Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply Halls Of Learning [Classrooms]
Astronomy Have fun break [CLOSED] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taking Astronomy???
YEAH stars
100%
 100%  [ 10 ]
No...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

Aunt Slappy
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:02 pm
Syreyn
Amanda begins working on her classwork.

"My mother was taught was to remember the planets by saying MVEMJSUNP. (Em, Vem, Jay, Sun, Pee) They are Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Unranus, and Neptune. When she was taught Pluto was still considered a planet! That's why the "p" was at the end! I think that Pluto is not considered a planet anymore because it is not dominant in its "neighborhood". Charon, pluto's large "moon," is only about half the size of Pluto, while all the true planets are far larger than their moons. This began to make some scientists question whether or not it should be considered a planet. In 2006, I think it was, a new definition of what a planet what officially bumped pluto to a "dwarf" planet."

"I have been told that you can see Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn with only your eyes, if you know when and where to look. I can never find them! Have any of you had any luck? I might have spotted mars once, but I am still not sure!

"Does anyone else have a saying for remembering the planets? I once heard one that was something like, "My very excelent mother"....something, but I can't remember it!"

((Sorry if i got carried away! sweatdrop ))

Great work, and correct for why pluto is not a planet, also it depends where you are on the planet and if you know the orbits for the other planets to see them

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:03 pm
naturefreak3
Jenna thinks for a while then says, "The planets of our solar system, from the closest to the farthest to the sun are Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune. Pluto is no longer considered a planet, (as of 2006). New rules were created to define a planet, the new rules being that it had to orbit the Sun, it had to have enough mass and gravity to pull itself into a sphere, and it must have cleared its orbit. This is where Pluto falls short. Pluto only has a fraction of the weight of the other objects in its orbit, while Earth, in comparison, is more then a million times the mass of the objects in its orbit. he planets that are visible to the human eye are Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. Mercury is hard to spot, but it is proven to be visible.

Correct but as for Pluto there is something missing, but very good work, no need to change anything

Aunt Slappy
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

dancer_ attitude

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:40 am
"Ok, thanks, Professor!"  
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:37 pm
"i once talked to a centuar i was asking him how many planetws there were and other things about them he told me there these bodies in our solar sytem
Mercury
Venus
Earth
Mars
an asteroid belt
Jupiter
Saturn
Neptune
Uranus
pluto i asked him to point them out to me and he said he couldnt cause not all of them can be seen from here with out a telescope but he kindly pointed out he pointed out Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn and told me they are the brightest planets in the sky
i think pluto is not a planet any more cause muggle scientests decided that pluto doesnt fit the basic desriptions of what a planet is.

The new definition of planet excludes Pluto because a planet must have cleared its orbit. Pluto is a part of the Kuiper belt, and has not absorbed most of the cometary bodies into itself, or captured them as satellites. Pluto is therefore a dwarf planet.

The rules of a planet are:
•It orbits the Sun
•It is large enough for gravity to squash it into a sphere
•It must have cleared its orbit

Pluto's orbit has Neptune and many other icy bodies in its path.
The definition of planet was changed in 2008 by the International Astronomical Union (IAU). As a dwarf planet Pluto is in the same category as Eris (which is bigger than Pluto), Ceres (king of the asteroids), and possibly other bodies being discovered in the Kuiper Belt."

techpriest35
Crew

Dangerous Mage

13,790 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150

JuuzousJason XIII

Vicious Lunatic

22,025 Points
  • Team Jet 75
  • Married 100
  • Team Kitten Star 75
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:04 pm
Name the planets of the solar system, and why Pluto is not considered a planet, also what planets are visible to the naked eye.

"There is something that I learned a long time ago to remember all the names of the planets.

My-Mercury
Very-Venus
Energetic-Earth
Mother-Mars
Just-Jupiter
Served-Saturn
Us-Uranus
Nine-Neptune
Pizzas-Pluto

Of course without Pluto it's just my very energetic mother just served us napkins...or something like that. XD

Pluto is no longer a planet and is said to be a dwarf star rather then a planet as described by muggle scientists. They have the following descriptions for items in our galaxy.

Planets: The eight worlds starting with Mercury and moving out to Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.
Dwarf planets: Pluto and any other round object that "has not cleared the neighborhood around its orbit, and is not a satellite."
Small solar system bodies: All other objects orbiting the sun.

There are several dwarf planets in space and they classified Pluto as a dwarf planet.

The planets that can be seen by the naked eye and without a telescope are Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. They are the five brightest planets and can be seen if we know where to look."

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:29 pm
Professor Grey looks at parchments submitted, and decided to make an announcement, Alright i would like to first say you can re-attempt EC, Second you do not just google something and write the first thing that comes up. Even though it is online does not mean it is correct. Study before you attempt to answer and then give me an answer

Aunt Slappy
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

Syreyn

10,350 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:19 am
"Thank you Professor!" Amanda says, as she hurries back to the Library  
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:56 pm
Jenna smiles, reading her book. She might as well see what she was missing from her Pluto assignment.  

dancer_ attitude

Riku Masen

Chatty Seeker

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:53 pm

Riku begins the classwork.

"The planets of the solar systems are Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. Pluto is not considered a planet because muggle scientist discovered that there was an object was that was the same size or even larger than Pluto. The muggles managed to figure that this object was larger then Pluto and they voted on what a planet is and decided that Pluto is not a planet but a dwarf planet. The planets that a visible to the naked eye are Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn, being the five brightest planets."

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:44 pm
Professor Grey makes an announcement: Due to an error that i committed....I did not ask specifically what kind of answer i wanted for the extra credit.....i was asking for the official classification of the sun, many answered yellow dwarf which is an informal classification, and was the previous classification before the creation of the H-R diagram, which classifies the star properly, because Riku and Jenna gave me the Official classification i will double their EC Points i will also double the EC points for James, and Yami for being Great students and clearing questions they had with me that helped me come to this conclusion......in other words everyone with recieve points, and those yet to complete the work i want the OFFICIAL CLASSIFICATION...Thank You

Aunt Slappy
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

DownAzzLette

12,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:24 pm
Writes down the lesson before turning in the classwork. The Planets of the Solar system are: Venus, Jupiter, Mercury, Earth, Mars, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. Pluto use to be considered a planet. But it is not because it is considered a dwarf planet. Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn can be seen with only your eyes. I know in the Summer time when my brother and I go swimming at night we can spot Mars clear as you would the blue sky during the day.  
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:18 pm
Jenna smiles, "Thanks, Professor!"  

dancer_ attitude

Syreyn

10,350 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:38 pm
Yami Enzeru88
Name the planets of the solar system, and why Pluto is not considered a planet, also what planets are visible to the naked eye.

"There is something that I learned a long time ago to remember all the names of the planets.

My-Mercury
Very-Venus
Energetic-Earth
Mother-Mars
Just-Jupiter
Served-Saturn
Us-Uranus
Nine-Neptune
Pizzas-Pluto

Of course without Pluto it's just my very energetic mother just served us napkins...or something like that. XD

Pluto is no longer a planet and is said to be a dwarf star rather then a planet as described by muggle scientists. They have the following descriptions for items in our galaxy.

Planets: The eight worlds starting with Mercury and moving out to Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.
Dwarf planets: Pluto and any other round object that "has not cleared the neighborhood around its orbit, and is not a satellite."
Small solar system bodies: All other objects orbiting the sun.

There are several dwarf planets in space and they classified Pluto as a dwarf planet.

The planets that can be seen by the naked eye and without a telescope are Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. They are the five brightest planets and can be seen if we know where to look."

Yeah that one! I knew there was one that had something to do with "my mother"  
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:52 pm
Does anyone know how i can fix the score sheet, it was fine a minute ago

Aunt Slappy
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

dancer_ attitude

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:59 pm
((no... hmmm I'm not sure, sorry!))  
Halls Of Learning [Classrooms]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items