Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply The Friends of English Magic Guild
What are YOU currently reading? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:18 pm
x--stevee--x
right now i'm reading public enemies. its not a fantasy book but its a history book about criminals and the birth of the FBI in 1933-1934. its more of a biography type book but i thinks its really good!

User ImageI'm reading Jane Eyre!

1. What is the book about?
Well it's about Jane Eyre, a not-pretty girl who, after a depressing childhood, works as a governess for a Mr. Rochester, who is also not handsome. It's a love story, but Mr. Rochester has a strange secret...
2. Do you like the book so far? Why or why not?
YES! The writer, Chalotte Bronte, is so sweet! The writing is great! The paper is soft and has my favorite book smell ^_^
3. Have you previously read anything by the author?
Nopers.
4. Is it a series?
Noope.
5. Would you place this book among your top read? Why or why not?
Erm... well, it is a classic... and it is fun to read... maybe.
6. Is the style of writing bizzare or new to you?
Yeah, these old books are strange. Like, she was too lazy to make up names for places, so she's say, "he came from --shire, by the river A--" and she'd casually pass off words like "persnickety" but explain to the reader what "precious" means (not really, I forgot the actual words in question).
User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:40 pm
Sita Harker

DarknessApproaches39
Hahaha, I dunno if this novel has been done before.... buuut.

I just finished a really quick, easy read that's quite an interesting take on fairy tales and the traditional views of princesses: Patricia C. Wrede's Dealing With Dragons

That's my favorite series yo! I was so sad when I finished the last book... I still re-read them from time to time heart heart heart

Really? I need to look up the rest of the series XD I only have the first book... but it is great! Hahaha  

DarknessApproaches39

Tautological Tautology

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:32 pm
The Stuff of Thought by Steven Pinker (nonfiction)

1. What is the book about? It's about trying to explain human nature by analyzing language
2. Do you like the book so far? Why or why not?I love it. There are so many interesting things I'm learning about both language and thought. For example, hunter-gatherer cultures lack words for numbers above 3 or 4
3. Have you previously read anything by the author?No
4. Is it a series?Sortof
5. Would you place this book among your top read? Why or why not?Top nonfiction: yes. Overall favorite reads: no
6. Is the style of writing bizzare or new to you?No  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:58 pm
i just finished The Misbegotten King by Anne Kellher Bush.

Meriga is America after the Armageddon. there are mutants, undead, magic, ruins, and a lot of rebellion, treachery and courtly politics.
So-so. i like everything having to do with world-building, at which tolkein was such a master. however, all the political intrigue is a lot like dozens of books i have already consumed.
no. although it is the third part of a trilogy.
4. Is it a series?
see above.
no, it is too much like a lot of other fantasy stuff, the king's stepbrother is disloyal, the barons are threatening revolt, the queen may die in childbirth, the heroine fears using the magic that could save them, etc etc
no, it is all too familiar. once you get used to the creative new geography and history she describes, you could write it all yourself.  

beaulolais
Vice Captain

-PinkTasmik-

Magnetic Explorer

7,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:25 pm
I'm currently reading The Te of Piglet by Benjamin Hoff.

1. What is the book about? It basically explains Taoism, using short stories of characters from Winnie the Pooh.
2. Do you like the book so far? Why or why not? Yes, very much. 3nodding
3. Have you previously read anything by the author? Nope.
4. Is it a series? No, but it was preceded by The Tao of Pooh.
5. Would you place this book among your top read? Why or why not? Yes. And I recommend it if you're interested in Taoism.
6. Is the style of writing bizzare or new to you? Not really.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:46 pm
Tautological Tautology

1. What is the book about? It's about trying to explain human nature by analyzing language
2. Do you like the book so far? Why or why not?I love it. There are so many interesting things I'm learning about both language and thought. For example, hunter-gatherer cultures lack words for numbers above 3 or 4
4. Is it a series?Sortof
5. Would you place this book among your top read? Why or why not?Top nonfiction: yes. Overall favorite reads: no

I love language! I have to find this!

-PinkTasmik-

1. What is the book about? It basically explains Taoism, using short stories of characters from Winnie the Pooh.
5. Would you place this book among your top read? Why or why not? Yes. And I recommend it if you're interested in Taoism.

That's so cute! Does it go more into depth than Pooh or just has additional info?  

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

-PinkTasmik-

Magnetic Explorer

7,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:52 pm
Sita Harker
Tautological Tautology

4. Is it a series?Sortof

I love language! I have to find this!

-PinkTasmik-

That's so cute! Does it go more into depth than Pooh or just has additional info?

Yes, actually. Every now and then it has short stories that are actually Taoism-related, and talks about the general principles of the philosophy. But other than that, it just uses examples through Pooh characters. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:23 pm
So I'm reading City Of Glass by Cassandra Clare. It is the third book in The Mortal Instruments Trilogy

Jace, Alec, Isabelle, and Simon go to Alicante (aka the City of Glass) via Portal from the Institute in NYC. Clary and Luke follow when Clary creates her own Portal but they end up in Lake Lyn and Clary becomes extremely ill. Luke takes her to his sister Amatis in Alicante to heal her. Meanwhile, Jace and the other Shadowhunters and Simon (he's a vampire) go to the Penhallow's house to figure out what Valentine's next move will be since he is in possesion of two mortal instruments. Simon is thrown in jail instead of being sent home. And we find out from Magnus Bane (a warlock) that Ragnor Fell (warlock who could save Clary's mother) has been murdered by Valentine's men. Jace and Clary go to the Wayland Manor to retrieve something for Magnus when they discover a secret pathway where Valentine conducted experiments, and that's all the farther I am right now.
YES! The book is absolutely amazing. The first two are really good too.
No. I don't even know if she has ever written anything else other than Mortal Instruments.
4. Is it a series?
Yes, it's a trilogy. The first two books are City of Bones and City of Ashes, and this one is City of Glass.
Yes. I love fantasy, and some sci-fi, so that's pretty much all I read. So this series fits right in with what I normally read. I also really like the way that she wrote it. And the series is never short of plot twists. Just when you think you know what will happen, something on the complete other side of the spectrum takes place. If you've read the series, you know what I'm talking about.
No. It's a mix of fantasy and sci-fi, and that's pretty much all I read.  

Jedi Knight26

7,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200

Aeliara

6,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:20 pm
On my desk currently: "Dune," "The Tempest"

"Tempest" is Shakespearean - pretty much some nobles on a boat in a storm (tempest) wind up on the magician and usurped duke Prospero's island. Fun times ensue.
Oooh yes most definitely. And read it over and over and over...
I was familiar with it before (did it in my arts high school), but reading it through a metanarrative sort of "role of the author/artist" lens is fascinating!  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:44 am
The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation

1. What is the book about? (setting, plot, characters) Please tell in a way that wont spoil Historical fiction, American War of Independence era, main character born into slavery in a very unusual circumstance
2. Do you like the book so far? Why or why not? yes
3. Have you previously read anything by the author?no
4. Is it a series? two parts at least. I'm just about to start volume two
5. Would you place this book among your top read? Why or why not? no because I doubt it will survive rereading. Suspense is a large part of the story so far.
6. Is the style of writing bizzare or new to you? no.  

Lady Pole
Crew

beaulolais
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:35 pm
i just finished The Phantom, second in the Sword of Truth series by T. Goodkind

and was disappointed

because it suffers from the ailment of most second installments in a trilogy, in that it has no clear beginning nor ending.

still he is a fine spinner of fantasy yarns.

a humble wilderness guide discovers he is heir to a prophecy and must defeat his evil (warped, enchanted) older brother and save the kingdom; all this happens in book one, so this is where he loses his powers and searches for his bride who has lost her mind thanks to the evil nuns of darkness.
2. Do you like the book so far?
no.
it does nothing to advance the plot nor deepen the characterization from the first book.
yes and the first books were always excellent storytelling, vivid and engagingl
4. Is it a series? two parts at least.
yes and i hope part 3 is better and this does not just tuen into some kind of "Wheel of Time" thing with no ending.

5. Would you place this book among your top read? Why or why not? no because I doubt it will survive rereading. Suspense is a large part of the story so far.
6. Is the style of writing bizzare or new to you? no.
i already gave it away to a friend, with apologies.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:55 pm
I'm currently reading Ninth Grade Slays by Heather Brewer.

1. What is the book about? (setting, plot, characters) Please tell in a way that wont spoil anyway I'm only on chapter 3, but the basic storyline is that Vlad, a teenage half-vampire and the only one of his kind, lives with his human "aunt" (who is really just a good friend of his mom's) and is out to find who killed his parents. He is the only one of his kind because in the vampire's society of Elysia, vampire and human relationships and child bearings are forbidden. Vlad's dad, Tomas, who was a vampire and on good terms with the leaders of Elysia, left the society to be with Vlad's mom, Mellina, who is a human, but later was supposedly killed in a freak house fire along with Mellina. Now, the head of Elysia is out to find Vlad and punish him for his dad's crimes, or just for existing because his entrance into the world was forbidden. With the help of his uncle, Otis, who he originally thinks is his parents' killer, but really is trying to help him, and his best friend Henry, who is his "drudge" (or basically human slave and does whatever Vlad tells him to because Vlad bit him when they were 8 ), Vlad is trying to learn the vampiric language and find his parents, or if they are really dead, find their killer.

2. Do you like the book so far? Why or why not? Yes, I do like it so far because it's not a frou frou girly story. The "About the Author" part even says that Heather Brewer isn't one for happy endings, unless they involve blood. The first book was really short, but action-packed, and I have reason to believe this next one will be too. Plus, I love the brotherly love between Vlad and Henry, even though they're technically not brothers.

3. Have you previously read anything by the author? Well, I read the first book in the series, Eighth Grade Bites, but I think this is the only series she's written.

4. Is it a series? Yes, it's called The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod.

5. Would you place this book among your top read? Why or why not? Yes, because it's not like the sissy Twilight vampires, it actually has action and imagery and it's pretty awesome so far. Let me put it this way, if this were a movie, it wouldn't be a chick flick.

6. Is the style of writing bizzare or new to you? No, not really. She writes just like any other teen writer out there.  

Flarityxx18

Aangs Katara

1,950 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:44 pm
The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, City of Ash, City of Glass
By:Cassandra Clare

1. It's a book about people known as shadowhunters that kills demons and keeps vampires, werewolves, vampires, wizards, and faeries from breaking the law. The stars are Clary and Jace.
2. I love these books. It has just the right amount of twists to keep me from being bored and lost in the book.
3. I've read these books more than once.
4. It's a series.
5. I would absolutely consider this a top read.
6. The style is weird cause the twists are something unique that I've never seen anyone use.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:41 pm
yes, the twists are unique. Just a bit too teenagerly grunge for me.

Dracula  

Lady Whispers

-PinkTasmik-

Magnetic Explorer

7,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:21 pm
People of the Mist (The First North Americans series, book 9) by Katherine O'Neal Gear and Michael Gear

1. What is the book about? It's a murder mystery that takes place around the Chesapeake Bay area in pre-Columbus 1300 A.D.
2. Do you like the book so far? Why or why not? Yes, I do. It's really interesting to read Native American fiction, especially when it takes place years before the Europeans arrived. I've always wondered what things might have been like...you hear about the Renaissance and the Middle Ages and whatnot, but you don't really think about what was going on over here.
4. Is it a series? Yes.
5. Would you place this book among your top read? Why or why not? Mm. Yes. I've never read a historical fiction novel before, and I'm really enjoying it (even though it takes a lot of focus-power to read it). It's really gotten me interested in Native American culture, and I've become even more interested in general history because of this book.
6. Is the style of writing bizzare or new to you? Nope. (:

The Friends of English Magic Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces