yes
  no
View Results

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:25 pm
Krypta9
Can you say commercialization? Awful.

Eh, I don't think it's that bad when a frontman/frontwoman goes commercial (hell, didn't Peter Murphy do advertisements for Betamax?).  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:10 pm
-Resurrected Writer-
Krypta9

Eh, I don't think it's that bad when a frontman/frontwoman goes commercial (hell, didn't Peter Murphy do advertisements for Betamax?).

Siouxsie did some make-up ads too.

However, I suspect Krypta's original comment was meant to mean "The goth culture has been made into a commercial property", not that she was criticizing Amy Lee for "going commercial". Or, that's what I read the comment as meaning.  

GilAskan
Crew

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:25 am
GilAskan
-Resurrected Writer-
Krypta9

Siouxsie did some make-up ads too.

However, I suspect Krypta's original comment was meant to mean "The goth culture has been made into a commercial property", not that she was criticizing Amy Lee for "going commercial". Or, that's what I read the comment as meaning.

What brand? (It's youtube-fishin' time ninja )

As for the direction of the comment, I just saw it as being more related to Amy Lee, given the thread's subject. But yeah, it could have been for what you're suggesting if it means how the media's (mistaken) belief that Evanescence is goth relates to mallgoths wanting to buy albums solely for it being (again, mistakenly) considered goth.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:36 am
does it matter if she is goth or not? as long as you like the music, it dosnt matter how they dress or what "genre" they are.....  

doom1000

2,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:10 pm
doom1000
does it matter if she is goth or not? as long as you like the music, it dosnt matter how they dress or what "genre" they are.....

As I've previously stated in the thread, how celebrities present themselves does affect things. Marilyn Manson (as is often argued) is not a goth, but he's MASSIVELY affected the goth culture by warping popular culture's view on it.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:33 pm
MortSanglant
ToxicxXxTears
mortsanglant
I don't really care. But what I hate is the people that say Nightwish copied Evanescence. That really ticks me off.
WTF? Nightwish is no where near Evanescence.

Nightwish destroys Evanescence. I've seen so many threads in other forums and there's these stupid 13 and 14 year olds going on and on about Nightwish copying them. People really need to pay attention to band formation dates, and musical composition. haha

I love ******** hate Evanescence.
I happen to be 14. Don't categorize 13 and 14 year olds as a generalization.
Just because some dumb a** teenagers get on here and can't type with an 8 year old brain capacity doesn't mean all are like that.
In conclusion, generalizations = fail.
However, actually on the topic. No, she's not goth. She's said she's not. Just because she's crying in a picture with an assload of eyeliner on, wears black clothes, and wears stockings doesn't mean anything. I'm quite sure that's why people are even saying that there's a possibility she may be goth.

Acid_Tape

Rotting Bodies

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:55 am
To be fair, I think she looks like the teeny bopper wannabe Goths in my year as opposed to real Goth. But that's just one of my many ignorable opinions wink  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:25 am
Evanescence was actually the band that got me into goth. It was only after I spent three months listening to nothing but Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, and Siouxsie and the Banshees that I realized that Evanescence is pretty much the babybat's gateway drug into goth. Amy's not necessarily a bad singer, but she's no Siouxsie.  

j3ll0_m0nk3y

High-functioning Shapeshifter

17,000 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Ghost Hunter 250

vashfly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:56 pm
Rotting Bodies
To be fair, I think she looks like the teeny bopper wannabe Goths in my year as opposed to real Goth. But that's just one of my many ignorable opinions wink
goth is a state of mind not a a fashion to be copied without being in that state of mind. If Amy is goth more power to her. As fir nightwish they have just changed the words to songs other wise its the same.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:09 pm
vashfly
Rotting Bodies
goth is a state of mind not a a fashion to be copied without being in that state of mind. If Amy is goth more power to her. As fir nightwish they have just changed the words to songs other wise its the same.

I could've sworn goth was a life style, not a state of mind. Because given what passes for goth these days if its a state of mind, that means scene kids are goths too.  

Rellik San
Crew

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:44 pm
Rellik San
vashfly
Rotting Bodies

I could've sworn goth was a life style, not a state of mind. Because given what passes for goth these days if its a state of mind, that means scene kids are goths too.

Personally, I believe that to be a goth is to be a fan of the music, as established by the scene. But then again...

GilAskan
Common Characteristics of Goths

To begin, it must first be established that there is no "exact" definition for "what a goth is".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:31 pm
-Resurrected Writer-
Rellik San
vashfly
Rotting Bodies

Personally, I believe that to be a goth is to be a fan of the music, as established by the scene. But then again...

GilAskan
Common Characteristics of Goths

To begin, it must first be established that there is no "exact" definition for "what a goth is".
Seems no one can decide. ><  

Rellik San
Crew

MrSuffer

6,650 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:01 pm
not amy lynn lee and not even evanescence is got, but I like them ;o  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:05 pm
I think she dresses goth a lot of times