Reply Age of Sigmar Discussion
The Skaven Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

explodeyFox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:07 pm
I present my Clan Pestilens list (if anyone still cares about/plays skaven)

Lords

Plague Lord
Warpstone Armor
Warpstone Amulet
Liber Bubonicus
Plague Censer

Heroes

Chieftain
BSB
Storm Banner
Heavy Armor

Festering Chantor
XHW
2x D.Scroll

Festering Chantor
XHW
2x D.Scroll

Core

20 Plague Monks
FC
XHW

20 Plague Monks
FC
XHW

19 Stormvermin
Shields
Ratling Gun

Special

10 Censer Bearers

10 Censer Bearers

-1 Unit Giant Rats(5 packs)

-1 Unit Giant Rats (5 Packs)

Rare

6 Jezzails

1 Unit Rat Ogres (5 packs)

~2240

176 models,
Mainstay core are frenzy, so fear doesn't do much, and 3 WS3 S3 attacks for 8 points is pretty nice against undead, daemons, or just killing empire and lizzies.

The Jezzails go knight hunting for a bit while the Rat Ogres hang out with any other heavies or chariots they can't cover. The general goes with one unit of censer bearers, the mages go around with the units of monks or on their own (depending on enemy), and the BSB stays with the Stormvermin (all units kinda zerg together in an oblique line style advance).

With my 4 scrolls and 5 DD, I've managed to soak up daemon magic long enough for the giant rats to clog up the horrors, then just bog down their thirster with my monks.

So the list does well, anyone wanna help me revise it for upcoming lizzies or just has any random ideas they think would work (I play about 10 hours of warhammer a week ((2 games! just kidding...)), so playtesting will occur).

Thanks!  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:45 pm
On Lord;

First: Unless using the Lustria book, the Plague Lord is likely illegal.

Second: I don't think you can take Warpstone Armor. First, you usually need an armor option in your original profile to be capable of such. Secondly, doing so nullifies the advantage of a Liber Bubonicus, seeing as you cannot cast while in the armor.

BSB is fine.

Chantors are fine, provided they're legal [Again, I believe the Lustria book army lists may still be legal, but even those may be illegal now].

Plague Monks should be bigger, if you ever get the chance. Seeing as you need to remove at least 35pts of magical wargear from the Lord, that's at least two more for each unit. While not much, it's at least something. If you do not have the models or the money to expand though, you should be fine.

Storm Vermin seem a bit small - I feel that most skaven units should be at least 24-30 big, at least in Plague Armies. You want as much attacks as you can manage, and with a 24 big unit you can get another three attacks in the front rank from a six-wide unit. Similarly, the Storm Vermin's extra attack helps - as well as the ability to suffer one more wounding hit before losing attacks back.

The Ratling Gun is nice, but I'm not sure if it will last on its own. Try a few games with it, if it dies before doing something every game you'll have your answer as to whether to keep it or drop it. If the later, the 35 other points means you should have enough for an additional Storm Vermin and ten more Plague Monks - split into five more for each unit.

The Censors are going to be nice if they reach combat, but be careful. They are also a big point sink, and beyond seven you're unlikely to get some of them in base-to-base [not that spare wounds won't help, see the above]. As with the Ratling Gun, play it out. If it seems a good unit as is, keep it. If they have no use, drop them. If they are a bit too large, drop a few members.

The Giant Rats are likely going to work best as either Screens or Flank-chargers. Don't expect many kills on their own.

The Six Jezzails will likely be shot up quickly, but that shouldn't matter much as those shots there are shots not spent on your plague monks / censors.

The same goes with the Rat Ogres. I would say they could be nasty in combat, but you lack Death Frenzy potential. Death Frenzied Rat Ogres are nasty, seeing as they become five attacks a team (Four Ogre one Packmaster).

Those attacks are not going to be effective against Lizzies. The core, I mean. Unless you smack the flank, you're looking at a five-large front doing roughly 1.3 wounds after saves. And then taking back 3 wounds in turn. Assuming no spears. Beware Lizardmen, and if you can try to flank them with your superior numbers while only the Rat Ogres go for direct impacts.

Jezzails will, with your combat army, likely have only two turns of shooting before their job is done. After that most things will probably be stuck in, or the Jezzails will likely have been neutralized. So pick targets well. There's also the issue of being unable to hit things while the Storm Banner is in play.

Rat Ogres are actually not so great against Heavies. Your best bet is to use them to carve up regular regiments - unless being used in support with flanking Rats / Monks. Chariots they work wonders against, but heavies have the problem of being hard things to drop.

The Dispel should be fine for your army, if it seems a bit lacking in raw dice (Though that's only because of a use to much more, in most non-power games it should fare fine).

Overall, I'd say the army is nice, but is a bit off at places.  

Drachyench

explodeyFox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:38 pm
This one I learned from a friend:
You use the Jezzails to pick off their targets, activate the banner, then use them to hold one of your table quarters.

The entire list comes directly from the Skaven book (Just as the Southlands list from the Lizardmen book is legal), but it is an appendix list versus a main list. Small tournaments generally allow these, and the list is intended just for fun/small tournaments (I played High Elves at GTs.) It's really dumb that they allow the Lustria lists at GTs with models no longer in production (some not even made), but not a mono-clan skaven list. Really dumb IMO. It's like limiting chaos warriors to 1 unit per unit of warriors, and only having vanilla lords and sorcerers.

I have tried games with this list (won a tournament last week for Best Overall, placed 3rd for Best General...),

I found the Giant Rats make poor screens because of a bit of shooting sends them packing, and low LD makes charging fear-causing dudes even harder.

Jezzails ALWAYS get shot up. Even on my Skryre list, using 3 units of them, I rarely had more than 3 at the end of the game. Jezzails, ratling guns, and warp fire throwers get blasted for some odd reason.

And we kind of cheated on the Plaguelord, because without giving him magic armor, there's not much more you can do with him (magic-wise). Skaven magic items kinda suck (really suck), and with the plaguecenser already taking up his weapon slot (insane weapon for only 24 points), there's not much you can give him. The book is for the extra DD.

But the tactic for having smaller number main units is that the entire army moves forward in a mock-oblique line, (like Stelek's Dark Eldar formation if you read DakkaDakka) making the enemy charge you for maximum effect.

I'll try more monks, but losing my flankers might be a problem.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:23 am
Hurr hurr... Just got my way back to the furries in Warhammer... SKAVEN!

I'm starting now with a little theme for my army, Eshin and Skryre, this rich Skryre warplock engingeer have hired himself some eshin troops to try out his new weaponry actually... Both my clanrat units have ratlingguns... And they're not going to be used untill the Eshin is in combat... The more Eshin troopers who dies the cheaper it will be for the Warplock Engineer once he's to pay Clan Eshin for the hired troops. wink

I will of course have stuff from other clans because I've always loved big beasts and sick rats... So Pestilence and Moulder will have a small spot in the force as well.

From the rumours of the comming skaven book it looks like my assassins might be semi-skryre too, as it's been rumours of assassins with jezails... Sniper Assassin FTW!

I'm just too thrilled about skaven comming back...  

Shinobi_8745

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:29 am
They have a new codex coming out, right? When's that release?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:31 pm
October or November.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Shinobi_8745

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:38 pm
Aye, sometime during Q3 anyways.

I really hope that they don't mess up this armybook like they have since the High Elves... Sure Chaos did turn out to be ok but the other armies have gotten a bit too... Bleh...  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:38 am
I have heard the doom wheel is coming back. i can not wait to see the new incarnation of this model.  

Inenor

Shinobi_8745

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:13 am
Me neither... But it doesn't stop me from getting the old one... >:3 <3

already found a local seller  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:56 am
New plastic clanrats confirmed... ;3

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Shinobi_8745

Lord Thuddleton

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:30 pm
Wow the new models look really cool. Makes me want to start a skaven army but I think my fiance would move out if I started bringing home more models razz  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:08 am
Hello dear furred friends, I am Vincent, better known as the skaven, Dreadlord Blooay. I feel like the skaven discussion here have gone dead, so I thought, why not use my very first post on this guild here, on my very favorite race.

So, while I know the new skaven book is right about our heads, I feel like this place needs a large, unit discussion. What we feel like our current units and how we would like them improved, or simply which units we are satisfied with, and which we just aren't. And of course, I will start this off.

Warlord. A great lord in my opinion, not in hes own stats (except hes awesome LD) but in the many ways he can be used. Hide him in the back of hes units and see all of your ranked skaven units pass their LD tests at a ld of 10. (LD 7 of the warlord, plus the three ranks ranked units now have.) If your facing multiply wounds enemies? Give him the fellblade and watch him slaughter them. He works just wonders if used right.

Grey seer. A more funny lord. He can make use of the lore of skaven to the fullest, so if you want to have tons of fun with magic, use him! However, I think he is sadly overpriced for what he gives, but him and a bell, well it just screams for funny matches. =] However, too expensive, he needs a rework.

Chieftain. A smaller version of warlord, though not nearly as fun. Still, awesome in small matches. And storm banner rocks! He is worth hes guts.

Assassin... No, no, no, no, he needs a completely good rework, he, sucks, completely now. I never use him, never, except for fluff maybe.

Plague priest. Now here is something I like to see and play with! A combat monster, he works just awesome wonders on anything there are heavily armored. I LOVE this guy.

Moulder guy. Well, he seems good enough, but he just needs to give my moulder units a better advantage than what he does. I want to use him, but my points is better spent on a plague priest.

Warlock engineer. A man of destructive power, I think nothing needs to be changed at this guy. Maybe warplightning needs a rework though, it is very powerful indeed.

Clanrats. They were worth their points. Until stuff started to be just better than clanrats and cost the same 5 points. They need to go down at 4 points, and then that's it.

Stormvermin. I never use these guys, their way too expensive. Skaven don't kill thing, they win by combat res. So, they need a rework so I actually would want to use these things.

Nightrunners. Lovable, maybe they should be made lower LD and then expendable rule. However, their really good already.

Slaves. YAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!! Warhammers best unit ever, I do not wish anything to be changed at them!

Giant rats. Ever heard of the rat dart? A wonder in giant rat tactics. Their a good unit, great for getting a flank into play. However, I just can't shake the feeling that something is wrong with them, I just can't put my finger on it.

Ratling gun and warpfire thrower. Wow, their good, but their also just as good at getting destroyed by magic, all I ask for is something to make them safer.

Rat ogres... bad... umm... bad... no, never use them. They need to get a serious, serious, serious, serious rework.

Gutter runners. Their indeed, a very fun unit to bring. Tunneling can be a double edged sword, but if it works can completely wreck havoc. However, against high elves, I have seen my tunneling team getting chopped to pieces when charging high elves crew. They need to get something...

Plague monks. Yes! A unit there actually can kill, something! Against low armor targets, their just what we need. However, they lack hitting power against high armor targets, this is were a plague priest and censer bearers hit in.

Warplock jezzails. This is where skaven hitting power comes from. Or, also from this source. Their good, really good, but they rarely hit and when something terror comes against them, their running for their hills. They need something to make them braver, maybe ranks.

Censer bearers. I love them, saved my but so many times. I will cry in bed if they aren't in the new book!

Warp-cannon. Umm, against undead units where the general counts above all, they totally rock. But, it is okay if it gets replaced by something else.  

Tranguility

Hilarious Grabber

5,100 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Flatterer 200

Shinobi_8745

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:59 pm
Have you seen the changes they're making for the new book? If not you should check them out.

I agree with most things here, but not on the stormvermin part, in the fluff, sure they're great warriors... but now we should have in mind what a "great warrior" are for skavens... And lets say that the new changes they make for them is not what stormvermins are... They are apparently getting heavy armour, shield and halberd at basic, Always Strike First and Fear... I don't see why they'd have ASF or fear... Blac orcs are bigger meaner and more fericious than a stormvermin, but yet they don't cause fear, and a mansized rat isn't as scary as a fully ironclad orc wielding weapons bigger than yourself in one hand!

But point sinks is something we want, but I haven't heard a thing from the point-front in the new skaven book which is a bit sad.

Cha... I'll try to write a comment on each unit entry back for you someday soon, but at the moment my brain is all "bleh" after a trip to Denmark...  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:34 am
Cha... I'm too lazy...

Warlords might get a "rat ogre steed" which is completely wrong if you ask me... I hope it's going to be a bodyguard much like Boneripper for Thanquol

Skaven will get a total of 13 spells, might be like they are for greenskins, having one table for warlocks and one for grey seers, and one automaticly known spell for both sides.

But slaves are bing re-done, they won't be available to have slings anymore.

Weapon teams might be like fanatics now, popping out from the unit shooting when enemies are close, never gotten this confirmed though...
You talk about magic and such destroying them... Play smarter with them, hide them behind your clanrat unit untill it's time to use them, there's not many spells in the game which doesn't need LoS.

Like I said stormvermin is getting a heavy re-make and will get plastic models as well, I'm not sure if I like that idea... Even stormvermins are just skavens... just slightly better and with armour.

No more stormbanner! They're removing it from the list.

Assassins are good as they are now, I guess you might not have read the tacticas with them from the underempire, they're really swell! But they're making them like the dark elf assassins, so they're going to be unit upgrades from now on, but I've heard rumours about jezzail assassins... <3

Master moulders might give regeneration when they join moulder units from now on which is a BIG plus.

Also heard about rat ogres being in units of giant rats, much like skinks and kroxigors for lizardmen... not gotten this confirmed yet though.

Plague monks might be a core unit when having a plague priest or something, they shouldn't be changed that much as I've heard.

Jezzails might be 0-1 and rare choice if my memory isn't that bad, could still be special, but they're no longer skirmish. In the current book taking 13 in a unit (or just above cool is deadly, you only use these rascals to take out large targets and heavy cavalry, picking on big units is like throwing small rocks on a big wall.

Warplightning cannon might get S4 instead of 5, haven't heard much about it anyways since I haven't paid that much attention, I'm going to use it anyways.

And finally we're getting some new units!

Like the burrowing behemoth from the moulder list, as well as a plague warmachine, not to forget the return of the doomwheel!  

Shinobi_8745

Tranguility

Hilarious Grabber

5,100 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:40 am
Yeah I heard all of those rumors a long time ago, I personally just LOVE the new clanrat models! User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. (Here they are if you haven't seen them yet.)

Now, my thoughts on the rumors!

No, please, no steeds for warlords. I completely agree with Author here, we live underground for gods sake, a warlord would get bashed by riding a rat ogre, and why would he even do that in the first place? Much more safe to be in the back of a clanrat or stormvermin unit...

13 spells, I heard the last one will be like 25+ spell which can create clanrat units of dead enemies, like in one of the later edition (verminlord spell). I think that is completely stupid, look at it, the chances of miscasts on that roll is quite large. Not worth it! We have plenty of units already!

I only need slaves to be two things. Cheap and a M of 5. Except for that, I don't care much. I don't use slings, so gee, I don't care.

I hope weapons teams will be hidden someway, it would greatly increase their chances of destroying things properly nowadays.

Stormvermin... nothing to say, major remake as the rumors says, I just hope in the right direction...

No... more facking stormbanner. I'll kill someone.

I am a member of the underempire and I've read the tactics throughly, but while skaven assassins are good, their nothing compared to dark elf assassins like they are now, which is why I hate them.

Master moulder will give some bonus to moulder. Better get it for ratogres!

Heard someone talk about a big facking plague censer on the screaming bell. I dunno what it does, but it is supposedly for the pestilence clan! So, it could look like pestilence are starting to take more serious acting in the political corner! O=  
Age of Sigmar Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff