Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Fantasy Books Guild
What got you in to reading fantasy books? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Vorpal Tom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:30 pm
I wasn't a popular kid back in grade school, or before that, so I went to the library a lot, where I developed a bit of a gift for reading the 35 book limit they set me within the three weeks until the books were due, with each book getting larger in size as time went on. But then, I picked up a book called Broken Sky, and I loved it. I found all 7, bought them, and kept them with me for years... And they got me started in the fantasy genre. Later books that gave me even more boosts were The Lioness Quartet, His Dark Materials, and the thousands of Arthur books out there.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:52 pm
Audible online got me into reading fatasy books, more like listening but before that i wouldent pick up a book let alone have a favorite type biggrin  

Crowlow

aliensk8er11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:49 pm
i have actually just recently started reading fantasy. I was sucked into just from looking around the borders bok store and i saw this series called "The Rangers Apprentice." I bought it, and it was sooo good i got the second book on the next day. I am half way through it now, wich is the next day and im going to get another fantasy/horror called "The Telling Pool"  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:10 pm
Well I was really into all fantasy related stuff as a child but none of it involved reading and as I got older and it came to the point where we started reading actual chapter books at school..I fell inlove with books and I started to realize that the fantasy ones were the best because I love being able to go to another world just by opening up a good book. biggrin  

Wicked Elaine

Dead Heresy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:40 pm
I got interested in reading fantasy as a kid when I went into a book store and realized I could buy books that I could choose. I ended up picking up fantasy books and went off from there...

On another note, I think a lot of the bad fantasy is attributed to editors and publishers not bothering to weed through their entries and just publishing anything cuz it says "fantasy" on it.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:02 pm
i disagree with those who say "fantasy is an escape."

i agree eith famed author G.K. Chesterton who said "every child has dragons in mind, whether they read fantasy or not. ...but what the tales goves us is not the dragons, but Saint George to slay them".

read Bruno Bettleheim's The Uses Of Enchantment about the deep healing power of these stories.  

chessiejo

Mardil

Witty Werewolf

9,175 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:26 am
My mom got me into it. She shared her love of reading with me, and I got hooked on Chronicles of Narnia. I've loved fantasy ever since.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:59 pm
I've been into fantasy books all my life. When I was a wee little girl, maybe 4, I would look through this big book of fairies. it had the good fairies on one side. Which I thought were so cool because they were beautiful and kind looking. Then on the other side, were the evil fairies. They use to scare me because they had horrible looks to them, and I thought they would be under my bed. lol  

Deadly Tea

murphyad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:16 pm
the fact that i would rather read than try to make friends  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:12 pm
I got into fantasy when I was 9. That was the first time I had ever read Harry Potter! 3nodding blaugh  

jingle bear

cherrydelite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:15 pm
My dad probably got me into it, he was always reading science fiction with an occasional fantasy here and there.
The first one I can't remember the name of; something about a witch child. I wish I knew cause I'd love to read it again, even though it was a 4rth grade book. The next I remember was A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline Le Engle. That book amazed me and just opened up whole new worlds for me. I think I was in 6th grade when I read it.
The first series I got into was the Marian Zimmer Bradley books. and then the Dragon Riders of Pern books.
I carry a book with me whereever I go. I'm never bored.
and yeah, I resonate with the person who said they saved their life. me too.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:26 am
heart A really good write is Traci Harding &
Australian Writer read the Ancient Future Trilogy 1st Then the Clestral Trilogy bothe great series I couldn't put hem down. heart  

felicity_mills

Dizzy_Dizo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:27 pm
my mom actually did it! ever since i started to read, she bought me fantasy books becuase she thought it was every kids right to read fantasy and use our imaginations. and luckily now she supports my wanting to be a fantasy writer. my dad on the other hand.... i won't even go there  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:19 am
One day, I just felt like reading that big-a** tome in my brother's bedroom that said "The Lord of the Rings". And I liked it so much I read it all in like 3 weeks or so. surprised

This is where I started. 3nodding  

Da_Nuke

Rualeen

5,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:00 pm
I fear I have to admit it was the Harry Potter series. Simply because they where the first good books I ever read. But at the same time that isn't really true because what had the most effect on me where my stephfamily. All of them where in to Fantasy and Magic and RPG 's, and from there my current passion comes.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff