Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
The Runic Corner Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ashley Abel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:25 am
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Berkano- the Boobie Rune.

I tend to think of Berkano is to Women/Motherhood as Ing is to manhood. But that's my UPG.

I tend to agree with that, re: Berkano. Also, Berkano has some of the same "creativity" impulses of Ingwaz. And there's a solid "nature" push, too. I tend to pair Ingwaz and Berkano when I (very rarely) work with them.

The poems are as follows:

Icelandic:

Birch
leafy twig
and little tree
and fresh young shrub.

Norweigan:

Birch has the greenest leaves of any shrub;
Loki was fortunate in his deceit.

Anglo-Saxon:

The poplar bears no fruit; yet without seed it brings forth suckers,
for it is generated from its leaves.
Splendid are its branches and gloriously adorned
its lofty crown which reaches to the skies.

The second, with the reference to Loki... my impulse (eyes the wily one) is to say it has to do with Loki becoming a female horse to distract the horse aiding the Giant who built a wall around Asgardhr at the request of the gods. He bore a child, Sleipnir, via that deceit. Thus, Loki was FORTUNATE in his deceit.

Quote:
Also, what does it mean for a rune to be reversed?

It doesn't, effectively.

Quote:
And is it true that Berkano has anything to do with Loki? Because if it does, and I'm anywhere near the right track, that's just the icing on a big confusing cake.

See above. Be cautious with Wolf's Father. I love him dearly, but he is not easy kin.

Thank you. This actually makes very much sense as far as what's going on with me goes, though I still have a lot of learning and interpreting to do.

As for Loki...may I ask you a few questions about him? I've been following him around for four years now, and know most of what's available about him as far as the stories go. I think I've made a big mistake in singling him out so much and not learning about the other gods and the overall environment except by association. Though I think he has gotten me out of several tight spots, I really couldn't say what I've done right to deserve it.

Also, it's going to be weird if I don't say this, but I'm another one of Insolent Muffin's mules. Sorry if I appear to be mule-stalking you, but this guild caught my attention in a big way. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:54 am
Ashley Abel

As for Loki...may I ask you a few questions about him? I've been following him around for four years now, and know most of what's available about him as far as the stories go.
Which translations of the Eddas have you read? Some are better than others.

Quote:
Sorry if I appear to be mule-stalking you, but this guild caught my attention in a big way. sweatdrop
Heh... Following good information isn't really stalking is it?  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:48 pm
Ashley Abel
As for Loki...may I ask you a few questions about him?

In my experience, Loki varies widely.

Ashley Abel
I've been following him around for four years now, and know most of what's available about him as far as the stories go. I think I've made a big mistake in singling him out so much and not learning about the other gods and the overall environment except by association. Though I think he has gotten me out of several tight spots, I really couldn't say what I've done right to deserve it.

So far as I know, the gods don't act on a "deserving" level. They do act on a "mutuality" level.

It is good to know about the other gods, though; Loki doesn't exist in a vacuum any more than anyone else does.

Ashley Abel
Also, it's going to be weird if I don't say this, but I'm another one of Insolent Muffin's mules. Sorry if I appear to be mule-stalking you, but this guild caught my attention in a big way. sweatdrop

Urm... I'm afraid I don't remember you. sweatdrop I'm sorry. I tend to respond more to words and ideas than identities until I've had a great deal of interaction with a given person.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:14 pm
Deoridhe

It is good to know about the other gods, though; Loki doesn't exist in a vacuum any more than anyone else does.
Contested. I had this lovely little Krishna statue that was very small- got it out at RCR.

It got hoovered last week when it took a nose dive off the counter between my kitchen and my table. twisted

Quote:
I tend to respond more to words and ideas than identities until I've had a great deal of interaction with a given person.
That explains some of our early interaction. mrgreen  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:29 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Contested. I had this lovely little Krishna statue that was very small- got it out at RCR.

It got hoovered last week when it took a nose dive off the counter between my kitchen and my table. twisted

talk2hand Bad puns don't count.

TeaDidikai
Quote:
I tend to respond more to words and ideas than identities until I've had a great deal of interaction with a given person.
That explains some of our early interaction. mrgreen

Yeah, it does. sweatdrop I took several months for you to register as cohesive "person" in my mind.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:46 pm
Deoridhe

talk2hand Bad puns don't count.
Okay- how about Gaia? She exists in the vacuum of space doesn't she?

Quote:

Yeah, it does. sweatdrop I took several months for you to register as cohesive "person" in my mind.
Heh. I'm still not sure I can be classed as a cohesive person in some folks minds.  

TeaDidikai

bondage bunnie

4,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:13 pm
Cloverina
I’d like to mention that in the short time that I worked with runes, I found the “blank” rune to be pointless. Worthless and stupid, in fact. 3nodding

Wode
Wodden
Weird
It is the stupid blank rune made by neopaganists. It means nothing so leave it out of your stack.
its suposed to symbolize the Norns "Fates"  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:13 pm
Deoridhe
Ashley Abel
As for Loki...may I ask you a few questions about him?

In my experience, Loki varies widely.

Ashley Abel
I've been following him around for four years now, and know most of what's available about him as far as the stories go. I think I've made a big mistake in singling him out so much and not learning about the other gods and the overall environment except by association. Though I think he has gotten me out of several tight spots, I really couldn't say what I've done right to deserve it.

So far as I know, the gods don't act on a "deserving" level. They do act on a "mutuality" level.

Ashley Abel

Urm... I'm afraid I don't remember you. sweatdrop I'm sorry. I tend to respond more to words and ideas than identities until I've had a great deal of interaction with a given person.

xD It's okay. I haven't talked to you much, you've just shown up in a lot of places I've been in lately. Insolent Muffin = another mod. I think you clicked on a thread where I was inviting people to an event I'm having on another mule, and that's where else I've seen you lately.

I've read...a couple translations, unfortunately none of which I own (weird, isn't it?), plus other books that are on the subject of Loki/tricksters/mythology/other related things that have all kinds of opinions of Loki and what he may or may not have actually done. I read something where he was depicted as pure evil, and something else where he was actually oddly romantic and sensitive, and countless things in between. I've heard a lot of opinions, and I'm wondering if it's a bad thing to form my own from all of that information. I'm sure there's no one translation you consider "right," but which do all of you rely on most or recommend?  

Ashley Abel

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:58 am
Ashley Abel

I've read...a couple translations, unfortunately none of which I own (weird, isn't it?), plus other books that are on the subject of Loki/tricksters/mythology/other related things that have all kinds of opinions of Loki and what he may or may not have actually done. I read something where he was depicted as pure evil, and something else where he was actually oddly romantic and sensitive, and countless things in between. I've heard a lot of opinions, and I'm wondering if it's a bad thing to form my own from all of that information. I'm sure there's no one translation you consider "right," but which do all of you rely on most or recommend?

Of note- some of the more popular translations of the Poetic Edda were translated by Christian monks- who tended to write in biased terms to the Eddas in order to show Loki and Odin or Thor as a "Devil v. YHVH" mythos.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:31 pm
bondage bunnie
Wode
Wodden
Weird
It is the stupid blank rune made by neopaganists. It means nothing so leave it out of your stack.

It was invented by Blume.

Also, fate is not the same as wyrd. Fate is a Greco-Roman concept and is fairly set-in-stone - this WILL happen.

The Nors are properly called: That Which has Been (Urdhr), That Which Is Becoming (Verhandhi) and That Which Should Become (Skold). The word "Should" is important for understanding Skold and wyrd and orlog. Wyrd is driven by the weight of that which has been, which influences that which is becoming in order to form that which should become. It is open to influence. Some things are too heavily rooted in the past to destroy or avert, however, which is where some of the mitigating actions of Vitkar (people who perform magic using the runes) step in.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:32 pm
Ashley Abel
I'm sure there's no one translation you consider "right," but which do all of you rely on most or recommend?

I get into this in my pathways thread; feel free to poke around there and ask questions.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:39 am
Deoridhe
bondage bunnie
Wode
Wodden
Weird

It was invented by Blume.

Also, fate is not the same as wyrd. Fate is a Greco-Roman concept and is fairly set-in-stone - this WILL happen.

The Nors are properly called: That Which has Been (Urdhr), That Which Is Becoming (Verhandhi) and That Which Should Become (Skold). The word "Should" is important for understanding Skold and wyrd and orlog. Wyrd is driven by the weight of that which has been, which influences that which is becoming in order to form that which should become. It is open to influence. Some things are too heavily rooted in the past to destroy or avert, however, which is where some of the mitigating actions of Vitkar (people who perform magic using the runes) step in.

Given that is the case, do ya think with enough hugs and therapy that Ragnarok could be averted? ninja  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:41 pm
TeaDidikai
Given that is the case, do ya think with enough hugs and therapy that Ragnarok could be averted? ninja

Nope. Ragnorak is based on the fundamental gulf between the Aesir and the Fire Giants, within itself, and on the cycle of destruction and creation, outside of itself. I do personally think Ragnorak takes different FORMS depending on actions beforehand, though. That would be my UPG.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:42 am
Deoridhe

Nope. Ragnorak is based on the fundamental gulf between the Aesir and the Fire Giants, within itself, and on the cycle of destruction and creation, outside of itself. I do personally think Ragnorak takes different FORMS depending on actions beforehand, though. That would be my UPG.
In that case- how do you define Ragnarok?  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:28 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

In that case- how do you define Ragnarok?

The war between the Giants and the Gods which will kill many of both sides and reset the world.

One of the more interesting interpretations of it is with the giants as the primal forces of the world and the gods as the imposed civilization. Another, one I hold to as the last Ragnarok personally, is the battle between the giants of Christianity and the Gods of the Old Ways. I consider it cyclical; besides UPG, I base my belief on the fact that Baldr takes up Odin's names - this may also explain why Odin has so many.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff