The High Elves Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Drachyench

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:55 am
Lethkhar
I saw a High Elves vs. Ogre Kingdoms battle the other day.

When I came in, the High Elves looked pretty much screwed. But apparently the guy had invested a ton of points in a unit of Silver Helms which got +D6 to combat resolution due to a banner. The High Elves ended up winning by a combination of magic and the unit of Silver Helms. The high elf archers tied up a unit of Yeti in combat for 4 turns! xd

Made me want to start collecting High Elves...

D6?!? I thought the Banner was D3? D6 combat Res is a little crazy, as it means you could just have a single Banner Wielder charge into a combat, cause no wounds, nor an enemy unit with 3 ranks and a standard causing any, and win.

4 turns? Player Turns or Game turns? Either way, something tells me the Ogre was rolling Horribly, considering he'd get on average 3 wounds a turn, assuming only 3 Yeti's in the unit. That alone should break an Archer unit with 1 rank only real quick. Was it a case of good tests on the elfs side, or just crummy Yeti rolling?

You should also know this difference between Warhammer Elfs and Chaos: Elves are much, MUCH more fragile. T3 on everything (Including Lords and Heros), S3 on almost everything, Most infantry has only a 5+ save, etc. Simple Handguns need 3's to kill most basic elf infantry, and Calvary still only get a 4+ save. But if you want magic, Elfs can be quite good there.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:39 pm
Yes the Battle banner adds +D6 to Combat Resolution in CC.

However.. it is worth 80 points.

You are not allowed to take anything over 50 on a usual standard bearer into battle.

Somebody cocked up or did it intentionally.

Silver helms cannot even carry a magical standard!! D:

The only thing that could take the Battle Banner is a Lord. Prince or Archmage.  

Andreis

Reddemon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:46 pm
Andreis

You are not allowed to take anything over 50 on a usual standard bearer into battle.

My money is on the Standard bearer.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:49 am
Reddemon
Andreis

What?

There is no standard bearer in the high elf army that can take a standard worth more than 50 points.
Look at the

Andreis

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:57 pm
Andreis
Reddemon
Andreis

What?

There is no standard bearer in the high elf army that can take a standard worth more than 50 points.
Look at the

Like I said, he invested a bunch of points into the unit, including a lord... confused

What's your problem?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:08 pm
1) Only Hero-Level Characters can carry the Armies Standard
2) No Limit on Magic Standard for Army Battle Standard Bearer, though if it is magical (As in your battle standard isn't mundane), you cannot take any other Magical Items on the Standard user.
3) He was throwing all his eggs into one VERY large basket then. At least 8 Silver Helms, plus a Lord and a Hero is at least 400pts. One fifth his army in one unit, at the least. Most likely, since Hero's are around 80pts (160 with the Standard, 170? with the mount), Lords are around 100 Base (And most people tool lords with 100pts of Magic stuff, plus the mount, coming to 210 pts), and 8 Silver Helms are 20 pts each, I believe, making 160 points without command. That's actually 540pts, a little more then 1 quarter his army there.  

Drachyench

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:56 pm
Drachyench_The_Eternal
2) No Limit on Magic Standard for Army Battle Standard Bearer, though if it is magical (As in your battle standard isn't mundane), you cannot take any other Magical Items on the Standard user.
3) He was throwing all his eggs into one VERY large basket then. At least 8 Silver Helms, plus a Lord and a Hero is at least 400pts. One fifth his army in one unit, at the least. Most likely, since Hero's are around 80pts (160 with the Standard, 170? with the mount), Lords are around 100 Base (And most people tool lords with 100pts of Magic stuff, plus the mount, coming to 210 pts), and 8 Silver Helms are 20 pts each, I believe, making 160 points without command. That's actually 540pts, a little more then 1 quarter his army there.

Besides that, he had a couple of mages, two repeater bolt throwers, one or two units of spearmen (Can't remember), and a unit of archers.

Yep, that was it.

As I said, he invested a lot in that unit. I didn't say it was a good thing to do (Though he did win because of it), I just said he did it.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:15 am
Lethkhar
Drachyench_The_Eternal

Besides that, he had a couple of mages, two repeater bolt throwers, one or two units of spearmen (Can't remember), and a unit of archers.

Yep, that was it.

As I said, he invested a lot in that unit. I didn't say it was a good thing to do (Though he did win because of it), I just said he did it.

I'd just like to see how he'd do against an army like undead with that. Probably, not so well.

Still, as you said earlier, the High Elves are good if they're used right. high Elves are like Bretonians, mostly. They strive to make the 'hit-and-break' actions, as they are horrid in wars of attrition.  

Drachyench

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:34 am
Drachyench_The_Eternal
Lethkhar
Drachyench_The_Eternal

Yep, that was it.

I'd just like to see how he'd do against an army like undead with that. Probably, not so well.

Well, I'd assume he'd use a different army against the undead. This is against a completely magicless ogre army. His mages served him well.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:14 am
My mistake, I was joking anyhow. Simply that at first I was like... wait... Is Reddemon like calling me a liar?
Then afterwards I realized he meant the standard bearer rule for the game as a whole which I knew little about.... D:
So I have no problem really.
Just being my loud self.

^_^

EDIT: What was the points involved in the game? 2,000?  

Andreis

Drachyench

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:02 pm
Andreis

If you're fighting 2K Points of High Elves, and neither 3+ Dispel dice and/or at least 1 unit with magic resistance, you should shoot yourself in the foot.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:34 pm
Drachyench_The_Eternal
Andreis

If you're fighting 2K Points of High Elves, and neither 3+ Dispel dice and/or at least 1 unit with magic resistance, you should shoot yourself in the foot.

LMFAO!!

Well if he had a Lord for positive, than it had to be at least 2,000 points. I dunno how that holds with other armies, but the high elf force organization says you can only have a lord at 2,000 point games or higher. Until 3,000 points where in he MULTIPLIES! biggrin  

Andreis

Reddemon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:19 pm
Andreis
Drachyench_The_Eternal
Andreis

LMFAO!!

Well if he had a Lord for positive, than it had to be at least 2,000 points. I dunno how that holds with other armies, but the high elf force organization says you can only have a lord at 2,000 point games or higher. Until 3,000 points where in he MULTIPLIES! biggrin
Thats most armies  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:10 pm
Real quick note, One units of silverhelms, spearmen, or archers may take a magic standard of up to 25 points. Obviously, it's not enough to take the Battle Banner, but I thought it should be made known, as a few people were arguing that they could not take banners at all.

(The best use for the "First Among Equals", as the rule is called in the book, would be to give the Silverhelms the banner of Ellyrion, so they can parade around through forests and such without penalty. Just another thought.)  

GTJoeTheNecrons

Andreis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:33 pm
GTJoeTheNecrons
Real quick note, One units of silverhelms, spearmen, or archers may take a magic standard of up to 25 points. Obviously, it's not enough to take the Battle Banner, but I thought it should be made known, as a few people were arguing that they could not take banners at all.

(The best use for the "First Among Equals", as the rule is called in the book, would be to give the Silverhelms the banner of Ellyrion, so they can parade around through forests and such without penalty. Just another thought.)

So what can any unit with a standar bearer carry a magical standard up to 25 points in value?  
Age of Sigmar Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff