Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
This is a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:20 am
AniMajor
In Thelema, or other Ceremonial-type magic, how are rituals closed? Is there a special post-ritual ritual?

Liber XV ends in a benediction if I recall.  
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:47 pm
AniMajor
In Thelema, or other Ceremonial-type magic, how are rituals closed? Is there a special post-ritual ritual?

I know the Lesser Banishing Rite of the Pentagram has an outgoing ritual which is an inverse of the ingoing. I don't remember the others anymore.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Converting 100 items 100
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:30 am
Can you do a tarot card reading for a pet like a cat or dog?  
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:02 am
Musical_Vampire_Socks

I don't think it's impossible, but I'd wonder if it is the most effective course of action.
What kind of reading?  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Converting 100 items 100
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:23 am
Brass Bell Doll
Musical_Vampire_Socks

I don't think it's impossible, but I'd wonder if it is the most effective course of action.
What kind of reading?

Like a reading if the pet is sick or if the pet is going to have surgery what will be the outcome of it Or if its a kitten or puppy and you don't know its personality yet and want to learn about it.  
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:08 pm
Musical_Vampire_Socks
Brass Bell Doll
Musical_Vampire_Socks

What kind of reading?

Like a reading if the pet is sick or if the pet is going to have surgery what will be the outcome of it Or if its a kitten or puppy and you don't know its personality yet and want to learn about it.

I'm sure you could do a reading for those things, but I think checking with a vet's prognosis or spending time with the animal might be a better use of a person's time.  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Yanueh

Shameless Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:46 pm
I do not think that prayer and spells are the same thing... usually. However, I have noticed that people who pray use some of the same methods people use when using spellwork: meditation of some form. Clearing the mind of all earthly matters. Fasting. Singing/chanting.

Also, there are also servitors that people create to carry out various tasks, which apparently given enough time and energy, the servitors can develop into godforms.

This indicates to me that the line between prayer and spellwork is somewhat fuzzy, and that while prayer has some technical differences from spellwork, may merely be yet another method of working magic, albeit routed through a godform than done directly.

Does this make me fluffy? Perhaps it's because I don't explain myself well, but some people seem to look down their noses at me because I'm seeing more similarities in the methods than differences.  
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:17 pm
I do not feel it is fluffy, but I would also say I disagree with the conclusions.

While it would be hard to get a diverse group working from different religions to agree on the definitions for magic/k, prayer and spells, I do not think the overlap is great enough to have any significant impact.  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:40 pm
Some spells involve prayers. This is especially common in any of the eclectic traditions that really picked up in the Victorian Era. This by no means limits them to those traditions however.

It also depends on how one really wishes to use the word Spell. Ritual is a slightly safer, if more generalized term. Altho not all spells are rituals, nor are all prayers.  
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:29 am
Yanueh, you only mention prayer in regards to servitors and godforms. Are you distinguishing prayer to actual gods from prayer to godforms? I can imagine that some people may become upset if you assert or imply that whom they think they are working with is not an actual god but a godform.

I also think it worth nothing that not all prayer is done with the intent to accomplish or achieve a goal to change some kind of circumstance through use of will (this is what I define as magic). Sometimes people just pray to communicate with their god/s and maintain a relationship with them.  

Bastemhet

Yanueh

Shameless Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:30 am
Bastemhet
Yanueh, you only mention prayer in regards to servitors and godforms. Are you distinguishing prayer to actual gods from prayer to godforms? I can imagine that some people may become upset if you assert or imply that whom they think they are working with is not an actual god but a godform.

Objectively speaking, how would you know whether a particular entity is a god or a godform?  
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:57 am
Some actions you described, such as meditation, are perhaps not so much part of the spell or prayer itself, but are used to prepare the spellworker/supplicant for operations on a spiritual level. Most of us feel the need to be in a certain state of mind/energy/however you describe it in order to effectively communicate with the spiritual world, and I think that can be true for both magic and prayer.  

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:27 am
Yanueh

Objectively speaking, how would you know whether a particular entity is a god or a godform?

In my life, it has been a combination of things. I have been tested in ways that give me reasonable certainty that how I sense energy is accurate, from that my conclusions based on sensing what I am experiencing have been reconfirmed by detailing claircognitive experiences to people who knew the lore better than I did, only to have it confirmed.  
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:21 pm
Yanueh
Bastemhet

How would you differentiate an objective experience from a subjective experience? I need to know what you mean by objective before I can give an answer that would be relevant to this line of questioning.  

Bastemhet

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:55 pm
Yanueh

How does a non-omniscient know anything objectively? ninja  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces