Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply General Discussion (Chatterbox)
Chatterbox Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 734 735 736 737 738 739 ... 762 763 764 765 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What army do you have?
Space Marines
19%
 19%  [ 45 ]
Eldar
4%
 4%  [ 10 ]
Dark Eldar
3%
 3%  [ 7 ]
Chaos Space Marines
10%
 10%  [ 25 ]
Tau
9%
 9%  [ 22 ]
Imperial Guard
6%
 6%  [ 15 ]
Necrons
4%
 4%  [ 11 ]
Deamon Hunters
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
Witch Hunters
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
Tyranids
4%
 4%  [ 11 ]
Orks
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
More than one.
30%
 30%  [ 71 ]
Total Votes : 231

Tiina Brown

Friendly Sentai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:26 am
Just bought the Deathwatch boardgame.
As an old Space Hulk - fancier, I am happy to see the return of the genestealer hybrids.
cat_whee
It remains to be seen what I think of all the rest, though.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:05 am
Asmondai
.......anyone else bought the Deathwatch boardgame?? sweatdrop

Now I have, and I've gone through the rules and the content.

I have not been able to play it yet due to me having limited possibilities to do so (no one to play it with), but I am confident that my general knowledge and skill in examining and imagining how it plays out will serve me well anyway.

First .... as I already written in the post above:
The Genestealer Hybrids are Back!
And with them, the entire Genestealer Cult concept with Patriarc (not "Broodlord"), Magus, and even a new variant called "Aberrants",and a new version of a Magus called a Primus.
The Magus even has Genestealer Familiars.
And that's In the Box.

Second, The Deathwatch has very varying warriors, most are in Power Armor, but one has Terminator Armor, and one even has a Bike.
Essentially, i'm amazed.

However, this is info you probably already knew.
So, content:

The Floorplans are (sadly?) not interlocking as in Space Hulk, but they are highly glossed, well painted and looking good.
A problem with boards may be that the light shines so it obscures the squares or other things one uses to measure movement, but on these boards the surface has been slightly cut in the pattern of the areas used for movement each side, so I guess this will make them visible even when the artwork is obscured by the shine.
...It do give me the "punch out" - feel in my fingers though.

Each Marine and each type of Cultist Leader has a separate card noting their respective attacks, as well as speed(essentially Move) and if they have any armor save.
Regular cultists has their stats on the back of the combined Rule- and Mission Book.

I will not go into detail or mention everything in the box, just assume that whatever I didn't mention was at least ok, such as the miniatures, dice, and a special range ruler for attacks.

So, on to the rules:
It is not like Space Hulk.
No AP's, no Command Points.
It looks more like a boardgame-skirmish-version of 40K, with movement phases (both sides, though) followed by Marine Attack, then Cult Attack, then Marine Attack again.
It also has armor saves, although some weapons ignores armor saves, of course, like the purestrain Genestealer claws.

The movement uses a more fluid move system, where one moves Areas (typically 2 for the Marines) instead of squares, and may group as one like in each Area.
Attacking uses a special range ruler instead, so how a model is positioned in an area may get important.

I'm personally not fond of the step away from the Space Hulk concept, but i'm sure a lot of others like the more 40K-like approach more.
Personally, I like the Area movement concept enough to consider it better than the strict square-movement.

And here I wrap it up for now.
If anyone has any questions, I may be able to answer them.  

Tiina Brown

Friendly Sentai

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:38 am
Tiina Brown
So, on to the rules:
It is not like Space Hulk.
No AP's, no Command Points.
It looks more like a boardgame-skirmish-version of 40K, with movement phases (both sides, though) followed by Marine Attack, then Cult Attack, then Marine Attack again.
It also has armor saves, although some weapons ignores armor saves, of course, like the purestrain Genestealer claws.
Just to clarify, all stand-alone games released by GW to date have had their own set of unique rules, each time trying something different from the previous releases.

This is done to make each game feel different and not make the customer feel like they're re-buying the same game over and over again, but in a slightly different setting and with different models.

As an added bonus, all released games to date have had post-release support so that the models can be used in either 40k, Age of Sigmar or the Horus Heresy.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:17 am
BrookM
Just to clarify, all stand-alone games released by GW to date have had their own set of unique rules, each time trying something different from the previous releases.

This is done to make each game feel different and not make the customer feel like they're re-buying the same game over and over again, but in a slightly different setting and with different models.

As an added bonus, all released games to date have had post-release support so that the models can be used in either 40k, Age of Sigmar or the Horus Heresy.

It makes it a constant state of experimentation, which is both good and bad.
Good because constant experimentation may find rules that are better to use in some cases, bad because the "Post-release support" only seem to be for the benefit of their "Main Games", and for the Stand-alones as being valuable as material, rather than also become something more than stand-alones.
As it is, I think it could be interesting to play for instance Space Hulk scenarios with the DW:O rules.

...It do make me wonder if they have reworked "Lost Patrol" or not, and if so, how.  

Tiina Brown

Friendly Sentai

Sean King

Lonely Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:54 pm
I'm going to be helping to run a 40K tournament and demos from the 15th to th 17th of July at Tokyo in Tulsa. this should be interesting for me as I have never done this before. It's also great because I don't have to pay to get in so it's a win-win for me.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:37 am
Tiina Brown
It makes it a constant state of experimentation, which is both good and bad.
Good because constant experimentation may find rules that are better to use in some cases, bad because the "Post-release support" only seem to be for the benefit of their "Main Games", and for the Stand-alones as being valuable as material, rather than also become something more than stand-alones.
As it is, I think it could be interesting to play for instance Space Hulk scenarios with the DW:O rules.
These stand-alone games were never to receive much in the way of support post release aside from maybe a FAQ or a few White Dwarf articles giving you extra scenarios or if one is lucky, a whole new faction to play with.

These games are mostly done as either entry-level games for new players, or as a fun diversion for the veteran players amongst us who would like to try something new from their usual armies and the like. Plus, some of these games offer great discounts on top of all of that. Looking at you.. Imperial Knight Renegades and Stormcloud Attack.

Tiina Brown
...It do make me wonder if they have reworked "Lost Patrol" or not, and if so, how.
Lost Patrol is a straight up re-release of the very same game all those years ago, right down to the same tile design. It just has updated minis and a more modern presentation of the rules now. It is still the same old, unwinnable game as then.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Sean King

Lonely Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:28 pm
Clear coated my first miniatures. Now for the post spray paint headache.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:38 pm
Seems like it's about time for me to make my "I'm not entirely dead, just mostly" post for the present.

Moved to a new place. Deeply investing in X-Wing. Internet is incredible. Let's play s**t on Tabletop Simulator. SteamID is Caleidah.  

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

Tiina Brown

Friendly Sentai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:36 am
Caleidah
Let's play s**t on Tabletop Simulator. SteamID is Caleidah.

Is that what you all are doing now?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:30 pm
Well that bloody con is over and I hurt like heck. We had 3 tables set up for 40K demos and we had demos going from oped to close all three days. Most of the time all three tables were in use. We also had a real scale Space Marine cosplay.
User Image  

Sean King

Lonely Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

Tiina Brown

Friendly Sentai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:24 am
....What's wrong with his shoulder pad?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:58 pm
The right one has a small reliquary. In his armor he was well over 7 feet tall. It was nice to see someone actually make a cosplay to scale instead of the 5"7 or so Marines I saw at Games Day.

He is the gentleman's Facebook page. Blood Angel Cosplay  

Sean King

Lonely Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:40 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

emotion_bigheart  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:55 pm
And you think it's hot where you live... Hint Ponca City

User Image  

Sean King

Lonely Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

Asmondai
Crew

Aged Gaian

3,625 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:53 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
General Discussion (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 734 735 736 737 738 739 ... 762 763 764 765 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games