Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Tamora Pierce Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ckmidnight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:57 pm
After Tris is Briar's one. It's supposed to be about what happened in Yanjing. I've been looking forward to that. It will answer the most popular questin yet: "What the flip happened there?!"  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:33 am
I really wanna read that one, too. Briar's my second favorite character in the series. Plus, I'm just really curious about what happened.  

NightIntent
Captain

Lady Reader 2

Interesting Lunatic

12,375 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:04 pm
I first started to read her books out of order sweatdrop , but once I started I could not stop! I love all her books! blaugh 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:24 pm
Tamora Pierce is by far my favourite author, and has been ever since high school when I picked up her lovely imaginative Wild Magic series. I went from that series backwards to Alanna, then forwards to the Protector of the Small.

After that it was a bit of a wait until the Trickster series - I avoided the Circle of Magic series for a long time, mainly because they weren't set in the Tortal universe. Last year, however, I bit the bullet and explored a world without Tortall. Whilst they were well written, I didnt really get into the Circle series as much as the others, although I thought Will of the Empress marked a distinct growth for Pierce as an author (a main character in a same sex relationship? How scandelous! Haha, loved it).

I held my breath for the latest series, which premiered with Terrier. Whilst I adored the characters, the plot, and the integrity of the book, I wasn't quite so sure about the style. Journal entries as a novel doesn't tend to sit very well with me - it is simply too easy to mess up. Plus, where's the sense of jeopardy, you know? I mean, nothing TOO bad could have happened, if the main character is home and safe and writing about it. Still, the entries got lengthier throughout the book, so it was easier to forgot about this tiny hiccup in style. It then just gave the novel a sense of immediacy, which I quite like.

So, in summary? Long live Tamora Pierce! lol. I own all her works (even the Circle series, which I didnt like so much), and will continue to read her well into the future.  

Lainy122

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:08 pm
The Circle books aren't in the Tortall Universe? Huh. I never caught that, in the one I read (Will of the Empress). I knew it was a different place, but assumed it was the same planet & landmass & all.

I have a mixed reaction to the Trickster books. On the one hand, I think Pierce is really getting better at pacing & character development & the plot has more depth.

On the other hand... I had a hard time with Aly's age and an even harder time with Dove's. However, when I forgot about the ages & thus mentally thought of them a year or two older, I was throughly immersed in the books.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:28 pm
I have most of hers... I liked the Circle books, but I haven't read the Will of the Empress yet. I lost interest in Trickster's Choice a few chapters in a gave up on that one, I didn't think it was as good as some of her others.  

Drake_Orion

Quotable Survivor

thenerdqueen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:11 pm
When I first started reading Tamora Pierce's books, I was in the 3rd grade. I really liked her books then, because I could relate. However, I love her new books as well. She has tried new styles and formats of writing, so as not to get stuck writing the same old thing. And, honestly, I heart love heart her new stuff just as much, if not more than the old. The Trickster books are excellent; The Will of The Emperess, well, don't get me started. I'll admit that Terrier was not my favorite, but it certainly was not put on my "Never Read Again" list. Her old quartets are good, but she needs to move on to other writing styles.  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:11 pm
I think that the Tortall books and the Cirle books are inn the same universe. They've certainly heard of each other, and they seem to be only seperated by a sea. In both there is evidence of the Carthaki Isles and other such important places. I rest my case.  

ckmidnight

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:15 pm
Where is there evidence that the two places have heard of each other? I can't think of any. It's been a long time since I've read the Circle books, but I don't remember any references to Carthak or anything like it. And Carthak isn't a collection of islands, it's a country. Maybe you mean the Copper Isles? n.n"  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:38 pm
I can't wait for Elkhound to come out.  

Mikiela

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:45 pm
Me, too! But it doesn't come out until next year sometime. Wait, no. Bloodhound comes out next year, and Elkhound the year after. And that's the end of the series.  
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:04 pm
Tamora Pierce is one of my favorite authors. I think the Song of the Lioness series is her best so far. It's just an opinion, haha.  

Ignorance Xx is xX Bliss

kel aka gandy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:09 pm
OMG! I love Tamora Pierce. I can't tell you the number of people I've gotten hooked on her books. I think the only one I haven't read is Daja's Book from the first Circle of Magic series, I just can't seem to get my hands on a copy...

I started reading Terrier last night and stayed up to about 2:30 reading. I just couldn't put it down. I kind of spoiled myself by looking at the last few pages, as I have a habit of doing, and now as I read it, I can see all the little hints put in that make the outcome obvious...It's so well written.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:08 pm
I love all of Tamora Pierce's books!! heart My favorite is The Immortals series. However, I don't like the fourth one because (spoiler-kinda) Rikash dies..HE'S MY FAVORITE CHARACTER!!!!!!!!!!! Not just in the Immortals series, but in ALL of her books....it's not fair.... crying . When does the book about Maura come out and what's it called?? I don't really like her but I have to read it to find out what happens to her. sweatdrop  

music_of_shadows

Cluttered Genius

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:56 pm
I know, I loved Rikash! He was the best Stormwing, period. I hated when he died.

The Maura book is scheduled for release in 2011. It's untitled as of yet, and the date will likely change. There are no definite release dates for anything after spring of 2009.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff