Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
This is a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yanueh

Shameless Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:51 pm
Bastemhet
How would you differentiate an objective experience from a subjective experience? I need to know what you mean by objective before I can give an answer that would be relevant to this line of questioning.

I mean looking at the whole thing from a neutral standpoint. The way I see it, there's no honest way to tell whether or not the beings that called themselves gods had anything to do with the creation of the universe or not, or whether they are opportunistic lifeforms that get a kick out of playing with humans, or whether they were godforms that grew particularly powerful.  
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:29 pm
Yanueh
Bastemhet
How would you differentiate an objective experience from a subjective experience? I need to know what you mean by objective before I can give an answer that would be relevant to this line of questioning.

I mean looking at the whole thing from a neutral standpoint. The way I see it, there's no honest way to tell whether or not the beings that called themselves gods had anything to do with the creation of the universe or not, or whether they are opportunistic lifeforms that get a kick out of playing with humans, or whether they were godforms that grew particularly powerful.

What is the difference between a godform and a god?  

Bastemhet

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:34 am
Yanueh

I mean looking at the whole thing from a neutral standpoint. The way I see it, there's no honest way to tell whether or not the beings that called themselves gods had anything to do with the creation of the universe or not,

None that I worship claim to have created the universe, it isn't part of our lore- would that mean that you consider them not to be gods?

Yanueh
or whether they are opportunistic lifeforms that get a kick out of playing with humans,

I feel that this is perhaps an overly simplistic view in the same way that considering any relationship to be "playing" with another assumes motives and perspectives. I also feel that the term opportunistic lifeform implies something about biology and not ideology that is at the center of the relationships we form.

Yanueh
whether they were godforms that grew particularly powerful.

I think I addressed this already- but if you have more questions, I would be happy to answer them.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:50 pm
I'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not, so I figured that this is the best place to ask. I have a pendant that I wanted to give to my mate. I focused positive, healing energy into it and tried my best to tailor it to his own energy so that he would feel comfortable with it because I know how sensitive he is to other people's energy. It was hard because I've never done anything like that before and took a long time until I was satisfied with it. I felt proud of myself for what I believed I had accomplished. I wanted him to have it because I know he's been under a lot of stress lately, especially since his job is expanding and he's working harder, longer hours and problems with certain friendships have been putting pressure on him as well, especially since most of his friends come to him with their issues and expect him to be able to solve everything. Him, being the "problem solver" that he is, expends so much of himself trying to help, which doesn't help all the mental and emotional pressure he has on a daily basis. So I did it for him to give him healing energy, to help him when he needs it and such. I presented it to him and he refused it. He said that it would feel like he's taking of my energy and that it's against his set of beliefs to do so. I'm not sure why, it doesn't make sense to me and I'm confused and don't know if I should give up or try a different approach.  

ShadowCatSoul

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:54 pm
If he feels that taking something from you like that is against his beliefs, it seems to me that you may wish to give him something that isn't charged or enchanted, but can still provide an emotional and mental reassurance through symbolism.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:51 pm
I have another question, the use of symbols, if you wanted to create a symbol for your own personal use, (like the heart symbol is usually associated with love and such) what would be the some ways to go about it? I suppose one way to go about it could be to meditate on your meaning and see if any symbols come into your mind, or draw one down and and associate it with your meaning for a period of time until that's what you think of when you see that symbol.

Also, because I was searching for similar things I have a question about sigils as well, could you in theory use the same system for creating sigils and then use it as a symbol instead? No one really makes a clear difference - a sigil is to be destroyed, a symbol is not, it is normally meant to be seen, shared – used or that’s the idea I get.

I wondered what if forgetting the point of the sigil hinders you more then recalling it? Some of this is coming from chaos magicians - chaos magic which I though kind of went along the lines of if the usual approach doesn't work for you modify it or toss it.

Could one say a sigil is tool and you cannot modify it without making it into a different tool altogether? (Like a hammer is a hammer, but if you turn it into a screwdriver, it's a screwdriver?)

I'm looking for some clarity here, I've been looking into this and all the information is in a mess in my head. I believe I have a grasp of the general idea, this happens to me a lot.  

Scathefyre

Everyday Lunatic

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:43 pm
EmeraldLadder
I have another question, the use of symbols, if you wanted to create a symbol for your own personal use, (like the heart symbol is usually associated with love and such) what would be the some ways to go about it? I suppose one way to go about it could be to meditate on your meaning and see if any symbols come into your mind, or draw one down and and associate it with your meaning for a period of time until that's what you think of when you see that symbol.

Some things you can do is note down the characteristics you feel connect with what you are trying to represent. From there you can add characteristics from other esoteric references, such as numerology and use established artistic symbolism to blend several of them together.

EmeraldLadder
Also, because I was searching for similar things I have a question about sigils as well, could you in theory use the same system for creating sigils and then use it as a symbol instead? No one really makes a clear difference - a sigil is to be destroyed, a symbol is not, it is normally meant to be seen, shared – used or that’s the idea I get.
I know people who use sigils as spiritually charged doodles which reinforce their meaning.

EmeraldLadder
I wondered what if forgetting the point of the sigil hinders you more then recalling it? Some of this is coming from chaos magicians - chaos magic which I though kind of went along the lines of if the usual approach doesn't work for you modify it or toss it.
I feel that some of the work with sigils relies on your subconscious- so forgetting the symbol is actually a benefit.

EmeraldLadder
Could one say a sigil is tool and you cannot modify it without making it into a different tool altogether? (Like a hammer is a hammer, but if you turn it into a screwdriver, it's a screwdriver?)
I feel it depends on the degree of the modification. If I took a sledge hammer and modified it into a claw hammer and then into a tack hammer, it's all a hammer. Did that make sense?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:18 pm
What should I bring to a new apartment?

I'm looking for more stuff that I'd never imagine to have, but would come in handy.  

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100

Ultramarine Violet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:12 pm
Haaalp!

Does anyone here know the names of the cats that pull Freyja's sled?

Or even what types of cat they were?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:14 pm
Ultramarine Violet
Haaalp!

I've seen references to tom-cats.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:28 pm
Don't think there are any surviving sources at to what exactly they were (there is some debate as well, on if they were actually cats). There are two names mentioned in a few places, but they are apparently from a work of fiction, not related to any actual lore.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:01 pm
Esiris
Ultramarine Violet
Haaalp!

Ah, thanks - that resolves my issue, though not in the way I expected. sweatdrop

@too2sweet: Bwah. So detailed surviving references are pretty much nil, then?

Are their other gods/goddesses in European traditions that have notable connections with cats? Just off the tops of your heads? I'd appreciate the help, and will be researching on my own, as well. Thanks!

In other news: Did you know that wild servals, when presented with a large quantity of food, will often snarf it down so fast that it blocks their throat, and they have to regurgibarf the blockage before they can continue eating?  

Ultramarine Violet

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:15 pm
AniMajor
What should I bring to a new apartment?

I'm looking for more stuff that I'd never imagine to have, but would come in handy.
Things I can think of in no particular order: trash can, plunger, toilet brush, broom and pan, bucket and mop, oven mitts, flashlight, insecticide (RAID)..  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:19 pm
Ultramarine Violet
Esiris
Ultramarine Violet
Haaalp!

Ah, thanks - that resolves my issue, though not in the way I expected. sweatdrop

@too2sweet: Bwah. So detailed surviving references are pretty much nil, then?

Are their other gods/goddesses in European traditions that have notable connections with cats? Just off the tops of your heads? I'd appreciate the help, and will be researching on my own, as well. Thanks!

In other news: Did you know that wild servals, when presented with a large quantity of food, will often snarf it down so fast that it blocks their throat, and they have to regurgibarf the blockage before they can continue eating?

Palu?  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Ultramarine Violet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:58 pm
Esiris
Ultramarine Violet
Are there other gods/goddesses in European traditions that have notable connections with cats? Just off the tops of your heads? I'd appreciate the help, and will be researching on my own, as well. Thanks!

Palu?
Thank you much - I'm actually not familiar with Palu, so that'll be a good research exercise, at bare minimum. heart  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff