Twilight?
  Yes
  No
  What the stars? I see them every night
View Results

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:44 pm
I though Meyers books were wretched. Her characters were so shallow : Edward loves her because she smells good? That's an deep relationship right there rolleyes ; and their unique character traits were too exagerated: Bella's complete and utter lack of self-preservation- that wench should have died long ago from her own stupidity; the "vampires" abilities were way over the top, I can see some greater-then-human abilities but she's not describing vampires, she's describing gods.

I'd like to point out the Meyers knows nothing of vampires, she even admits this. She has made it a point to stay ignorant about them as well. Her vampires are not vampires they are "Meyer-pires"  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:18 pm
this be fantasy, this isn't supposed to be completely realistic. i personally loved this book. and a month ago, EVERYONE who read at all was reading this and discussing it and loving it. razz
edward doesn't love bella just because he thinks she smells good. there probably was a bit to do with personality as well, i'm guessing...O.o  

miriflower17

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:03 pm
She wasn't asking for realism; she was asking for depth. There's a big difference.

And maybe by the end of the book Edward liked Bella for her personality, but if I remember correctly at the beginning he was only attracted to her because she smelled good.

It was a decent book while I was reading it. However, it's not a book that I think I'll ever read again, nor did it particularly make me want to read the sequels. I didn't, and odds are that I'll never get around to them.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:23 am
Personally, I like a good vampire story where none of the old rules apply. Its refreshing. If every vampire novel was like Anne Rice's, I'd stop reading them.

Oh, and if the third one doesn't show up in paperback soon, I'm going to have to go on a rampage.  

Wissakins

Masquanade

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:17 pm
I could care less about the preset notions of vampires and other mythical creatures. I like it when people take new takes on things. As such I had no issues with the vampires in Twilight, and have grown attached to the series (not super attached).  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:22 pm
On the note of Meyer making up her vampires.... My friend, who is a self-professed "vampire expert," just started reading Twilight. She gets so annoyed at any perceived changes or anything to the vampire persona, so I'm waiting anxiously for her reaction to Meyer's vampires. n.n  

NightIntent
Captain

Wissakins

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:42 pm
Really, the vampire myths are changing rapidly now. I don't think anyone can be an expert because every author now has different views on what their vamps can or can't do. I suppose that one could have an expertise on the classical vampire myths, but those vampires weren't exactly fun...
Yuck to Renfields.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:50 pm
That's pretty much why I put it in quotes and called her self-professed. Because she is. Self-professed, that is.

And she can't be a classic vampire expert, either, because she hasn't even read Dracula or any older versions of vampires. Probably saw movies based on a couple of old books, but it's highly unlikely she read them. I'm surprised she's reading Twilight, honestly. It's about three times longer than most books she reads. (:  

NightIntent
Captain

murphyad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:57 pm
i think that i am going to read the book but if its emo like everyone says it is i am going to be very sad  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:05 pm
Twilight isn't that emo, the second book is.  

Masquanade

Minerva the Whore 4 Books

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:13 am
Many people at school love it, thus I read it to see what all the fuss was about. The characters and the plot were uninteresting and cliche. Not cliche as far as novels go, but like tons of fan fiction story-lines. Honestly, I speculate that Meyer "borrowed" many of her ideas from internet authors. I didn't hate it; it had a few good lines in it:
"How old are you"
"Seventeen."
"How long have you been seventeen."
"A while."

Yes, I didn't despise the book, but - not to offend those of you that enjoyed it - I wouldn't reccomend the tale to anyone that isn't a sappy teenage girl.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:52 am
Maze353
I though Meyers books were wretched. Her characters were so shallow : Edward loves her because she smells good? That's an deep relationship right there rolleyes ; and their unique character traits were too exagerated: Bella's complete and utter lack of self-preservation- that wench should have died long ago from her own stupidity; the "vampires" abilities were way over the top, I can see some greater-then-human abilities but she's not describing vampires, she's describing gods.

I'd like to point out the Meyers knows nothing of vampires, she even admits this. She has made it a point to stay ignorant about them as well. Her vampires are not vampires they are "Meyer-pires"

I totally agree with you on Bella. It makes me mad sometimes because of the decisions she makes and the things she does.  

V for Virtuoso

Quotable Flatterer

9,575 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Wissakins

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:43 pm
I find Minerva's comment about not recommending it to anyone not a sappy teenager funny. My mother, of all people, is the one who threw the first book in my lap and told me to read it. She's going crazier than I am with waiting for the third to be out in paperback.

I suppose its just a matter of tastes. Though yes, Bella is simple sometimes. Then again, isn't everyone at some point?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:06 am
Eh, the book was okay. The vampires may have been a little more powerful than average, with the whole super speed thing going 1-1,000mph in a second. Though vampires are suppose to be fast, powerful & good looking beings so I think lots of people are exaggerating the difference. Though I would say it's more of a romance & not the typical action, lust & bloodshed that many come to like about vampires.  

Axline

suki-chan24

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:42 pm
I liked it. I'm not super obsessed with it, but enough to recommend to someone and watch the movie. And read the fourth book......

It's something new. It's not like the traditional vampire book. Which is interesting.

Although I'm not madly in love with this book, and still like it. There is sometimes parts were i don't care, and I get bored. Like any author they improve in time. And I'm waiting for that to happen with Stephanie Meyer, hopefully that's going to happen in the fourth book.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff