Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

[OFF-TOPIC] Post here, earn gold!!!!! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 92 93 94 95 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ferret658

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:34 pm
-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden
I hate it when people say Catholics are idoltorers but I really hate it when they rely on another's posts instead of doing the research themselves.

Why do you hate it? My family is part catholic, and I have no problem saying that their idolators. But then again, everyone else is too. There's plenty of crap in the world that we put above God....  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:49 am
ferret658
-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden
I hate it when people say Catholics are idoltorers but I really hate it when they rely on another's posts instead of doing the research themselves.

Why do you hate it? My family is part catholic, and I have no problem saying that their idolators. But then again, everyone else is too. There's plenty of crap in the world that we put above God....
Because it's blasphemy, and it's derogatory. It's rude. People seem to have no respect about the denomination that came before theirs or rather the denomination their's split off into. I mean seriously. Without catholics (not RCC per se) There wouldn't be a Christianity as we know it, there wouldn't be a Bible, there wouldn't be a Christmas, Easter, or Halloween. -twitch-  

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

MatthewLovesChocolate123

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:40 am
It's not about RELIGION! It's about having a relationship with Jesus Christ our SAVIOR! biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:48 am
ferret658
-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden

It's stereotyping. Not all Catholics are idolaters. My friend who isn't Catholic went to a Catholic high school and explained that a lot of what we see as idolatry really has a deeper meaning being it.

freelance lover
Crew

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:32 am
Yeah, the Catholics stand on a lot of ceremony. It's actually pretty sad that most people inside the Catholic church aren't aware of WHY things are happening this way, or why this is like that, or why this has to be just so.

Then again... a lot of the traditions DID come about by converting Greek/Roman temples and tossing up saints to worship instead. lol  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:41 am
So I figured out yesterday the Lupis has an STD. Which isn't surprising. But I'm thoroughly pissed off at him. I broke down because stress was finally getting to me and my hormones are probably on the rise. What ticked me off was that he said "I'd love to physically support you but right now I can't" What the hell? What kind of friend says that? Nevertheless what kind of Christian would do that? Why is he letting his so called peace stop him from helping someone who could very well get kicked out by Christmas?

I mean the one person I don't really consider a friend that much anymore actually told he to call her when that happens and that she'll let me stay with her, and my friend Alfredo, who I have feelings for, asked me to move to Seattle. I think he wants me to live with him. You know, that's what actual friends do.

I was being standoffish to him when he imed me earlier. He asked me if I would rather not speak to him. I told him that I'm having a hard time trusting him after what he did to me. So I'm going to be standoffish for a while. He says understandable. I asked if he thought I would immediately forgive him he said of course not, that he wasn't that stupid. Really? Because after getting a bacterial STD, that pretty much has I'm an idiot, written all over you face. It's not an insult it's the truth! And soon it'll say I'm a Retard after your peace comes apart and is shattered.

No I'm not spiteful, I have a wicked intuition that is scarily accurate. Call it a gift from God or a curse from Satan. I also know by studying his pattern of behavior. He'll either find some way to mess it up or his gf will break things off.

Edited by Fushigi na Butterfly  

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:41 am
The Amazing Ryuu
Yeah, the Catholics stand on a lot of ceremony. It's actually pretty sad that most people inside the Catholic church aren't aware of WHY things are happening this way, or why this is like that, or why this has to be just so.

Then again... a lot of the traditions DID come about by converting Greek/Roman temples and tossing up saints to worship instead. lol
I understand the history and reason why. I did a paper on it for Journalism. neutral  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:04 pm
The trouble with Catholic traditions (and traditions in general) and idols is that they put an unncessary burden on people's relationships with God. It doesn't matter how much meaning is behind whatever it is, kissing the foot of a statue of Jesus on a cross does nothing but make a person submissive to the middlemen of religion.

/rant

Priestley

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:01 pm
I can't complain too much. Jesus had an occasional flair for ceremony and the dramatic. Besides, it's nice to have something there if you WANT to do it. Otherwise show up to church and sit in the back wearing jeans and a Tshirt like the rest of us. xd  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:39 am
Being a United Methodist, I like tradition to an extent. I think if it has meaning and if meaningful to the person, sure why not but if you don't understand it and are just going through the motions, there's no point.

Though, especially within the Catholic church many of those traditions are so old it's cool to think about millions of other people hundreds of years ago who worshiped God in the same way. It's the same way I think about the imitation ceremony for my sorority, to an extent- every other woman who is a member of my sisterhood has gone through the same ceremony. That in and of itself can create a kind of bond.

Though, with God I see the relationship as a lot more personal, so if you don't like sit-stand-kneel repeat, find something that you do like and allows you to connect with God.

freelance lover
Crew

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:52 pm
Seeing as I have said Catholics are idolaters, I suppose I should respond to this issue.

-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden
ferret658
-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden

Because it's blasphemy, and it's derogatory. It's rude. People seem to have no respect about the denomination that came before theirs or rather the denomination their's split off into. I mean seriously. Without catholics (not RCC per se) There wouldn't be a Christianity as we know it, there wouldn't be a Bible, there wouldn't be a Christmas, Easter, or Halloween. -twitch-

Accusations of idolatry have been leveled against Catholics for centuries. It has a certain degree of appeal, given the veneration of images, saints and people found in the Catholic church.

The defense Catholicism has against this accusation is the distinction between latreía and douleía. Latreía is considered the type of reverence one should have for God. Douleía is considered a different type of reverence, a lesser one. It is allowed (actually required) by the Catholic church and considered not to be idolatry.

Personally, I find the distinction bogus. I know too much about what the Catholic church has done, and while douleía may be said to be different than latreía, quite often it has not been. In the past the two were conflated constantly. Even now, when I talk to Catholics many still conflate the two, including a fair number of priests. Personally, I think mandating reverence for idols should qualify as idolatry, even if one uses the latreía/douleía excuse, especially since these idols are said to stand between the individual and God.

P.S. For what it is worth, according to the Catholic encyclopedia, they only consider something blasphemy if it speaks against God in some form. Accusing Catholics of idolatry does not qualify as blasphemy under this definition.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:11 pm
Oh yeah, I want to respond to another part of that post.

-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden
People seem to have no respect about the denomination that came before theirs or rather the denomination their's split off into. I mean seriously. Without catholics (not RCC per se) There wouldn't be a Christianity as we know it, there wouldn't be a Bible, there wouldn't be a Christmas, Easter, or Halloween. -twitch-

Why should anyone be obliged to respect that which came before them? If someone thinks the Catholic Church is a horrible entity, why should he or she show it respect? If someone thinks the Catholic Church just got a lot of things wrong, and has no bearing on their life now, why should they show it respect? Simply put, why should anyone have to show respect to the Catholic Church?

Moreover, who is to say without Catholics there would be no Bible? The Bible, as it is now, came about over centuries, through the actions of hundreds of individuals. The Catholic Church wasn't necessary for a Bible to be made, though perhaps things would have been different without it.

As fir Christmas, Easter and Halloween, I think it would be better for Christianity if they did not exist. The bastardization of these holidays by incorporating pagan elements solely for political reasons was atrocious. The holidays have been defiled, largely due to Catholic leadership.

Besides, people could have still celebrated Jesus's birth and resurrection. They just would have done it in a different (and quite possibly better) way.

P.S. While I am quite critical of the Catholic Church, I would like to point out something. I think the Catholic Church has improved a great deal from what it was. What it was centuries ago was atrocious. What it is now is much better. I do not agree with Catholicism, but I do respect its attempts at self-improvement. I also harbor no ill will towards anyone because Catholicism.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Atreadia Allaani

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:11 pm
I am happy to say that my mother has come out of surgery without complications. She is resting, and my Da is sleeping in the ICU with her. He is holding her hand... what a cute couple they are.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:24 pm
I'm talking to my "friend" Lupis. I'm giving him a hard time because he claims to want to change and be a Christian but I know that he's trying to let go of his past. He thinks I'm wrong, but deep down I know he knows I'm right. He just won't accept it because he's wrapped in his delusions.  

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:47 am
-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden
I'm talking to my "friend" Lupis. I'm giving him a hard time because he claims to want to change and be a Christian but I know that he's trying to let go of his past. He thinks I'm wrong, but deep down I know he knows I'm right. He just won't accept it because he's wrapped in his delusions.

Sometimes you just have to let people figure things out for themselves. Either because they won't learn otherwise or they just won't listen. Especially if they're going through a hard time.  

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 92 93 94 95 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games