Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Extended Discussion
Is it possible to 'become' Goth? Or is just natural? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AbsintheGorgon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:23 pm
Yes at one point you could be born a goth say if you happened to be born in northern Italy in 4 c. BC. I’m sorry but as much as you want to think that goth is a hard and tangible thing it is not. It’s not even considered a full on culture. Being a subculture if some one wanted to, they could weasel their way in no matter their physical or psychological characteristics. Also the genetic disposition to have an affinity for darker things doesn't make sense, how would this make an individual more fit in society?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:21 pm
AbsintheGorgon
Yes at one point you could be born a goth say if you happened to be born in northern Italy in 4 c. BC. I’m sorry but as much as you want to think that goth is a hard and tangible thing it is not. It’s not even considered a full on culture. Being a subculture if some one wanted to, they could weasel their way in no matter their physical or psychological characteristics. Also the genetic disposition to have an affinity for darker things doesn't make sense, how would this make an individual more fit in society?

Not "tangible"? confused No culture is really tangibile. Why are you pointing this out?

"...not a full on culture..." Hence the name "Goth subculture." Again, why point this out?

Of course people can come into the subculture. They can "weasel into" a dominant culture too, no matter what they look like or what their "psychological charateristics" are. Culture is created apart from genetics, I don't really see why genetics would matter in that statement. Everyone has the potential to assimilate and to let others assimilate, no matter what they look like.

You know what, the genetic disposition for heart attacks doesn't help either, after all, how would that make someone more "fit"? Obviously those people have something else going for them and the heart attack disposition isn't holding them back before they get a chance to reproduce. Some things just matter a heck of a lot more than others. Your personality is influenced by a combination of hereditary factors and enviornmental factors. No one's saying there's a "goth gene", but some genetic factor might interact with an environmental factor and another to produce a certain result. They might have something in them that predisposes them to a chemical imbalance that causes depression or just a generally sadder state, and this might make that person have an "affinity for darker things". (I'm not saying all goths have depressive issues, I'm just giving an example of how genetics has a role in personality.) I think you're trying to make evolution, personality development, and genetics seem simpler than they are (or at least you make them sound like that).  

Henneth Annun
Captain

sublime_necromancer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:33 am
NewAgeAntique
but babies are not born wearing eyeliner and listening to the Bauhaus.

But I'm sure that there are parents twisted enough in the subculture WAY TOO SERIOUSLY to actually force their babies to wear eyeliner, black lipstick, and...WHO KNOWS maybe even BABY FISHNETS. Part of me would just LOVE to meet the parents and see how much money their kids are making for psychologists! User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:11 pm
sublime_necromancer
NewAgeAntique

But I'm sure that there are parents twisted enough in the subculture WAY TOO SERIOUSLY to actually force their babies to wear eyeliner, black lipstick, and...WHO KNOWS maybe even BABY FISHNETS. Part of me would just LOVE to meet the parents and see how much money their kids are making for psychologists!

That's what all the baby jumpers in Newberry comics and Hottopic are for I guess. It defeats the purpose of chosing one's own style. Poor kids...
I'm very proud of my poufy flower print baby dresses, they were cute.
It kinda makes me sad when they sell baby clothes in teen stores. Why only rock assiciated teen stores anyway? Why aren't their american eagel baby jumpers? stare  

NewAgeAntique

NewAgeAntique

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:13 pm
On the topic, actually, my five year old little sister is going Goth! hahahaha
She likes to do everything I do so she picked out black boots and wears skirts and jackets like me now, she is so cute!
rofl
This was totally unprovoked by me!  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:55 am
NewAgeAntique
On the topic, actually, my five year old little sister is going Goth! hahahaha
She likes to do everything I do so she picked out black boots and wears skirts and jackets like me now, she is so cute!
rofl

Mmm Hmm...tell Dr. Phil that! LOL! Lets just hope that they aren't skank skirts (oh, you all know the ones I'm speaking of!)...that would just be ALL COLOURS OF WRONG AND FAIL...
NewAgeAntique
This was totally unprovoked by me!

Suuure! *pokes you in the ribs with a bone crushing force* User Image  

sublime_necromancer

Camorelle

Shameless Stalker

13,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:45 am
there are only few people born as a goth, i mean the natural personality they have. people can become goth if they have experienced something in their life that turns themselves up into goths.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:23 am
An interesting question.
I believe it's really how you're raised, what you learn, what you become interested in.
I myself was taught since I was a baby, by my mother, to be an individual.
She taught me to be able to laugh at myself, shrug things off, don't be offended by the hurtful things people say. She taught me above all to be who I wanted (She has always given me the choice of everything big in my life).
Later, my Dad dated a lady who had a goth-punk son. I knew him for a couple years before they broke up (which was good, as the lady is one of the limited number --probably about 4-- of people I actually hate in this world),
I sort of soaked all that up. I wanted to be unique, like him. My mom didn't really care. The only thing both my parents really had a problem with was makeup. My mom liked it, but she was afraid I'd get beat up for it, my dad hated it, and I had fights with him repeatedly abou this (among other things). However, after a while my mom let me, and when the kids at school expected it from me, and I came home fine, she didn't care anymore (My elementary school had alot of nice people, we all pretty much got along). My dad took a while, but he got over it.

I don't think it's like homosexuality, where you are born with it. I think it's just a personal choice, somethign that appeals to us. Are we born having a taste in being different? Maybe. are we born in 17th century dresses or tripp pants listening to Siouxsie and the banshees? No. You are influenced by alot of things in your life.  

SADERR

Angel of the End

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:08 am
NewAgeAntique
sublime_necromancer
NewAgeAntique

But I'm sure that there are parents twisted enough in the subculture WAY TOO SERIOUSLY to actually force their babies to wear eyeliner, black lipstick, and...WHO KNOWS maybe even BABY FISHNETS. Part of me would just LOVE to meet the parents and see how much money their kids are making for psychologists!

That's what all the baby jumpers in Newberry comics and Hottopic are for I guess. It defeats the purpose of chosing one's own style. Poor kids...
I'm very proud of my poufy flower print baby dresses, they were cute.
It kinda makes me sad when they sell baby clothes in teen stores. Why only rock assiciated teen stores anyway? Why aren't their american eagel baby jumpers? stare

I agree. When I was a baby, I use to always be dressed in frilly pink, white and colorful dresses, I grew up listening to Bon Jovi (which I still love to this day). Really, if I looked back and saw my mother or father dressing me up like them, I probably would turn the opposite. I was dressed up really cute, my mother and father took great great care of me (and have kept all my stuffed animals, cribs, and dresses from when I was little.... all designer brands). Honestly, about twenty years from now when I have kids, I want to raise them the same way. It seems very cruel and stupid to dress them and raise them in those stupid jumpers that they sell in hot topic and spencers. Maybe a few black frilly dresses here and there, and maybe a crib with black lace on it.... but that in itself is far enough. (also, from what I've seen in my far removed cousins in my own blood... usually, parents who dress their kids up in those hot topic/spencer jumpers never grow up, and certainally ARE NOT fit to raise children!)  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:24 pm
dreamofmoon
people can become goth if they have experienced something in their life that turns themselves up into goths.

"I was walking down the street and passed by a record store titled 'Toxic Ranch.' Unlike their usual selection of Subhumans or Dead Kennedys, I overheard them playing Sisters of Mercy. My life was never the same again."  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Angel of the End

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:15 pm
-Resurrected Writer-
dreamofmoon
people can become goth if they have experienced something in their life that turns themselves up into goths.

"I was walking down the street and passed by a record store titled 'Toxic Ranch.' Unlike their usual selection of Subhumans or Dead Kennedys, I overheard them playing Sisters of Mercy. My life was never the same again."

XD lol.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:36 am
-Resurrected Writer-
dreamofmoon

Honestly I'd have passed that for the place playing dead kennedies.

#CALIFORNIA! UBER ALLES! CALIFRONIA UBER ALLES! UBER ALLES! CALIFORNIA!#

You all know how it goes and if not, you fail at life and I'd recommend a hasty retreat from this plain of existence.  

Rellik San
Crew

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:41 pm
Rellik San
-Resurrected Writer-
dreamofmoon

Honestly I'd have passed that for the place playing dead kennedies.

#CALIFORNIA! UBER ALLES! CALIFRONIA UBER ALLES! UBER ALLES! CALIFORNIA!#

You all know how it goes and if not, you fail at life and I'd recommend a hasty retreat from this plain of existence.

Listening to "Pull My Strings" too much made me no longer expect the opening to "California Uber Alles" to actually be that song.

"Hold it! We've got to prove we're adults now! We're not a punk rock band anymore, we're a new wave band!"  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:57 pm
While there may be an inborn trait that causes one to lean toward darker things, I think going full out goth is a personal choice based on one's personality, outlook, and interests.

And I don't think a trauma makes one Goth. Personally I've always felt a drawing towards darker things, but I've never had a depressing life (Well, outside of school) and I'm an overall happy individual. I think at least part of the reason I felt drawn to Gothic things was because I used to look up to rockers and punks when I was a kid, and I was always exposed to different lifestyles and cultures. It might have also been triggered when I started to explore art and literature and tried to express myself through these mediums, so maybe Goth comes with artistic and creative traits. Or it could have just been inborn. Who knows, really.

You can't really "learn" to be goth, since becoming goth means you like Gothic things. Excluding some things that may be an acquired taste, liking Gothic music, fashion, literature, ext. is either inborn, or develops over time. You can't just decide you like something you didn't before on shear will power. Though you can learn to be more accepting and tolerant.

Although I have to admit that the idea of a Goth Gene is interesting.  

lola_siannodel

Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces