Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Music - Related Topics
An Introduction to Goth music and subculture Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ether-Eating Eskimo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:16 am
.+Melanthios+.
deep_emo_thoughts
i thught thst marilyn manson was goth well he is kinda right

I'd more or less classify him as indutrial, hun. I really wish people would stop calling him goth.......

Crappy Industrial/Metal/Coldwave/Shock Rock, really. :S  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:49 pm
_PsychoPathic-Tend3ncies_
.+Melanthios+.
deep_emo_thoughts
i thught thst marilyn manson was goth well he is kinda right

I'd more or less classify him as indutrial, hun. I really wish people would stop calling him goth.......

Crappy Industrial/Metal/Coldwave/Shock Rock, really. :S

Fix'd.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

osirisgoauldgoddess

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:34 pm
A friend told me something and I`ve not known that before, so I simply post it here to hear your thoughts about it. So far I always considered: Das Ich, Relatives Menschsein, Misanthrope ( not the french band, the german band) to be wave. Sort of darkwave at times mixed with industrial. Das Ich and Relatives Menschsein exist already since a long time. My friend told me that these bands are now known under a new gothic subculture label called: Neue Deutsche Todeskunst. Because basically their songs are poems, are all only sung in german and deal with filosofical themes about life, death, the soul, the world, good and evil, desolation, etc.
Is that true? Never heard of that label before. I do like some of these songs, but only the ones that are not mixed with industrial.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:44 pm
Hmmm it was a very well written description that suprised me to be honest.

My favourite band is Apocalyptica and even though I know it isn't defined as being a goth band I still believe that most of their fanbase are goths (something your thread also challenged haha) In the dvd of their concert the lights on the ceilings were candles, They sat playing their cellos in front of coffin shaped things lol and their music goes from metal (not gothic i know lol) to slower love songs most of which dont contain lyrics.

So what is it lol? I think its a mix of metal and goth. Something I see myself as too lol but can you see what I mean?
They cover Metallica but also David Bowie (goth influence mentioned earlier no?) and Edvard Grieg
And Lacrimas Profundere are touring with them lol. It's like for every argument for them being goth is an equal argument for them being metal.

What do ye think?  

Nockz the Dark Cellist

The Evil Rabbit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:48 pm
Isobel Bellamy
Murderdolls - Industrials, cyber goths the lot of 'em

More like punk, 80s metal, and cheesy horror movies tossed in blender with some southern redneck attitude thrown in for good measure.

Also, one of their two guitarists was Joey Jordison, Slipknot's main drummer (the one with the big drum kit and kabuki-ish mask). He also did all their drum work in-studio. As far as I know they're not together anymore. Their vocalist, Wednesday 13 (formerly of the Frankenstein Drag Queens from Planet 13) is now doing his own solo thing with a new band.

Still, I wouldn't call them industrial.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:29 pm
The Evil Rabbit
Isobel Bellamy

More like punk, 80s metal, and cheesy horror movies tossed in blender with some southern redneck attitude thrown in for good measure.

Also, one of their two guitarists was Joey Jordison, Slipknot's main drummer (the one with the big drum kit and kabuki-ish mask). He also did all their drum work in-studio. As far as I know they're not together anymore. Their vocalist, Wednesday 13 (formerly of the Frankenstein Drag Queens from Planet 13) is now doing his own solo thing with a new band.

Wouldn't call them punk either.  

Sinister Kung Fu

Sharing Heartbeats

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:55 pm
Sinister Kung Fu
The Evil Rabbit
Isobel Bellamy

I call them trash.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:50 pm
A Kiss To Say Hello
Sinister Kung Fu
The Evil Rabbit
Isobel Bellamy

I call them trash.

They do indeed sound trashy and sleazy. Not everyone likes them, especially in the US. Their fan base (both Murderdolls and Wednesday 13) isn't that huge in the US. They're more popular in the UK and Australia than they are here. I also know they aren't really punk. Several of their influences are, though. Also, Wednesday's old band sounded more punk than the Murderdolls. Murderdolls seem to have more of a metal/hard rock influence, musically speaking. Probably because they had members of Slipknot, Static-X, and Dope. They're not really meant to be taken seriously (honestly, who can?). They're trashy, obnoxious, and more of a "have fun" band, rather than anything deep, intellectual, emotional, and so forth. They also seemed to be more of a side project than anything else. I think they only lasted for one album.

The Evil Rabbit

Sinister Kung Fu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:37 am
Wednesday 13 lives like an hour from me. confused
Assuming he hasn't moved in the last couple years anyway.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:40 am
The Evil Rabbit
A Kiss To Say Hello
Sinister Kung Fu
The Evil Rabbit
Isobel Bellamy

I call them trash.

They do indeed sound trashy and sleazy. Not everyone likes them, especially in the US. Their fan base (both Murderdolls and Wednesday 13) isn't that huge in the US. They're more popular in the UK and Australia than they are here. I also know they aren't really punk. Several of their influences are, though. Also, Wednesday's old band sounded more punk than the Murderdolls. Murderdolls seem to have more of a metal/hard rock influence, musically speaking. Probably because they had members of Slipknot, Static-X, and Dope. They're not really meant to be taken seriously (honestly, who can?). They're trashy, obnoxious, and more of a "have fun" band, rather than anything deep, intellectual, emotional, and so forth. They also seemed to be more of a side project than anything else. I think they only lasted for one album.

To me, they sound like Marilyn Manson playing hair metal covers.  

Sinister Kung Fu

The Evil Rabbit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:18 am
Sinister Kung Fu
To me, they sound like Marilyn Manson playing hair metal covers.

rofl rofl rofl

Damn it! Now I'm going to have that image stuck in my head all day!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:32 pm
I know this thread is ancient, but since its stickied I guess its ok to update it.

Rekka Argonis
There is one 1 form of music that is truly goth, it is called Industrial Goth, and nobody can argue or change this, for it is fact, and not opinion, Unfortunately, hardly anybody in america even knows this music exists, so in short, most Goths in america are posers, Industrial Goth comes from germany, it is the real goth music, without question. People who listen to manson, slipknot, and that type of s**t, are part of a genre called "Glamrock." this is nowhere near true gothic music, and never will be, the fact that this is even percieved as such, is truly an atrocity.

Firstly, crossover of the actual genres is very, very rare. Goth and industrial are two seperate styles of music and you rarely find crossover between those genres. With that out the way...

The Goth spectrum of music in your generic club is: Goth rock, death rock, darkwave, industrial, EBM and futurepop. Want examples? The Coven, The Rack, Dr Fells, Slimelight and a million other places I've been. The two scenes are joined at the hip, totally inseperable at this point in history.

You will not find Goth events that do not play industrial. You will find Goth events that won't play metal, or even won't play pre-Goth punk (or hardcore punk). However, to find a Goth club that didn't cater to the EBM and industrial crowd is near impossible, because the scene is integrated.

(I know this guy was probably just a troll, but it seemed like a good oppotunity to get some facts straight).  

xStephanx

Gothic Muffin of Doom

Dangerous Vampire

10,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:43 pm
HIM - Nononono, too metally

That made me laugh, Sorry. But him are to dead for a metal band, although i wouldn't class them as Goth.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:24 pm
I was just wondering, do Dead Can Dance and Black Tape for a Blue Girl count as darkwave ? question  

Oreo the Sphinx

Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces