Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply Harry Potter Guild of Gaia
The Hogwarts Monthly! May Issue 2015 [OPEN READ ME] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24 25 26 27 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you ready for the new issue !?
  Yes!!
  I didn't know we had a paper.
  Can I please be a writer !?
View Results

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:38 am
Issue Name: June Issue
Issue Number: 2.6
Editors: Avatar34 (Tina Aurora) and Lyra Elizabeth

Table of Contents:

Page 1: Table of Contents
Page 2: Event (Part 1)
Page 3: Birthdays
Page 4: Event (Part 2)
Page 5: The Latest in Divination
Page 6: Ask the Elf!
Page 7: Book Review
Page 8: Just for Fun
Page 9: Around Hogwarts
Page 10: Member of the Month
Page 11: Note from the Editor
Page 12: Staff  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:49 am

╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮

Event

Spoiler

This month marks the day of the Battle of the Towers. So, for this Event article (Parts 1 and 2), I thought that we should have someone who has not read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and someone who has. These articles do have Spoilers in them, so, if you don’t want to know don’t read this or Part 2 of this article. Otherwise, these are for the most part opinion articles and when reading them please take that into account, thank you. Now, without further a due, here are the articles.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince… it’s a very interesting name. As the rest of J.K. Rowling's books, I was looking forward to reading it. It was bound to bring some thrill, confusion, excitement, and every other emotion known to wizards, muggles, and mythical creatures.

That title alone was enough for me to take out my wand and head for the next Harry Potter movie to be out in the nearest theater. I didn’t use my wand but, it was fun to poke others with it while it started. Anyway, I'll keep focused on the book and comment on my experience with the movie later on.

At first, I thought that the title had something to do with Harry Potter directly (with him being a pureblood with a, pardon my French, mud-blood mother). My first impression was that Harry had some special powers to figure out how to find Voldemort’s weakness. Perhaps, some lost heritage that ran through his bloodline which would make him stronger.

If not Harry, then perhaps Voldemort. He was, of course, my second guess. I always thought that Voldemort, hating the wizards that are not purebloods, would have something like this hidden within him. Perhaps, in some strange twist of fate, Voldemort is more powerful because, of the thing that he hates most, being a half-blood, and this makes him even more of a challenge for our beloved heroes.

The book had a lot to offer; I could tell by the many summaries that I looked up, and by the way my friends tried to explain everything to me. Of course, it's better to figure things out first hand, so I gave up on the spoilers and decided to wait.

Compared to the other books, I believed that Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was definitely going to be something confusing, and even heart-attack worthy. That it will keep bringing up new things that were right there, under the reader's nose, and nobody ever noticed.

I watched the movie, and was surprised to find out that Snape was the Prince all along! I still don’t understand the importance of him being the Half-Blood Prince. Perhaps, it will be better explained in the book than it was in the film. Of course, the only way to find out is to read it and hope that it will be, or that it’ll stretch the mystery even further.

gothangel12345

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:00 am

June Birthdays

HPGoG would like to wish a spectacular birthday to:

Lady Enoimerah (June 11)
The Queen Lana (June 23)
Lyra Elizabeth (June 24)
Oshenukhar (June 29)
Jeweled_raven (June 30)

User Image

If your birthday is in June but is not listed here, please post it in this thread.

Lyra Elizabeth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:02 am

Event Part 2

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is a story full of drama, anguish, love, and new discoveries. It takes place in the middle of the second war for good versus evil. Throughout the book it tells the tale of Harry trying to make it through yet another year at Hogwarts, but this year he gets help from a book that belonged to someone by the name of The Half-Blood Prince. The Prince, helps Harry with his Potions class, as well as creates some new spells that Harry has never heard of before but, he is very much interested in trying them out. Harry and Ron are not apprehensive about using the guidance of the Prince but, Hermione and Ginny don’t agree. In Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry begins to discover more about Voldemort's past; under Dumbledore's guidance, he also has a growing obsession that Draco Malfoy is up to no good. He falls in love, he loses a mentor, and learns what a Horcrux is.

For some of us, when we think of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince one particular incident that comes to mind is the Battle of the Tower where there is a confrontation between Draco Malfoy and Dumbledore. Here, Dumbledore discusses with Draco the things he has done throughout the school year to bring him to complete the task that was given to him, and why and who he is doing it for. Even though Draco was given this task and tried to complete it, it was not in his heart to do so. The only reason he kept attempting to complete the task was to protect himself and his family. With the offer of protection and help from Headmaster Dumbledore, Draco was ready to lower his wand but, the rest of the Death Eaters arrived by then. That is when things changed slightly. The Death Eaters kept taunting Draco to go ahead and kill Dumbledore but, ended up noticing that he is not strong enough to. Some of the other Death Eater try to say that they will, while others kept saying, no, that is Draco Malfoy’s task. Then, appears Severus Snape, who pushes Draco out of the way and stares at Dumbledore who then proceeds to begs Severus, for what we do not truly know but one can guess. Severus pulls his wand on Dumbledore and sends the killing curse at him. The force of the spell sends Dumbledore’s body off of the Astronomy Tower and down onto the Grounds. Once the Death Eaters see that he is dead they run for it but, Harry after finally being un-immobilized proceeds to chase after Snape and as he does all through out the school you can see fighting going on between the D.A., Teachers, and Order of Phoenix alike. Harry, trails after Severus Snape and Draco Malfoy to try and prevent them from leaving but, winds up unsuccessful. Before Severus leaves the school premises he tells Harry that he is the Half-Blood Prince. After the battle is over it was time to grieve for the loss of a beloved Headmaster, mentor, and friend, as well as take care of those who were hurt during the Battle. Harry then vows to complete the tasks that Dumbledore had already started and Hermione and Ron vow to help him as well.

I think that the Towers Battle was a very heart wrenching experience. It was also a very big eye opener. It points out that even though it may seem like there is no way out and nothing to do, there is always an option. That sometimes if you ask for help you may just get it.

DownAzzLette (Kamalia)

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:04 am

The Latest in Divination

User ImageJune Horoscope for Aquarius (Jan. 20 - Feb. 18 ) On June 6, Jupiter joins Uranus in Aries in your solar 3rd house of communications. This is an extreme combination and it’s hard to say how it will play out given the other influences of the month. Normally, Aries is a very enthusiastic sign and Jupiter is a very enthusiastic planet, so enthusiastic that their zeal knows no bounds. Put them together with Aquarius and I suppose one of you could suddenly start a new religion (Jupiter represents establishing religions) and start trying to convert the entire world–with goodness knows what consequences. On the other hand, we have a lunar eclipse in Capricorn this month on the 26th, and that could be churning up chunks of lava from your subconscious mind that prevent you from going all the way off the deep end regarding whatever it is that Jupiter and Uranus in Aries are so enthusiastic about. You may have other things to deal with. Also, this volatile combination of enthusiasm and zeal are taking place in your solar 3rd house, and typically whatever planets land here are subject to Aquarian scrutiny before natives start letting them throw wild pitches. Furthermore, Mars enters Virgo this month (on the 7th), which means Aquarians have to start paying attention to their finances and their health again and have to remain at least somewhat focused on practical matters. Still, in spite of all the factors that take away from the focus on Jupiter and Uranus, the underlying fact is that the universe seems to be encouraging Aquarius to speak up with a certain amount of energy. Uranus and Jupiter both look at the big picture and social issues, so the guessing money indicates that Aquarians are being prodded to express their opinions on issues like religion, politics, and so on. Bottom line: if you can find someone or something to support, it seems you can make a contribution to the world now.

User Image
June Horoscope for Pisces (Feb. 19 - Mar. 20) There’s a lunar eclipse in Capricorn this month, on the 26th. Capricorn represents the part of the Pisces chart dealing with ultimate aspirations, hopes and wishes, big dreams, grand schemes, great works, and so on. All very appropriate for the sign of Capricorn. Pluto is already circulating through this part of your chart. Pluto’s the most powerful planet in astrology (sorry, astronomers, Pluto’s still a planet to me), which indicates that large transformations are eventually indicated for you in this area of your life. The lunar eclipse represents one step in that ongoing process of transformation. This series started last year and wraps up next year. Once this cycle ends in 2011, you won’t see eclipses dealing with your aspirations for about another 10 years. So…this month, you need to make sure yours are realistic. Make adjustments as needed. Your hopes and dreams are part of your long-term guidance system–make sure it’s calibrated. Meanwhile, good news on the work front. Although Mars is leaving your work sector on the 7th, Venus enters it on the 14th. Meanwhile, Jupiter enters your income sector on the 6th. Translation: money. Your finances may be unstable in the years ahead, but right now, if you exert some effort, you could make some money while there are good aspects between money planets in your income and job sectors. Go for it. Finally, when Mars leaves your work sector, he enters your relationship sector. There he joins Saturn. The idea seems to be that you want some sort of tangible result for all the effort you put into your relationship or relationships. You may try to finally nail down some sort of a commitment before the end of July.

User ImageJune Horoscope for Aries (Mar. 21 - Apr. 19) Big month for Aries. First, I’ll mention the lunar eclipse in Capricorn on June 26. Lunar eclipses are supposed to signal endings. Briefly, Capricorn represents your 10th house of career. Therefore, a lunar eclipse in super shorthand terms would represent an ending in your career. It’s a bit more complicated in real life. Pluto’s already in your solar 10th house, trying to figure out what exactly the 10th house of career really means to you in your life. So an eclipse could represent an adjustment in the direction of matching up reality with meaning, or with your true desires. Or it could mean nothing at all. Sometimes the universe decides ‘ah, let’s sit this one out.’ You never know with eclipses. But at least you have a head’s up. Second I’ll mention that Jupiter is joining Uranus in your sign this month. Now you’ve got a big thought-oriented planet in your sign (Uranus) and a more feeling or instinct based planet (Jupiter) in your sign. Or you might say that Jupiter is faith-based. Basically, Jupiter just bounces around doing what it wants to do. It will be bouncing around with Uranus during the 2nd week of June. A rough translation of this might be that you personally could feel that you are bouncing off the walls. Or your thoughts may be bouncing off the walls. You could be super-revved up. Those who are not as sensitive may be a little revved up or gently energized. What you decide to do with the energy is your free choice–your sign, your choice. Next, Mars, your ruler, enters Virgo on the 7th. Hasn’t been there for awhile. Mars is your action planet. Well, okay, he’s everyone’s action planet. Action in this case would be oriented around work or health. Go for it.

User Image
June Horoscope for Taurus (Apr. 20 - May 20) June 26 sees a lunar eclipse in Capricorn. Lunar eclipses are little more introspective than solar eclipses. That is, they are more about feeling something than doing something or having something happen. That’s usually especially true when it’s in the 9th house, like this one is for your sign. Most likely, nothing too noticeable will happen outwardly, but you may want to observe your own emotional state or even your mental state around that time because you may feel a shift. The 9th house governs intellectual processes and beliefs, and sometimes we let an outdated belief go during a lunar eclipse in this sector. Jupiter also moves into Aries during June. There it joins Uranus, which entered Aries in late May. These two placements also affect your mental processes and your psychological processes. The most beneficial thing they can do is help you understand yourself so that you can get rid of ideas or habits that cause you pain. Over the next few years, a clash is scheduled between any rigid beliefs you have from the past (represented by Pluto in Capricorn) and any new ideas you are attempting to incorporate into your life (represented by Uranus in Aries). There will be quite a struggle for personal growth in your chart. This is a struggle you want to win. The more work you can do on yourself voluntarily, the better. That will make things much easier when the more difficult aspects come into play. Set aside some time for reflection this month if at all possible. Finally, Mars moves into Virgo this month. That’s just an excuse to have some fun. So have some.

User ImageJune Horoscope for Gemini (May 21 - June 20) Lots of shifts in June. Eclipse season starts with a lunar eclipse in Capricorn on June 26. Mars moves into Virgo after spending about 8 months in Leo. Jupiter joins Uranus in Aries. Basically, the summer heats things up in an astrological sense. So let’s go over what some of this might mean for you. First off, the eclipse: This eclipse series, which started last summer, has been more powerful than the one before it, in 2007 and 2008. You may remember the craziness of last summer. This eclipse happens to fall in your deep and mysterious 8th house, where the deep and mysterious Pluto is currently traveling. Sometimes that means that something surprisingly deep and mysterious will happen. Usually, however, it doesn’t. What it usually means is that something not all that deep or mysterious will happen that will later prove to have surprisingly deep and long-lasting effects. Example: woman got into a minor car wreck. Decided she got into it because she was going out to get cigarettes, decided to quit smoking, which had, of course, long lasting effects. Man finds out he needs minor surgery for intestinal polyps, which leads him to change his eating habits for the long term. Woman gets her purse snatched walking her dog, which leads her to move to a new neighborhood. Small things that end up having big effects. Mars in Virgo can also be kind of deep because it’s at the bottom of your chart, hanging out with the relatively deep Saturn in the same sign. Strangely, they also like to focus on the small stuff. These two planets would be digging around for problems and/or opportunities in your home and family life. As in small stuff that bugs you deeply. Or small stuff that could be corrected for big gain. Jupiter and Uranus in Aries–not so deep. They are making more of a lateral move out of your outwardly focused career house into your also outwardly focused sector of social life and community participation. The real change that they are making is that they don’t care quite so much what other people think about your career or reputation any more. They care more about what you want. If you want to put lampshades on your head and dance around on tables til dawn, they will pretty much support you. Their motto is that while you may only be young once, you can be immature forever. Your job will be to figure out what kind of immaturity suits you best at this stage of your life. As for the rest of the year, the energy of this month will be in play for much of the next 12 months, with a big exception. Energy will shift away from home and family and toward love, creativity and children. As it shifts toward love, creativity, and children, the deepness aspect gets depthier and depthier. Layers and layers of creative emotion will be there to be explored if you care to explore them. This is not exactly supposed to be easy, in the sense that the aspects are supposed to be difficult for all the signs over the next 12 months. However, your particular isn’t scheduled to be hit especially hard, and nothing especially negative is likely to happen based on your sun sign. It really is just a matter of how much exploring you want to do.

User Image
June Horoscope for Cancer (June 21 - July 22) June’s a potentially big month for Cancer. It starts off eclipse season with an eclipse in Capricorn on the 26th. There’s a solar eclipse in your sign on July 11. You could essentially feel either one at any time, since eclipses are the sort of astrological event that promise they’ll be at the party at 10 and then show up anywhere from 8 to midnight. These eclipses fall along the self/relationships axis. Eclipses along this line most frequently demand honesty. They’re sort of a test of integrity in a way. They can cause upsets, but things fall into place in time if you are true to yourself. Sounds cliched, but so far as I have observed, it seems to be true. This probably goes double now that Cancers are dealing with Pluto in Capricorn in their 7th house of relationships. Pluto almost always demands honesty anyway. It’s useless to lie to Pluto and just as useless to hope he’ll be nice and lie to you either. Might as well get practice in being truthful with yourself and others now. As if Pluto and eclipses aren’t enough to deal with, you also now have two outer planets in your career sector. Jupiter joins Uranus in your 10th house of career this month. This is an interesting combination. Interesting is a code word for potentially difficult but not necessarily doomed. While Pluto is demanding uprightness and rooting out corruption and dishonesty in your dealings with others, Uranus and perhaps Jupiter are racing toward shortcuts that will get you to the top ASAP, no questions asked. Uranus in particular does not really care about honesty or proper behavior or your reputation or following the rules or any of the things that Pluto and Capricorn would care about. And to make things just a teeny bit more complicated, Neptune is sneaking around in a hidden part of your chart, tip-toeing around with the clandestine knowledge that it carries the subconscious desire of parts of your chart to ditch the integrity thing altogether and take the easy way out–partly because it thinks that’s what other people want you to do. In other words, there’s a clash brewing. Over the next few years, you are going to need to figure out how to handle the competing desires in your chart to ‘act right’ and to ‘get to the top super-fast.’ You don’t need to figure it all out in June, but it would help to be aware that a mighty impatience in your chart with slow career progress is bursting out like the sun after a cloudburst. On a more temporary note, Mars enters Virgo in June. Mars is on Pluto’s side in the act right/move fast debate. It is also tired of having been in good-time Leo for 8 months and it is feeling kind of persnickety. It may feel like telling everyone you know about that in June. If you find yourself saying persnickety things to people for no reason, it is okay to apologize to people and tell them it is a mood that will pass eventually.

User ImageJune Horoscope for Leo (July 23 - Aug. 22) Eclipse this month; Jupiter leaves Pisces; Mars leaves your sign; and Chiron stations. So, let’s get down to brass tacks. There’s a lunar eclipse in Capricorn on June 26 in your solar 6th house of work and health. Pluto is already traveling in this sector of your chart. Lunar eclipses are sometimes characterized as moody little puppies that bring emotional upsets. Sometimes they do. Sometimes, however, they bring emotional celebrations. It partly depends on how much effect Pluto is already having on this area of your life. For example, if you have really been working hard to get a job and been really gloomy and depressed–well, a lunar eclipse can bring a joyous surprise and an end to your job search. If this sort of thing (or any health-related matters) aren’t even on your radar, the chances of an event go down. Jupiter moving from Pisces to Aries is less ambiguous. This is likely to be a positive event. Aries is a more compatible sign with Leo than Pisces is, and Jupiter is moving from the rather dark 8th house of your chart to the brighter-humored 9th house of travel, education, and philosophy. This is likely to perk you up. Jupiter will join Uranus in Aries. Although neither planet may signal big changes in your life right away (unless you were born at the very beginning of the sign), both can boost your mood. Chiron will also station in your 8th house of healing this month. The healing may be physical or psychological. Sometimes a planet stationing coincides with a ‘healing crisis.’ In other words, things get worse before they get better, or things come to a head. This will only apply to a certain percentage of you, but may provide an explanation if things take a sudden turn. Finally, Mars leaves your sign after 8 months on the 7th. Here it will join Saturn for awhile. The combined effect of Mars and Saturn in Virgo may a) have you focusing a bit more on finances than usual and b) may you feel a bit less outgoing and chatty than you might otherwise feel. The sun will be in Gemini in your socializing 11th house for the first part of the month, so you won’t necessarily be a wallflower, but the overall aspects aren’t quite as exuberant as they have been for Leo over the past 8 months. As the month winds to a close, more planets will be in Cancer, the part of your chart where they need to take a rest. So it might actually be helpful to withdraw a little.

User Image
June Horoscope for Virgo (Aug. 23 - Sept. 22) Wow, June is a heavy month astrologically. By this I do not mean that you will gain weight, because you probably won’t. Not with Saturn in your sign. Saturn disapproves of weight gain. You may even lose some. No, I mean psychologically heavy. First, there’s an eclipse in Capricorn on June 26, a lunar eclipse. It’s another indication that the stars are taking your love life very seriously this year. Pluto’s already taking your love life seriously, and between Pluto and the eclipse, if someone doesn’t fit the bill in June–out he or she is likely to go. You may or may not agree with the assessment of Pluto and the eclipse as to the worthiness of individual that gets the heave-ho, but the track record of the stars on these things is pretty good. That doesn’t mean that you are pre-ordained for a sudden break-up in June, just that the skies are in a scrutinizing mood. They are also taking your children and your creative projects seriously too. If there’s something in either of these areas that needs your attention, they will probably try to point it out to you. Next, we have Jupiter joining Uranus in your psychologically heavy 8th house. What this will actually mean in your life is ambiguous, other than that a lot of energy is massing in one particular spot in your chart. The most likely guess (and it’s just a guess) is that you will feel that something is out of balance, that there is a tug pulling you toward dealing with something that’s still difficult to resolve. For some people, the issue will be obvious–debt, financial problems, a divorce, a particular physical problem that needs to be healed, etc. Jupiter will theoretically both help bring the issue to a crisis point and help you get some relief more speedily. What makes it psychologically heavy is that although Uranus and Jupiter will only be in this area of your chart for a couple of months this time around, Uranus will actually spend about 7 years there starting 2011. Subconsciously at least, your chart knows this is the beginning of an ongoing issue that you’ll need to deal with. I suppose the smart Virgo thing to do would be to put on your detective hat and see what clues you can gather from this month’s circumstances, so you can be prepared for the future. Last but not least, you are carrying two planets in your sign this month. Mars enters Virgo on the 7th, joining Saturn. Both leave in July. A few short weeks and you will be released from the burden of Saturn, a burden that won’t return for almost 30 years. Things are about to lighten up!

User ImageJune Horoscope for Libra (Sept. 23 - Oct. 22) Gosh, so much is happening in June. Let’s start with Jupiter moving into Aries on the 6th. Jupiter is supposed to be the planet that brings understanding to the area that he visits, as well as expansion and sometimes good fortune. He’ll be paired up with Uranus, a planet that frequently brings insight as well as change. They’ll both be visiting your solar sector of relationships. Boom! In theory, you get greater comprehension of relationships (or perhaps a particular relationship). Libra loves to understand relationships! So this is seemingly a good turn of events for Libra, playing to the sign’s strong suit. Libras who are not currently in a relationship may get opportunities to enter into one. This is also an airy month, because there’s lot of Gemini energy going on. Libra’s an air sign, so that’s good, too. Gemini’s a pretty smart sign, and it gets along with the Aries energy. Again, theoretically, you get Libra understanding cheerfully expanding. The Gemini energy is strong through the 24th. Another good way to use the energy is to go on vacation or go on an adventure or explore new experiences. So far, so good for an upbeat month for Libra. There is one potential glitch around the 26th. A lunar eclipse in Capricorn on the 26th falls in the sector that governs home and family. If the eclipse affects you (not all eclipses affect all people), it would seemingly indicate some sort of ending or upset in this area of your life.

User Image
June Horoscope for Scorpio (Oct. 23 - Nov. 21) First on the agenda for June: Jupiter moving into Aries on the 6th. Be on the lookout for sudden, unexpected job opportunities. Jupiter joins Uranus in the job sector of your chart, so most of the opportunities are likely to come in the form of short-term, temporary, free-lance, or independent contractor work. Jobs that require you to be outgoing, independent, show initiative or even aggression or a competitive spirit are the most promising. Other areas job-hunting Scorpios can investigate are those in Mars-ruled industries like those involving metals, tools and instruments, the military, energy, and heating and cooling. Jupiter is all about expansion, so if you already have a job, even part-time or free-lance work, look for ways to increase the extent of it. Finally, if you are looking to get experience in a new field, Jupiter will help you try to get it. Keep your eyes peeled for opportunities. Travel may also be on the agenda for some Scorpios. Long-distance travel energy hovers around most of the month. The only week that does not have long-distance travel energy is the week of the 14th through the 20th. Scorpios without funds for travel may do some armchair traveling via books or even web-surfing. Learning about your family may appeal. There may be a sudden short trip on the agenda around the 26th, or, alternatively, a planned short trip may be canceled at the last minute. Finally, the pace of your social life may also pick up after the 7th, as Mars tries to increase the volume of your social contacts.

User ImageJune Horoscope for Sagittarius (Nov. 22 - Dec. 21) On June 6, your ruler moves into Aries. Here it will be eager to plunge itself into a new area of activity. This area could be simply having fun. It could be a brand new love affair. It could be greater involvement with your children and their activities. It could be a brand new creative project. Whatever it is, it will want to jump right in, like a kid cannonballing into a summer swimming pool. Go ahead, make a splash. In a way, this transition of Jupiter into Aries keeps the excitement in your chart going. For about 8 months, Mars in Leo has been in an adventurous part of your chart. Whether you’ve listened to its urgings or not, it has been eager to explore, to expose you to new things, and challenge you. It’s been in recreation mode. Now Mars gets back to business, moving into your career sector on the 7th. Here it joins Saturn. This is much more serious stuff. Whenever the pressure heats up at work, remember that you have fun-loving Jupiter at your side. Take heart in knowing also that Venus will move into your vacation sector on the 14th and stay there through the end of the month. In fact, the 14th and 15th are really great days for a fun family vacation with the kids. If school is out, treat them to a day at the amusement park. Around the 26th, you may experience a temporary financial setback. Although perhaps upsetting, it is unlikely to be permanent. Guard your valuables while traveling.

User Image
June Horoscope for Capricorn (Dec. 22 - Jan. 19) Jupiter and Mars change signs this month and there’s a lunar eclipse in your sign. First, let’s talk about Jupiter moving into Aries and your solar sector of house and home. Here he joins Uranus, which entered this same sector on May 27. Together, these two planets in Aries stand for the antithesis of everything that Capricorn is supposed to be about. They hate forethought. They hate caution. They want to do things impulsively without thinking them through, without regard for the consequences, without patience, without preparation. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. This puts your sign in something of a dilemma. Is their approach a good one? Could you use a little of that verve, courage and boldness in your life? Or are they trying to ruin everything you’ve worked for? Are they insane? Or crazy like a fox? You’re going to have to figure that out over the next couple of months, especially if you were born at the very beginning of your sign. (If you were born at the very beginning of your sign, you may be mighty tired of having to figure things out, I’ll grant you.) This is a tough question, because the answer depends on your own circumstances. The energy is neither good nor bad. It is different from the energy of your sign’s reputation, but it is neutral in and of itself. It is how you choose to integrate it that determines whether you like it or not. It’s all in how you look at it. Mars also changes signs this month. It moves from Leo, where it’s been hanging out in your mysterious 8th house into Virgo, where it joins Saturn in your 9th house. Here we have another strange juxtaposition. Mars is an Aries planet, lacking caution and forethought. Saturn is your ruling planet, and is the patron saint of caution and forethought. It’s the same conflict repeated–because the 9th house is the house of beliefs or perspective. Which is the right way to look at it? The Mars way or the Saturn way? A combination way? Calculated risk? Boldness with backup? Courage with Plan B? Stuff to think about. Then we have a lunar eclipse in your sign on June 26. This may or may not affect you. If it does, it will usually signify the universe’s attempt to rattle you and get you to make a decision really quickly. (As if the universe wasn’t already trying to rattle you.) It’s the universe’s version of “Quick, what’s the first thing that comes to your mind?” It’s trying to get a spontaneous answer from you to some sort of a question, so it can get your true feelings. The question could be anything of personal significance to you. Often the answer will surprise you, or sometimes just the question will. All in all, an interesting month.

Sources:
Horoscopes
Images
Stardust Muse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:05 am

Ask the Elf!

Dear Ask The Elf,

I'm curious about your magyk. Why does it work better then our wizard magic? Why don't restrictions work on you, as they do on us wizards? I mean isn't that a bit unfair, I'm not allowed to do magic outside of school until I'm 17!!! That isn't fair, I reckon. Anyway, your thoughts on this matter?

From,

Gerr Ump

Dear Sir,

The magyk we have is only used to serve the higher purpose of our commanding masters, sometimes even if it is not ordered, such as protecting our masters and mistress'. We have no restrictions as we have been enslaved and tied to our masters for so long that no-one ever bothered putting restrictions on us. But as you may no, restrictions only apply to wand barers, but we have a restriction, and that is to never be seen by muggles, as if they could see us, muggles tend not to see magykal things and creatures, as well as witches and wizards do. But even then some muggles have the ability to see us, so we are not allowed to venture to far or to close into the muggles world. Also to the unfairness i have to say, i reckong you would be enititled to no restrictions if you had suffered enslavment of your species for centuries.

Thank you Gerr Ump for your letter, i hope life gets 'fair' for you.

Your Servant

As the Elf

~~~~

The Queen Lana (Lana)

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:06 am

Book Review: Of Mice and Men

The novel Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck is set in rural California in the 1930’s. The story begins with the two main characters, George and Lennie, walking through a valley. They are farm hands, moving from farm to farm to make a little money during the great depression. George is diminutive, intellectual, and quick. Lennie is mentally retarded, corpulent, strong, and slow. George is described as anxious and bitter. Lennie is child-like, animal-like, and uncomplicated. Lennie heavily relies on George to make decisions for him and to keep him out of trouble.
The story deals with the convoluted decisions friends sometimes have to make for each other and moral quandaries that most people have never dreamed of having to act upon. It also deals with the concept of believing in dreams so thoroughly that they consume your life.
The only criticism I have is that the colloquialism was quite distressing, and sometimes hard to follow. Even those of us familiar with Hagrid’s slang will find the speech in Of Mice and Men to be much harder to read. However, I was fond of the many points of foreshadowing, and the juxtaposition of all the characters as they cogitate on their loneliness and dreams. I suggest that those who would like to read a classic but don’t want to get into the arduous ones like Animal Farm or Slaughterhouse Five read Of Mice and Men. It is a great book, if you can see past the abrasive language.

This novel portrays the loyalty we have to our friends and makes readers want to go give their best friend a big hug. The friendship in Of Mice and Men also makes you question how far you would go to protect your own. This book is great for those who like tales of friendship, dreams, and a bit of tragedy. I give the novel, 4 out of 5, wands up.

Juice Box Nightmare (Stephenie)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:07 am

Just for Fun

Trivia:
(from Goblet of Fire)

1. What was Harry “dreaming” about the first time he woke up with his scar hurting (in GoF)?
2. What made the Dursleys change their mind about keeping Harry’s school stuff locked away under the stairs?
3. What made it difficult for the Weasleys to arrive at the Dursleys using Floo powder?
4. What’s the problem with Leprechaun gold?
5. Who was found holding Harry’s wand after the Dark Mark appeared at the Quidditch World Cup?
6. Why did Mad-eye Moody turn Malfoy into a ferret?
7. Who helped Harry figure out the puzzle of the golden egg? (two names)
8. Who gave Harry some Gillyweed for the second task?
9. At the Quidditch World Cup, who was Ireland’s seeker? (last name)
10. What do the Beauxbatons horses drink?
11. Which Gryffindor student is very good at drawing? (S/he draws a banner of Harry flying around the dragon’s head.)
12. What sort of owl does Draco Malfoy have?
13. Which dragon did Fleur Delacour have to get past? What about Cedric Diggory?
14. In her article about the International federation of Wizards Conference, what did Rita Skeeter describe Dumbledore as?
15. Why did Viktor Krum lose some points on the first task?
16. Who does Fleur go to the Yule Ball with?
17. Who temporarily takes over for Hagrid as Care of Magical Creatures teacher?
18. What is the password to Dumbledore’s office?
19. What was the answer to the Sphinx’s riddle?
20. What is the spell/charm to return a stunned person to normal?
21. How was Rita Skeeter obtaining information at Hogwarts?
22. When Harry’s and Voldemort’s wands “connected” and Voldemort’s wand produced “reverse echoes” of the people it had most recently murdered, why did this happen and what is this effect called?

Answers to last month's trivia:
1. Ripper
2. A broomstick servicing kit
3. A Charm to Cure Reluctant Reversers
4. 700 Galleons
5. Magnolia Crescent
6. Stan Shunpike
7. Neville Longbottom
8. Eleven
9. One Unicorn tail-hair
10. Magical Menagerie
11. Harry
12. Bighead Boy
13. It is destroyed by the Whomping Willow
14. A sneakoscope
15. Neville wrote a list of the passwords
16. A severed hand.
17. Parvati Patil
18. He thinks it will take the form of Lord Voldemort.
19. Chocolate
20. Hermione
21. A grim.
22. Buckbeak
23. A Stag
24. Peter Pettigrew

A Look at the Goblet of Fire Movie:
Take a look at the list of mistakes viewers have collected since the movie came out!
Mistakes

Goblet of Fire Funnies:
Some funny excerpts from the Goblet of Fire book!
See Them Here!

Games:
Try your luck at the Three Tasks of the Triwizard Tournament!
Task 1: Grab The Golden Egg

Task 2: Underwater Wizardry

Task 3: The Enchanted Maze

Lyra Elizabeth & Stardust Disaster (Amber)

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:08 am

Around Hogwarts

Classes will end on June 5th and the Hogwarts Express (Home) will start boarding on June 13- June 20. We still have the End of Term Feast to look forward to, as well as the End of Term Event. What do the Headmaster and the Heads of House have up there sleeves for the End of Term Event? Well, we’ll just have to wait and see.

Also, another announcement, Hogwarts Ids has re-opened from its short leave of absence. Feel free to post your orders, but don’t forget to pay by trade first to Stardust Muse.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:08 am

Reserved for the Member of the Month

Sorry the Mod Squad did not choose a Member of the Month this time.

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:09 am

Note from the Editor

Classes are soon to come to an end and we will once again soon be boarding the Hogwarts Express on our way back to our homes. This Term has been exciting to say the least. I hope to see you all right back here, next term. With any luck, this coming Summer Term, will be greater then even this Term. We’ll be waiting for you, as always, here at Hogwarts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:11 am

Hogwarts Monthly Staff

Lyra Elizabeth (Co-Editor)
IceeWitch
The Queen Lana
Stardust Disaster
Juice Box Nightmare

Want to work on the next issue or comment on the paper?
Get in here!

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24 25 26 27 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out