Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
Vena -- Open Redline/Critique Thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:41 am
sure, go for it! Just have a whole bg that goes to the edge of the canvas/paper.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:15 pm
http://syrellium.deviantart.com/art/Feet-1-146763139
http://syrellium.deviantart.com/art/Feet-2-146763353
http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee320/jibrienne/?action=view¤t=feetphoto.png {ref]

Hey again, I did two sketches so far... XD I'm not sure which one came out better (if either), but here we go. Will these be sufficient or should I draw something else?  

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:12 pm
Yeah, those are looking good! Either of them would be great I think =)  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:27 pm
Hello! Sorry I haven't stopped by for a while! I hurt my shoulder a bit ago, so drawing has been a painful experience. I'm planing on seeing a doctor within the next week; I'll let you know what's going after that.  

Murkytea

Invisible Gekko

8,275 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Invisibility 100

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:15 pm
Oh no! I wish you a speedy recovery =(  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:29 am
Feel better!! I hope you're able to draw again soon!  

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100

Murkytea

Invisible Gekko

8,275 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:04 pm
Okay, so I haven't been able to see a doctor. Every time I go there is a three hour waiting line. I don't have that kind of time to waste.
Seems like it's gotten a bit better on it's own though, so drawing is not nearly as painful as when my shoulder started paining me. I should be back in the game soon!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:37 pm
how are you guys doing? I haven't been around much because of schoolwork and etc, but still checking back every once in a while.  

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:59 pm
Hey Vena C: It's been busy here too, so don't worry. I am well. Hope you are too. :3

Good luck with all your classes and the like. <3  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:54 pm
Hey all,

I think I am going to change this thread up a bit to adapt with when I'm online and etc. I'm going to drop having mentees and just make it an open redline thread since its something I think I can give better feedback to. So if you have specific images you want feedback on I can either redline them or crit, or both smile  

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Yamiko

Shy Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:54 pm
Hello Vena!

I have some WIPs I'm working on which need some feedback.
WIP 1 takes priority because I've been owing this request to someone for a rather long time.
Here's some direct links to the WIPs

WIP 1
WIP 2

Thank you in advance. ;_;  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:16 pm
User Image

The first thing I noticed is that since he has his hand raise foreward (nice hand by the way! And you did a good job on the foreshortening) is that his upper torso is going to be twisting slightly, or if anything, he is at a 3/4 view. So his shoulder was appearing at a frontal view. You need some dimension on his shoulder to show it is going foreward with the forearm. His thumb could be slightly longer.

For his arm further back, it should taper (also because it is going back into perspective, so maybe a bit more dramatically depending on what effect you want).

His head is too small (gotta fit those brains in somewhere) a good way to indicate head size is if you draw the face first - the eyes are in the midline of the head. Trust me - it feels weird at first, feeling like drawing the head too big - but the eyes are in the middle of the head.

Even though his legs are ending offscreen, sometimes its better to sketch where they would go then crop it after. Right now his legs appear to be one constant size when they should taper (even with baggy pants there will be a slight taper) into the knee. He is also standing a bit wide legged for a strong stance.

I hope that isn't too nitpicky, its looking good already! Good luck and hope this helps.  

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:47 pm
User Image

I redlined the perspective of his legs here according to how I think it would go with his torso - though this is really something of personal taste, it depends how dramatic you want that look in perspective. if you are having trouble figuring out the perspective it can help to draw a box around it and footprints for where you want the stance, then draw the head and hips and piece it together.

his right arm could be raised a bit - to give it more of a reflective look of the other arm. Both hands could be more of a profile (where the fingers will look a bit higher up) his fingers would point more towards the hood when gesturing to take it off.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:50 pm
Thanks for the feedback! It's not nitpicky at all and it's been very helpful! :3

I forgot that the eyes are positioned midline of the head for some reason. Thanks for reminding me. I'm really afraid of tapering his arm at the moment. I'll work on that next.

So far I fixed his head and his legs and in the process, the drawing got more complex.

lol. I am so not used to drawing piles of beat up people.
It's hard to draw them so they don't take more attention than the main person of focus.
Now I feel obligated to draw some sort of fitting background. OTL It's good practice though.

I just gotta figure out how to make the composition fitting with the background.

WIP 1 rework as of 4/29

I gotta work on WIP 2 once I'm just about done with WIP 1, thanks for the tips!  

Yamiko

Shy Lunatic

Anadalya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:38 pm
User Image
Um, hi! I'm new to guilds and such so please bear with my awkwardness!! biggrin I don't think I should be a mentee because I don't have much time to dedicate myself to it. But I would like some critique on some of my drawings, if you don't mind! sweatdrop This is Headstone from one of my books, a drawing I did for a contest. He was a bit rushed, so was not as good as I had imagined... Can you help me see what went wrong?  
Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff