Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 03. ✿ - - - Role Playing
Roleplay training course (First time roleplayers must see!!) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sharp_Things_Hurt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:49 pm
Ok. My friend Ann is a big literacy nut. I want to rp w/ her but it gets annoying when she says 2 say more. R there any good rp's here i could practice in?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Ohoho, this guide is helpful.

I'm not exactly what one calls as a newbie roleplayer. since I've been rp'ing for four years, but I'm not one of those literate nuts (semi-lit here hur hurrrrrr). But Imma asking a few questions anyway;

1. is it considered a sin to have like... a million characters on a single rp (exaggeration, but seriously, I have around 9 under my wing before I dropped 1/3rd of them into a ditch )? I'm in this rp where my most of my companions have like, 15-20 characters. Not like I want to join them since I work horribly with a hell of characters at a given time but, yea, is it right?

2. THis is probaby a common question but; How do you deal with one-liners? cause seriously, in one rp (Not on this guild though), I try to dish out 4-5 paragraphs and in the end, I'll have difficulty trying to put on a decent reply because the person my character is conversing with replies with a one liner and it kinda makes me all "AOSDIJHASKJLHD HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO WRITE A GOOD REPLY FROM THAT? D:" though oddly in the end, I manage to write a long detailed reply anyway

3. Anyone care to help me with a couple of OC's I'm making for a rp? One's a titular femae samurai whilst the other is a old sorceress who looks like a 12 year old who can control a puppet army.

Nox Nyctores

6,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Angel Nicholson

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:34 pm
xxSpam_In_A_Canxx
Kaiyle Brightblade
Thanks Angel. I guess my next question would be, is it acceptable to borrow a few details from an existing work? Like if I had a character named Eragon, just because I liked the name? Or if in the backstory for one of my characters, I said his parents had been killed in a flood leaving him responsible for his little sister (Felix from Golden Sun). I wouldn't try to replicate the enter character throughout the roleplay, but it might help me get started if I could borrow details from a character I didn't create.

Personally, I'd say that's fine. I mean, if you're just using one or two little details, it's very unlikely that anyone would even be able to tell you took it from something. Like the flood thing: I had no idea that that had been used before because I've never had any experience with Golden Sun. As for names from other works...well, chances are that pretty much every name has been the name of a main character from a book/movie/video game/tv show.
I think it's fine, and I can't see why anyone would have a problem with it. Though, ultimately, if the creator of the RP tells you otherwise, go with what they say.

The human heart feels things the eyes cannot see...
User Image

Yeah, I've done it before, but little details like that usually aren't noticeable that you took them from somewhere, and there's so many different combinations of stories, that you can make it your own instantly just by changing some details and adding more. I sometimes take details from three different character's back stories, yes, they've been used before, but this is a new character and I've made the story my own by adding pieces that I've made up to make them fit together without it being obvious that I was inspired by some other character's back story.
Hope I helped :3

User Image
...and knows what the mind cannot understand.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:39 pm
- y a n d e r e s -

I'm not exactly what one calls as a newbie roleplayer. since I've been rp'ing for four years, but I'm not one of those literate nuts (semi-lit here hur hurrrrrr). But Imma asking a few questions anyway;

1. is it considered a sin to have like... a million characters on a single rp (exaggeration, but seriously, I have around 9 under my wing before I dropped 1/3rd of them into a ditch )? I'm in this rp where my most of my companions have like, 15-20 characters. Not like I want to join them since I work horribly with a hell of characters at a given time but, yea, is it right?

2. THis is probaby a common question but; How do you deal with one-liners? cause seriously, in one rp (Not on this guild though), I try to dish out 4-5 paragraphs and in the end, I'll have difficulty trying to put on a decent reply because the person my character is conversing with replies with a one liner and it kinda makes me all "AOSDIJHASKJLHD HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO WRITE A GOOD REPLY FROM THAT? D:" though oddly in the end, I manage to write a long detailed reply anyway

3. Anyone care to help me with a couple of OC's I'm making for a rp? One's a titular femae samurai whilst the other is a old sorceress who looks like a 12 year old who can control a puppet army.
User Image

Yeah, I hate those people who are illiterate and just say something and put the actions in these things "* *" but I have no problem with semi-lit.
I have no idea how to deal with one-liners either. I can't stand them. Unless there is really nothing else that could have been said (because some of my replies end with people only being able to go with a one-liner) it doesn't bother me so much then because I brought it upon myself, but when you could have gone into more detail, I hate it when they don't >.<

User Image

Angel Nicholson

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Nox Nyctores

6,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:38 pm
angel_nicholson
- y a n d e r e s -

User Image

Yeah, I hate those people who are illiterate and just say something and put the actions in these things "* *" but I have no problem with semi-lit.
I have no idea how to deal with one-liners either. I can't stand them. Unless there is really nothing else that could have been said (because some of my replies end with people only being able to go with a one-liner) it doesn't bother me so much then because I brought it upon myself, but when you could have gone into more detail, I hate it when they don't >.<

User Image

Oh god. I swear you have not seen everything. Since I began roleplaying, I always seem to end up with people who go all

"I luv u *Sue kisses Arashi*

and then when I try to correct them of their errors nicely, they just rile up and say "STFU Aile, It's my character and I can write what I want"

at least the rp group I'm in is more understanding D:

And I think one liners could have just quoted whatever a character is saying to their character and have them to reply to it. Yes it might probably not help, but at the very least, it avoids the fact that they are doing one-liners D:, Like this
-------------
How long had she been awake?

Xiao-Xing lay on her futon, staring at the ceiling above her. It has been an hour since she has decided tor retire for the day, and sleep hasn't overcome her yet. It couldn't be helped that Megohime's words still troubled her up till now.

"Xiao, you understand when I say that if Magoichi hurts Gracia I'll have to kill him, right? She's far, too innocent to have her heart broken over that man."

Those words haunted Xiao-Xing's mind, and they never seem to disappear to the back of her mind when she wanted to .Why? why would Megohime have to resort to killing Magoichi? It wasn't that she actually cared for the man (not like she will ever be). But the thought alone seems inhumane in the eyes of Xiao-Xing. Yes,she had to admit, even if she disliked Magoichi for all she cares, she still had a heart.

Sighing, she sat up on her futon and brushed a hand through her hair. A ride out in the dark would seem to help clear up her mind about the troubling thoughts. With that in mind, she stood up and reached for her clothes and her hooded cloak which lay neatly next to her. The moment she finished dressing up, she placed the hood over her head and quietly exited her room.

She quietly passed by the hallways of the castle, guided only by a few lanterns being lit here and there. It was unusually quiet, something that Xiao-Xing was never accustomed to. It wasn't long when she finally reached near the vicinity of the stables. Guided by the moonlight, Xiao-Xing quietly entered the stables. Just as she did though, she heard a gunshot. Quickly, as if instinct told her so Xiao-Xing jumped into a nearby pile of hay to conceal herself. An intruder? she thought, until she heard a rather familiar voice.

"Masamune, I've had enough! Stop running away from me and brushing me off! I want to know what's bothering you and to finally tell you the wonderful news that you've yet to let me say!"

Megohime-sama?

Xiao-Xing knew that that voice belonged to Megohime, but the tone was nothing of the Megohime she knew. As their conversation progressed on, Xiao-Xing felt her stomach churn. She was very well aware that this was a conversation she shouldn't privy herself in, but at the same time, there was no way that she could ever leave the stables without getting caught in this position. The only thing she could do is stay still, and hope that they have no idea that she was there.

-----------------------
The grey parts are words mentioned by another character and not mine. If one-liners would just do this , they woldn't be much of a one-liner at all D:

edit: oh yea.Give me some criticism and comments for this oc of mine? :3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:11 pm
Username:Lil azn princess Lana
Character name: IDK can you choose
Personality: caring fun laughable girl
History: vietnamese???
Relationship: CRUSH: John L
Appearance: black hair dark brown eyes freckles girl
Other: I♥BOYZ  

LiL azn princess Lana

Angel Nicholson

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:39 pm
LiL azn princess Lana

User Image

This profile, dear, I'd really hate to say it because I think this term is harsh and over-used, but...
it was an epic fail :/
I'd realy hate to be mean, but you don't seem to have read any of it if you were being serious about it.

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:49 pm
- y a n d e r e s -
angel_nicholson
- y a n d e r e s -

User Image

User Image

Oh god. I swear you have not seen everything. Since I began roleplaying, I always seem to end up with people who go all

and then when I try to correct them of their errors nicely, they just rile up and say "STFU Aile, It's my character and I can write what I want"

And I think one liners could have just quoted whatever a character is saying to their character and have them to reply to it. Yes it might probably not help, but at the very least, it avoids the fact that they are doing one-liners D:, Like this
-------------

Xiao-Xing lay on her futon, staring at the ceiling above her. It has been an hour since she has decided tor retire for the day, and sleep hasn't overcome her yet. It couldn't be helped that Megohime's words still troubled her up till now.

"Xiao, you understand when I say that if Magoichi hurts Gracia I'll have to kill him, right? She's far, too innocent to have her heart broken over that man."

Those words haunted Xiao-Xing's mind, and they never seem to disappear to the back of her mind when she wanted to .Why? why would Megohime have to resort to killing Magoichi? It wasn't that she actually cared for the man (not like she will ever be). But the thought alone seems inhumane in the eyes of Xiao-Xing. Yes,she had to admit, even if she disliked Magoichi for all she cares, she still had a heart.

Sighing, she sat up on her futon and brushed a hand through her hair. A ride out in the dark would seem to help clear up her mind about the troubling thoughts. With that in mind, she stood up and reached for her clothes and her hooded cloak which lay neatly next to her. The moment she finished dressing up, she placed the hood over her head and quietly exited her room.

She quietly passed by the hallways of the castle, guided only by a few lanterns being lit here and there. It was unusually quiet, something that Xiao-Xing was never accustomed to. It wasn't long when she finally reached near the vicinity of the stables. Guided by the moonlight, Xiao-Xing quietly entered the stables. Just as she did though, she heard a gunshot. Quickly, as if instinct told her so Xiao-Xing jumped into a nearby pile of hay to conceal herself. An intruder? she thought, until she heard a rather familiar voice.

"Masamune, I've had enough! Stop running away from me and brushing me off! I want to know what's bothering you and to finally tell you the wonderful news that you've yet to let me say!"

Megohime-sama?

Xiao-Xing knew that that voice belonged to Megohime, but the tone was nothing of the Megohime she knew. As their conversation progressed on, Xiao-Xing felt her stomach churn. She was very well aware that this was a conversation she shouldn't privy herself in, but at the same time, there was no way that she could ever leave the stables without getting caught in this position. The only thing she could do is stay still, and hope that they have no idea that she was there.

-----------------------
The grey parts are words mentioned by another character and not mine. If one-liners would just do this , they woldn't be much of a one-liner at all D:

User Image

Anyway, I looked at your character, and I absolutely love it!
That's the perfect amount of information and it is very well written :3
It shows her personality and everything really well

Yeah, I don't mind one-liners like that, but if it's just them replying, to a question with literally, one line, it bugs me.
I try to write as much as I can and keep it interesting, that's how an rp works. I have an rp-er in my guild and he's just no good. I thought he was from another country and that english wasn't his native language, then I found out all he was saying was what the character said and his action, I can show you an example here.
Keep in mind, they're all like this, and they just get worse =_=;

Some guy who's username I'm not going to give out
"No...its all right."Rolls down sleeves and smiles."I'm okay now."

Some guy who's username I'm STILL not going to give out
Looks down and gets an idea."Maybe you can make a new eye...It won't be quite the same but...well its worth a try."

User Image

Angel Nicholson

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Nox Nyctores

6,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:51 pm
LiL azn princess Lana

ffff.
sorry, I don't really like being so..mean but lmao , profile skeletons like this are meant for characters you made up, not yourself.

Even if it was a made up character, It's too vauge to even be considered a profile xD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:02 pm
angel_nicholson
- y a n d e r e s -
angel_nicholson
- y a n d e r e s -

User Image

User Image

-------------

Megohime-sama?

-----------------------

User Image

Yeah, I don't mind one-liners like that, but if it's just them replying, to a question with literally, one line, it bugs me.
I try to write as much as I can and keep it interesting, that's how an rp works. I have an rp-er in my guild and he's just no good. I thought he was from another country and that english wasn't his native language, then I found out all he was saying was what the character said and his action, I can show you an example here.

Looks down and gets an idea."Maybe you can make a new eye...It won't be quite the same but...well its worth a try."

User Image

Oh god. the quotes sounds like this guy on my rp:
some idiot who calls himself an rp'er

Mitsuhide was ready to leave the Date castle set on to find his lord or help anyone in need. So he went to Masamune and Megohime and told them "Bye and see you on the battlefield" then found Takai relaxing by a pond then grabbed his horse then took off.

Most annoying part? Masamune and Megohime where having their alone time when the guy had his character just barge in.
and then leave.

Lol, I know how you feel with that, answering a question with just one line.
I remember I posted a tl;dr post and the next person just typed
"Ok"
Just that.
I RAGED.
In fact, I can sum it all up with one image:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

And thanks on the crit <3. I did forget to put down how she shows her affection to others and her abilities, so I'm still working on that. xD

Nox Nyctores

6,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Angel Nicholson

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:22 pm
- y a n d e r e s -
angel_nicholson
- y a n d e r e s -
angel_nicholson
- y a n d e r e s -

User Image

User Image

-------------

Megohime-sama?

-----------------------

User Image

User Image

Mitsuhide was ready to leave the Date castle set on to find his lord or help anyone in need. So he went to Masamune and Megohime and told them "Bye and see you on the battlefield" then found Takai relaxing by a pond then grabbed his horse then took off.

Most annoying part? Masamune and Megohime where having their alone time when the guy had his character just barge in.
and then leave.

"Ok"
Just that.
I RAGED.

And thanks on the crit <3. I did forget to put down how she shows her affection to others and her abilities, so I'm still working on that. xD

Yeah, I dunno why he does it, but it's really annoying, he has good potential, but...he's just not getting it. And you know how in an rp there might different forums for different areas of the rp? Apparently he can time travel or something, because he'll post in all the areas at once. I'm like "dude...you can only be in one place at a time..."
I hate the ones that just kinda jump in when they weren't there to begin with :/
I mean, if your character was there before and they just continued without you, find a way to subtly sneak them in. Don't just explode into the scene =_=;
I've found one guy that is an awesome rp-er. His responces aren't always very long, but they're informative and don't leave you nothing to work with. Him and I work well together, and our characters always fit together well, I have one, his name is Jane and he's very soft spoken and grounded, while his character, Keita, is the complete opposite. They make the other stronger.
But some of the characters people come up with, you just lookat them like "wtf is that...?"  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:25 pm
Lieutenant Shotgun
In the roleplay

Now we move on! You have been accepted and can roleplay.

Oh, s**t! What should you do?

Here are some tips.

Be as literate as possible. Don't use chatspeak. It is TERRIBLE. Take the time to write posts properly.

Use correct punctuation. Misplacement of a comma or colon can result in a big misunderstanding. If you don't use quotation marks ("), use a color or bold it.

This is an example by Faretheewell of how important commas are.

"Let's eat, Grandpa!"
"Let's eat Grandpa!"

Make thoughts italics (i). Don't use a smaller font or quotation. Quotation is for TALKING.

Don't be dramatic. Angst and s**t gets OLD.

Don't make secret plans unless you talked with the roleplay's creator. I hate trying to figure things, when I should know because I'm the creator of something. D8<

You shouldn't put your character's picture in your posts every time unless you have cropped and/or resized it. (Use photobucket.)

If it's a roleplay that calls for partnership, don't just create one part, or both and make the character like each other. Make it interactive; have another player do that part, and have romance with them.

Now, romance. Don't pair your character up with another character of yours. It's not fun to watch, and no one else can take part. Pair up with another person before hand if you have to.

Can I add to this? Don't use emotes! If your character is angry, do not put scream , say, *Name* was angry.  

Art Greylace

Dapper Cutie-Pie

11,050 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Flatterer 200

Nox Nyctores

6,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:45 pm
angel_nicholson
- y a n d e r e s -
angel_nicholson
- y a n d e r e s -
angel_nicholson
User Image

User Image

-------------

Megohime-sama?

-----------------------

User Image

User Image

and then leave.

"Ok"
Just that.
I RAGED.

Yeah, I dunno why he does it, but it's really annoying, he has good potential, but...he's just not getting it. And you know how in an rp there might different forums for different areas of the rp? Apparently he can time travel or something, because he'll post in all the areas at once. I'm like "dude...you can only be in one place at a time..."
I hate the ones that just kinda jump in when they weren't there to begin with :/
I mean, if your character was there before and they just continued without you, find a way to subtly sneak them in. Don't just explode into the scene =_=;
I've found one guy that is an awesome rp-er. His responces aren't always very long, but they're informative and don't leave you nothing to work with. Him and I work well together, and our characters always fit together well, I have one, his name is Jane and he's very soft spoken and grounded, while his character, Keita, is the complete opposite. They make the other stronger.
But some of the characters people come up with, you just lookat them like "wtf is that...?"

User Image
heroic error
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

/fails on seeing this post.

Yea, I've been on this one rp where locations are broken up into subforums and such. We all decided that one character may interact at two places at once, provided that one thread is a backlog or if it occurs at a different time to be considered.

That's unfortunately a common problem with most newbie players, who don't exactly get the idea that people can never be at two places at once.

It's nice to know that there are people who can write like that. Honestly I'm not up to that skill where I can give off a lot of information with a short sweet informative reply, maybe xD

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
ɹoɹɹǝ ɔıoɹǝɥ

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:37 pm
╔══════════════╗

☞ Thanks for the help! ☜

╚══════════════╝

Muffin of Magic

vital_stitches

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:45 am
Angel Nicholson
Okay, I used a character from one of my stories once, his age was unknown, but it was part of who he was and it worked well for the roleplay. But I didn't just say unknown, I gave an age range and the age he behaved (he was a very strange character, but fun to work with and people apparently like him), no one seemed to be annoyed with that. So I'm guessing that's fine?

For reference, the age in his bio looked like this:
Quote:
Age: Unknown, but is said to be somewhere between 100 and 130, he behaves like he's 16, though.

EDIT:
Btw, he wasn't human, but he didn't have any super-human abilities and wasn't all evil or anything (or a vampire...those have gotten old). If that helps. He was just...interesting.
I only said it was unknown because he doesn't know how old he was, and the age range made it so that no one could just come right out and tell my character how old he was, because, well...that would right screw him up, now wouldn't it?

But yeah, was that alright?

Just read this whole thing and saw no one answered yours. So I'll give it a shot. sweatdrop

I think it's fine. You at least gave a good range of what your character's age might be and at what age he acts. So at least that's something and a hell of a lot better then just posting Unknown or N/A. So in short, yes it is fine.

BTW where are these girls that created this thread? Shouldn't they be here to answer any questions and such? stare  
03. ✿ - - - Role Playing

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff