Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Great British Music Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 90 91 92 93 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:29 pm
Are 'Interpol' British?

If not, they should be!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:08 pm
illyrianth
MellowYetPsycho

was punk from britain? or the us?

and...couldn't help but notice but...no one's mentioned the clash?

you know...london calling...all that jazz..

Technically the US...~eyes stringedmessenger and makes "harrumphing" noises~ but to be honest, even though it may have possibly taken its first, gasping breaths in the US, it's British now, through and through, no mistake.

In fact, just have to say, any of you British Gaians out there who like Punk, you really ought to come along to the Punks Picnic this summer in Plymouth...it's going to be a great laugh, as usual smile

yeah i read into it. guess it is the US. british punk started i think shortly after we coined the term 'punk' to it. and britain's where alot of the saftey pin/spiky hair style came from too, way back when. still, it makes me kinda sad when everyone remembers sid vicious and johnny rotten, but no one remembers iggy pop. or the mc5.

but, mad props to you guys, because the clash and the pistols are quality! (and various others like the cockney rejects, etc..)  

MellowYetPsycho

LLT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:57 am
MellowYetPsycho
illyrianth
MellowYetPsycho

Technically the US...~eyes stringedmessenger and makes "harrumphing" noises~ but to be honest, even though it may have possibly taken its first, gasping breaths in the US, it's British now, through and through, no mistake.

In fact, just have to say, any of you British Gaians out there who like Punk, you really ought to come along to the Punks Picnic this summer in Plymouth...it's going to be a great laugh, as usual smile

yeah i read into it. guess it is the US. british punk started i think shortly after we coined the term 'punk' to it. and britain's where alot of the saftey pin/spiky hair style came from too, way back when. still, it makes me kinda sad when everyone remembers sid vicious and johnny rotten, but no one remembers iggy pop. or the mc5.

but, mad props to you guys, because the clash and the pistols are quality! (and various others like the cockney rejects, etc..)

How can one not remember Iggypop? He's hideous looking, you can't forget that. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:59 pm
illyrianth
MellowYetPsycho

Yes it did start in the US. (Since I'm from the US, I would know of such things... Anyways) It originated up in the wonderful rainy city of Seattle in the late 80's/ early 90's. Punk/grunge... that's the way it was... *sigh* the good old days, where have thou gone?  

TheLoneBassist46

stringedmessenger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:42 pm
Candy_Matthews46
illyrianth
MellowYetPsycho

Yes it did start in the US. (Since I'm from the US, I would know of such things... Anyways) It originated up in the wonderful rainy city of Seattle in the late 80's/ early 90's. Punk/grunge... that's the way it was... *sigh* the good old days, where have thou gone?

You are 20 years out m'dear... Punk did originate in the US yes but.. "the New York Dolls" formed in 1972 and hooked up with one Malcom McLaren in 1974 who quickly saw the potential of bands with "attitude"... the rest is history. This link has the full story The history of punk smile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:31 pm
stringedmessenger
Candy_Matthews46
illyrianth
MellowYetPsycho

You are 20 years out m'dear... Punk did originate in the US yes but.. "the New York Dolls" formed in 1972 and hooked up with one Malcom McLaren in 1974 who quickly saw the potential of bands with "attitude"... the rest is history. This link has the full story The history of punk smile

Oh, that is true... Sorry, I was thinking of the grunge era, not punk... So many americans often confuse grunge with punk. It's horrible... I even condemn myself for it... sweatdrop xd  

TheLoneBassist46

MellowYetPsycho

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:58 pm
actually, it started in the late sixties.

what about the song '1969'?

and the MC5 were before the stooges.

the dolls came a bit later on.

and legs mcneil even considers the velvet underground to have been punk.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:07 pm
LLT

How can one not remember Iggypop? He's hideous looking, you can't forget that. xd

hahaha. true, but i know alot more people who remember sid. there's quite a few people that have no idea who iggy is. over here, anyway.

"Their first drummer died from an overdose in London in 72" actually, billy murcia from the new york dolls died at some party in london that some kids were putting on. he started turning blue, so your londoners there put him in a bathtub and turned on the water and he drowned. doctors said he would have lived.  

MellowYetPsycho

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:27 pm
Anyone like The Kinks?

I'm listening to Lola right now.

(I guess this is the closest you can get to necroing in GBG.)  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:38 am
Invictus: No, interpol are from New York. I think it comes across a lot in their sound.  

davidcrossfan06

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:15 pm
Bugger, looks like I just lost my excuse for waxing lyrical..  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:22 pm
Invictus_88
Bugger, looks like I just lost my excuse for waxing lyrical..

xp Foiled again.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Tailos-teichou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:27 pm
whapcapn
Anyone like The Kinks?

Holy...! The Kinks... cripes, that's a trip there. Awesome band, awesome songs.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:02 am
Tailos
whapcapn
Anyone like The Kinks?

Hee hee, yes indeed.
I love Apeman...  

Boolean Julian
Crew

stringedmessenger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:27 am
whapcapn
Tailos
whapcapn
Anyone like The Kinks?

Hee hee, yes indeed.
I love Apeman...

Scary thing is... Ray Davis can still pull it off, if you remember the Party at the Palace concert. All the oldies rocked out "LIVE" for the last 45. .... Will the same be said of Atomic Kitten, I think not xd  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 90 91 92 93 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff