Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Different Types of Vegetarianism! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SpazistIdealist

600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:19 am
Soymilk_Gun
[Matsuko]
Somehow I had failed to mention that I'm a Lacto-Ovo vegetarian. I hate it when people say I'm eating baby chickens. They weren't fertalized!!!

it is still exploiting the chickens and causeign them to live in an unnatural state and eventually causes them to be killed once they pass their egg layign prime and them sold off as low grade meat
thats why you buy organic eggs my friend... look, i believe in total equallity between man and animal. because of that i also believe that nothing deserves a free ride, everything must in some way support the economy, human or otherwise. Organic farms treat the cows very well when milking them, and receiving the eggs from the chickens is entirely cruelty free. You can say were "exploiting them", but were all drained and "exploited" in one way or another. You can say that they would like it if they werent milked, but anyone would like it if they got to sit around for their entire life not having to contribute anything. I believe that im no better than one of those cows, or one of those chickens, but i also dont believe either of them are better than me. I believe were totally equal, and therefore have equal responsibilities. Because I believe so strongly in equality is why im a laxo-ovo vegetarian and NOT VEGAN. Veganism simply switches the current state of things, and instead of humans being on top, and animals being exploited, animals are on top, and humans are being exploited. both which are equally bad  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:31 am
xANTI-HUMANx
RebelRockerRanger
i guess you could say im a lacto vegetarian with a minor ovo added to it. ill eat eggs, but in very small moderation. the way i look at it is if chickens are raised for their eggs then if we eat a too low amount of eggs then theyll start killing off the chickens for meat. but also those eggs could be raised and given life if they had the time to be fertilized. but other than that i see no difference with eating eggs than with eating and drinking milk products. cows are raised for their milk, chickens are raised for their eggs.

Hey Rebel, fancy meeting you here... I actually had something to tell you, so this is handy...
I was reading Erik Marcus' "Vegan: The New Ethics Of Eating", and he has a section on a place called "Farm Sanctuary", which is a vegan-run farm that doesn't slaughter the animals, or use any of their by-products for human consumption. I immediately thought of you and your don't-wanna-be-vegan-cuz-I-Don't-want-the-cows-to-die. Being vegan doesn't mean you're wiping out species, see?
Look, the economy has a balance. Money is spent to upkeep the farms, which is used to raise the animals, which is used to eventually get their eggs and milk. suppose one day everyone goes vegan. then what? what happens to those farms? you dont honestly expect us to keep them running do you? then all that makes those animals are a burden to the economy. no human is supported their entire life, and no animal should be either. by allowing those cows to continue to live in those farms, even after they are contributing absolutely nothing would be placing the the value of an animals life above that of a humans, and both are equal. neither are more important. humans have to work for their entire life, and while i dont think we should work the cows, the least we can do is milk them to help support the economy financially. i believe a cow being milked is a little less work than what the average human has to do simply to keep food on their plates. So also, we work to keep food on our plates, and making them not have to give milk would be affecting us negatively and advocating animal superiority in 2 ways.

1. Giving them a free ride their entire life not being required to do anything but wander around an open field, which would promote inequality between animals and humans.
2. Even after we've had to work, if the cow is not required to it would even further limit the food we can put on our plates that someone who had once worked on a dairy farm now has to work even harder for.(bit of a double wammy)

and say we stop supporting those farms that the cows are living on instead of continue to upkeep them simply as a house for the cows to have everything handed to em. if that happens, well, they cant live in the wild, lost those instincts long ago. over time, they would die out.

Im not better than an animal, but also because i believe an animal is no better than me is why im vegetarian and not vegan. vegans, hope you have fun being a cows b***h, but i hope youll understand if i say no thanks. I have no desire to be anyones b***h, human or animal. Im curious about that farm... let me ask you, do you think that farm costs money? Are the cows paying the money? Obviously not, and of course cows cant pay with money directly, but their dairy products can, which is supporting the economy in a fairly easy way i might add. Seriously, whats the farm there for? what, do they gather all their cow friends around a fire and sing kum-baya? you cant always believe everything you read, my friend. ha, whats funny is that im the one who convinced you to go vegetarian in the first place, and now youve gone full vegan.(not meaning that in an insulting way at all dude, just as a statement of irony)

Now if you all will excuse me, im hungry. gonna go down stars and eat some delicious and cheesy nachos. I know... i'm such a horrible person! shame on me for urging the cows to to contribute to society in the same way that every human being should be required to do as well! if i ever meat someone still living at home in their mid 20's who is also unemployed, ill be sure to remind myself that im a horrible person when i tell him he needs to move out of his parents basement(thats sarcasm, incase noone caught it... except for the nachos part, because i really am starving right now sweatdrop ate at bugaboo creak today, and ordered the barbeque chicken nachos without chicken, and made sure to get extra delicious cheese, and there was so much of it that I got full before I was even halfway done, and made sure I had some sour cream to wash the chips down with... mmmmmmmm... nummy)  

SpazistIdealist

600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50

Max Glycine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:22 am
I guess that is ironic. As for your argument, an economy is a purely human invention, so why should animals be forced to participate? The whole point of capitalism is to get more, better, stuff. A cow can't own stuff, all a cow needs is some grass to eat and water to drink. Besides, you could say that pets are a drain on the economy, too.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:35 pm
xANTI-HUMANx
I guess that is ironic. As for your argument, an economy is a purely human invention, so why should animals be forced to participate? The whole point of capitalism is to get more, better, stuff. A cow can't own stuff, all a cow needs is some grass to eat and water to drink. Besides, you could say that pets are a drain on the economy, too.
woah woah woah wait a second, now whos talking inequality? "an economy is a purely human invention, so why should animals be forced to participate? The whole point of capitalism is to get more, better, stuff. A cow can't own stuff, all a cow needs is some grass to eat and water to drink." why should animals be forced to participate, you ask? because we are equal! we all deserve equal responsibilities. you say cows cant own anything? well, they also dont need anything, but yes, the own the food they eat. youre completely right, thats all theyd need, but humans have to PAY for our food. getting stuff isnt really the point of capitalism... its a cycle of wealth. In a way, the dogs do contribute. The food they eat was bought from a company, and also unfortunately today the domestic pet industry is pulling in alot of profit... just in a very corrupt way. but I doubt youll see a dairy farmer show up at the nearest wal-mart "yeah, id like tp buy a pound of your finest cow grains!". you said it yourself, all they need is grass and water. im not even gonna rant anymore until i just ask you some simple questions. all i want you to do is copy and paste the form, and answer them. I dont want a full speech as answers for the questions, because its just a simple question(not saying you cant debate stuff before the form... basically im saying just answer the questions)

1. Say one day veganism becomes a law, do you suggest that we continue to maintain the farms that the cows are living in?
2. If farms were not maintained, and you were cow and had the intelligence of a human, what would you do?
3. What is your guess on how much it costs the average farm simply to stay running?  

SpazistIdealist

600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50

Famicommie
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:56 pm
1. Say one day veganism becomes a law, do you suggest that we continue to maintain the farms that the cows are living in?

Last time I checked, cows were quite capable of surviving without ranchers.

2. If farms were not maintained, and you were cow and had the intelligence of a human, what would you do?

How the Hell can anyone answer that question? You cannot equate the human experience to that of a cow. Cows did a very fine job of continuing their gene pool before farms existed. I would imagine from an evolutionary standpoint, nature didn't intend cows to spend all day in the metal pens that you are calling a home.

3. What is your guess on how much it costs the average farm simply to stay running?

Seeing how the vast majority of the meat market is controlled not by family farms, but by huge agribusiness, and further analyzing the profit margins and profitability of said agribusiness, I would imagine that running a farm is nowhere near as expensive in relation to profit as you are going to suggest. You might be able to point out that a certain Monsanto farm in Kentucky costs 2.1 million dollars a year to run, but that farm hosts thousands of profit producing cows. More traditional agriculture is startlingly cheap, because it lacks the mechanized apparatus necessary to satiate the insane consumer demand for meat and animal byproducts.

Your posts, Mr. RRR, are positively insane. You continually imply that animals "need" farms in order to survive; biological studies suggest quite the opposite.

Also, you have a very strange fixation on the principles of "equality" between the species. Domesticated farm animals are not humans. They have no need for the trappings of modern convenience, and insofar as you insinuate that they are part of a "work force" you completely neglect to understand that, while animals are given cages (or shelter as you like to call it) and feed (which they are quite capable of finding on their own in the wild), there are offered none of the luxuries given to human workers despite the fact that offer much higher profits to their owners (bosses) than human workers do.

You are also seemingly ignorant of capitalist economics. You love to exhort the virtues of free-range animal products, but neglect to realize a number of things. Due to NAFTA/WTO legislation, there is no requirement forcing manufacturers to actually engage in ethical animal treatment before placing such claims on their product. Most free-range products are NOT free range. Furthermore, if cruelty-free products were to take center-stage as opposed to their current niche market, the price of foodstuffs would skyrocket.

You also make illogical conclusions about the social hierarchy between animals and humans. How does veganism place an animal on top? Because the animals are freely enjoying what has been made available to them in the Earth's biosphere? Should the city of Detroit send me a bill if I eat some wild raspberries I find there? How does an animal exploit a human being?

Finally, if you really find it necessary to whine about how vegans are upsetting your silly notions of equality, do it in a new thread. This one isn't about your incoherent philosophies, so I kindly ask that you do not derail it.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:12 am
Ms. Stress
WanderingNomad
Ms. Stress
...but ice cream is my downfall...

I totally agree, Ice Cream is like the "food of the gods," sent straight from heaven! But..............I discovered something that was so freakin' good, that it made my toes curl! Literally! And that's Tofu Ice Cream.

They make it in gallons and even Ice Cream Sandwiches (mint, strawberry, vanilla, etc.) Honestly, you cannot tell the difference between this and "real" Ice Cream, because tofu actually has not taste whatsoever. It "absorbs" surrounding flavors. That's why it can be used in Lasagna, Shakes, Soups, just about anything really.

One benefit though is Tofu Ice Cream has less fat, and slightly more protein than regular ice cream. Some have slightly higher sugar content, and others have less. That's just something to check out.

I'm not saying you have to give up ice cream or anything.....Just wanted to provide an "alternative" for you just in case it sounds appealing to you. Trust me, I thought it sounded weird at first, but it is AMAZING!

If you do come across it, and decide to try it, let us know what you think.

biggrin

Oo sounds cool biggrin
I'll have to try it sometime, when I'm feeling daring :0

They actually also have Dairy-free ice cream. I bought it at wal-mart.Other than the price ((it was about 4 or 5 dollars just for a quart,which made my parents really unhappy sweatdrop )) It is actually really good. Its called.... Organic SO Delicious. And I think it tastes like cake mix ^^  

xxSweet Star-vation

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:02 pm
I'm a Lacto-Ovo-Vegetarian, though I think I'm lactose intolerant and I hardly ever eat eggs (unless they're in cake or somethin').  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:04 pm
Famicommie

Last time I checked, cows were quite capable of surviving without ranchers.

How the Hell can anyone answer that question? You cannot equate the human experience to that of a cow. Cows did a very fine job of continuing their gene pool before farms existed. I would imagine from an evolutionary standpoint, nature didn't intend cows to spend all day in the metal pens that you are calling a home.

Seeing how the vast majority of the meat market is controlled not by family farms, but by huge agribusiness, and further analyzing the profit margins and profitability of said agribusiness, I would imagine that running a farm is nowhere near as expensive in relation to profit as you are going to suggest. You might be able to point out that a certain Monsanto farm in Kentucky costs 2.1 million dollars a year to run, but that farm hosts thousands of profit producing cows. More traditional agriculture is startlingly cheap, because it lacks the mechanized apparatus necessary to satiate the insane consumer demand for meat and animal byproducts.

Your posts, Mr. RRR, are positively insane. You continually imply that animals "need" farms in order to survive; biological studies suggest quite the opposite.

Also, you have a very strange fixation on the principles of "equality" between the species. Domesticated farm animals are not humans. They have no need for the trappings of modern convenience, and insofar as you insinuate that they are part of a "work force" you completely neglect to understand that, while animals are given cages (or shelter as you like to call it) and feed (which they are quite capable of finding on their own in the wild), there are offered none of the luxuries given to human workers despite the fact that offer much higher profits to their owners (bosses) than human workers do.

You are also seemingly ignorant of capitalist economics. You love to exhort the virtues of free-range animal products, but neglect to realize a number of things. Due to NAFTA/WTO legislation, there is no requirement forcing manufacturers to actually engage in ethical animal treatment before placing such claims on their product. Most free-range products are NOT free range. Furthermore, if cruelty-free products were to take center-stage as opposed to their current niche market, the price of foodstuffs would skyrocket.

You also make illogical conclusions about the social hierarchy between animals and humans. How does veganism place an animal on top? Because the animals are freely enjoying what has been made available to them in the Earth's biosphere? Should the city of Detroit send me a bill if I eat some wild raspberries I find there? How does an animal exploit a human being?

Finally, if you really find it necessary to whine about how vegans are upsetting your silly notions of equality, do it in a new thread. This one isn't about your incoherent philosophies, so I kindly ask that you do not derail it.

I dont wont to pick a fight with you but cows do need humans to survive. At least most of them do.
And thats not their fault. Its our fault (humans). Like all domesticated animals their genes have been altered so drasticaly into human food producing creatures they lack the ability to look after themselves in the wild.

If the world goes vegan the dairy cows will die. Its an odd situation but one i'm comfortable with.  

Eye_seE

Love.Your.Hate.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:26 pm
I'm a gelatinarian, I guess. I'm a vegetarian who eats gelatin products.  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:14 am
[Matsuko]
About
In the last guild, several new members of both the guild or the diet have asked what the different types of vegetarianism are. I just thought I'd post this now before repeats start popping up.

NOTE: The following is a list of types of vegetarianism and diets related to vegetarianism. Some people may not think some entries belong here, but this is a resource and I'm trying to make it thorough but at the same time not a drag to read.

One particular issue was how semi-, pollo-, and pesce- tarianism should not really be considered a type of vegetarian diet. Most of these can be transition stages towards lacto-ovo-vegetarianism. Also, depending on a person's beliefs (religion), chicken and fish (and probably many other types of meat), may not be considered meat at all.

Types of Vegetarianism
...feel free to suggest more types of vegetarianism to put on the list...

Freegan:
Will only eat food that has or is about to be thrown away by someone else.
Semi-/Half-/Transitional/Social Vegetarians:
Eat meat, but try not to, or not so often.
Pollotarian:
Eat no meat or fish. They do consume poultry however (also eggs and milk).
Pescetarian:
Eat no meat or poultry. They do consume fish and other seafoods however (also eggs and milk).
Lacto-Vegetarians:
Eat no meat, fish, or poultry. They do consume milk and dairy products however.
Ovo-Vegetarians:
Eat no meat, fish, or poultry. They do consume eggs however.
Lacto-Ovo-Vegetarians:
Eat no meat, fish, or poultry. They do consume milk and dairy products and eggs however.
Sproutarian:
Eat mostly sprouted seeds, grains, pulses, and rice. They believe in eating all their sprouts and vegetables raw as virtually all the nutrients are lost when heated past 47C.
Beegans:
Eat nothing that comes from an animal except honey.
Vegans:
Eat nothing that comes from an animal (including milk, dairy products, eggs, honey, etc.)
Fruitarians:
Eat only foods of plant origin that can be obtained without killing the plant (such as fruits, nuts, seeds, etc.)
Macrobiotic:
Mostly vegetarian, but seafood is allowed. In the highest 'level' of Macro, only brown rice is eaten (considered unhealthy). This diet is based on the Chinese principals of yin and yang. It can be followed for a philosophical nature or for health reasons.

dont forget veganitarians...
veganitarians
Don't eat meat, poultry, fish, and dont drink/eat SOME milk products and mostly dont eat eggs or honey.. So, they are partially vegan, so they are called veganitarians!

(THAT'S MEE!)  

WORMTAIL IS CUTE

WORMTAIL IS CUTE

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:31 am
Soymilk_Gun
the dairy industry causes alot of suffering and murders the cows once their milk production starts to drop

meat is murder
eggs are murder
milk is murder
honey is murder
thee end

YES, MOST OF THE TIME THE COWS UTTERS GET INFECTED AND... PUS GETS IN THE MILK! THATS WHY I DONT DRINK MILK! WHENEVER I SEE MILK IM LIKE "pus in a carton.. Chococlate pus, strawberry pus... regular pus"

i try to eat the least dairy and eggs i can. The only time i really eat eggs is when im eating french toast, or eating vegetarian chicken and cake and cookies and all stuff like that... for me, taht would be EXTREMELY hard to give up. I wish vege chicken stuff didnt have eggs in it!. and the only time i eat honey is in honey bunches of oats and honey nut cheerios.. XD! So i am a VEERRY strict vegetarin. I call myself a veganitarian because i dont drink/ eat much milk, eggs, or honey.  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:35 am
Emo_KitKat
Ms. Stress
WanderingNomad
Ms. Stress
...but ice cream is my downfall...

I totally agree, Ice Cream is like the "food of the gods," sent straight from heaven! But..............I discovered something that was so freakin' good, that it made my toes curl! Literally! And that's Tofu Ice Cream.

They make it in gallons and even Ice Cream Sandwiches (mint, strawberry, vanilla, etc.) Honestly, you cannot tell the difference between this and "real" Ice Cream, because tofu actually has not taste whatsoever. It "absorbs" surrounding flavors. That's why it can be used in Lasagna, Shakes, Soups, just about anything really.

One benefit though is Tofu Ice Cream has less fat, and slightly more protein than regular ice cream. Some have slightly higher sugar content, and others have less. That's just something to check out.

I'm not saying you have to give up ice cream or anything.....Just wanted to provide an "alternative" for you just in case it sounds appealing to you. Trust me, I thought it sounded weird at first, but it is AMAZING!

If you do come across it, and decide to try it, let us know what you think.

biggrin

Oo sounds cool biggrin
I'll have to try it sometime, when I'm feeling daring :0

They actually also have Dairy-free ice cream. I bought it at wal-mart.Other than the price ((it was about 4 or 5 dollars just for a quart,which made my parents really unhappy sweatdrop )) It is actually really good. Its called.... Organic SO Delicious. And I think it tastes like cake mix ^^
omfg i had that once!!!!!!!!! yess i love organic stuff.. Like CHOCOLATE SOY MILK! and fake icecream.. they taste better than the real, and i know im not eating pus when i eat/drink them!
and i had the same kind too, from walmart!

yummmmm i love my vegetarian chicken patty!  

WORMTAIL IS CUTE

WORMTAIL IS CUTE

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:43 am
ive been Veganitarian for over a month but less then 2 months, Vegetarian for 5 months and 7 days, and i was pollotarian most of my life before that!  
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:04 am
Lacto-ovo vegetarian all the way.

That includes free-range chicken eggs and cow milk products in moderation; from time to time I replace the milk with soy and other vegetable milks, though because of the sometimes outrageous price, I could never move away from the lacto-label.

Eggs are essential for me because of health. I firmly believe in unfertilized eggs being a vital part of natural, healthy meat-free diet. As long as the birds are treated well (I know a lot about animal treatment from living in the countryside), I don't see this contradicting my ideology.  

AngwyMallard

BeautifullyBrokenx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:06 pm
Lacto-Ovo! :3  
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items