Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Different Types of Vegetarianism! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Max Glycine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:17 am
RebelRockerRanger
i guess you could say im a lacto vegetarian with a minor ovo added to it. ill eat eggs, but in very small moderation. the way i look at it is if chickens are raised for their eggs then if we eat a too low amount of eggs then theyll start killing off the chickens for meat. but also those eggs could be raised and given life if they had the time to be fertilized. but other than that i see no difference with eating eggs than with eating and drinking milk products. cows are raised for their milk, chickens are raised for their eggs.

Hey Rebel, fancy meeting you here... I actually had something to tell you, so this is handy...
I was reading Erik Marcus' "Vegan: The New Ethics Of Eating", and he has a section on a place called "Farm Sanctuary", which is a vegan-run farm that doesn't slaughter the animals, or use any of their by-products for human consumption. I immediately thought of you and your don't-wanna-be-vegan-cuz-I-Don't-want-the-cows-to-die. Being vegan doesn't mean you're wiping out species, see?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:26 am
Now, saying that semi/half/whatever aren't true vegetarians, I completely agree with that. But freegans... While I'm vegan myself and will most likely remain vegan, I can understand the thought process behind freegans... and agree with it;
1. The animal's suffering is done, it can't be erased by throwing the product out.
2. If I (meaning the freegan) eat this product, the effect is the same as if the person just threw it out.
3. The person who bought the product is the one supporting the industry, by paying for it, whether or not they eat it.  

Max Glycine

_-iamoftheuniverse-_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:12 pm
I'm must be a lacto-vegetarian.I don't eat any meat, or eggs, but I do use dairy products from time to time, even though I still drink soy milk.If any of you are afraid to drink soy milk, I promise it's very good, it may some take time to get used to the taste, but in cereal, you can't even tell it's soy milk. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:47 am
I'm "Ovo Lacto". See, consuming eggs and dairy is not harmful to an animal. I've been on a farm now and then. However, the factory farming industry where we get most of our fine dairy and egg products DOES hurt them.

Normally, I would stop eating their products out of protest, but I know that there is no way to not support them financially because it's these farming groups where we get the carrots me and my rabbits split, where we get just about everything from the grocery store, so it is impossible to stop financially supporting them.

I never buy any eggs and dairy, but I will eat eggs and dairy. I will buy free range.  

Newski

Wings Akimbo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:31 am
I'd like to try being vegetarian freegan for a week. I'd like to see how much food gets saved from being thrown away.

Newski

Normally, I would stop eating their products out of protest, but I know that there is no way to not support them financially because it's these farming groups where we get the carrots me and my rabbits split, where we get just about everything from the grocery store, so it is impossible to stop financially supporting them.

There is a way. I bug my parents (in the seasons things grow) to buy our fruits and veggies from a local farm.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:21 am
I am a pesco-vegetarian.
I cannot eat land meats.. they make me physically ill.
I DO, however, consume fish and seafood.
I am lactose intolerant, so I cannot consume dairy, either.
8th Generation makes a good soy milk though.
I consume the occasional egg.. but usually as a product in food-not by itself.
I tried veganism, and almost succeeded.. but I cannot afford it now.

keltycphoenyx

Beloved Explorer

8,975 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Hygienic 200

TREEhuggerr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:07 pm
I'm lacto-ovo. I eat eggs and whatnot, though once I can actually provide for myself, I'm only going to eat free-range organic eggs.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:27 pm
    Lacto-vegetarian, but I also don't eat rajasic foods (onion, garlic, mushroom, etc), nor do I consume alcohol, on the same principle.

As a rule, my family only eats organic vegetables, cheeses, and milk.

pampelmuse

Max Glycine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:20 am
`clean
    Lacto-vegetarian, but I also don't eat rajasic foods (onion, garlic, mushroom, etc), nor do I consume alcohol, on the same principle.

What are rajasic foods, and why don't you eat them?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:23 am
Apparently...  

[Matsuko]

Ayri^eagle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:56 pm
types of vegatarians I have heard of:
vegan
ovo-lacto-vegatarians (dairy and eggs)
lacto-vegatarians (dairy)
pesco-ovo-lacto-vegatarians (fish, dairy and eggs)
pesco-ovo-lacto-pollo-vegatarins (just no red meat)
some one also said that they were ovo-lacto-pesco-pollo-carne-vegatarian--which is funny because that's eggs, milk, fish, chicken, and meat....so ya...they were joking around  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:44 pm
xANTI-HUMANx
`clean

What are rajasic foods, and why don't you eat them?

I'm orthodox Hindu, you see. D;
Basically, I don't eat them for the same karma-oriented reasons that we don't eat meat.

@Matsuko: Merci~~ That includes a much better explanation. D;  

pampelmuse

Erin Haze

Loaded Nerd

16,525 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Pie For All! 300
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:08 am
Lacto-ovo vegetarian here. I buy free range eggs, vegetarian marked cheese and will be making the switch to soy milk when I get back home.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:48 am
I'm the oh so common lacto-ovo.  

Pinny Nickels

_-iamoftheuniverse-_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:53 pm
I must be Beegan!XP

I've just became a vegan, and I'm gradually quitting dairy products.

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff