Welcome to Gaia! ::

[ B U R N :: the everything guild ]

Back to Guilds

The Everything Guild... For Everyone, Everywhere. Designed with you in mind, to help you make the very most out of your Gaia experience! 

Tags: charity, contests, reality, advice, gold 

Reply - Extended Discussion & Debate -
Do You Think The Drinking Age in the US Should Be Lowered? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

sugasu

Questionable Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:03 pm
I don't see how genetics in meat for the public consumptions, the FDA, the zoo, and turkey breasts have to do with the issue at hand.
The argument the "If you can vote/die for your country, you should be able to drink," is a poor argument and, in my personal opinion, makes no sense. I don't see any correlations.
On the issue at hand, I think the age limit is perfectly fine. I don't think it's that much of an issue.  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:23 pm
Uulmshar
Matasoga
Uulmshar
I don't think there should be a drinking age at all.

Are there any developed countries in the world that have no drinking age at all?

Not that I have heard of, but I'm not interested in "developed," "developing," or "undeveloped:" I just want to live my life and not have a government knocking down my door every few days for letting my kids have wine with dinner or walk around naked.

Well then, there you have it. While your "power to the people" rhetoric and implications of hyper-legislation are one thing, the fact of the matter is that alcohol, is more dangerous, especially if introduced at a young enough age and while the body is still developing, it can be incredibly dependence-forming. Unlike most other substances, sudden deprivation can actually kill you. This isn't an issue that should be left up to children or parenting. That would be why you don't hear of developed countries having age requirements.  

Matasoga
Crew

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Lord Redtail Rathan

Invisible Genius

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:09 pm
Matasoga...Lady Button...I love y'all.  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:21 pm
Matasoga
Uulmshar
Matasoga
Uulmshar
I don't think there should be a drinking age at all.

Are there any developed countries in the world that have no drinking age at all?

Not that I have heard of, but I'm not interested in "developed," "developing," or "undeveloped:" I just want to live my life and not have a government knocking down my door every few days for letting my kids have wine with dinner or walk around naked.

Well then, there you have it. While your "power to the people" rhetoric and implications of hyper-legislation are one thing, the fact of the matter is that alcohol, is more dangerous, especially if introduced at a young enough age and while the body is still developing, it can be incredibly dependence-forming. Unlike most other substances, sudden deprivation can actually kill you. This isn't an issue that should be left up to children or parenting. That would be why you don't hear of developed countries having age requirements.

Alright, believe what you will; I just think it's safer to introduce children to alcohol young, so they learn responsibility and moderation, as opposed to waiting until they find it on their own, and probably learn the hard way.  

Uulmshar

Informer

9,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Witch Silhouette

Dangerous Seeker

9,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • The Committee Staff 25
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:39 am
No.  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:03 am
Witch Silhouette
No.

Please refrain from spamming the ED&D board.
You will not that one of the words is "extended." While I don't wish to step on your freedom of speech, if you not only have no explanation, support, or discussion to offer but find yourself with nothing more than one word (or three characters) to add to a topic, then you really aren't adding anything and you may find yourself better suited to one of BURNs other sub-forums.  

Matasoga
Crew

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Shadowing Death

Distinct Conversationalist

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:43 am
No, because there is of course reasoning to why it is 21... By standards, you're not mature enough to be responsible with your drinking... like, for example, how the driving age is about 16... and the smoking/sex/voting/an adult age is 18... Sure, you can do it younger... but on average, are you mature enough for it?... The answer is no... Sure, at 18 you can drink... and people do drink... but what about them?... There are those that usually drink until they're 'drunk'... which isn't very good to be doing, for many cases it goes over the limit... not to mention the amount of time they're drinking... but 21 year olds, they're usually wise enough to really drink more responsibly... not to say an 18 year old won't drink responsibly... or that a 21 year old will at all times drink responsibly… but basically... if 18 year olds are breaking a law to drink, I wouldn’t doubt they're breaking the legal limit once or twice... which doesn’t help they’re case in possibly wanting a lower legal drinking age… not to mention that to a younger body it's usually more harmful than a more developed one... plus, if we give 18 year olds any more new privileges... they'll pretty much have nothing much to wait for and be bored of life by age 19. xp  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:47 am
No the drinking age shouldn't be lowered because at the age of 18, you are still a 'kid'. Legally you are recognized as an adult, but your brain is still developing.  

Clapper Cheeks

Blessed Seeker

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:20 pm
Drinking shouldn't be legal at all as long as marijuana remains illegal. The types of intoxication from each substance are very different from each other, but I'd say the level of intoxication is about the same. The only difference is that you're about 20 times more likely to notice when you're high than when you're drunk. That's just my belief.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:37 pm
whoever thought up the idea of drinking at a young age is mad. Even then kids still do it illegally. so if you allow them to it legally people will be drinking in school on campus and cause something really stupid to happen. and then a giant a** news report will occur and boom society to blame and for what purpose do what cause. just so some teenager can drink his booze and do something pretty stupid like commit a car crash.

and the funny thing is that even if it did happen
all it would do is lower the level of a drinker to even smaller age
like 12 or 10  

xTx Monty xTx

klgirebdnchajdelfianemdke

Shirtless Hunter

7,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Brandisher 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:41 pm
They should lower the age limit. 18-year-olds can go to another country and kill someone, but they can't drink. It's stupid.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:47 pm
well I really think the the drinking age is fine (I'm a year past the Drinking age so I really don't care) but any ways it's more of an safety thing because 18 year old's don't take drinking seriously and most of them that I know that have broken the law drank at a party then got in a horrible accident, so I agree that 21 is the best age. plus when you are 18 you aren't fully grown yet and still immature but use guys are like that any ways.  

iceman elementals

Beloved Knight

10,975 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Trader 100

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:50 pm
Arashikage2
They should lower the age limit. 18-year-olds can go to another country and kill someone, but they can't drink. It's stupid.
You act like 18 year-olds don't drink in the military.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:58 pm
You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep...

I personally do not condone drinking in young adults, but I have a personal philosophy that users of controlled substances should not be put in prison. It fills up the jail cells and makes police more busy with cracking down on house parties than chasing after murderers, rapists, and thieves. I would probably consider lowering the legal drinking age to 18, if not 16.

At least that way a 18-year-old could tell his parents the truth when he calls them for a ride instead of driving home drunk.

...because reality is finally better than your dreams...

psycheduck

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100

psycheduck

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:06 am
Lady Button
I don't see how genetics in meat for the public consumptions, the FDA, the zoo, and turkey breasts have to do with the issue at hand.
The argument the "If you can vote/die for your country, you should be able to drink," is a poor argument and, in my personal opinion, makes no sense. I don't see any correlations.
On the issue at hand, I think the age limit is perfectly fine. I don't think it's that much of an issue.

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep...

To be honest that sort of logic just has a certain air of foolishness. Hey, dying in the military and voting are both idiotic, so why can't you drink? That's just as idiotic, if not more so!

...because reality is finally better than your dreams...

- Extended Discussion & Debate -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff