Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Animist? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:28 am
Koravin
I don't think you can break a soul. Could be wrong, it just doesn't seem possible to me, physically anyway.

Everything I have experienced, to date, tells me otherwise.

Koravin
Ooh, that seems very wrong to me. I could not do that to another being, it goes against my nature.

Binding any being into bondage evokes the same response from me.
The history of my People, the lessons of my family, everything about me finds it the most detestable action conceivable.  
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:38 am
CuAnnan
Koravin
I don't think you can break a soul. Could be wrong, it just doesn't seem possible to me, physically anyway.

In my experience it happens.  

MoonJeli

Koravin

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:40 pm
MoonJeli
CuAnnan
Koravin

In my experience it happens.
How exactly? Are we talking about when something horribly traumatic happens to someone, and they just never recover? How can a spirit be broken? Can you fix it?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
In Vilturj, which is a shamanic (for lack of a better word) tradition of some kind; it is believed everything has at least one soul, but often more.
They believe that parts of these souls can be fractured, damaged or stolen and it is the job of the 'shaman' to find the pieces, for a more complete soul is better.

Certain types of soul fragment easier than others, due to things like extreme trauma.

..Just thought it was interesting and slightly relevant. sweatdrop  

patch99329

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:32 am
Koravin
How exactly?

I am not going to tell you the mechanism I would use to effect such a thing.
There are people here who would know the words, but the words in and of themselves are merely the vocal component of a much more complicated concept.
But, if I were going to do it, it would be through a Working

Koravin
Are we talking about when something horribly traumatic happens to someone, and they just never recover?

That's most probably going to destroy the mind. Not the soul

Koravin
How can a spirit be broken?

Repeated deaths in one life time, tampering with magic that you don't understand, tampering with entities you don't understand, tampering with treewalkers on a bad day.

Koravin
Can you fix it?

Can I personally fix a soul?
That's a tough one to answer. I'd never try. I'd instantly red-flag it for higher attention and let Annan deal with it. She's the shriver of souls, I'm just a shriver of people.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:12 am
patch99329
In Vilturj, which is a shamanic (for lack of a better word) tradition of some kind; it is believed everything has at least one soul, but often more.
They believe that parts of these souls can be fractured, damaged or stolen and it is the job of the 'shaman' to find the pieces, for a more complete soul is better.

Certain types of soul fragment easier than others, due to things like extreme trauma.

..Just thought it was interesting and slightly relevant. sweatdrop

Asatru has multiple souls, too, including some (like hamingja) which travel down the family line and are primarily held by the matriarch/patriarch. My mom's going to hold the Hamingja when grandma goes to join grandpa, which amuses me to no end, and then my brother will hold it when mom goes. I hope when grandma goes she decides to not become a disir (female ancestral spirit), though; she's a bit judgemental for making the family quite comfortable and seeing to our luck. She is practical, though, so maybe i'm too hasty.

I think not having one, inviolable soul is common in pre-Christian religions, but I'll admit to not having a representative sample to base that on.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

MoonJeli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:04 pm
CuAnnan
Koravin
Are we talking about when something horribly traumatic happens to someone, and they just never recover?

That's most probably going to destroy the mind. Not the soul

I'd say most of the time that it's true, typical physical and psychological damage affects the mind and not soul. However, I do think that strategically placed trauma, or trauma while a person is in certain states, could lead to damage to a soul.

My path was heavily influenced by dreamwork, trance, meditation and journeying; in theory souls can be damaged through magic, in other worlds, and so on. It's not always an outside malevolent force -- it can be meddling with things outside of one's abilities, trespassing, or just an accident.

My experience is not that of one, individual, eternal soul.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:46 pm
Sometimes I feel like I have two souls in me, but I really think it's only one. I don't know if I'm convinced that you can fracture a soul, but changing it seems well within the realm of possibility. I think the mind is simply the melding of soul and body, the expression of the soul through the matrix of the brain. I think our experiences in every life affect our spirits, but I'm not sure if I would say damage them.

And Cu, you answered my question just fine. I don't need a how to instruction book on breaking souls, you answered that question just great.  

Koravin

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:36 pm
Koravin
And Cu, you answered my question just fine. I don't need a how to instruction book on breaking souls, you answered that question just great.

And here was me going to recomend Silver Ravenwolf's "To {verb} an {adjective} {noun"}, she forgot to apply the template for that volume.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:05 am
CuAnnan
Koravin

And here was me going to recomend Silver Ravenwolf's "To {verb} an {adjective} {noun"}, she forgot to apply the template for that volume.
lol  

Koravin

patch99329

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:05 pm
CuAnnan
Koravin

Win. xd  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:27 pm
Though I've always been an animist, I've never really had a name for that belief. Since I was young, I've always talked to inanimate objects such as stuffed animals, electronics, imaginary friends, etc. And, of course, my family always looked at me funny and would ask, "They talking back yet?" I feel, emotionally, rather than think, that such things have spiritually energy, or in more modern terms, a spirit. These things do seem like they have personality and life to me, so I treat them as if they do.

Xayim XVI

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:39 pm
MissDracoMalfoy1993
I've always talked to inanimate objects such as stuffed animals, electronics, imaginary friends, etc.
Bolded isn't always a function of Animism.
Quote:

And, of course, my family always looked at me funny and would ask, "They talking back yet?"
Did they?
Quote:

I feel, emotionally, rather than think, that such things have spiritually energy, or in more modern terms, a spirit.
Why is it that "spirit" is the more modern term?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:55 pm
I was rambling... sweatdrop

Not with words. Err...how to explain it...I've always felt a sort of connection with these objects spiritually, and instead of communicating per-say, I knew by instinct what certain objects...felt. If that makes sense. That's the only way I can put it into words.

Again, rambling. Once I start typing, my writing instinct comes out and I tend to be a bit over dramatic.

Xayim XVI

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:40 pm
MissDracoMalfoy1993

Not with words. Err...how to explain it...I've always felt a sort of connection with these objects spiritually, and instead of communicating per-say, I knew by instinct what certain objects...felt. If that makes sense. That's the only way I can put it into words.
It makes sense. How do you know that what you are doing isn't projection?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff