Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Great British Film Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 17 18 19 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gaulia

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:39 pm
Silver_TinkerBell
I love British love-story films! ^^ they're soooo cool ^^

COLLIN FIRTH

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.  
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:44 am
Erix Griffon
Nebelstern
Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. Now wasn't THAT a good film? sweatdrop

No. It really wasn't.

It was a massacre.

I was prepared for the fact that lots of the most classic dialogue yet written would have to go. But I don't think they can square cutting out quite as much as they did with the vast tracks of new, pointless, nonsensical unfunny material they added.

The casting was nigh on perfect, I'll give them that.

But they utterly changed the entire focus of the film. As a film in its own right, it wasn't bad. As an adaptation of the book, it was terrible. Adding a love story was nothing short of standing there with a big pot of Hollywood Paint and a large brush, and just slopping it over everything.

You can't really complain about the changing of the plot. After al, remember that the books, the TV series, radio series, game and bath towel are all deeply contradictory to one another. It's very likely that the changes to the plot were actually planned by Douglas Adams. However, I haven't seen the film yet and so I won't comment on the quality of it...  

Boolean Julian
Crew

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:52 am
and_solo_said
I just saw The Phantom Of The Opera. BRILLIANT film....Though the Nightwish version of the opening score is far superior to the original 1980s version

I'm a fan of the musical, and I've not seen the film. >_>

Anyway, the "Phantom of the Opera" piece Nightwish covered is in the middle of the story (or, that is where it is sung); I don't know how they put the film together. Still great musical.  
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:34 am
Did anyone watch the top 100 war films thing a few days ago?  

Invictus_88
Captain

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:37 am
Invictus_88
Did anyone watch the top 100 war films thing a few days ago?

No, but what was the top five?  
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:43 am
1) Saving Private Ryan. (No way, not in my book.)

2) Apocalypse Now. (Maybe, never seen it.)

3) The Great Escape. (Ohyes!)

4) Schindler's List. (Well deserved.)

5) Full Metal Jacket. (Never seen, no comment.)

...Still, top ten included my two favourites. Zulu, and Bridge on the River Kwai.

biggrin heart

Invictus_88
Captain

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:55 am
1) To be expected I guess. It was okay, it was not a bad film, and it did put forward a less glamorous version of war compared with other films at the time.
2) I have seen it. It is a great film, containing the greatest cameo in a film (Duvall's Kilgore)
3) Again, great film.
4) I've not seen, so I cannot comment.
5) Again, not seen, I ought to have done so... but it is held in high regard.

Zulu... I love that film when I'm in the mood for it, but it can bore me to death if I'm not.  
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:35 am
whapcapn
Erix Griffon
Nebelstern

No. It really wasn't.

It was a massacre.

I was prepared for the fact that lots of the most classic dialogue yet written would have to go. But I don't think they can square cutting out quite as much as they did with the vast tracks of new, pointless, nonsensical unfunny material they added.

But they utterly changed the entire focus of the film. As a film in its own right, it wasn't bad. As an adaptation of the book, it was terrible. Adding a love story was nothing short of standing there with a big pot of Hollywood Paint and a large brush, and just slopping it over everything.

You can't really complain about the changing of the plot. After al, remember that the books, the TV series, radio series, game and bath towel are all deeply contradictory to one another. It's very likely that the changes to the plot were actually planned by Douglas Adams. However, I haven't seen the film yet and so I won't comment on the quality of it...

The original is on Radio4 right now..  

Invictus_88
Captain

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:02 am
Invictus_88
whapcapn

The original is on Radio4 right now..

Apparently, they're re-running the television series too.  
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:15 pm
whapcapn
Erix Griffon
Nebelstern

No. It really wasn't.

It was a massacre.

I have a book.In the foreword he said that that version was the one he choose as to have the "real" plot. It had love in it. I think that was the 4th book. But I havent seen the film so I dont know whether its the right girl. Ive forgotten the name of his true love but she game from earth(alternative dimension, one in which the earth isnt destroyed(at least at that point)) He went flying with her. Made love in the clouds, that sort of thing. He did have a kid with Trillian. But you she only comes into the story in the last book.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:27 pm
ice_illusion
whapcapn
Erix Griffon
Nebelstern

No. It really wasn't.

It was a massacre.

I have a book.In the foreword he said that that version was the one he choose as to have the "real" plot. It had love in it. I think that was the 4th book. But I havent seen the film so I dont know whether its the right girl. Ive forgotten the name of his true love but she game from earth(alternative dimension, one in which the earth isnt destroyed(at least at that point)) He went flying with her. Made love in the clouds, that sort of thing. He did have a kid with Trillian. But you she only comes into the story in the last book.[/quote
That's the fourth book, So Long And Thanks For All The Fish. Girl was Fenchurch (conceived in the ticket queue int Fenchurch station). And yes they made love in the clouds. And Trillian did have his kid in Mostly Harmless, but that was only from a sperm bank. (Arthur donated sperm to help pay travel fees.)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:00 pm
whapcapn

I can, and will.

Yes, undoubtedly there were changes made that Adams agreed with. But remember that the film's production had been delayed for years while the production team and Adams argued. Then when he died, the film production started firing on all cylinders.

There were changes made for TV and so on, but none of them were this dramatic, and none of them changed the overal character and point of the story quite as much. See the film, you'll know what I mean.  

Days of Empire

Mega Genius

7,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

boy_no_13

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:44 am
Should I see Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy or wait until I have reread the book? i read it when I was about 8, so I cant really remember very much of it, but I have a feeling that if I read the book first it will make me hate the movie.
I dont really like that many British movies, I hate most love stories and dont get that much British comedy, but one of my favorite movies ever is Velvet Goldmine- made by Film4 and sponsered by the Guardian!  
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:52 am
the book is really good and the movie is really good, but you don't have to read the book to understand the movie. so go see it.

in the forward of my copy, it basically says that he doesn't care that the radio show and the books and the movies all contrdict each other, and not to be surprised when you find out that they do.

although, alot of people have said that Zaphod is ALOT funnier in the book than in anything else. i think they did marvin quite well.

Edit: all i hear about anymore is people making reviews about how so many films are horrible. standards are getting way too high, but at the same time the worst movies are being made and they're so bad that no one even bothers to say it. what is with that? then they go say that since the time sequencing was off or they left parts out the movie isnt worth watching. well of course they aren't going to make it exactly the same. if they did it'd be well over three hours long!  

MellowYetPsycho

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:24 am
Fourcolour
What do the people of Britain think to Batman Begins.

Expect my review on the morrow.

Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 17 18 19 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces