Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply General Discussion (Chatterbox)
Chatterbox Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 748 749 750 751 752 753 ... 762 763 764 765 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What army do you have?
Space Marines
19%
 19%  [ 45 ]
Eldar
4%
 4%  [ 10 ]
Dark Eldar
3%
 3%  [ 7 ]
Chaos Space Marines
10%
 10%  [ 25 ]
Tau
9%
 9%  [ 22 ]
Imperial Guard
6%
 6%  [ 15 ]
Necrons
4%
 4%  [ 11 ]
Deamon Hunters
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
Witch Hunters
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
Tyranids
4%
 4%  [ 11 ]
Orks
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
More than one.
30%
 30%  [ 71 ]
Total Votes : 231

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:02 am
DarkElf27
Vikki Stardust
You should check in more often. emotion_yatta
Yup, lots of 'shoulds' running around in my life. xd I'll probably maybe be on a bit more in a month or so.
Then at least promote someone else to keep an eye on things! sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:46 pm
maui boy no ka oi
Many people have stated that officers straight out of college-OCS are not as respected as enlisted men who get into OCS and become officers later on. This coupled with the fact that I would actually like experience as an enlisted serviceman makes me think it's better to get the tuition assistance while serving. I'm in no rush to finish college as I personally don't believe in it, but getting into OCS requires it so that's pretty much the only reason I'd be getting it.

That first bit is definitely true, and that's a good reason for going with that particular route. There's also multiple routes that don't require a degree (LDO, Warrant Officer), but good education benefits are hard to ignore.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:48 pm
Vikki Stardust
DarkElf27
Vikki Stardust
Yup, lots of 'shoulds' running around in my life. xd I'll probably maybe be on a bit more in a month or so.
I guess I probably should. xD I simply haven't before now because I don't want to imply a burden upon someone.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:18 pm
DarkElf27
Vikki Stardust
DarkElf27
Vikki Stardust
I guess I probably should. xD I simply haven't before now because I don't want to imply a burden upon someone.
But you found someone willing(?) and that's great! emotion_yatta  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:46 pm
DarkElf27
maui boy no ka oi
Many people have stated that officers straight out of college-OCS are not as respected as enlisted men who get into OCS and become officers later on. This coupled with the fact that I would actually like experience as an enlisted serviceman makes me think it's better to get the tuition assistance while serving. I'm in no rush to finish college as I personally don't believe in it, but getting into OCS requires it so that's pretty much the only reason I'd be getting it.

That first bit is definitely true, and that's a good reason for going with that particular route. There's also multiple routes that don't require a degree (LDO, Warrant Officer), but good education benefits are hard to ignore.
I've been told about warrant officers. Is there an opportunity for upwards mobility without a degree though? I'm an ambitious person personally and I have my eyes set on the commissioned officer ladder.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:33 pm
maui boy no ka oi
DarkElf27
maui boy no ka oi

I've been told about warrant officers. Is there an opportunity for upwards mobility without a degree though? I'm an ambitious person personally and I have my eyes set on the commissioned officer ladder.
Ambition/upward mobility can be double-edged. If you join and find that you like your particular job, you might be reluctant to give it up as you advance and move more into an admin/policy role. Limited-Duty Officers and Warrant officers don't advance as far or as fast, but they get to stick very closely to their specialty and (warrants especially) tend to fall into their own category of doing what they want, being neither enlisted nor formally commissioned.

If you want to go the full-on commissioned route, a degree is going to have to happen eventually. Even those who commission with a Bachelors sometimes end up getting sent after a tour or two to the War College or some variant to pick up a Master's as part of their professional development.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:24 pm
User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:01 am
DarkElf27
https://orig12.deviantart.net/01df/f/2017/241/f/e/pixel_imperial_armour_by_steeljoe-dblpn6g.gif

Hell Yeah! cool  

Asmondai
Crew

Aged Gaian

3,625 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:02 pm
DarkElf27
maui boy no ka oi
DarkElf27
maui boy no ka oi

Ambition/upward mobility can be double-edged. If you join and find that you like your particular job, you might be reluctant to give it up as you advance and move more into an admin/policy role. Limited-Duty Officers and Warrant officers don't advance as far or as fast, but they get to stick very closely to their specialty and (warrants especially) tend to fall into their own category of doing what they want, being neither enlisted nor formally commissioned.

If you want to go the full-on commissioned route, a degree is going to have to happen eventually. Even those who commission with a Bachelors sometimes end up getting sent after a tour or two to the War College or some variant to pick up a Master's as part of their professional development.
I can honestly say that I don't believe I will be overly attached to any job that I get. I have difficulty getting attached to anything in life period and do not hesitate to let go of anything I feel is holding me back. The only thing that truly matters to me is the obstacles and overcoming them. I'd like to think that is the very definition of ambition and I am happiest when I am fighting to prove a point.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:25 pm
What's new, kids? Been a while since ol' Uncle Caleidah has actually poked his head into the guild for more than a minute.  

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:13 pm
Caleidah
What's new, kids? Been a while since ol' Uncle Caleidah has actually poked his head into the guild for more than a minute.
What's up buddy? Candle's still burning, can't say much is new.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:16 am
Caleidah
We're all (somewhat) responsible adults now? sweatdrop  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:12 am
DarkElf27
Caleidah

Vikki Stardust

I'm working on being a responsible adult. Just ended up flat on my a** after a two year relationship, so...working on figuring out who the ******** I am as an individual again, I guess.

Along with armoring (leather and chain), a lot of work, and trying to re-learn how to paint minis with some Infinity Nomads and Bloodbowl minis.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:28 pm
Caleidah
DarkElf27
Caleidah

Vikki Stardust

I'm working on being a responsible adult. Just ended up flat on my a** after a two year relationship, so...working on figuring out who the ******** I am as an individual again, I guess.

Along with armoring (leather and chain), a lot of work, and trying to re-learn how to paint minis with some Infinity Nomads and Bloodbowl minis.
Nomads were the Arabic-themed ones, right? I liked those, played a demo a few months back. Didn't like Infinity because of how powerful alpha-striking could be, but it made for a more realistic skirmish game where position -really- matters.

Sorry about the girl, never knew that one so not much I can say, but happy to talk whenever you feel like it.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Jason Kharo

5,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:38 pm
Seems we're having a bit of a reunion. mrgreen

Nice seeing this place is still up and running, spent a lot of my teenage years here, learning how to roleplay (badly) and chatting about 40k.

DE, Cale and Vik, nice to see you guys are still here. Are Mac and Blodwyn still about?  
General Discussion (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 748 749 750 751 752 753 ... 762 763 764 765 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games