Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply General Discussion (Chatterbox)
The Black Library Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... 107 108 109 110 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:26 am
Reading the first issue of Hammer and Bolter, most excellent! The introduction and their site made me cringe a little though, how many times are they going to throw around "NEW YORK TIMES bestseller" when mentioning Graham McNeill?

edit.

Prospero Burns is looking promising! surprised  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:50 am
Lady Blodwynn
Reading the first issue of Hammer and Bolter, most excellent! The introduction and their site made me cringe a little though, how many times are they going to throw around "NEW YORK TIMES bestseller" when mentioning Graham McNeill?
BL is a small fish compared to the other companies. So any award they earn they flaunt like mad because this them right, this is them going "Hey, this is us right, this is us with the bling and s**t" and that's why. NYT charts are pretty up there, so when Graham hits them, with a novel based on a silly board game no less, it's a big deal.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:33 pm
Following in the footsteps of Graham McNeill is a new writer who joins the prestigious list of authors that can be found on the New York Times best sellers list: author Aaron Dembski-Bowden. The First Heretic is at No.28 in this weeks list.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:01 am
Reading Firedrake now, bit of a slow fizzler, doesn't have any real action until halfway through really, but so far so good. Vulkan He'stan is a beast of a warrior.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:55 am
The second title in a trilogy usually is suffering from being the middle child.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:04 am
Just finished reading the first Omnibus in the Soul Drinkers series. Quite a bit of baddass mother ******** going on there. Ever seen a Librarian rip a mans head off by shoving his staff through the man's face? I have. twisted  

MrPraetor

Sir Kyle Aziz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:14 pm
Commissar Benik
Just finished reading the first Omnibus in the Soul Drinkers series. Quite a bit of baddass mother ******** going on there. Ever seen a Librarian rip a mans head off by shoving his staff through the man's face? I have. twisted

I'm not quite sure how to take this...

I'm fairly certain any Astartes could like flick a mans head off...  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:12 am
They can do far worse, depending on who writes it.  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:02 am
Their size and mass also seems to change from novel to novel. gonk  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:40 pm
I've seen novels that have Space Marines get 2 foot holes blasted in their chests and laugh it off and ive seen novels where they have been killed by Imperial guard (And not even 20,000 of them). But the one thing that is constent is that they are not quite as unkillable as we seem to think they are.  

MrPraetor

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:47 pm
Reading "Fear the Alien" right now, got it just for one story by AB-D but I'm glad that the rest so far isn't half-bad either. So far I've read the big names first, mostly because those are the series I follow. AB-D's ties in with his Night Lords series and has a nice little tie-in with Nick Kyme's story, which in turn takes place between the two Salamander novels. We've got an Abnett story that revisits an old anthology character (waaay back from 2003's "Crucible of War") and most surprisingly we've got Andy Hoare making a revisit to his Rogue Trader novels, serving as a prequel.

I should be getting the Horus Heresy audio drama "Oath of Moment" soon.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:26 am
It is a bit annoying that novels are expanded on through anthology novels, requiring you to buy them all to get the bigger picture or to sit out until an omnibus of the series is released. sad  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Sir Kyle Aziz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:05 am
Hmm.. I wouldn't have thought Fear the Alien would have tie ins to other stuff, I figured it would all be new, from the aliens perspectives.

Is Throne of Lies only going to be an audio book? ):

I don't really like audio books because I get lost easily and forget what was said 2 seconds ago. @_@  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:31 am
You need to listen to them a few times to really get what is going on, I agree. I've had to re-listen to both Raven's Flight and Oath of Moment at least two times to really get everything.

I've only read a few entries into Fear the Alien and for the most part it is told from a human point of view, though mind you, I haven't read them all as of yet. There is one with Dark Eldar as protagonists and another taking a look at the Orkish mindset.

Most anthology novels these days contain at least one or two tie-ins to bigger novels. The Ultramarines series is notorious for this, though it started out with simple shorts that didn't have too much of an impact on the telling of the story. Come to think of it, a lot of those stories serve as prequels to the actual novels. And in some rare cases as mini sequels.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:07 am
No more novels for you, too many nightmares. gonk  
General Discussion (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... 107 108 109 110 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games