookstore clerk refused to let me buy Passion. I was pissed, too, because I really want to read it! But yeah, my mom was right there, and was like, "Great, now I look like a freak parent." ^^;

Actually, I was in B&N the other day with a friend and we were browsing through the manga. I grabbed a Yaoi one that looked really good (can't remember the name now xp ), and I flipped open to a page where the sex was extremely explicitly drawn. My friend was like, "Ewwwwww that's really gross!" Needless to say, I couldn't buy it after that. That, and I was already paranoid that one of the bookstore clerks wouldn't let me buy what I already had picked out. ^^;

Gah. Can't wait 'til I'm 18. Those of you that have those older friends are SOOO lucky. Don't ever take them for granted!!!  

MarvelousMinerva

Benevolent Phantom

User_2629207

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:25 pm
xD how embarassing! This is why I stay away from the explicit ones... I look like a 7-year old!

I'm going to Borders today. So my yaoi-phobic friend will have to survive, ahahah.
I hope they'll let me buy Gravi o.o it's rated OT for no reason, and even if I looked my age I wouldnt be allowed to buy it xD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:56 am
SO. I went to borders today. And OF COURSE it takes me FOREVER to pick something.
Anywhodles, Ashley was with me. And she DOES NOT LIKE YAOI. xD It scares her. But when we were browsing, she managed to pick up all the yaoi books... and she asked me why they were plastic wrapped xd I felt so priviliged to answer
"Oh, That mean's they are EXPLICIT *grin*"
Her expression was priceless. And I decided to buy Gravitation, because being a loser, I haven't finished the series yet.
So when we were waiting for my dad to show up, i rubbed my book bag on her.
"Haha, you've got yaoi on you!"
"No I don't... you didnt even buy any!"
"Oh, REALLY? >8D Gravitation, remember?"
"That's not yaoi..."
"Almost. *shows her*"
"O__O OHMYGODEEEEEEW."

we had fun. We also perved on cute asian boys who were playing DDR...
They had uke-butts xD

User_2629207

[cum].a.me.[die].jeff.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:55 am
MarvelousMinerva

Gah. Can't wait 'til I'm 18. Those of you that have those older friends are SOOO lucky. Don't ever take them for granted!!!

I don't ^__^
I use it to my advantage!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:56 pm
Bookstore experience number one: I was with my best friend at Barnes and Noble looking through the manga section. My friend, who doesn't read manga and doesn't like it except for Ranma 1/2 was going through and criticizing a few of them (the only thing we don't have in common crying and my greatest love) when I spotted a Yaoi I'd been dying to buy but they never had. I think it was Boy Princess or something. Just as I'm reaching for it she grabs it and looks at the cover. I guess someone had unwrapped it because she was thumbing through it and practically screamed.
Her: That is so sick. Only PERVERTS read that crap! That's disgusting!
Me: gonk *turns to look for others*
When I went back without her it was gone! crying

Bookstore experience numero dos: My friend and I go to the bookstore and read/buy manga every friday. One friday I'm reading Dear Myself when some old friends of mine come in. So excited to see me one of the girls screams "It's Evvie! Cat, it's Evvie!.....And she's reading Yaoi!!??" the look she gave me was priceless but I don't think I could've gone any redder.

Bookstore experience number tres: Another friday we're reading manga in the store when a Lady in her 40s or so comes up and picks out a WHOLE bunch of yaoi/shonen ai. She bends down and shows her 7-year old daughter the most...ahem, lemon.... of them.
Her:Now you can never read these. Even though I work for this company you can never EVER read these! *she progresses to show her smex pictures in each book* And I mean NEVER!
Me: eek question  

13thzero

The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 13 14 15 16 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas