Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Which god/goddess to you follow worship? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nagaz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:41 pm
hmm i dont use Eddas i use the Futhark. and i prefer the Elder Futhark. The anglo saxon Futhark isnt to bad but the Elder is the original. i lke original  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:49 pm
Deoridhe
Nagaz
I recognize the God Cernunnos. He is the Nordic form of the Horned God.

There is no Norse Horned god. Cernunnos is drawn from one line of poetry which could be translated to "horned" or "seed" god, and one carving on a bowl some 200 miles away. The mythos of the horned god is put together by Wiccans, though there are resemblances to Herne and Pan, both gods in their own rights.

Nagaz
I also recognize the Goddess Frigg. she is Mother goddess of the Nordics. She is the wife of Odin

Frigga isn't quite a mother goddess... she is Odin's wife and does have a couple of children by him, but to limit her with the term "mother" would be the same as limiting her with the term "housewife." Also, she isn't the mother for most of the gods, just a few of the more minor ones.

I dint say Cernunnos was the horned god. I said he was a Nordic version of the horned god.

later on after the clash of the Celts and the Anglo Saxons (Nordic) the Anglo Saxon took on some of the celtic beliefs (wiccan) and adapted them to there own beliefs (almost wiccan in nature) the celts did like wise as with every war. something is transfered over.

And although Frigga didnt give birth to all the gods in the Nordic Tree. She is still considered to be the Mother Godess. its kind of wierd but all sort of makes sense. Kind of like Hera was the godess of mariage in Greek but could barely keep her own marriage together.  

Nagaz

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:37 am
Nagaz
Kind of like Hera was the godess of mariage in Greek but could barely keep her own marriage together.

Hera keeps her marriage together very well. She is equal to Zeus and could go out on her own, but instead chooses to stick with him, get her revenge as she needs to, and work problems in the marriage.

If that's not a model for learning within a marriage how to deal with problems. That and the gods don't have to abide by the same morality as we do.

Also I'm not seeing how Cernunnos is the nordic form of the horned god either.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:04 am
well each to his own opinnion. some histrians agree with you and some with me. likewise with some religious groups/ individuals.  

Nagaz

EternalHearts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:01 am
Jishin

I have one of Laurie Cabot's books. A friend of mine gave it to me, after we'd taken a trip to Salem. It's ... questionable, overall ... but there are small decent bits in it.

Salem is creepy. Any town that makes its money on the suffering of others ... *shakes head* Particularly when it wasn't even Salem proper that had the trials, it was Danvers. Ugh ugh ugh. I loved the old house museum, and the ice cream store that sells Witch City Sludge, but the rest of it was just unpleasant.

Danvers was PART of Salem back then, and Salem proper was the city part, where all the trials happened. It is terrible that so many make such a profit off of the deaths, and also terrible that so many make a buck off of fluffy tourists that want a pentacle or such to be "cool." They deffinitely need more museums/shops that give proper histories and don't cater to the tourists.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:35 am
ill second that. ive been to salem within the past year and it is nothing but a tourist attraction  

Nagaz

Jishin

Steadfast Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:49 am
EternalHearts
Danvers was PART of Salem back then, and Salem proper was the city part, where all the trials happened. It is terrible that so many make such a profit off of the deaths, and also terrible that so many make a buck off of fluffy tourists that want a pentacle or such to be "cool." They deffinitely need more museums/shops that give proper histories and don't cater to the tourists.

Actually, Danvers was Salem Village, and Salem was Salem Town. Not exactly the same thing, but closely related.

But yeah, it's a creepy place.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:30 pm
Nagaz
hmm i dont use Eddas i use the Futhark. and i prefer the Elder Futhark. The anglo saxon Futhark isnt to bad but the Elder is the original. i lke original

The Eddas and Saxo's History of the Danes are the two remaining sources of the Norse myths. The Futhark is an alphabet set of which there are three versions. What is your source for these myths you are stating? The runes do reference the gods only in passing, as they are relevent to the structure of the universe and even the gods fall within their auspices.

Nagaz
I dint say Cernunnos was the horned god. I said he was a Nordic version of the horned god.

Cernunnos is not a Norse deity. If you have evidence of him in the Eddas, Sagas, or Saxo's history of the Dane's I'd love to see it, since as far as I know the only textual reference to Cernnunos is Celtic, from the area now known as France.

Nagaz
later on after the clash of the Celts and the Anglo Saxons (Nordic) the Anglo Saxon took on some of the celtic beliefs (wiccan) and adapted them to there own beliefs (almost wiccan in nature) the celts did like wise as with every war. something is transfered over.

The Celtic beliefs are not Wiccan. Wicca took holidays from the Celts and the Norse and a ritual structure from Ceremonial Magic, then invented two entirely new deities.

I know of no lore for the Anglo-Saxon gods; I'd love it if you could supply some.

Nagaz
And although Frigga didnt give birth to all the gods in the Nordic Tree. She is still considered to be the Mother Godess. its kind of wierd but all sort of makes sense. Kind of like Hera was the godess of mariage in Greek but could barely keep her own marriage together.

You may title Frigga by a modern term like "mother goddess," but I chose not to in my dealings with her. I consider it rude to limit her in such a fashion by tying her into an archetypal ideal invented by humans based on an overview of religion as a whole.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Nagaz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:02 pm
Nagaz

The Celtic beliefs are not Wiccan. Wicca took holidays from the Celts and the Norse and a ritual structure from Ceremonial Magic, then invented two entirely new deities.[/qoute]

lol this is going to be a long debate i see. Originaly no the celts were not wiccan. and until almost the fall of the celts no one recognized the wiccan beliefs. But later on when the wiccan beliefs were first developing certian celtic groups did eccept wiccan.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:13 pm
Nagaz
lol this is going to be a long debate i see. Originaly no the celts were not wiccan. and until almost the fall of the celts no one recognized the wiccan beliefs. But later on when the wiccan beliefs were first developing certian celtic groups did eccept wiccan.

Ummm ... did you miss the part about Wicca being invented in its current form by Gerald Gardner (and some other people) in the 1920s?

Yes, there has been scholarly debate on whether or not that is the case. There is very little substantial documentation of the existence of Wicca as a religion at any time significantly prior to the 1920s.  

Jishin

Steadfast Explorer

Nagaz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:15 pm
Nagaz

[qoute="Deoridhe"]Cernunnos is not a Norse deity. If you have evidence of him in the Eddas, Sagas, or Saxo's history of the Dane's I'd love to see it, since as far as I know the only textual reference to Cernnunos is Celtic, from the area now known as France. [/qoute]

here are some internet sourses of Nordic god lists. Im locating other more indepth sites. my comp just got wiped clean so im having a hard time finding all my info.

http://www.ii.uj.edu.pl/~artur/enc/D3.htm#CERNUNNOS
http://www.ii.uj.edu.pl/~artur/enc/D3.htm

hmm thats all i can find right now but im attempting to locate more.

as for Frigg. like i said that is each t his own opinion. yes she has other traits but i see her most as the mother godess.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:20 pm
Nagaz
here are some internet sourses of Nordic god lists. Im locating other more indepth sites. my comp just got wiped clean so im having a hard time finding all my info.

http://www.ii.uj.edu.pl/~artur/enc/D3.htm#CERNUNNOS
http://www.ii.uj.edu.pl/~artur/enc/D3.htm

I just looked at both of those links, and it specifically lists Cernunnos as a Celtic deity right in the definition. I fail to see where it argues him as a Norse deity.

Although I'm certainly not as well-read as Deoridhe, I can safely state that I have never seen Cernunnos in any documented Norse myth.

As for Frigg ... well, I don't talk with her, so I'll stay out of that argument. Though I should probably introduce myself to the rest of the pantheon at some point .... sweatdrop ... although just having my patron as my patron makes me more than a little nervous about that.  

Jishin

Steadfast Explorer

Nagaz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:23 am
ok yes i mis read thos sites. i appologize. like i said i am still trying to fully get my comp up ad running fully so i have to locate my files. i have to go through like 5 stacks of cds.

yes there is not significant documentation to support the fact that there may have been pre-gregarian wiccan. but there is still the belief that there may have been. the theory is that it was wiped out during the crusades. but again this tpic is each to there own opinion.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:31 am
Nagaz
yes there is not significant documentation to support the fact that there may have been pre-gregarian wiccan. but there is still the belief that there may have been. the theory is that it was wiped out during the crusades. but again this tpic is each to there own opinion.

Pre-gregarian? WTF?

Do you mean pre-Gardnerian, or pre-Gregorian, as in the Pope (St. Gregory the Great)?

You can believe whatever you want, but there's a distinct difference between Unverified Personal Gnosis and simply ignoring the lack of factual evidence.  

Jishin

Steadfast Explorer

Keistera

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:24 pm
Nagaz
ok yes i mis read thos sites. i appologize. like i said i am still trying to fully get my comp up ad running fully so i have to locate my files. i have to go through like 5 stacks of cds.

There is no proof for it. Wicca is a modern-day invention. The ideas have been around (festivals revolving around solstices, for example, or coinciding with times of planting and harvest), but Wicca itself? No.

When quoting websites, recall that anyone can publish a website. Unless they have a decent bibliography listing print-sources (not just other websites), then it isn't a good idea to give them a second glance. When it comes to books, one has to be careful, too. Llewellyn publications, for example, mostly publishes books that will sell -- their first concern is not scholarship. It's because of publishing companies like these that a lot of misinformation is floating around.

Opinions are opinions, but when it comes to history and other scholarly pursuits, facts crush opinions. If you don't have facts to back up your opinions -- then your opinions mean nothing. It isn't the job of this community to accept something because it's an opinion. That's stupid - especially if that opinion is helping spread misinformation.

I hate repeating the same word several times in a paragraph. It sounds funny. -.-

*lesigh* That ends my tangent, for now.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces