Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Welcome to the Rehab Center Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 86 87 88 89 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

buttonz is The Best

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:17 pm
because for 4 years ive been studying for on and off, but in the past year and a day, ive been hardcore studying everyday!  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:54 pm
buttonz is The Best
because for 4 years ive been studying for on and off, but in the past year and a day, ive been hardcore studying everyday!

Except you specifically said "practiced." Not studied.

In this guild, it is very important to say exactly what you mean.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

bones89

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:06 pm
Let's see here... My name is Abby and I asked to join this guild in hopes to be educated or at the very least be directed in a right direction. I don't really have a specific following when it comes to paganism. I do know that I want to know and understand correctly. I guess my first question i would have to ask is, of all the "fluff" that is out there how much of it has fact? I understand that some information is kept secret and is oath-bound. But I just want to know how many steps I have to take backwards?

Blessed Be  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:17 pm
Welcome, Bones!

If you're making a general inquiry into Pagan faiths, the amount and type of "fluff" varies depending on the subject. What have you been looking at so far? Do you have any books you've been reading? Is there a specific culture of pantheon you feel drawn to?  

AvalonAuggie

4,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200

bones89

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:22 pm
AvalonAuggie
Welcome, Bones!

If you're making a general inquiry into Pagan faiths, the amount and type of "fluff" varies depending on the subject. What have you been looking at so far? Do you have any books you've been reading? Is there a specific culture of pantheon you feel drawn to?

Well when I was in school Greek mythology always kept my attention along with Native American folklore. I also was really big into astrology there for a while (studying the different signs and their meaning). I wanted to study Wicca but I was told by a very helpful Gaian (I wish I could remember his name) that what I was trying to study and practice was not Wicca. That was when I was told about this guild but I haven't gotten around to joining til now.

As for reading material, I do a lot of web surfing I own two books one of them, after lurking around here for a few forums, I am no longer going to bother with. *coughsilverravenwolfcough*
The other book I have is Wicca for One by Raymond Buckland

I have read mixed reviews about Buckland... personally I enjoyed the book, it may not be the most "correct" material but I did enjoy it.

I honestly am not looking for covens or anything I would rather stay a solitary practitioner. Really I guess I am trying to find a spiritual path that I myself can control. If that makes any sense at all. I just don't want to be mislead by false information.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:40 pm
bones89

Blessed Be
Just as an FYI, this is rather offensive to a number of people for different reasons.

bones89

Well when I was in school Greek mythology always kept my attention along with Native American folklore. I also was really big into astrology there for a while (studying the different signs and their meaning). I wanted to study Wicca but I was told by a very helpful Gaian (I wish I could remember his name) that what I was trying to study and practice was not Wicca. That was when I was told about this guild but I haven't gotten around to joining til now.
The Hellenic Pantheon is an open one. Native Americans, not so much. In fact, the Lokota have declared war for culture rape.

Quote:
As for reading material, I do a lot of web surfing I own two books one of them, after lurking around here for a few forums, I am no longer going to bother with. *coughsilverravenwolfcough*

I have read mixed reviews about Buckland... personally I enjoyed the book, it may not be the most "correct" material but I did enjoy it.

I honestly am not looking for covens or anything I would rather stay a solitary practitioner. Really I guess I am trying to find a spiritual path that I myself can control. If that makes any sense at all. I just don't want to be mislead by false information.
A large problem with Buckland is his racism and lies that he uses to turn a profit.

Sounds like what you are looking for is Standing Stone trad.  

TeaDidikai

bones89

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:12 am
TeaDidikai
bones89

Blessed Be
Just as an FYI, this is rather offensive to a number of people for different reasons.

bones89

The Hellenic Pantheon is an open one. Native Americans, not so much. In fact, the Lokota have declared war for culture rape.

Quote:

A large problem with Buckland is his racism and lies that he uses to turn a profit.

Sounds like what you are looking for is Standing Stone trad.

My apologies for anyone who took offense, I really don't mean to and in the same token this is why I am here.

Like I said in regards to Buckland, even if he is wrong I did enjoy the book.

Can you elaborate more on Standing Stone trad.? I'm sorry for my ignorance but I really have realized that I don't know much of anything anymore. I learned this after perusing the different forums here. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:19 pm
bones89

Can you elaborate more on Standing Stone trad.? I'm sorry for my ignorance but I really have realized that I don't know much of anything anymore. I learned this after perusing the different forums here. sweatdrop

The Standing Stone tradition is a general Pagan trad that's non-initiatory and solitary-friendly. It was started by Scott Cunningham (great author for getting into general Paganism) and the Standing Stone Book of Shadows is included in his book, Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner.

Granted, that's a confusing title because when it was originally published (someone correct me if I'm wrong) Cunningham was taking a more "liberal" view of Wicca than what's generally accepted, but since then the Standing Stone practitioners have stopped using the term Wicca, much like the Dianic tradition. Anyway, it's a great book to get if you're just starting out, very useful for helping you figure out what you want from your religion and choosing which elements to incorporate. It was one of the first books I picked up when I got interested in Pagan religions. Definitely worth a buy.  

AvalonAuggie

4,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200

bones89

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:33 pm
AvalonAuggie
bones89

The Standing Stone tradition is a general Pagan trad that's non-initiatory and solitary-friendly. It was started by Scott Cunningham (great author for getting into general Paganism) and the Standing Stone Book of Shadows is included in his book, Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner.

Granted, that's a confusing title because when it was originally published (someone correct me if I'm wrong) Cunningham was taking a more "liberal" view of Wicca than what's generally accepted, but since then the Standing Stone practitioners have stopped using the term Wicca, much like the Dianic tradition. Anyway, it's a great book to get if you're just starting out, very useful for helping you figure out what you want from your religion and choosing which elements to incorporate. It was one of the first books I picked up when I got interested in Pagan religions. Definitely worth a buy.

Thanks very much. ^_^ I am going to see if I can find that in my book store. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:04 pm
bones89

My apologies for anyone who took offense, I really don't mean to and in the same token this is why I am here.
Apology accepted.

Part of it has to do with being thoughtful. Whose blessings are you inflicting?
Part of it is that this is lifted from the cult of the Wica, and thus to misuse it outside of the cult is kinda insulting.

Quote:
Like I said in regards to Buckland, even if he is wrong I did enjoy the book.
~shrugs~ I'm the kind of person who sets my pocketbook next to my ethics.

I dislike the fact that he lied to you and took your money in regards to something called Wicca. I dislike the fact that as an oathbreaker, someone who is going to burn in hell, he is perpetuating this falsehood in order to take advantage of people like you.

And that's even before we talk about his racist lies about a whole culture.

Quote:
Auggie got it right, with perhaps a small correction.

How "liberal" the view of the title of Wicca is up in the air. Gardner used the term in a vague way initially. He treated it as a synonym for witch. While I don't think anyone in their right mind would suggest that all witches are Wiccan, at the time Cunningham was writing, the use of it as a synonym was common.  

TeaDidikai

Stark Raveling Mad

4,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:11 pm
Hullo! I'm new. Well, I've been here for a while, but this is the first time I've posted. I'm rather shy. wink

I've just turned 18 so I decided that I was perfectly capable of making my own religious decisions. I live in a conservative household so I know . . nothing. Literally. I've read a few things about pagan beliefs and I find it attractive, but as far as true facts? Ugh.

I'm here to learn, but first if someone will please wipe all the fluff off of me . .  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:13 pm
Welcome Bows.

Hope you find the guild useful.  

TeaDidikai

Crowley Gabriel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:20 pm
Hello, my name is Geal Faolchu and I am a beginner of the craft. I have been reading and such for the past 10 years. But I didn't consider myself a Witch until just this past summer when I was living with my Pagan sister for a few months. She taught me a ton of stuff, I'm still in contact with her and talk about wicca and such. I'm hoping by coming here, I'll meet new people and learn more as I age.

Blessed Be

Geal Faolchu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:05 pm
Geal Faolchu
I was living with my Pagan sister for a few months. She taught me a ton of stuff

Your sister can not have taught you much in a few months. The process simply takes much longer than that.

Geal Faolchu
I'm still in contact with her and talk about wicca and such.

Your sister is either not Wiccan or is not teaching you anything about Wicca.
Wicca is oathbound. You can't teach people who aren't part of the club, so to speak.

Geal Faolchu
Blessed Be

That's actually quite offensive as a sign-off for most Wiccans.
It's using a contextually specific phrase in a context it really doesn't belong in.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Crowley Gabriel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:55 pm
CuAnnan
Geal Faolchu
I was living with my Pagan sister for a few months. She taught me a ton of stuff

Your sister can not have taught you much in a few months. The process simply takes much longer than that.

Geal Faolchu
I'm still in contact with her and talk about wicca and such.

Your sister is either not Wiccan or is not teaching you anything about Wicca.
Wicca is oathbound. You can't teach people who aren't part of the club, so to speak.

Geal Faolchu
Blessed Be

That's actually quite offensive as a sign-off for most Wiccans.
It's using a contextually specific phrase in a context it really doesn't belong in.

What are you talking about? She taught me little stuff over the years, but just some basics and gave me advice on what books to read and such. So don't say crap like that when you don't know me at all. I was just saying something simple about me and how I came to know paganism. Besides, my sister is not Wiccan, she's Pagan. Never judge a book by its cover and don't tell me what I can and can't say. I have a right to say what I want. I don't care if it's offensive in any way. People can just deal with it or leave me the hell alone.

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 86 87 88 89 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games