Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Reply Thread Archive {Hot topics}
Homosexuality is a sin. and Tattoos. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:50 pm
zz1000zz
In other words, there was no biblical basis for your claims.

We don't ask for rationale behind other biblical claims, we just drift along with it. The basis is not always in there, but we don't ask for it because often times it is very apparent.

This is a time when it is not.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:14 pm
Matt Pniewski
zz1000zz

We don't ask for rationale behind other biblical claims, we just drift along with it. The basis is not always in there, but we don't ask for it because often times it is very apparent.

I cannot help but read this as, "I just made it up."  

zz1000zz
Crew

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:20 pm
zz1000zz
Matt Pniewski
zz1000zz

I cannot help but read this as, "I just made it up."

Well, it looks like you read it in the bible as "God says so, don't ask why."

This actually makes a lot more sense than simply "God says so".  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:25 pm
No. I just refuse to accept someone telling me what the Bible's reason for saying something is without that person providing any justification for their claim.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:08 pm
zz1000zz
No. I just refuse to accept someone telling me what the Bible's reason for saying something is without that person providing any justification for their claim.

Ah. I've discussed this rationale with others and it makes quite a bit of sense. Otherwise, there would be no justification for such rules, and if God's rules do not have logical basis, then they cannot be God's rules. Everything has to have rationale behind it. Even God's law.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:24 pm
Matt Pniewski
zz1000zz

Ah. I've discussed this rationale with others and it makes quite a bit of sense. Otherwise, there would be no justification for such rules, and if God's rules do not have logical basis, then they cannot be God's rules. Everything has to have rationale behind it. Even God's law.

The claim you made was silly for the lack of biblical basis alone, but even without that issue it makes no sense. Besides, who said God *has* to use a logical basis? Are you putting restrictions on God?

If you need a reason for that passage, a number of biblical scholars believe the passage was made due to homosexual temple prostitution that was common in the area at that time.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Priestley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:33 pm
zz1000zz
If you need a reason for that passage, a number of biblical scholars believe the passage was made due to homosexual temple prostitution that was common in the area at that time.

Actually, the passage to which Matt was referring is in Leviticus and I'm pretty sure also in Deuteronomy.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:34 pm
zz1000zz
Matt Pniewski
zz1000zz

The claim you made was silly for the lack of biblical basis alone, but even without that issue it makes no sense. Besides, who said God *has* to use a logical basis? Are you putting restrictions on God?

Why wouldn't God have a logical basis for his rules? If he didn't, God would be a fly by night character whose rules were simply whims and prejudices, and served no purpose other than his delight. A loving God would have rationale behind his thoughts.

Everything, by existing alone, has a set of rules it must follow. God, being the creator of everything, is the one who set it that way in the first place.

Quote:

Again, what alone makes homosexuality in this context immoral?

First of all, disease.
Second of all, there would be no procreation.  

Matt Pniewski

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:34 pm
Priestley
zz1000zz

Actually, the passage to which Matt was referring is in Leviticus and I'm pretty sure also in Deuteronomy.

I am well aware.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:38 pm
zz1000zz
Priestley
zz1000zz

I am well aware.

But whenever I see scholars talking about temple prostitution, it's usually in reference to Paul's letters.  

Priestley

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:47 pm
Priestley
zz1000zz
Priestley
zz1000zz

I am well aware.

But whenever I see scholars talking about temple prostitution, it's usually in reference to Paul's letters.

The worshipers of Molech commonly practiced bestiality and male temple prostitution. The passages in Leviticus (and Deuteronomy) were ritual laws of cleanliness, largely existing to distinguish God's followers from the pagans of the times.

It would fit.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:47 pm
zz1000zz
Matt Pniewski
zz1000zz

I've never seen God as being just another taskmaster. I think Matt Pniewski is right in saying that their have to be reasons. My reasoning is a little different, though. The rules God gives us are for our own good. They have good reasons why they were put in place. Also, God is just. Could it be considered just to have put rules in place without a good reson for having them?

However, who really can know the real reasons that God set those rules, unless it specifically says why in the Bible?

Which, I think may be the real point zz1000zz is trying to make.

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:51 pm
Ixor-san
zz1000zz
Matt Pniewski
zz1000zz

I've never seen God as being just another taskmaster. I think He is right in saying that their have to be reasons. My reasoning is a little different, though. The rules God gives us are for our own good. They have good reasons why they were put in place. Also, God is just. Could it be considered just to have put rules in place without a good reson for having them?

However, who really can know the real reasons that God set those rules, unless it specifically says why in the Bible?

I do not think the Bible has to specifically provide a reason, but it should provide the basis for one's understanding of God's reasons. There is nothing in the Bible to indicate the passages were due to "tearing," but there is at least reasonable support to suggest the passages were due to male temple prostitution.

(And really, does anyone believe homosexual sex provides a serious risk of "tearing"?)  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:58 pm
zz1000zz
Ixor-san
zz1000zz
Matt Pniewski
zz1000zz

I've never seen God as being just another taskmaster. I think He is right in saying that their have to be reasons. My reasoning is a little different, though. The rules God gives us are for our own good. They have good reasons why they were put in place. Also, God is just. Could it be considered just to have put rules in place without a good reson for having them?

I do not think the Bible has to specifically provide a reason, but it should provide the basis for one's understanding of God's reasons. There is nothing in the Bible to indicate the passages were due to "tearing," but there is at least reasonable support to suggest the passages were due to male temple prostitution.

(And really, does anyone believe homosexual sex provides a serious risk of "tearing"?)
The Bible doesn't have to provide the reason, but it doesn't mean there isn't one.

Though, I really don't buy that homosexual acts are in any way ok, all of a sudden.

And I wouldn't be terribly surprised if there was a risk of it...
But that's all I'm gonna say on that matter...
ew...>_<

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:05 pm
Ixor-san
ew...>_<

This is the real reason people oppose homosexuality. The "Ew Factor."