Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Asatru a la Deoridhe Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:31 pm
Deoridhe

Asjungr, maybe? I've run across them mentioned by a few people, but the gender implications bother me a bit. I don't like systems that divide deities by a single characteristic. I've no idea how historically valid it is, either.
It was my understanding (you'll forgive the recontextualization for the sake of metaphor) that they were pretty much one large soroiety.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:46 pm
Mmm, no, not all the female deities associate. Skadhi, for instance, isolates herself even from her husband. Freya and Frigga have "handmaidens" though. Some Asatru, myself included, think these gods stood in their own right once, but were merged into a sisterhood by the somewhat sexist monks who wrote down the stories, or were ignored outright. The idea that all goddesses had a sorority might come along with the carriage of that sexism.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Dema

1,550 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:57 pm
Its said that Frigga rode around in a chariot pulled by giant cats, is there enough written about this that they were given names or no??  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:11 pm
Dema
Its said that Frigga rode around in a chariot pulled by giant cats, is there enough written about this that they were given names or no??

No, there is not.

You mgiht ask her what their names are, however, if you wish.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:38 pm
Deoridhe
Dema

No, there is not.

Puddin' and Ms. Cleo. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:31 pm
Deoridhe
Dema

No, there is not.

Wasnt it Freyja who had the chariot pulled by cats? Or is it part of the whole "Freyja = Frigga" deal?  

PhantomPhoenix0

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:32 pm
PhantomPhoenix0
Deoridhe
Dema

No, there is not.

Wasnt it Freyja who had the chariot pulled by cats? Or is it part of the whole "Freyja = Frigga" deal?

Nope, Freya has the cat chariot. She also cried tears when seeking her lost husband, Od, tears which became amber or gold.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:58 pm
Deoridhe
PhantomPhoenix0
Deoridhe
Dema

No, there is not.

Nope, Freya has the cat chariot. She also cried tears when seeking her lost husband, Od, tears which became amber or gold.

Ok, then I'm missing something. It looks like you were saying that Frigga was the one with the chariot.  

PhantomPhoenix0

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:35 pm
PhantomPhoenix0
Deoridhe
PhantomPhoenix0
Deoridhe
Dema

No, there is not.

Ok, then I'm missing something. It looks like you were saying that Frigga was the one with the chariot.

Ur... sweatdrop I assumed he was talking about Freya.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:04 am
Deoridhe

I know there is a giantess that has a name which translates as something akin to "Gold Thurst". Is this kind of "Gold" the same as Freya's tears?  

TeaDidikai

Annalixa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:05 pm
I know the Norse pantheon is associated with...er...Nordic countries. But there is mention of the same/a similar pantheon and Germanic people. Just how "German" (bearing in mind Germany wasn't really properly Germany until fairly recently) is Asatru and its associated deities?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:04 am
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

I know there is a giantess that has a name which translates as something akin to "Gold Thurst". Is this kind of "Gold" the same as Freya's tears?

There's an interesting debate about Freyja and the cats pulling her chariot among scholars of Old Norse, as the word describing the creatures could be translated as either cats or bears. Both animals were symbols of fertility in Pagan Scandinavia and were sacred to Freyja, but the word in question could be translated either way.
As far as the Giantess you mentioned, her name is Gullveig, and can be translated either as "greed" or "gold thirst" depending on whom you ask.
Gullveig is believed by some scholars to have been one of the Vanir, and is described in the following stanzas of the Voluspa, or Song of the Sybil:

The first war in the world I well remember,
When Gullveig was spitted on spear-points
And burned in the hall of the high god:
Thrice burned, thrice reborn,
Often laid low, she lives yet,

The gods hastened to their hall of judgement,
Sat in council to discover who
Had tainted all the air with corruption
And Odhinn's maid offered to the giants,

At the host Odhinn hurled his spear
In the first world-battle; broken was the plankwall
Of the gods fortress: the fierce Vanes
Caused war to occur in the fields.

godhi

PhantomPhoenix0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:22 am
Annalixa
I know the Norse pantheon is associated with...er...Nordic countries. But there is mention of the same/a similar pantheon and Germanic people. Just how "German" (bearing in mind Germany wasn't really properly Germany until fairly recently) is Asatru and its associated deities?

I believe the term "Germanic People" just refers to the group of people that had settled around present day Germany, and a little bit more spread. The Norse were a Germanic People, and as such, did share some things with the others, such as a general mythology, and an ancestral language (Old Norse/Old Icelandic ties back to Proto-Germanic), and possibly more.

That being said, Asatru as a religion (instead of a term) is indeed Germanic in nature, but calling it "German" might be a bit of a stretch.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:09 pm
godhi
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

There's an interesting debate about Freyja and the cats pulling her chariot among scholars of Old Norse, as the word describing the creatures could be translated as either cats or bears. Both animals were symbols of fertility in Pagan Scandinavia and were sacred to Freyja, but the word in question could be translated either way.
As far as the Giantess you mentioned, her name is Gullveig, and can be translated either as "greed" or "gold thirst" depending on whom you ask.
Gullveig is believed by some scholars to have been one of the Vanir, and is described in the following stanzas of the Voluspa, or Song of the Sybil:

The first war in the world I well remember,
When Gullveig was spitted on spear-points
And burned in the hall of the high god:
Thrice burned, thrice reborn,
Often laid low, she lives yet,

The gods hastened to their hall of judgement,
Sat in council to discover who
Had tainted all the air with corruption
And Odhinn's maid offered to the giants,

At the host Odhinn hurled his spear
In the first world-battle; broken was the plankwall
Of the gods fortress: the fierce Vanes
Caused war to occur in the fields.

So would either of you say that Gullveig thirsts for Freya's tears? Or is my head playing with translations it aught not?  

TeaDidikai

godhi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:04 am
TeaDidikai

So would either of you say that Gullveig thirsts for Freya's tears? Or is my head playing with translations it aught not?

Freyja's tears are a kenning for amber while the name Gullveig refers to 'gold-thirst' in terms of an overwhelming greed for the precious metal, so the two kennings are probably exclusive.  
PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff