Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
T i r a e l - [Full] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Noa

Wheezing Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:08 pm
@)($#)!@(&#@UOIASHDL XXDDDDDDD!!! *SPAZ*!!!!
*ahem*

1. http://erina.deviantart.com (8O...you should know my artworks)
2. DD8 Your mad color skills, your awesome drawing skills, your pwnsome composition knowledge, and everything else you rule at.
3. Composition, bolder color usage, technique, anatomy, *goes on til eternity*
4. 8OO!! Just popped in my head, but WATERCOLOR! DDX;; ompg you must enlighten me!  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:15 pm
O:... I HAVE NOTHINGS TO TEACH YOU /kicks out/

OH FINE. at least maybe you'll be easy to teach 8D;; I can just not do anything and be like LOOKITHIS MASTERPIECE. ALL THANKS TO ME!! KTHXBAI...

/goes to add to list/

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Noa

Wheezing Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:16 pm
XOOOO!!! BUT I JUST LISTED A WHOLE BUNCH YOU CAN TEACH ME!!!!

8OOO!! NuuU~ I shall suck out all your art knowledge DDX!!!  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:05 pm
domokun domokun domokun domokun domokun domokun

Please please please let me learn under you...... we're allowed 2 mentors ne?

http://goddesshaliya.deviantart.com  

beddyteddy2

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:11 pm
Noa
XOOOO!!! BUT I JUST LISTED A WHOLE BUNCH YOU CAN TEACH ME!!!!

8OOO!! NuuU~ I shall suck out all your art knowledge DDX!!!
PSH LIES /slap/

omg haliya D'X I HAVE NOTHING TO TEACH YOU EITHER. D'8.. and yeah you can have two mentors.

;3; /goes to add/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:21 pm
ooooraaayt!!!! thanks! ^_^

I'm sort of still torn with how i want to go with this.. basically I'm trying to get into digital painting without the linework...

User Image

Version 1

Version 2  

beddyteddy2

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:47 pm
O:!! I think you're already doing awesomely on those WIP's

First I want to know what program you're using and if you're doing the parts on seperate layers.

I think my only suggestion at this point is to try to use more colors - The hair is pink/blue whatever, but you don't have to use a darker shade of blue to shade blue hair =3= You can use purples, reds, browns, whatever... also you can try mixing your blue with the background tone and then making it darker so that your shadows will make the picture seem more a part of the environment. It'll also make things look more three-dimensional O:. (I'm sure you know all this technically already X'D)

But really awesome looking character *__* <3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:51 pm
Ummm... X'D I'm going to give the last spot to allaree since she's been stalking them for a while and I'd feel horrible if she missed them >__>;; I hope no one minds. D:  

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

beddyteddy2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:55 pm
Thanks for giving me tips. I have received tips on strokes and highlights but yeah... shadows are my problem, painting-wise. I'll be sure to try them out.

I use Photoshop CS2 and yes.. I do use multiple layers. (knowing and being able to apply what you know are 2 different things.. sweatdrop )  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:02 pm
LoL yes >_> I get that too... I mean most of the time I know technically what to do but when it gets to the doing part I make some really basic mistakes sometimes o_<;;

Oh yeah a trick I do to make kinda flat colored stuff look more interesting/dimensional is I take a new layer on multiply, the airbrush tool on low opacity and pick a fairly saturated color different from the base color (if you're going with the blue hair I'd use maybe some reds, or even the background color) And then I spray the shadowy areas with that. Then I merge down and rework it a bit so it looks more natural.

edit: errr... X'D I went to make sure I knew what I was talking about so I did a quick paintover to show what I mean:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/nini206/redline/76cfaecb.jpg

I think it ended up being too much my style of coloring though, but you get the basic idea 8D;;

General painting tips:
back -> front
dark -> light
or midtones -> both ways
rough -> detail

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

beddyteddy2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:41 pm
wow... for a quick paintover it looks great... XD This ish exellent reference. 3nodding Thanks very much. heart  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:13 pm
8D; no problem X'D good luck and remember you don't have to follow what I do >3>;;

Other general tip on painting as they occur to me:
don't worry about mixing your colors together or if they bleed into each other. Also use blending tools with caution or it can muddy up colors/make things look fuzzy.

I also usually find that I need to make shadows darker than I think they are... but that might just be me D:

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

The Victims

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:49 pm
T i r a e l
Ummm... X'D I'm going to give the last spot to allaree since she's been stalking them for a while and I'd feel horrible if she missed them >__>;; I hope no one minds. D:

OMFG ILU! <3333 THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH! <3 Okay. SOrry about that. sweatdrop Sorry I couldn't get on at that time... My friend made me play capture the flag with her... x.x ANyways....

THis is my deviantart and I think you could help me with like...EVEYTHING!!!! Haha. I also reaaally wanna know hoe you digital paint like the picture you did of lilithia and also the picture you did of your own avi labeled pudder. Those are amazing! *w* Should I go and draw some stuffs?! ^_^

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:48 pm
Allaree: pomg biggrin yay *3*

Hmm I'm not quite sure yet what to do from here 8D;; I thnk I should make a tutorial soon...

ANYHOW, yeah go ahead and draw stuff and just show me what you draw for now and what you're trying to achieve with the drawing =3= <3

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out