Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
meditation Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:48 am
CuAnnan
Don't.
Save yourself.
The movies were ******** terrible.
They were so bad that I almost lost faith in the Series.
Seriously.
They were shite.
Oh, okaythen. 3nodding

I'll just write my own ending.

"And they all lived happily ever after, stargating around the universe forever. The end."  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:05 pm
CuAnnan
Fiddlers Green
Aino Ailill
The wife of Teal'c died despite kel'no'reem. cry

question exclaim question exclaim
Well that's a plot hole and a half!
I mean, come on, we've done everything from banish demons to survive in space unprotected even killed terminal illnesses, with this. confused

Teal'c's wife didn't have a symbiote.

How does that work? The Amazon tribe of Rebel women required symbiotes to live once they hit a certain age. Also, when tealc goes in to see e's wife, it is set up as Teal'c sets up e's room in the SGC for kel'no'reem.  

Aino Ailill

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:09 pm
Aino Ailill
CuAnnan
Fiddlers Green
Aino Ailill
The wife of Teal'c died despite kel'no'reem. cry

question exclaim question exclaim
Well that's a plot hole and a half!
I mean, come on, we've done everything from banish demons to survive in space unprotected even killed terminal illnesses, with this. confused

Teal'c's wife didn't have a symbiote.

How does that work? The Amazon tribe of Rebel women required symbiotes to live once they hit a certain age. Also, when tealc goes in to see e's wife, it is set up as Teal'c sets up e's room in the SGC for kel'no'reem.

I sit corrected. She did, in fact, have a symbiote.
She died because she refused to get a second one once hers matured.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:37 am
Sophist

Because sometimes there's nothing you can do.
Don't confuse can't with unwilling.

Quote:
And yes you can say that people always have a choice. For example, if you don't enjoy the work you're doing, get a different job. If you don't like arguing with your s.o., dump them. But these options aren't always feasible.
Again, you're confusing can't with unwilling.  

TeaDidikai

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:14 am
TeaDidikai
Sophist

Because sometimes there's nothing you can do.
Don't confuse can't with unwilling.

Quote:
And yes you can say that people always have a choice. For example, if you don't enjoy the work you're doing, get a different job. If you don't like arguing with your s.o., dump them. But these options aren't always feasible.
Again, you're confusing can't with unwilling.

I didn't realize we were talking only about people who are unwilling to try other methods than meditation. Though I can see why these people might irritate you. I was talking more generally of people trying to self-medicate, which I think is a good thing when circumstances don't permit viable alternatives.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:52 pm
Sophist

I didn't realize we were talking only about people who are unwilling to try other methods than meditation. Though I can see why these people might irritate you. I was talking more generally of people trying to self-medicate, which I think is a good thing when circumstances don't permit viable alternatives.
No, what I am saying is that your examples confuse people who are unwilling to change their situation with people who cannot.  

TeaDidikai

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:27 pm
TeaDidikai
Sophist

No, what I am saying is that your examples confuse people who are unwilling to change their situation with people who cannot.

like if someone is unwilling to quit their job as opposed to someone cannot regrow an amputated limb? the examples don't really pertain to the situation, i don't think, but it's the first thing that popped into my head. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:39 pm
TeaDidikai
Sophist

I probably didn't give very good examples to what I was trying to say. I think whether people are willing or not to change their situation is beside the point. If people can relieve their stress by meditating, I think it's a good thing. If they try to relieve the source of their stress, even better. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.  

Bastemhet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:24 am
whiporwill-o
TeaDidikai
Sophist

like if someone is unwilling to quit their job as opposed to someone cannot regrow an amputated limb? the examples don't really pertain to the situation, i don't think, but it's the first thing that popped into my head. sweatdrop

Using one of the examples given- an unhappy job:
There is the possibility one can search out a new job while working the old one. There is trying to find a meeting of the minds with one's superior or teammates. There are a number of things that require effort and change. I often see people say "I can't do X" when they really mean they are unwilling to put in the effort to change their situation.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:32 pm
TeaDidikai
Using one of the examples given- an unhappy job:
There is the possibility one can search out a new job while working the old one. There is trying to find a meeting of the minds with one's superior or teammates. There are a number of things that require effort and change. I often see people say "I can't do X" when they really mean they are unwilling to put in the effort to change their situation.

However, if, in the end, others are unwilling to compromise, and the person is left with the apparent choices of unemployment or misery... then the answer is less obvious.

What is possible causally is not always probable. To reference Whiporwill-o... It is not possible that I will my arm to grow back, 'twere it severed... however, could it not be said I was unwilling to keep my arm for placing myself in a situation where I lost it? Might it be said I am unwilling to do everything it would take to get my arm back? My failure to gather the appendage once removed is what leaves me armless. My body's general inability to regenerate limbs is only an excuse.

I am a personal advocate of taking responsibility for one's situation, however, there are limitations on a person, mental and emotional, just as sure as there are physical. Some can be circumvented... others we yet lack to tools to work around.

To run with the comment about jobs... if a person were to become unemployed in my area, they will remain so. There are not jobs. Not Fast Food, not Grocers, not garbage collection. To obtain a job, one must leave the area. If one does not have a vehicle, that will be quite a challenge. If one does not have money for bus fare, that also makes all of the options illegal as it would require crossing highways forbidden to pedestrians. All of this effort, just for the possibility of finding a new job elsewhere. Or, one can continue to endure where they are. Personally, I will risk starvation. However, I will not demean someone for opting against that.

We can always make choices, but each choice has a causal result. If the probably causal result is death by starvation, or rendering of vagrancy, most people will discard those as non-options.  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:25 pm
Fiddlers Green

However, if, in the end, others are unwilling to compromise, and the person is left with the apparent choices of unemployment or misery... then the answer is less obvious.

What is possible causally is not always probable. To reference Whiporwill-o... It is not possible that I will my arm to grow back, 'twere it severed... however, could it not be said I was unwilling to keep my arm for placing myself in a situation where I lost it? Might it be said I am unwilling to do everything it would take to get my arm back? My failure to gather the appendage once removed is what leaves me armless. My body's general inability to regenerate limbs is only an excuse.
I opted not to address it because I find the analogy flawed.

If the issue is "I am unable to do X because my arm is gone", the solutions become numerous. We see people overcoming life changing damage to their body on a regular basis. They do not regrow limbs, but they put effort into changing the situation so that they need not regrow limbs to attain what they desire.

This, when applied to "job misery or unemployment" becomes a function of examining what is "job misery" and different solutions to the misery angle of it. Sometimes this is employment elsewhere, relocation or a host of other things. Sometimes it is not.

Quote:
I am a personal advocate of taking responsibility for one's situation, however, there are limitations on a person, mental and emotional, just as sure as there are physical. Some can be circumvented... others we yet lack to tools to work around.

To run with the comment about jobs... if a person were to become unemployed in my area, they will remain so. There are not jobs. Not Fast Food, not Grocers, not garbage collection. To obtain a job, one must leave the area. If one does not have a vehicle, that will be quite a challenge. If one does not have money for bus fare, that also makes all of the options illegal as it would require crossing highways forbidden to pedestrians. All of this effort, just for the possibility of finding a new job elsewhere. Or, one can continue to endure where they are. Personally, I will risk starvation. However, I will not demean someone for opting against that.

We can always make choices, but each choice has a causal result. If the probably causal result is death by starvation, or rendering of vagrancy, most people will discard those as non-options.
My problem is that there are even more options than that. Part of why we see the behavior we do is because people tend to stop at about the same obstacles.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:47 pm
TeaDidikai
I opted not to address it because I find the analogy flawed.

Very well.
Quote:
My problem is that there are even more options than that. Part of why we see the behavior we do is because people tend to stop at about the same obstacles.

Oh, there are more options.
I might take what I desire by force.
By subterfuge or stealth.
At the end of the day, your options are live or die.
If a person is mentally incapable of comprehending the bouquet of options to reach these two ends, then they cannot. It is not possible for them. It may be physically possible, but if it is not within mental or emotion possibility it is still not within possibility for them.
What is possible for me, is not the same as what is possible for you. We are different. Thus, I cannot give my solutions to your problems and say they are possible for you. No, they are possible for me. If I share them with you, that may overcome your own inability, for what is impossible for one, may be possible for two. Thus, it is possible for us to overcome it. A broken mind or a broken heart is just as crippling as a broken leg. IT radically shifts the realm of possibility based on circumstance. The causal chain must include all contributing factors.  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:40 pm
Fiddlers Green

Oh, there are more options.
I might take what I desire by force.
By subterfuge or stealth.
At the end of the day, your options are live or die.
If a person is mentally incapable of comprehending the bouquet of options to reach these two ends, then they cannot. It is not possible for them. It may be physically possible, but if it is not within mental or emotion possibility it is still not within possibility for them.
What is possible for me, is not the same as what is possible for you. We are different. Thus, I cannot give my solutions to your problems and say they are possible for you. No, they are possible for me. If I share them with you, that may overcome your own inability, for what is impossible for one, may be possible for two. Thus, it is possible for us to overcome it. A broken mind or a broken heart is just as crippling as a broken leg. IT radically shifts the realm of possibility based on circumstance. The causal chain must include all contributing factors.
But again we come to an area where we talk of what is possible and what is merely being thought to be such.

A battered lover may remain in a horrific situation not because they have no recourse, but because they choose not to take such course of action.

Save for perhaps the most dire of circumstances, there are always choices and options. Ones that often go unexplored because we do not wish to accept the risk involved, put the effort in or what have you.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:15 pm
TeaDidikai
But again we come to an area where we talk of what is possible and what is merely being thought to be such.

A battered lover may remain in a horrific situation not because they have no recourse, but because they choose not to take such course of action.

Save for perhaps the most dire of circumstances, there are always choices and options. Ones that often go unexplored because we do not wish to accept the risk involved, put the effort in or what have you.

As I read this, it seems that you are asserting that all emotional or mental strength is purely a matter of choice, rather than a factor that determines possibility of choices.
Is this correct?  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:10 pm
Fiddlers Green
TeaDidikai

As I read this, it seems that you are asserting that all emotional or mental strength is purely a matter of choice, rather than a factor that determines possibility of choices.
Is this correct?
Since ultimately it is a mutable nature- yeah.
With enough consensual programming, we can change the inclinations.
We may opt not to- we may decide that the damage done in order to obtain a given result elsewhere isn't worth it- but it's still a choice.

The parallels to your example of hiking along the freeway to seek employment elsewhere comes to mind. The first thing that came to mind while I was reading that was that my state has a program that provides transportation to people who need help moving in order to get a job elsewhere. This is at no financial cost to the person using the service. It takes a fair bit of time and effort- but it is an option.

The issue applied to mental and emotional challenges becomes a matter of seeking out the right form of treatment. I'm currently doing this myself. I spent a lot of time in my life saying I can't help but accept part of these things in my life.

I would not argue from ignorance that there is no situation that this doesn't apply to. I can but say I have not personally seen one to date that doesn't involve the most extreme of diagnosis of a psychological state, and I am grateful such is the case.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff