Reply Age of Sigmar Discussion
The Wood Elves Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

][ Typo Demon ][

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:05 am
im thinking of making a tree spirit wood elf army, the modles are absolutly beutiful and i woudl enjoy it alot. i currently play 40k tau...ive heard that wood elfveds are the hardest to use...but the same went for tau and im king.. razz  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:57 am
Tree spirits are all close range, I believe. It will be very different from Tau or a normal Wood Elf army. It could be devastating, because they cause fear...  

Lethkhar

Just_Shin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:23 am
I've decided to base my wood elf army around the Wardancers... cause... they rock hardcore!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:05 pm
Wardancers are freakin awesome. If I were a Wood Elf player, I wouldn't base my army around them, though. They die kind of easily (Of course, this is no different from any other elf).

Of course, they do kick some serious a**.  

Lethkhar

Daicon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:44 pm
Lethkhar
Wardancers are freakin awesome. If I were a Wood Elf player, I wouldn't base my army around them, though. They die kind of easily (Of course, this is no different from any other elf).

Wardancers do indeed kick serious a**. A unit of them, harbouring a Wardancer Lord was able to take down my poor Saurus Old-Blood mounted on a Carnosaur... crying Nasty killing blow dance.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:30 am
Daicon
Lethkhar

Wardancers do indeed kick serious a**. A unit of them, harbouring a Wardancer Lord was able to take down my poor Saurus Old-Blood mounted on a Carnosaur... crying Nasty killing blow dance.

There there, we shall avenge him and his Carnosaur next time. My dwarf lord shall have a grudge rune on his hammer just to emphasize this.  

EliotJamesRookwood

bleedingxxstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:40 am
The woodelves are so awesome! The treemen certainly rule! I have only really just started collecting them anyway...  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:12 pm
Revised list:

Lord Choice:
Spellweaver
Level 4
Calaingor’s Stave
Moonstone of the Hidden Ways
Glamourweave
Great Eagle

Tree Singing
Rain Lord
Ariel’s Blessing
Bear’s Anger

Hero Choices:
Wood Elf Noble
Battle Standard Bearer
Saemrath-Banner of Zenith
Elven Steed
Light Armor

Wood Elf Noble
Great Eagle
Annoyance of Nettlings
Sword of 1000 Winters
Light Armor

Core Units:
Unit 20 Glade Guards w/
Lord’s Longbowman

Unit 20 Glade Guards w/
Lord’s Longbowman

8 Glade Riders

Special Units:
20 Eternal Guard w/ Gaemrath-The Banner of Midwinter

10 Wild Riders
w/ Saoghir-Banner of Dwindling and a Wild Hunter

5 Wardancers

Total: 1999  

Lethkhar

Daicon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:04 am
I'm pretty sure typing the points costs of the individual items like that is illegal. Best to remove them, lest we all feel the wrath of GW.

Can't help much... I've only played against Wood Elves once, and they used a list drastically different than that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:38 pm
Daicon
I'm pretty sure typing the points costs of the individual items like that is illegal. Best to remove them, lest we all feel the wrath of GW.

Can't help much... I've only played against Wood Elves once, and they used a list drastically different than that.

Fine, just take my word for it that it adds up to 2002 points.  

Lethkhar

Drachyench

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:12 pm
Lethkhar
This is a 2000-point army list that my friend is making. It's meant to fight against a shooty Empire Army.

Lord Choice:
Spellweaver
Level 4
Calaingor’s Stave
Glamourweave
Great Eagle

Tree Singing
Rain Lord
Ariel’s Blessing
Bear’s Anger

Total:

If I'm not mistaken, Elves cannot chose their spells for the most part...

Lethkhar

Hero Choices:
Wood Elf Noble
Battle Standard Bearer
Elven Steed

Total:

In new rules, Battlestandards will be a little better, good choice taking one.

Lethkhar
Wood Elf Noble
Great Eagle
Annoyance of Nettlings
Sword of 1000 Winters

Total:

6's to hit in challenges, and +2 Strength, if I'm not mistaken? Sounds like a decent Empire or lower character hunter, or a decent unit killer if placed in a unit.

Lethkhar
Rare Units:
Treeman

Always good with their Treesinging, and decent combat skills. Plus their saves are good too.

Lethkhar
Core Units:
Unit 12 Glade Guards w/
Lord’s Longbowman

This unit wouldn't do much, if I'm not mistaken. 12 Shots, mostly at long range, mean 6 will hit, and only 3 will wound. Basic Empire save is 5+, so only 2 casualties. Decent, but they won't be causing any panic checks any time soon.

Lethkhar
Unit 12 Glade Guards w/
Lord’s Longbowman

Ditto

Lethkhar
8 Glade Riders

In new rules, they no longer have rank bonus, and they're only good for flank charges. Adding 2 to 7 more will give you some shooting durability and another rank or 2.

Lethkhar
10 Eternal Guard

10 Models on foot, I believe. If they're calvary, good unit. If not, they won't do much, if anything. Ground units need to be 20 strong, at least, before they can be relied on doing anything other then giving the enemies easy VP. If it's calvary, what did you buy for them?

Lethkhar
5 Wardancers

5 Wardancers is a little vulnerable. Empire, even with the -1 to hit for skirmisher, will need 5's, and 3's to kill. since they'll most likely get off one salve, 10 shooters equals around 3 hits, and 2 wounds. That's a panic check right there. a Mortar could kill them all in one shot. I'd advise at least 8 of them.

Lethkhar
5 Wardancers

Ditto.

Lethkhar
10 Wild Riders
w/ Saoghir-Banner of Dwindling

Total: 2002

Sounds decent enough, info on the banner though? Remember, you'll be relying on them to rout the enemy in one turn. In new rules, winning units can turn to face the enemy, ruining flank bonus' if they somehow win.

Lethkhar
The idea is to get behind enemy lines and use Rain Lord to take out the cannons and such. Then he plans on flying back to tree-sing his units around.

Random spell generation, unless you have a specific item. You can also choose from only 1 lore.

Lethkhar
The Glade Riders (With the noble w/ banner) are supposed to go around behind enemy lines and reak ahvoc on his battle lines by making some men able to march and others not, significant breaking and slowing his army.

Better hope that works right away with a 4-wide front (Or 5). 6/7 S4 attacks won't be a game winner (4/5 hits, 2/4 hits). If not, you'll be in trouble.

Lethkhar
The other hero is an anti-hero, meant to take out any annoying heros he might experience.

Careful, you don't necessarily need to challenge to fight your lord. Plus, since the empire hero will likely be in a unit, you'll have the problem of at least a 3-to-0(Standard, Rank, Outnumber) combat res favor against you at the start. Three attacks base means you won't win unless you charge with a unit. Even then, if it's an on-foot unit, you'd need a flank charge to win.

Lethkhar
The Eternal Guard are to hit face-to-face any unit that advances too quickly, while 5 of the wardancers flank that unit.

On foot or Calvary? It matters. A lot.

Lethkhar
The Wild Riders are his hard-hitters that are supposed to draw gunfire from his spellweaver, though that unit is pretty hard to ignore. They are a devastating units that should crush most units with little to no opposition. (Unless there's a hero, in which case he has an anti-hero for such an occasion).

10 Riders? How many attacks each? Even 10 each isn't that much against a standard Empire infantry formation (25 Spearmen with a spare rank, full command, and a Priest/Hero). 12 attacks at WS and S4 equal 8 hits, around 6 wounds, and 4 wounds on the charge. Horses then add another 5 attacks, 3 hits, and 2 wounds, of which another dies. 5 casualties. That puts combat res so far at 7(5 Wounds, Standard, Rank)-4(3 Ranks, Standard). 6 Attacks back (5 If there's a hero) needing 4's to hit equal 3 hits, 1 wound at least, and odds are you'll fail the save. That's a 7-to-6 already, so odds are the unit won't run, and that's excluding Hero units. Plus, it's assuming none of the Empire stuffs damages your riders. The loss of even 1 equals the Empire having the 5-base combat res vs a 6 up combat res for the Riders, now. Odds are, you'll lose the combat. Either turn them into flank charges, support chargers, or add a hero in.

My 5 cents.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:32 am
Quote:
Drachyench_The_Eternal
Lethkhar
This is a 2000-point army list that my friend is making. It's meant to fight against a shooty Empire Army.

Lord Choice:
Spellweaver
Level 4
Calaingor’s Stave
Glamourweave
Great Eagle

Tree Singing
Rain Lord
Ariel’s Blessing
Bear’s Anger

Total:

If I'm not mistaken, Elves cannot chose their spells for the most part...

Meh, that's a "If they let me..." thing. Sometimes, with both players' consent, you can choose spells.

Quote:
Lethkhar

Hero Choices:
Wood Elf Noble
Battle Standard Bearer
Elven Steed

Total:

In new rules, Battlestandards will be a little better, good choice taking one.

Yuppers. 3nodding
Quote:
Lethkhar
Wood Elf Noble
Great Eagle
Annoyance of Nettlings
Sword of 1000 Winters

Total:

6's to hit in challenges, and +2 Strength, if I'm not mistaken? Sounds like a decent Empire or lower character hunter, or a decent unit killer if placed in a unit.

Classic Anti-Hero. Annoyance of Nettlings is wonderful in this situation.

Quote:
Lethkhar
Rare Units:
Treeman

Always good with their Treesinging, and decent combat skills. Plus their saves are good too.

Thanks.

Quote:
Lethkhar
Core Units:
Unit 12 Glade Guards w/
Lord’s Longbowman

This unit wouldn't do much, if I'm not mistaken. 12 Shots, mostly at long range, mean 6 will hit, and only 3 will wound. Basic Empire save is 5+, so only 2 casualties. Decent, but they won't be causing any panic checks any time soon.

Lethkhar
Unit 12 Glade Guards w/
Lord’s Longbowman

Ditto

I told him he needed more archers. But he doesn't have any more glade guard models. sad

Quote:
Lethkhar
8 Glade Riders

In new rules, they no longer have rank bonus, and they're only good for flank charges. Adding 2 to 7 more will give you some shooting durability and another rank or 2.

Their purpose is to be with the battle standard, go around behind the opposing army, and slow a section of his battle line.

Quote:
Lethkhar
10 Eternal Guard

10 Models on foot, I believe. If they're calvary, good unit. If not, they won't do much, if anything. Ground units need to be 20 strong, at least, before they can be relied on doing anything other then giving the enemies easy VP. If it's calvary, what did you buy for them?

Ever faced Eternal Guard? They're better than Chaos Warriors for less points.

Quote:
Lethkhar
5 Wardancers

5 Wardancers is a little vulnerable. Empire, even with the -1 to hit for skirmisher, will need 5's, and 3's to kill. since they'll most likely get off one salve, 10 shooters equals around 3 hits, and 2 wounds. That's a panic check right there. a Mortar could kill them all in one shot. I'd advise at least 8 of them.

Lethkhar
5 Wardancers

Ditto.

Perhaps combine the units?

Lethkhar
10 Wild Riders
w/ Saoghir-Banner of Dwindling

Total: 2002

Sounds decent enough, info on the banner though? Remember, you'll be relying on them to rout the enemy in one turn. In new rules, winning units can turn to face the enemy, ruining flank bonus' if they somehow win.

Lethkhar
The idea is to get behind enemy lines and use Rain Lord to take out the cannons and such. Then he plans on flying back to tree-sing his units around.

Random spell generation, unless you have a specific item. You can also choose from only 1 lore.

Lethkhar
The Glade Riders (With the noble w/ banner) are supposed to go around behind enemy lines and reak ahvoc on his battle lines by making some men able to march and others not, significant breaking and slowing his army.

Better hope that works right away with a 4-wide front (Or 5). 6/7 S4 attacks won't be a game winner (4/5 hits, 2/4 hits). If not, you'll be in trouble.

Lethkhar
The other hero is an anti-hero, meant to take out any annoying heros he might experience.

Careful, you don't necessarily need to challenge to fight your lord. Plus, since the empire hero will likely be in a unit, you'll have the problem of at least a 3-to-0(Standard, Rank, Outnumber) combat res favor against you at the start. Three attacks base means you won't win unless you charge with a unit. Even then, if it's an on-foot unit, you'd need a flank charge to win.

Lethkhar
The Eternal Guard are to hit face-to-face any unit that advances too quickly, while 5 of the wardancers flank that unit.

On foot or Calvary? It matters. A lot.

Quote:
Lethkhar
The Wild Riders are his hard-hitters that are supposed to draw gunfire from his spellweaver, though that unit is pretty hard to ignore. They are a devastating units that should crush most units with little to no opposition. (Unless there's a hero, in which case he has an anti-hero for such an occasion).

10 Riders? How many attacks each? Even 10 each isn't that much against a standard Empire infantry formation (25 Spearmen with a spare rank, full command, and a Priest/Hero). 12 attacks at WS and S4 equal 8 hits, around 6 wounds, and 4 wounds on the charge. Horses then add another 5 attacks, 3 hits, and 2 wounds, of which another dies. 5 casualties. That puts combat res so far at 7(5 Wounds, Standard, Rank)-4(3 Ranks, Standard). 6 Attacks back (5 If there's a hero) needing 4's to hit equal 3 hits, 1 wound at least, and odds are you'll fail the save. That's a 7-to-6 already, so odds are the unit won't run, and that's excluding Hero units. Plus, it's assuming none of the Empire stuffs damages your riders. The loss of even 1 equals the Empire having the 5-base combat res vs a 6 up combat res for the Riders, now. Odds are, you'll lose the combat. Either turn them into flank charges, support chargers, or add a hero in.

My 5 cents.

*snorts* Spearmen...The Empire player won't be using any of those, trust me. They have a really bad name in my gaming group. And by "bad name", I mean "waste of points".

He tends to use swordsmen more often.

After facing a different Wood Elf player and losing, I think I know what his army needs. It's the cavalry that's really devastating. He needs warhawks and waywatchers for those damn artillery, or else he'll just be torn to shreds.

The Wood Elves' strength is their mobility...I'll talk to him about it. Thanks for all your help. biggrin  

Lethkhar

Drachyench

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:05 pm
Lethkar, 10 of ANY rank and file on foot unit is never enough, unless it's ogres. They will always be at a 2-to-5 loss to begin with if facing another rank-and-file unit. You should have at least 15, preferably 20. That will give you a decent unit.

10 Models can be panicked in 3 casualties, lose their rank bonus after 2 (1 in new rules) casualties, and even with their special rules, 16 attacks won't win it. 16 attacks translates to about 11 to 10 hits. 5-to-6 wounds. With their 4+ Save on their Swordsmen, only 2-to-3 wounds caused. Assuming you entered without any casualties and did best case scenario, you still tied. 15 Models would at least give a second rank, and give the need for 4 casualties to panic, or 8 to give you no rank bonus'.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:43 pm
Drachyench_The_Eternal
Lethkar, 10 of ANY rank and file on foot unit is never enough, unless it's ogres. They will always be at a 2-to-5 loss to begin with if facing another rank-and-file unit. You should have at least 15, preferably 20. That will give you a decent unit.

10 Models can be panicked in 3 casualties, lose their rank bonus after 2 (1 in new rules) casualties, and even with their special rules, 16 attacks won't win it. 16 attacks translates to about 11 to 10 hits. 5-to-6 wounds. With their 4+ Save on their Swordsmen, only 2-to-3 wounds caused. Assuming you entered without any casualties and did best case scenario, you still tied. 15 Models would at least give a second rank, and give the need for 4 casualties to panic, or 8 to give you no rank bonus'.

Where'd you get a 4+ armor save?

Light armor and a shield is a 5+.

It's not my fault eternal guard cost 50 bucks or whatever. 10's always enough for me, but I don't play Wood Elves. My guys are much more durable than Wood Elves.

As I said, I have pretty much no clue how Wood Elves work.  

Lethkhar

Drachyench

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:45 pm
Lethkhar
Drachyench_The_Eternal

Where'd you get a 4+ armor save?

Light armor and a shield is a 5+.

It's not my fault eternal guard cost 50 bucks or whatever. 10's always enough for me, but I don't play Wood Elves. My guys are much more durable than Wood Elves.

As I said, I have pretty much no clue how Wood Elves work.

Swordsmen have Lightarmor, Shield, and Hand Weapon. That = 4+ CC save.

Black Orcs are the same, I believe. $45 each box, at least, maybe $50.  
Age of Sigmar Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff