Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Great British Comedy Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 27 28 29 30 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:17 pm
Yush. A lot of people didn't like it. A very offbeat brand of comedy.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:32 pm
My favorites:

Father Ted, Little Britain, Monty Python's Flying Circus, and I really like Joe Pasquale as a comedian. I have seen others but I can't be bothered to mention them all... :3

[-Creep of Wrath-]

wodewose

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:28 pm
Did anyone catch William Vague`s tribute to "Yes Minister" on Radio 4?
Or, for that matter Vic Reeve`s rogue`s gallery on Discovery?.
I see Robbie Williams will be joining the "ladies" on "Little Britain" for Comic Relief this year.
Actually.....My wife and I recently visited the Market town of Olney (where the writer of the hymn `Amazing Grace` was a pastor).There we saw a transvestite...an obvious transvetite...as he passed my wife, and I in fits of giggles sputtered out:
"I`m a layyy-ddeaaaa!"  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:58 am
And I'm sure he wanted to kill you.

A housemate of mine is a transexual (they are very definate about the difference between transvestite and transexual) and he absolutely loathes those sketches, not because he finds them offensive, but because everyone mimics them, and it drives him/her crazy.  

Days of Empire

Mega Genius

7,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:52 am
Erix Griffon

A housemate of mine is a transexual (they are very definate about the difference between transvestite and transexual) and he absolutely loathes those sketches, not because he finds them offensive, but because everyone mimics them, and it drives him/her crazy.

I'm beginning to hate Little Britain. I always thought it was rather poor comedy, being exactly the same few jokes being repeated and repeated to death and beyond, but I never really had anything against it. It's just the fact that everyone quotes it. Everyone. I hardly go through a day without hearing "yeah but no" or "computer says no" or "bitty" or "I'm a laydee!" or similar.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:29 am
whapcapn
I'm beginning to hate Little Britain. I always thought it was rather poor comedy, being exactly the same few jokes being repeated and repeated to death and beyond, but I never really had anything against it. It's just the fact that everyone quotes it. Everyone. I hardly go through a day without hearing "yeah but no" or "computer says no" or "bitty" or "I'm a laydee!" or similar.

That isn't a reason to hate the programme itself; it's a reason to dislike the people who quote it. Once or twice might be amusing, but it gets so tired so quickly.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Lord Jagged

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:33 am
Think how I feel.
For some reason, my maths teacher seems to like quoting it. She does it about 15 times every lesson. One lesson she was quoting it through a megaphone. eek  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:12 am
Erix Griffon

It comes with the teritory.
I`m Welsh, I have to endure constant jibes about how I ******** sheep.I don`t but I let it go.I also get jokes about my religious beliefs too, but I let them go....  

wodewose

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:57 pm
Foetus In Fetu
whapcapn

That isn't a reason to hate the programme itself; it's a reason to dislike the people who quote it. Once or twice might be amusing, but it gets so tired so quickly.
Admittedly, I have no cause to have anything against Little Britain itself, but, to take another example, if you were forced to listen to a piece of music you didn't like over and over again, would you end up hating it? I know I would.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:19 pm
whapcapn
Admittedly, I have no cause to have anything against Little Britain itself, but, to take another example, if you were forced to listen to a piece of music you didn't like over and over again, would you end up hating it? I know I would.

I would completely change my personality so that I wouldn't be 'me' anymore and then I wouldn't care because I wouldn't exist. The new person can worry about whether or not they like the music, it doesn't affect me.

Fair enough, I would probably grow to hate it.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:02 pm
Foetus In Fetu
whapcapn

I would completely change my personality so that I wouldn't be 'me' anymore and then I wouldn't care because I wouldn't exist. The new person can worry about whether or not they like the music, it doesn't affect me.

Fair enough, I would probably grow to hate it.

*Tries in vain to come up with a witty response*  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:16 pm
Okay there are too many to name but i shall try (and by try i mean i'll like write down three and keep adding on and on until i can't think of any more...because that's what happens when you think in school)

Monty Python Flying Circus (and movies)
Fawlty Towers (yup, enough said)
Eddie Izzard (especially Dressed to Kill)
Joe Pasquale (yup he also sort of speak for himself)  

50ny4

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:26 am
wodewose
Erix Griffon

I`m Welsh, I have to endure constant jibes about how I ******** sheep.I don`t but I let it go.I also get jokes about my religious beliefs too, but I let them go....

I think I ought to make another thread about this very subject at some point. I have myself been on the receiving end of snide remarks and comments about my faith path, the music I like and the way in which I choose to dress. Surely it would be better for all of us if none of us ever had to endure such bizarre criticisms from people we don't even know?

The Little Britain show is to me less of a comedy sketch show, but more of a pretty damning indictment on the British Public as a whole. Erix - If you'd be so kind, I might like to run it by you before posting it, once I have it written up...

Mind you, I always loathed the League of Gentlemen too. Something about either show just leaves me cold.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:05 am
wodewose

It shouldn't come with the territory. It's not like he dresses up for fun. That would be a transvestite. He is a transexual. There is an important difference - he earnestly believes that he was meant to be female, and he doesn't feel he really has a choice about how he dresses. He feels he's cross dressing when he's dressed as a man. He recently won a big debate with the NUS council, saying that now transexuals are allowed to use the female toilets in SU venues, simply because the male toilets are intensely threatening places in that situation.

Sheepshagger jokes are just that. Jokes. But for him, things can turn nasty.  

Days of Empire

Mega Genius

7,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Days of Empire

Mega Genius

7,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:06 am
illyrianth
Erix - If you'd be so kind, I might like to run it by you before posting it, once I have it written up...

I'm a little puzzled as to why, but ok!  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 27 28 29 30 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces