Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
Vena -- Open Redline/Critique Thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:13 pm
Is there anything in particular that you think 'went wrong'? I'll get to redlining it either later tonight or tomorrow, so drop me a line if you want me to look at something specific about the image before then smile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:42 pm
i need some help with anatomy and natural position. i cant focus on the books i have so could you help me. here is my pic
User Image  

hisoka-kaminalover12

Whimzica

Aged Bookworm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:19 am
Oh, oh. Help me a bit, if you can?
Her legs and head seem a bit off to me, and I'd just like to check that before I go any farther.
User Image
I'm thinking maybe I should have them lower along the ground.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:26 pm
Anadalya
awkwardness!! biggrin I don't think I should be a mentee because I don't have much time to dedicate myself to it. But I would like some critique on some of my drawings, if you don't mind! sweatdrop This is Headstone from one of my books, a drawing I did for a contest. He was a bit rushed, so was not as good as I had imagined... Can you help me see what went wrong?

User Image

The biggest thing I could spot was that there isn't enough volume under his coat (always draw the body first underneath!!) to make room for his torso. The legs are looking good, maybe the closer one could use a bit more volume. The hand should be a bit larger to show the forshortening, and I acutally dont think there was anything wrong with the arm volumes you used, but to show the perspective you should indicate something about it... wrinkles around the arm to show the form maybe. Just to show the direction of the arm, going straight ahead. The other hand could be a bit larger too, remember the hand is about the size of the face for reference.

hope that helps!  

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Anadalya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:18 pm
The biggest thing I could spot was that there isn't enough volume under his coat (always draw the body first underneath!!) to make room for his torso. The legs are looking good, maybe the closer one could use a bit more volume. The hand should be a bit larger to show the forshortening, and I acutally dont think there was anything wrong with the arm volumes you used, but to show the perspective you should indicate something about it... wrinkles around the arm to show the form maybe. Just to show the direction of the arm, going straight ahead. The other hand could be a bit larger too, remember the hand is about the size of the face for reference.

hope that helps!

Yes it helps very much! Thank you!! XD It is nice to have someone critique my art! ( Someone that knows what they are talking about anyways! LOL ) Next time I need a picture looked over I will ask you guys before I go any farther!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:40 am
Kiss me goodbye, I'm defying gravity.

Hithere (:

I'm working on a sketch that will hopefully soon be a painting of Alanis Morissette.

If you could take a look at it I would appreciate it (: [x]

User Image----- Angelic Minis: 2.5mil/80mil----User Image

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:31 pm
hisoka-kaminalover12
i need some help with anatomy and natural position. i cant focus on the books i have so could you help me. here is my pic

User Image

One of the things you should look into studying and practicing is perspective - especially when you have a character in a scene, you need to figure out how they are going to look inside of it. I drew the grid on the bed for that reason, even though the cloth would sink around his body, it would still go with the flow of the perspective of the bed (if he is just lying straight).

Other than the usual spiel about learning anatomy, form is just as important! Remember that it is a 3D form you are trying to draw, so you have to take into account the roundness of the body. Remember that there are the parts that you can't see as well that are affecting the image. Try doing some still life drawings for practice - a solid object on a cloth or a pillow.

I hope that helps a bit. I'm sorry I'm so late with my response!

A note to the other people that left an image - I'm so sorry I'm really late with posting redlines. I've had some hand and wrist problems as of late and for the last week or so I have been wearing a brace for support... so drawing and typing have been .. slightly hindered wink I'll get to them soon!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Sabiir
Oh, oh. Help me a bit, if you can?
Her legs and head seem a bit off to me, and I'd just like to check that before I go any farther.
User Image
I'm thinking maybe I should have them lower along the ground.

User Image

The legs seem to be flipping up at the back which confused me a bit, I wasn't sure if that was your intention? So I just drew the skeleton as if crawling/crouched. I think the torso is a bit small for that size head.  

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:15 pm
oOllamaOo

Hithere (:

I'm working on a sketch that will hopefully soon be a painting of Alanis Morissette.

User Image

Most of the body looks pretty great, the head seems a bit squashed to me though. The legs could be lengthened too. Don't forget too, that because she is on her toes and only one foot, there will be a lot of weight on it =)  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:18 pm
Thanks for tips & redlines, I'll work on that. :]  

Whimzica

Aged Bookworm

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:07 am
Hi Vena, sorry I haven't said anything since this turned into a redline thread. xD I've been popping in every once in awhile and reading stuff, though. ^_^

I was wondering if you could help me with this image:

User Image

I also did a small redline for myself based on the changes I'd like to make:
User Image

Mainly I'm just trying to make the pose read a bit better. The smaller details like the inking and shadowing are important, but not what I'm focusing on right now. I'd like to get the main form up to snuff. :3

Do you see anything I've missed? Or anything else I should be looking out for?

Thanks in advance! And feel free to take your time. I'm in no hurry.

Edit: I hope your wrist feel better soon too! If it's too much trouble to redline or type, then forget the whole thing. :3 I don't wanna be a bother.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:37 pm
hey hey! Your skeletal looks really solid to me. The hips should tilt a bit with the extension of the front leg but in general too a bit of asymetry can counteract stiffness in a figure. I think the pose reads pretty well, if you really want to drama it up a bit you could test out some other silhouettes (the little blue ones on the right are my examples of that ). the red line indicates the flow of the body, just something you might want to keep in mind. I think in images indicating motion a streamlined silhouette helps enhance that idea. Hope this helps! Nice to see ya in here again =D

User Image  

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:57 am
Thanks so much!

I always forget how important the silhouettes are to both character design and "reading" an image. I'll try to keep that in mind more for later too. ^^ I think you're right about the arm being tucked in, too -- it doesn't read as strongly as the other two. (In fact, it rather looks like she's missing an arm, which was not my intent... T.T)

Thanks for the reminder about the hips and the collar bone too.

I'll keep working at it. ^_^  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:55 am
Vena
oOllamaOo

Hithere (:

User Image

Most of the body looks pretty great, the head seems a bit squashed to me though. The legs could be lengthened too. Don't forget too, that because she is on her toes and only one foot, there will be a lot of weight on it =)

Thanks so much! Especially for her arm that's lifted and holding the sign, that one stumped me. Haha.

Unfortunately there isn't enough room on my page to lengthen her legs or move her head xDD

I'll keep that in mind for my next drawings though (:  

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:33 am
oh, haha, yep, its always good to thumbnail where things are going to be! I have that problem a lot, and it sucks to erase things to get it to fit xp  
Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff