Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
Great British Politics. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Darth Buttsecks

Dapper Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:32 pm
ice_illusion
Blair is trying to get rid of the farmers of the country.

What!?!? That's madness, that's stupid, that goes above and beyond stupid as a matter of fact. Straight into the land of WHAT THE ********!?!?! Get rid of the farmers in the country = Having to be dependant upon other countries for food = stupid = land of WHAT THE ******** class="smilies smilies_neutral"> neutral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:17 pm
Carmen LaVihta
So British politics go to the same consept as "all the fish can swim->I can swim
->I'm a fish".

Ooh,I never knew politics could be this interesting. surprised

Only if my value-statements were nature-based statements. Which they were not.

Thus, I win.

Invictus_88
Captain

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:22 pm
Timeless Visage
ice_illusion
Blair is trying to get rid of the farmers of the country.

What!?!? That's madness, that's stupid, that goes above and beyond stupid as a matter of fact. Straight into the land of WHAT THE ********!?!?! Get rid of the farmers in the country = Having to be dependant upon other countries for food = stupid = land of WHAT THE ******** class="smilies smilies_neutral"> neutral

New Labour - Crap Britain  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:23 pm
Invictus_88
ID cards.

Anyone here in favour?

I am. confused The only thing I don't like would be the price of them.

I don't actually see a problem with them.  

Misty_Watersprite

Aged Browser

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:33 pm
Misty_Watersprite
Invictus_88
ID cards.

Anyone here in favour?

In place of a lengthy argument (it's late and I'm up early for work tomorrow) I submit an image.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

You see, ID cards won't protect anyone. They'll cost you money then cost you your freedom. Giving you nothing but, at best, shallow convenience.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:49 pm
Invictus_88
Misty_Watersprite
Invictus_88
ID cards.

Anyone here in favour?

In place of a lengthy argument (it's late and I'm up early for work tomorrow) I submit an image.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

You see, ID cards won't protect anyone. They'll cost you money then cost you your freedom. Giving you nothing but, at best, shallow convenience.
indeed  

Mr. Bono Vox

Mr. Bono Vox

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:44 am
well the votes are in.. they have been counted an verified.. and the Government has... been defeated for the first time since coming to power! hurrah! the noes won by a majority of 31 votes.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:02 am
Mr. Bono Vox
well the votes are in.. they have been counted an verified.. and the Government has... been defeated for the first time since coming to power! hurrah! the noes won by a majority of 31 votes.

This is a great day for the Liberals, and the Tories. It shows that collective power can overthrow those who dominate; and thereafter undermine the political system itself. The credibility of Blair has been shattered critically. I doubt he will ever recover.  

Nebelstern
Crew

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:23 pm
Nebelstern
Mr. Bono Vox

This is a great day for the Liberals, and the Tories. It shows that collective power can overthrow those who dominate; and thereafter undermine the political system itself. The credibility of Blair has been shattered critically. I doubt he will ever recover.
Wasn't there something like 49 labour mps rebelling along with the Liberals and Tories.
Still good though.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:03 pm
Yes!

Britain is standing her ground and choosing to be free, damn to the retrograde and atavistic descent into facism, paranoia and control-freakery.

New Labour has long been a blight, an embraced blight, yet I hope that this indicates the beginning of a reclaiming of freedom for the British people.

Invictus_88
Captain

Mr. Bono Vox

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:52 pm
yet we now sit here with a new terror act which means we can be heald for a month.. and loads other things...
and we sit with the public polls indicating support for the 90 day plan.... the people have not rebeled at all... unlike the claim in 1984 of wilson... the proles will NOT be the saviours of the country. the parliament will be. i hope Davis wins...

I HATE BIG BROTHER  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:23 am
I have to say, this angered me a lot.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4423678.stm

Placing blame on his own party, eh? Well I think this is just a perfect example of how a Conviction Prime Minister can be warped into a Egotist. His arrogance irritates me more than anything, mainly because the party even broadly share the same ideology (I say broadly, I know there are still hardcore lefties in there still).

Almost makes you want to feel sorry for the Labour rebels.

Nebelstern
Crew

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:30 am
Ah, I also propose this guild has a Politics Subforum.
I mean, what did we fight for only months ago?
wink  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:48 am
Quote:
Defeat sparks leadership questions

Analysis
By Nick Assinder
Political Correspondent, BBC News website

Tony Blair reaction

This was worse than Tony Blair must have feared.

In a vote on a key piece of legislation he not only lost his large majority but he was roundly and convincingly defeated - for the first time in eight years.

And, while he continues to claim this was not an issue of his leadership or authority, it has dealt him a serious personal blow and already led to a demand for his resignation from Tory leader Michael Howard.

Not even the support of Chancellor Gordon Brown succeeded in persuading his backbench rebels to fall into line behind the hugely-controversial proposal to detain terror suspects for 90 days without charge.

And not even another of his powerful and passionate performances during question time before the vote managed to save the prime minister.

In that speech he claimed he would rather lose and be right than win and be wrong.

It was a matter of doing the right thing, of giving the police and security services the power they wanted to stop another terrorist atrocity in Britain.

Go soon

But lose he did, with MPs going on to back a 28 day period of detention, in the process rejecting even a 60 day fallback option.

The defeat is bound to lead to major new pressure on Mr Blair to hasten his departure and hand over to Gordon Brown, even though he may reject the Tory leader's resignation call.

And, while the prime minister is a fighter and - until now - a survivor, the fact he has already announced he will quit before the next election may make that pressure for him to go soon irresistible.

The defeat came after Mr Blair stunned Westminster MPs by suddenly abandoning plans to seek a cross-party consensus and instead launching a ferocious campaign in support of the 90 day option.

On that he appeared to be ignoring the advice of many in his party, including Home Secretary Charles Clarke who had throughout been suggesting he was open to a compromise and only changed tune at the last moment.

Chief police officers, who originally proposed the detention period, lobbied MPs for their case and ministers and Blair loyalists did everything to win over dissenters.

Concentrate minds

Mr Blair attempted to shave off some Tory backbench votes by suggesting they were in the "wrong place" on the issue and had gone soft on terror.

There has been a suggestion that Mr Blair knew he was already facing serious revolts over his so-called "legacy" welfare reforms and decided to pick a knockdown fight on this issue instead, believing he had the support of the public.

It is also possible he hoped the black and white nature of the issue - in which he effectively suggested MPs were either with him and the police or against them - would concentrate minds.

And, had he won, he would have felt strengthened in his other reforms and his rebels weakened.

In the event there appeared to be a backlash at his tactics and rhetoric and what many saw as the attempt to paint them as soft on terror.

And at the end of the day, the prime minister failed. Not by a bit but comprehensively. His other reforms will now also face serious trouble.

Few are suggesting the prime minister is about to pack his bags, but few also doubt that things will never be the same again for the most successful election winner Labour has ever produced.

Just a wee analysis of the current situation. i found it quite good.

I HATE BIG BROTHER  

Mr. Bono Vox

The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games