Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
I'm going back to church tommorow, Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SirynECrow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:28 pm
Opps...I didn't mean to lump 'em together. My bad. sweatdrop

I'm aware that's not what you said mrgreen I was agreeing with you and then adding my two fairly-uninformed cents. I didn't mean to make is sound like I was restating what you wrote, I'm well aware that what I put was way off.

...mayhap in the intro bit I should've mentioned I don't often think before I write...again, my fault. I think I had better leave off saying anything unless I actually know what I'm saying sorry sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:10 pm
Recursive Paradox
I said that Christianity is incompatible with Paganism as an umbrella term because Pagan by definition means non Abrahamic or non Big Five. And Christianity is both Abrahamic and a part of the Big Five. I didn't say a thing about persecution, idea absorption and etcetera.
Small contest. There are meso-pagan theologies, a term coined by Bonewitz, to denote theologies of cultures that had undergone forced assimilation into Christendom which retained distinctly "pagan" practices, beliefs and themes.  

TeaDidikai

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:51 pm
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox
I said that Christianity is incompatible with Paganism as an umbrella term because Pagan by definition means non Abrahamic or non Big Five. And Christianity is both Abrahamic and a part of the Big Five. I didn't say a thing about persecution, idea absorption and etcetera.
Small contest. There are meso-pagan theologies, a term coined by Bonewitz, to denote theologies of cultures that had undergone forced assimilation into Christendom which retained distinctly "pagan" practices, beliefs and themes.

Hmm, quick question, would Vodou and other such syncretic belief systems be included under meso-pagan theologies? ninja  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:51 pm
Cyrus the Elder

Hmm, quick question, would Vodou and other such syncretic belief systems be included under meso-pagan theologies? ninja
Vodou was the second religion I was thinking about when I made the correction.  

TeaDidikai

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:54 am
SirynECrow
Opps...I didn't mean to lump 'em together. My bad. sweatdrop

No worries.

Quote:
I'm aware that's not what you said mrgreen I was agreeing with you and then adding my two fairly-uninformed cents. I didn't mean to make is sound like I was restating what you wrote, I'm well aware that what I put was way off.

You'd have to talk to Tea or someone else about whether its way off. The historical absorption into Christianity of other religions and cultures isn't an area I know much about.

Which is why I didn't say anything on the topic. *nodnod*

Quote:
...mayhap in the intro bit I should've mentioned I don't often think before I write...again, my fault. I think I had better leave off saying anything unless I actually know what I'm saying sorry sweatdrop

Hun, relax. You really didn't do anything bad. Just one little mistake and you accepted the correction gracefully.

You're good in my book so stop beating yourself up.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:55 am
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

Oh interesting. I was not aware of that.

Now if only I had time to do personal research instead of grad research I could actually pursue my curiosity on this. x_x  

Recursive Paradox

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:19 pm
Recursive Paradox
You'd have to talk to Tea or someone else about whether its way off.
ninja

Recursive Paradox
Voodoo. Some trads amongst the Rroma. Some of the rural Slavic traditions. Santeria.

The list goes on.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:25 am
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox
You'd have to talk to Tea or someone else about whether its way off.
ninja

*grin* I try not to pass the buck too much.

Quote:
Recursive Paradox
Voodoo. Some trads amongst the Rroma. Some of the rural Slavic traditions. Santeria.

The list goes on.

When I have free time to breathe again, I'll do a little research into it.  

Recursive Paradox

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:16 pm
Recursive Paradox

Heh. I just get a bit... twitchy.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:46 pm
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

Heh. I just get a bit... twitchy.

Trust me, if I had time to do the extra research, I'd handle em all myself. ^^  

Recursive Paradox

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:53 pm
Recursive Paradox
I'm usually happy to pull sources for folks. I just don't like the open expectation.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:22 pm
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox
I'm usually happy to pull sources for folks. I just don't like the open expectation.

Ah. I apologize for that then. It occurs to me now how unfair that is to do to you.

Sorry. sweatdrop  

Recursive Paradox

younameme qwerty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:20 am
well .. I am NOT wiccan..I cant tell you enough how wrong I've been. the word Wicca is everywhere and It became a blanket... I will stay a hedge witch and not let anyone at church tell me I'm going to hell for it....  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:04 pm
Well, no more so than eating shellfish at least. whee  

Fiddlers Green

younameme qwerty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:35 am
I just got back from church, I am not comfortable there, yes I feel the glow of SPIRIT in my innermost being but, there is so much I just cant accept. on a positive note, its one of the coolest churches I've ever been to and the folks there are very kind, But if I tried to share just were I'm at , I'm sure it would be a disaster. Am I wrong to think there can be any unity? at least a correction of any misinterpretation? It is their religion, yes, but it does effect others when they are being slammed...  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff