GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:03 pm

puff93
GilAskan
puff93
GilAskan
MysteryCross
Isn't AFI, My Chemical Romance, and Evanescence considered "emo screamo"??? 0o?? and wha about Avenged Sevenfold?? 0o???

AFI - Hardcore Revival

My Chemical Romance - Powerpop

Evanescence - Symphonic Metal

Avenged Sevenfold - Post-hardcore w/ metal influences

"Screamo" isn't a real genre. Most bands called "screamo" are powerpop, or some related genre.

"Emo" stands for "emotive hardcore" (NOT emotional) and is best represented by bands like "Sunny Day Real Estate" and "Rites of Spring". The genre is very similar to hardcore-punk, however, it features emotionally evocative lyrics (hence the name "emotive hardcore"), rather than the apathetic, hate-driven anthems of hardcore.

plz don't call my chemical romance power pop, oviusly you hav't herd all of there song sure some of the hits might seam that way but the best ones (i'm not ok ,this isn't a fashion statmen ,it's a fing death wish not powerpop, listen to it all before u clasif

I have heard all of their songs. Every album.

Powerpop may not have been as accurate a term as "pop-rock". However, powerpop elements are very evident.

pop rock is not even a genre scream scream scream scream scream scream scream grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr if there was such a thing it's a compleate oposites pop is sweet and kind rock is not it could be rock/punk with some pop infulneces got it not a genre

Pop-rock:

A genre which blends traditional pop elements into a rock base. The genre is characterized by simple song structure (typically following the traditional "Opening -> First Verse -> Chorus -> Second Verse -> Chorus -> Bridge -> Chorus" pattern, usually), catchy melodies, basic guitar and drum arrangements, and fast (sometimes aggressive) tempo.

The genre is broad, encompassing thousands of bands. The Beatles, Green Day, OK Go, The Aquabats, My Chemical Romance, Queen... just a few.

Saying that pop-rock isn't a genre is liking saying green isn't a color. Blue and yellow together become green; they don't become "blue with some yellow influences". Likewise, pop and rock together become a new genre which blends elements of both, pop-rock.

My Chemical Romance is a pop-rock band because their music encompasses virtually all of the genre's conventions, though, as a whole, they're less repetitious than most pop-rock groups (save for a few songs, of course). They also, as I mentioned, take influence from horror-punk thematically, theatrically, and (occassionally) in the intensity of vocals.

Also, I must correct you: pop is not always sweet, and rock is not always mean. The genres can have any emotional or thematic styles you can imagine.

Voltaire for example is almost pure pop in structure, and he sings about nothing but gruesome murders, necrophilia, sodomy, molestation, suicide... the darkest parts of human nature. Pop is defined by it's upbeat catchy melodies, not by its subject matter. Rock is defined by it's instrumental arrangements and style of guitar playing, not by it's subject matter.

Citations:
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:419
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop-rock
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:15 pm

GilAskan
"blue with some yellow influences"

xd

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Sound within Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:02 pm

Shattenhund
evanescence, tool, rammstein, their are others, I cant think of them right now

No, no, and NO
Tool is rock, evanescence is rock and Rammstein is german rock, Not goth not somewhat close to goth....
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:41 pm

shukaku the cursed
Shattenhund

No, no, and NO
Tool is rock, evanescence is rock and Rammstein is german rock, Not goth not somewhat close to goth....

Rammstein is actually Industrial.

German rock is very different from what Rammstein sounds like.

_S_P_I_K_E_B_A_N_D

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:19 pm

Spikeband
shukaku the cursed
Shattenhund

No, no, and NO

Rammstein isn't krautrock (a more common term for german rock), but Rammstein isn't industrial either. They've taken influence from industrial (a branch of electronic music), but all of their work falls under various metal genres including (but not limited to) heavy metal, doom metal, and symphonic metal.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:52 pm

GilAskan
Spikeband
shukaku the cursed
Shattenhund

No, no, and NO

Rammstein isn't krautrock (a more common term for german rock), but Rammstein isn't industrial either. They've taken influence from industrial (a branch of electronic music), but all of their work falls under various metal genres including (but not limited to) heavy metal, doom metal, and symphonic metal.

Hrmmm. My iTunes classified them as Industrial or Metal when I ripped my Rosenrot album... and all the other ones

xD

_S_P_I_K_E_B_A_N_D

bloodyandrea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:42 pm

cradle of filth
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:42 pm

bloodyandrea
cradle of filth

Lol, black metal.
Metal =/= goth

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:38 am

Spikeband
GilAskan
Spikeband
shukaku the cursed
Shattenhund

No, no, and NO

Hrmmm. My iTunes classified them as Industrial or Metal when I ripped my Rosenrot album... and all the other ones

xD

iTunes also lists Aiden as goth rock. That automatically strips iTunes of all legitimacy in genre labelling.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:29 pm

Hmm, I was actually listening to what you said until...

Quote:
AFI - Hardcore Revival

"Screamo" isn't a real genre. Most bands called "screamo" are powerpop, or some related genre.

AFI - Plain Hardcore,

MCR - Alternative Rock

Evanescence - Hardly metal in any way, you could call it symphonic, but not metal.

A7X - You mean Metal with Hardcore influences?

Screamo is a genre, you can hardly call Saetia or many others Screamo bands "powerpop".

Melsza

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:04 pm

Melsza

Quote:
AFI - Hardcore Revival

AFI - Plain Hardcore,

MCR - Alternative Rock

Evanescence - Hardly metal in any way, you could call it symphonic, but not metal.

Screamo is a genre, you can hardly call Saetia or many others Screamo bands "powerpop".

(I know it'd be better for GilAskan to reply to this himself, but eh, my two cents)
The hardcore punk movement ended before AFI was around. Therefore, some of their music brought some of that hardcore element back. So it is a revival.

MCR isn't really that alternative. Gerard Way himself called it "pop with some horror punk influences". Personally, I just call it pop rock, rather than powerpop (which is what most bands labled scream-o tend to be)

There is a genre called symphonic metal. And the sound of Evanescence, being primarily electric guitars, shows a bit of metal influence.

And I'd more say that the early A7x was metalcore - which is, thematically, alternative fused with metal. Moreso alternative than metal, in fact. (compare the masculine nature of metal to the more effeminate metalcore, and you'll see how it's more of alternative than metal)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:41 am

Melsza

Quote:
AFI - Hardcore Revival

AFI - Plain Hardcore,

MCR - Alternative Rock

AFI - The term "revival" suggests that they're attempting to revive the sound of a previous movement. The hardcore punk movement of America (primarily in Philadelphia) had its big days between 1981 and 1986, and it was that sound that AFI's early work was trying to emulate. Their more recent work (since "Sing the Sorrow") has been pop-rock, with some powerpop.

MCR - NOT ALTERNATIVE. MCR is straight, pure pop-rock and powerpop. They're the proverbial "textbook example" of powerpop- anthemic melodies, clean instrument playing, snapping danceable drum beats, clear vocals, upbeat tempo, major key... Want alternative? Go listen to the Sonic Youth or the Smiths.

Evanescence - I was actually wrong on this one, and you're right. They're not symphonic metal, and aren't all that metal. Their base sound comes from hardrock (not metal), with symphonic elements.

A7X - No, I meant what I said, and I'll elaborate more. They're post-hardcore with some power-metal and thrash-metal influence. Their early work was pure metalcore, but in the last few years they've moved to this awkward stage they're in now.

And no, screamo is not a genre. It's a buzz word to describe similar artists of (primarily) modern post-hardcore and the occasional legitimate emotive hardcore band. Like the term "Batcave" (musically), or "Wizard Rock". Both terms desrcibe similarly sounding and themed bands of a specific genre (goth and pop-rock, respectively).

GilAskan
Crew

Melsza

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:08 pm

GilAskan
Melsza

Quote:
AFI - Hardcore Revival

AFI - Plain Hardcore,

MCR - Alternative Rock

AFI - The term "revival" suggests that they're attempting to revive the sound of a previous movement. The hardcore punk movement of America (primarily in Philadelphia) had its big days between 1981 and 1986, and it was that sound that AFI's early work was trying to emulate. Their more recent work (since "Sing the Sorrow") has been pop-rock, with some powerpop.

MCR - NOT ALTERNATIVE. MCR is straight, pure pop-rock and powerpop. They're the proverbial "textbook example" of powerpop- anthemic melodies, clean instrument playing, snapping danceable drum beats, clear vocals, upbeat tempo, major key... Want alternative? Go listen to the Sonic Youth or the Smiths.

Evanescence - I was actually wrong on this one, and you're right. They're not symphonic metal, and aren't all that metal. Their base sound comes from hardrock (not metal), with symphonic elements.

A7X - No, I meant what I said, and I'll elaborate more. They're post-hardcore with some power-metal and thrash-metal influence. Their early work was pure metalcore, but in the last few years they've moved to this awkward stage they're in now.

And no, screamo is not a genre. It's a buzz word to describe similar artists of (primarily) modern post-hardcore and the occasional legitimate emotive hardcore band. Like the term "Batcave" (musically), or "Wizard Rock". Both terms desrcibe similarly sounding and themed bands of a specific genre (goth and pop-rock, respectively).

AFI- Meh, never heard of "hardcore-revival" just call it Post-hardcore.

MCR- Most sources call them Alternative rock including wiki and AMG. Not that kerrang is worth s**t these days, but they call them alt. rock. You can hardly call them pop for most of their material.

A7X- Most dedicated hardcore fans definitly wouldn't call them hardcore, more metalcore with strong post-hardcore influences.

Screamo is a type of Post-hardcore with different musical aspects like the vocals of it.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:30 pm

Melsza
GilAskan
Melsza

Quote:
AFI - Hardcore Revival

AFI - Plain Hardcore,

MCR - Alternative Rock

AFI- Meh, never heard of "hardcore-revival" just call it Post-hardcore.

MCR- Most sources call them Alternative rock including wiki and AMG. Not that kerrang is worth s**t these days, but they call them alt. rock. You can hardly call them pop for most of their material.

A7X- Most dedicated hardcore fans definitly wouldn't call them hardcore, more metalcore with strong post-hardcore influences.

Screamo is a type of Post-hardcore with different musical aspects like the vocals of it.

AFI - I don't call it post-hardcore because it ISN'T post-hardcore. Post-punk (Joy Division) is a hell of a lot different from punk-revival (Anti-Flag).

MCR - Wikipedia isn't a source I trust because its entirely user editted. Wikipedia also long listed Fall Out Boy as emo, which is not true. And while AMG is generally right, they have a lot of wrong information. They list Aiden as goth-rock, which I know for a fact is not true. So unless you can musically prove to me that MCR is alternative rock (dissect the composition, arrangement, etc.), my proof of their being pop-rock remains valid.

And by the way...

"[MCR is] violent, dangerous pop"

~ Gerard Way, 2006

A7X - What dedicated hardcore fans call them has no affect on what they actually are.

On screamo- Citation?

GilAskan
Crew

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:53 am

I love watching people try to correct Gil.

User Image
Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces