Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Age of Sigmar Discussion
The Vampire Counts Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Reddemon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:12 pm
EliotJamesRookwood
Hmmmm... in the many months since I first asked for help against High Elves, no one gave any advice... oh well.

I don't know what it is, but I can only triumph over other "evil armies" when I go against "good armies" the dice Gods seem to go against me... its like a movie...
Its the classic idea. If your good, you will lose in the major things, but own in the small things  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:14 pm
You know I really should stop taking dire wolves, I just can't resist sending them on suicide runs... which led my black knights being charged by spear elves... sweatdrop  

EliotJamesRookwood

EliotJamesRookwood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:15 pm
Lethkhar
EliotJamesRookwood
Hmmmm... in the many months since I first asked for help against High Elves, no one gave any advice... oh well.

I don't know what it is, but I can only triumph over other "evil armies" when I go against "good armies" the dice Gods seem to go against me... its like a movie...

Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about Vampire Counts. I would help you if I could.

Thats ok. I'll eventually start using my common sense.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:27 pm
Alright, I'm starting back into Warhammer again, along with 40k, and I'm completely switching tactics--- I was an all ranged army in 40k switching to the Vampires, an all melee army, if I understand correctly. Any suggestions? I can adapt fairly well on my own, but all the knowlege I really have right now is that there are five kinds of vampires, and that Blood Dragons are SCARY. (I don't have enough money for the book quite yet)

I'm thinking of having more skeletons than ghouls or zombies, and more bats and dire wolves than skeletons. I took a look at the banshee and like her, and a look at the Black Coach, like that, but that's about it. And that the black coach tends to steal away health.

Any suggestions and/or info you'd like to give me?  

DragonMareShadowDancer

EliotJamesRookwood

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:23 pm
Well, if you want to have damn fast vampires, you can have a von carstein who moves the same speed as a wolf, or a strigoi who can fly. Depends on how you want to play. If you want to be tactical and have a good general who is very flexible play Von Carstein, they can be made to be good spellcasters and/or good fighters. With them you can make your generalship extend to 18' and do a lot of things which will benefit your army as a whole. If your looking for magic, go to Necrachs or a Necromancer list, though Necrach's are much more tough. They have -2 to WS, but they have bonuses to casting spells, and a lot of their bloodline abilities allow you to increase your magic capabilities. Lahmians are the physchology bloodline of the group, and can be used nicely in conjunction with Death Magic. Namely Doom and Darkness. Lahmians suffer -1 Ws, but have nasty bloodline abilities that allow you to mess around with other people's characters, if your lucky even have them attack their own troops. Blood Dragons are the best fighters of the group. They have + 2 to WS, they can cast spells while wearing armour(once less power dice generated then level indicates) and are the toughest fighters in the game. Strigoi are the newest addition to VC, and they cannot have any equipment, must always be on foot. They get automatic ward save, extra attack, and hate everything. Their bloodline abilities are decent can be used to increase its killy effectiveness. These vampires are made for killing units, not characters.

Ok, now for magic. The list may seem like its limited, only death and necromancy, but necromancy is a very nasty lore, only available to VC players. The first spell is by far the best, it can be used in three different ways, and on three different casting values, meaning your weak lvl.1 Necromancer can still cast the spell with ease. The spell can be used to add to the unit, or create a new unit, or heal wounds on a model. The second spell is a one-hit kill, against everything. Even dragons. The catch is you have to hit them, if you miss your dead, but if its a necromancer against a dragon, that was bound to happen anyways. The third spell allows your undead units to strike first in combat, an excellent boost that will surprise your opponent and give you an edge. The fourth spell is a standard good magic missle(24' Range, 2d6 S 4 hits) The fifth is a really nasty spell if used correctly in combination with the first. The fifth allows undead units to move up 8' in any direction. This means you can create a new unit of skeletons or zombies, and charge them the same turn! The last spell is hard to cast, but used on large blocks of infantry it is quite devasting. Everything takes a wound on a 6+, with no armour saves, and it gets easier and easier to wound up to a max of 2+, every magic phase.(Remains in play spell)

Now thats a simple rundown of the vampires. For the rest of the army, lets start with core. Skeletons are crappy, flatout they will be destroyed by even basic troops. However the advantage they have is that they cause fear, and you never have to worry about them running. Another good plus about them is you can add more to the unit without increasing the victory points of the unit. For instance you could start with 10 skeletons, and using "Invocation of Nehek" could raise that unit to double its starting amount depending on which amount you cast the spell.

Dire wolves are good for flanking or rear charges, being fast calvary, but archers will tear them apart. Zombies are the worst combatants in the game, they have no armour, always strike last, and have no real power in combat. However they are cheap and cause fear, so can be used to exhaust your opponents expensive units tying them up for a couple of rounds.

Ghouls are your only living unit in the army, and are a nice missle screen being skirmishers, and are good at fighting other skirmishers.

Don't know much about BatSwarms... they are also alive, they can fly 10' have a crapload of wounds and attacks each, but very weak and not tough at all, don't use them myself.

Thats it for core... if you want some more info on special and rare, just pm me or ask for it.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:00 pm
You forget that Lahamnis can have a hero from anybody elses book. So if you want something nasty to replace a Blood dragon, take a Orge brusier with Cathya longsowrd 3nodding  

Reddemon

EliotJamesRookwood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:20 pm
I didn't forget that, its just not a legal army, if your opponent wants to be an asshat. blaugh  
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:40 am
EliotJamesRookwood

For me whatever if I play in 40k, with my high elves or my pirates zombies, dice seems to hate me and I never have good rollings...  

Scander1005

menoftanith

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:57 pm
i help out at a local scout group and have been asked to help teach some of the kids who have justed started playing fantasy by organising a game and some painting leasons, as ive never made a list desinged to teach people rather than for fun/winning im, looking for some advice on my list ive written its 2000pts and as far as im aware its all against lizzard men

strogi count with bat form and infernal hatraed
strogi thrall with iron sinews and infernal hatread
necromancer lvl2 barbed stead and 2 dispel scrolls
necromancer lvl2 with stick that cast hellish vigour

20 zombies full command
20 zombies full command
20 skelletons full command
5 dire wolves with doom wolf

25 grave gaurd full command banner of the barrows

banshee
DoW giant

i know storgi are supposed to have ghouls but i personaly dont like them and i dont normally play a strogi list eitherso dont own any, as for justifications of what i have taken

the count is for taking down skirmishers of skinks or salies that have low armour (if any)
the thrall will join the skellies to boost them up a bit and give me more than one combat block
the necromacer on horse gets a save and can hide very easily by not being on foot
the other necromancer will go in one block of zombies with the other close enough to be affected by his staff
zombies dont need justifying i personally belive no undead army should be without them for the coolness of what they are
grave gaurd are there as i only want one unit of wights and these have more staying power than black nights
DoW giants is there as i know people wouldnt expect it and i need to teach these kids about huge thngs and how to deal with them
banshee is there as its very unique, i love the thing and never play without one, im also very tempted to scream at the steagadon if they take one as they are on LD5

after saying that though i am open to suggestions the only exceptions are the giant, banshee and at lest one unit of zombies, and rember this list is to teach not to win  
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:22 pm
I just want to know why a list meant to teach, can't also be meant to win? Why not teach them how to win..? I mean, that's what I would do.

Going along that route, I would drop one unit of zombies all together, add in a large unit of ghouls, bring the remaining zombies down to minimum unit size, add in some Black Knights, maybe a Black Coach. Ditch the giant, as you can more easily teach people how to beat a big thing by beating the Stegadon, which is one helluva big thing as it is. I'd probably drop one of the units of dire wolves, and lower a unit of skellies if you're tight on points.

My reasoning for all this, Invocation of Nehek. Taking bare minimum unit sizes is nice because that precious spell can swell the ranks without swelling victory points, freaking fantabulous. Especially considering how easy it is to raise up units of zombies.

Daicon

XY~My~Dying~Bride~YX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:02 pm
New to warhammer so i have a quick question can you have a vampire thrall that's a different bloodline from your vampire lord ? Oh and not really a vmpire counts question but whats he armour save for barding ( i'm getting the warhammer rulebook soon as i have the money for it )
Edit: And in that case whats the armour save for light armour  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:16 am
XY~My~Dying~Bride~YX
New to warhammer so i have a quick question can you have a vampire thrall that's a different bloodline from your vampire lord ? Oh and not really a vmpire counts question but whats he armour save for barding ( i'm getting the warhammer rulebook soon as i have the money for it )

If they only have light armor, it's a 6+ armor save. If they're mounted and have light armor, it's a 5+ armor save. If they're mounted, have light armor and a shield, then it's a 4+. All of the above but with heavy armor instead of light armor, 3+ etc.  

Lethkhar

EliotJamesRookwood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:33 pm
XY~My~Dying~Bride~YX

No, all vampires must be of the same bloodline, or else you could make a pretty crazy army. I mean granted I would like to have random vampire thralls, but if you look at it in the warhammer world, all vampires dislike one another, so the chances of a Strigoi Thrall working under a Blood Dragon Count are slim, as the Strigoi would try to escape, and the Blood Dragon would have challenged it to combat, as it is not one of his blood brothers. And for barding, its an additional 2 Armour save and -1 movement. So if you have a Blood Dragon Vampire Lord with full plate armour, on a barded nightmare, and he also has a shield and a lance, he has a 1+ armour save. (4 + Full Plate, 2+ with barded nightmare, 1+ with shield) Simply being mounted on something gives you a 6+ armour save. Crappy, but you don't suffer movement penalties.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:43 pm
menoftanith
i help out at a local scout group and have been asked to help teach some of the kids who have justed started playing fantasy by organising a game and some painting leasons, as ive never made a list desinged to teach people rather than for fun/winning im, looking for some advice on my list ive written its 2000pts and as far as im aware its all against lizzard men

strogi count with bat form and infernal hatraed
strogi thrall with iron sinews and infernal hatread
necromancer lvl2 barbed stead and 2 dispel scrolls
necromancer lvl2 with stick that cast hellish vigour

20 zombies full command
20 zombies full command
20 skelletons full command

25 grave gaurd full command banner of the barrows

banshee
DoW giant

i know storgi are supposed to have ghouls but i personaly dont like them and i dont normally play a strogi list eitherso dont own any, as for justifications of what i have taken

the count is for taking down skirmishers of skinks or salies that have low armour (if any)
the thrall will join the skellies to boost them up a bit and give me more than one combat block
the necromacer on horse gets a save and can hide very easily by not being on foot
the other necromancer will go in one block of zombies with the other close enough to be affected by his staff
zombies dont need justifying i personally belive no undead army should be without them for the coolness of what they are
grave gaurd are there as i only want one unit of wights and these have more staying power than black nights
DoW giants is there as i know people wouldnt expect it and i need to teach these kids about huge thngs and how to deal with them
banshee is there as its very unique, i love the thing and never play without one, im also very tempted to scream at the steagadon if they take one as they are on LD5

after saying that though i am open to suggestions the only exceptions are the giant, banshee and at lest one unit of zombies, and rember this list is to teach not to win

Um I would lose all zombies, but as Daicon said just have one with 10 zombies, you can summon those bad boys easily enough, and you can spend points on stuff you can't raise. You also have 25pts more to spend on your Strigoi Count, I suggest giving him Iron Sinews as well, and if you total it up, you've spent 95pts, but your Strigoi Count now has S 6, 6 Attacks that are re-rollable, and can fly. Or alternatively you could go my personal favourite way. Curse of the Revenent and Bat Form, taking all your points, and making your Strigoi fly and regnerate. If you plan to go against lizardmen, you need something a little harder to hurt the saurus, I'd suggest finding a place for Black Knights, if they can get a flank, they are devasting. The Banner of Barrows would serve them better, more than making up for their crappy WS. You can still keep the graveguard if you wish, I'd arm them with halberds, as strength 5 is a good benefit, especially in conjuction with hellish vigour, though against lizardmen graveguard probably have higher iniative.  

EliotJamesRookwood

Micks 109

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:50 pm
Hi i am kind of new to warhammer, i have played about 3 game so far with my counts or as i call it "Sir Von Kassers Hord" i find it a fun army to play with.

i would just like to point out that the appenix lists in the back of the book are not leagl army lists as there are not balanced like the main list is, and you also need to get your opponents agreement if you can use one of these lists or not, they are also ment to be fun to play with.
i through i would just make this point as no one else apart from other person has mention this.  
Age of Sigmar Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff