Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
Who would/will you vote for? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:37 am
Invictus_88
...lib/dems are incompetent.

Not so much incompetant as grossely misjudged, and unfortunately hindered due to the unfair voting system. wink  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:46 pm
Erix Griffon
Nebelstern
Who else watched that Leader's Question Time debate?

Howard AND Blair got booed, and Kennedy got cheered!
This must certainly tell the electorate and the politicians alike that the slandering election campaigns of the two main parties are hindering the voting process.

I just made a fairly lengthy post about it in the politics thread.

Basically there were no surprises from Blair or Kennedy, but I was pretty disgusted by Howard. He came across as very patronising and severely out of touch.

The final question was superb. Seems the producers originally wanted to get them all up there, but Blair vetoed that format...

Michael Howard very patronising and out of touch? Surely not!

My comments on the question time leaders special:
I thought the only one to actually improve peoples' opinions of him was Charles Kennedy. He answered the questions sensibly and came across as fairly nice bloke (considering he's a politician).

Tony Blair, although to be fair every question to him was an attack, didn't handle it too well. The sweat was visibly running down his forehead and he was the only one of the three to really hesitate noticably.

Michael Howard - what a nasty little man. More than half of his anwers were direct attacks on Tony Blair and the rest were nothing to do with the questions asked. He deffinately didn't win any support on my side...  

Ph_ish

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:48 pm
MRLP!!!!  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:45 am
Nebelstern
Invictus_88

Not so much incompetant as grossely misjudged, and unfortunately hindered due to the unfair voting system. wink

You favour PR?  

Invictus_88
Captain

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:37 am
Invictus_88
Nebelstern
Invictus_88

You favour PR?

Hell yes! First past the post is outdated and fails to represent the nation's voting intention sufficiently. If we did have proportional representation like the Weimar Republic did in Germany, then voting intention here is said to be Lib Dem hands down. It is only beacuse they have no realistic chance that they fail to get in due to Labour's thumping majority etc.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:55 am
Nebelstern
Invictus_88
Nebelstern
Invictus_88

You favour PR?

Hell yes! First past the post is outdated and fails to represent the nation's voting intention sufficiently. If we did have proportional representation like the Weimar Republic did in Germany, then voting intention here is said to be Lib Dem hands down. It is only beacuse they have no realistic chance that they fail to get in due to Labour's thumping majority etc.

Wouldn't that also give minor power to the MRLP?  

and_solo_said

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:57 am
and_solo_said
Nebelstern
Invictus_88
Nebelstern
Invictus_88

You favour PR?

Only if enough people's votes counted to equate one seat... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:58 am
Nebelstern
and_solo_said
Nebelstern
Invictus_88
Nebelstern
Invictus_88

You favour PR?

Well, they probably would....And then there's the BNP to consider....And Veribloodytas  

and_solo_said

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:04 pm
and_solo_said
Nebelstern
and_solo_said
Nebelstern
Invictus_88
Nebelstern
Invictus_88

You favour PR?

Well, they probably would....And then there's the BNP to consider....And Veribloodytas

Bear in mind that they would have virtually no power though. Which is a good thing. AND the system would be fair.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:06 pm
Nebelstern
and_solo_said
Nebelstern
and_solo_said
Nebelstern
Invictus_88
Nebelstern
Invictus_88

You favour PR?

Bear in mind that they would have virtually no power though. Which is a good thing. AND the system would be fair.

Yes...But the lack of political stability and the fact that no party wielded much power was one of the reasons that the Weimar Republic collapsed  

and_solo_said

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:14 pm
We have economic stability, therefore the conditions are not right for a facsist government; on top of that we also have a stark remider of what facsism can do. The Nazis. I think people have learned sensible politics.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:18 pm
Nebelstern
We have economic stability, therefore the conditions are not right for a facsist government; on top of that we also have a stark remider of what facsism can do. The Nazis. I think people have learned sensible politics.

I beg to differ:

British National Party
Monster Raving Looney Party
Veritas
New Labour
LIBERAL DEMOCRAT

Do these words conjour the image of sensible politics to you?

and_solo_said

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:25 pm
and_solo_said
Nebelstern

I beg to differ:

British National Party
Veritas
New Labour
LIBERAL DEMOCRAT

Yes, but nobody votes for the far extremist groups. The lib dems are centre in politics, therefore they are NOT extremist, only radical in their views that are becoming more and more LESS radical.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:30 pm
Nebelstern
and_solo_said
Nebelstern

I beg to differ:

British National Party
Veritas
New Labour
LIBERAL DEMOCRAT

Yes, but nobody votes for the far extremist groups. The lib dems are centre in politics, therefore they are NOT extremist, only radical in their views that are becoming more and more LESS radical.

So you're saying that the MRLP is an example of sensible politics?  

and_solo_said

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:37 pm
and_solo_said
Nebelstern
and_solo_said
Nebelstern

I beg to differ:

British National Party
Veritas
New Labour
LIBERAL DEMOCRAT

So you're saying that the MRLP is an example of sensible politics?

I SAID people are LESS likely to vote EXTREMISTS LIKE THE MRLP. The lib dems are RADICALS, not EXTREMISTS. Thankyou.  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games