Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Extended Discussion
cutting... what you think about it Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

~:[I Heart Maury]:~

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:46 pm
Cutting... Ive always pondered the idea. Ive wanted to try it just to feel a bit of pain that many, many, other people are feeling. I have a friend who used to cut. She has three long scars going down her arms.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:55 pm
Never was into it, and I try to stop a friend from doing it if they say they want to, or just stop. It's not a good thing to do. I tried it before, and didn't help me, so I stopped. I don't have anything against some of the people who do it with reason, but don't like it when people brag about it, show it off, and announce they have to go to the school councelor over it. If you wanna cut, more power to ya', but if you're throwing the info about, and it's over such trivial things, do me a favor and stfu. wink  

Zephier

Jasta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:15 am
I was a serious cutter for a long time... I have scars down my thighs, my wrists, my arms, eveywhere... I used to use glass, knives, razors... anything I could get my hands on.

The thing is, a lot of the time it is a yell for help.. and a lot of people don't realise. If the kids at school find out, they get weird - they ask to see, and then they talk about you behind your back, which, if you're miserable already, just makes your life all the more s**t. I've stopped cutting a lot since leaving school...

The main problem is, I've started again sweatdrop Because my doctors in the area don't take you seriously unless you have serios cutting to prove to them that you need help. I've started ODing on pills and stuff, not a whole lot, just enough to make me throw up.. and started playing with knives again. I don't really want to start up - it does become a habit, and I was cutting for 5 years before I was able to stop... But I don't know what else to do. I need the help, but it seems I have to be dying before I'll get it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:08 pm
I was a cutter for a while. I have scars on both sides of my wrists, my stomach and calves. I still think about cutting, it's always on of the thoughts in the back of my head. Only three of my friends know I used to cut, and only one knows I still think about it.
The epiphany that made me stop was finally realizing that there are other people out there with worse problems than mine, and that my problems, were quite pathetic and not really problems at all. Actually I think I just out grew cutting. I put my anger, pain, frustration towards my writting and drawing now. I just put on some music and write/draw it all out, and that works for me. It also helps that I have a bf who is always there to listen to me whine/b***h about my stupid worries and insignificant problems.  

LittleCherryPi

Kupo Ikari

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:23 pm
Ah, cutting. I don't see what the big deal is here. If you cut, and people find out, you are automatically sent to see a psychiatrist or a couselor. You're labeled as suicidal and insane. How does that work?

I am not suicidal. I used to be at one point, but that was at a low time in my life where I wasn't mentally strong enough so I hid behind a knife. I was a coward, that was my excuse then.

But now I am not suicidal, I love life! But I still cut. I don't cut deep, I cut just enough for it to bleed a bit, but it's not deep at all. I use a nice sanitary razor (only sharp, dull razor=no no) and I cut. My reasons for cutting? Well...

1.) Sometimes, when life is going so good, and I'm getting up high and happy and everything. I need to cut, to cut myself back down to size. It prevents me from becoming full of myself and shows me that I am still only human.
2.) I get bored. I know it's a bad excuse, but if I get bored, I will cut myself.
3.) I like the color of blood. The color that blood is triggers something in my mind and insantly soothes me. So if I'm having a panic attack, or something like that, most likely due to stress, I will cut myself to see the blood and calm down.
4.) I like pain. Simple as that. I mean, I like pain to an extent. I'm not stupid, I actually HATE pain. But I like to have pain everyonce in awhile so I know I'm alive, and that I know pain still exists.

I have some scars on my arms, higher up mind you. I keep them near the crook of my elbow and higher... They're easier to hide. I have some on my legs to. Now, I don't believe in hiding your scars from cutting. I think that if you were brave enough to put them there, you should be brave enough to show them. That's how I usualy am, but if you go to my school, you KNOW what happens. Someone will spot your scars, make a fuss. You get called down to the counselors office, they call your parents. Your parents find out and you get sent to a psychiatrist, ordered by the school. The psychiatrists says you need to go to a mental institution or a rehab center until you no longer wish to cut yourself. So for 3 month you're stuck in some stupid institution until you just give up and you leave. You pretty much run away and go and live on your own for awhile until you finally go back to your parents. they don't bother you about it..... until the NEXT time the school sees your scars.

And yes, that has happened to me before. Gotta love parents and schools... They suck... They suck more than a gay vampyre....

But yes, my long rant is over! *salutes*  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:52 pm
KupoWrath
Ah, cutting. I don't see what the big deal is here. If you cut, and people find out, you are automatically sent to see a psychiatrist or a couselor.

Not always true my idealistic friend, maybe in your world someone cares enough to make you go. maybe you were at your school enough for them to be noticed, yours seemed to be a cry for attention anyways. IF you want to show off your personal way to fix things then it called a cry for help. Don't call someone a cowards just because they cut where no one can see it. and anyone can outsmart a shrink, all you have to do is avoid topics and make up multiple valid reasons for having so many scars. that's what i did. i blamed bad desks at schoon and accidents at work. and then if you don't tell the phsychiatrist the truth, they have no valid reason to put you into a mental institution because there is no evidence for it. i pity you if you flaunt your scars and then hate what comes from it.

[Edit a note. I apologixe for this post, it was made in a bad mood and it's a very touchy subject. none of it was inteded as an attack against you. i apologize again. i don't believe in deleteing bad posts, we can learn from our mistakes]  

Dr_lecter1988
Crew

Kupo Ikari

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:47 pm
Dr_lecter1988
KupoWrath
Ah, cutting. I don't see what the big deal is here. If you cut, and people find out, you are automatically sent to see a psychiatrist or a couselor.

Not always true my idealistic friend, maybe in your world someone cares enough to make you go. maybe you were at your school enough for them to be noticed, yours seemed to be a cry for attention anyways. IF you want to show off your personal way to fix things then it called a cry for help. Don't call someone a cowards just because they cut where no one can see it. and anyone can outsmart a shrink, all you have to do is avoid topics and make up multiple valid reasons for having so many scars. that's what i did. i blamed bad desks at schoon and accidents at work. and then if you don't tell the phsychiatrist the truth, they have no valid reason to put you into a mental institution because there is no evidence for it. i pity you if you flaunt your scars and then hate what comes from it.

[Edit a note. I apologixe for this post, it was made in a bad mood and it's a very touchy subject. none of it was inteded as an attack against you. i apologize again. i don't believe in deleteing bad posts, we can learn from our mistakes]

I see... well.. I didn't mean that I 'flaunted' my scars. I just don't care if people see them or not. I'm not going to go out of my way to keep them hidden. What's the point? Also, I know you can outsmart a psychiatrist. I do all the time. But it's when my parents step in. They SAY I have issues and that THEY want me to go somewhere for it. Personally I think I'm about as normal as I'm ever going to be, and people just need to realize that. Besides... The institution wasn't that bad, the people there are horribly interesting. Why do you think I stayed for 3 months? lol

Also, don't worry. I didn't take any of your comment as an attack against me. ^_^ I'm glad to know your opinion. This IS in the 'extended discussion' We're all mature enough.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:16 pm
I am a former cutter. I started my freshman year of college in 2002 and finally realised that I had a problem in April of 2005 (I maimed my arm with a total of 68 cuts on it...ouch). I've slipped a couple of times since I decided to quit all together, and it's been a rough and rocky road, but I'm surviving it. Cutting is very much an addiction regardless of what anyone else says. When you've been down the same road I have where you're cutting every other day because it's the only thing that is keeping you sane, you realise just how much it has a hold on you.

I sat myself down last month and decided that I was going to pinpoint the emotions/situations that caused me to cut so that I could therefore avoid those situations or redirect that energy into something more constructive. I ended up having four main reasons:

Sadness- It was a release of sadness that was built up inside me and I used cutting as a way to get all the crap out of me. By cutting I felt better, but it was only temporary cause I had to do it again and again whenever I felt bad.

Anger - I knew sometimes I had cut because I'd done something or said something extremely idiotic or wrong and therefore I had to be punished.

To feel alive - Alot of times I cut wasn't just because I felt sick inside, I also needed to feel the pain so I knew I was still somewhat alive inside, so I knew my soul hadn't died somewhere along the twisted path I walk.

Control issues - In relationships I'm the submissive type, but with cutting (and with starving myself) I had some kind of control over myself and that control felt good. However what started out as being in control quickly became out of control.

I've used the red marker trick instead of cutting and I know that one or two slashes doesn't work. I have to have more and more before I'm satisfied. Then again it could have just been that day. I'm not sure as I haven't used the red marker since. I've taken to doing something else when I get the urge to cut, like beating on my pillow with my drumsticks or going for a walk or even just talking the emotions out with my fiance.

I really do urge anyone who struggles with it to get some type of help, whether it's just from friends or family or from a professional. It's not stomething you need to go through alone, or struggle with alone. It's not something to do cause you want to feel popular, it's an addiction, it's an illness.

Raze Krieger

Luna_Winter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:44 pm
I used to be a cutter and then my boyfriend helped me quit. Now I feel like I don't need to anymore. I don't mind if you do it, just don't get to extreme and kill yourself.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:33 pm
raze_allender

I really do urge anyone who struggles with it to get some type of help, whether it's just from friends or family or from a professional. It's not stomething you need to go through alone, or struggle with alone. It's not something to do cause you want to feel popular, it's an addiction, it's an illness.

...I personally don't think that cutting is an 'illness'. I'm not addicted to it. I do think that behind ALL addictions, there's a mentality thing going on. I have only ever been addicted to one thing, and that's anime. I can't live without it, and that's because I tell myself "oooo! anime! Must have!"

Addiction is just what YOU think you need. That's how it starts. It's a mind over matter thing. That's why I don't really believe in addictions, or that cutting is an addiction thing or even a problem. It is if you make it that. But that's all.

Kupo Ikari

Raze Krieger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:42 am
KupoWrath
raze_allender

...I personally don't think that cutting is an 'illness'. I'm not addicted to it. I do think that behind ALL addictions, there's a mentality thing going on. I have only ever been addicted to one thing, and that's anime. I can't live without it, and that's because I tell myself "oooo! anime! Must have!"

Addiction is just what YOU think you need. That's how it starts. It's a mind over matter thing. That's why I don't really believe in addictions, or that cutting is an addiction thing or even a problem. It is if you make it that. But that's all.

Making slashes into your skin with a razorblade or other sharp object is not a problem? And people think I"m messed up in the head.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:06 am
raze_allender
KupoWrath
raze_allender

Making slashes into your skin with a razorblade or other sharp object is not a problem? And people think I"m messed up in the head.

No, it's not. It's not a problem unil you PERCIEVE it as such. All it really is is an outlet for some people. Most people who cut would probably be doing worse things if they weren't cutting. And other people'll probably be the same exact way they are, just without the scars.

Besides... Cutting is only a 'problem' for poser cutters. The people that start doing it because they think that it's cool,a nd everyone else is doing it. They cut too deep, or in the wrong places.

Kupo Ikari

Raze Krieger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:23 pm
KupoWrath
raze_allender
KupoWrath
raze_allender

No, it's not. It's not a problem unil you PERCIEVE it as such. All it really is is an outlet for some people. Most people who cut would probably be doing worse things if they weren't cutting. And other people'll probably be the same exact way they are, just without the scars.

Besides... Cutting is only a 'problem' for poser cutters. The people that start doing it because they think that it's cool,a nd everyone else is doing it. They cut too deep, or in the wrong places.

I didn't start because it was "cool". In fact I knew of no one else who cut, still don't, none of my friends do it. The reason I started in the first place was I was having a depressive episode (I have bipolar disorder) and there was a lot of stress from school because I was taking a full course load at college and then there was my parents who were breathing down my back to do well (which I wasn't). So I cut for the first time with a piece of broken mirror.

I have never made deep cuts. All of mine have been surface cuts except for two, my upside down cross and my upside down star, both of which were done purposefully as an expression. I never cut in the wrong places either. Except for one time, all my cuts have been down around my ankles because I never wear shorts, and rarely skirts, so no one could see the cuts, and now no one sees the scars, unless I show them.

It's like my friend Michael said: "People who cut are weak. Think about it, if you were strong would you need to cut?" He said that to me last month when I told him that I was recovering from cutting. It was a big wake up call for me because the fact of the matter was, I used to be strong. I used to be very strong, and I know that my fiance sees the fire that is still in me, just buried under all the logs that are my big issues (my rape, my ex husband, the verbal abuse and psychological abuse from my parents, my bipolar, the molestation of my by one of my grandfathers), and he's willing to help me remove all those logs so that I can be the strong person I once was. Hell Michael, Steven, and Bobbert, want to see me be the strong person I once was too. And the first step towards this, is to just stop the s**t and quit cutting. There are better ways to deal with those types of emotions than by cutting. I've learned (and am still learning) that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:46 am
raze_allender
Its good that you understand that cutting is not the answer and are now trying to do some thing about it. Your post there is a bit personal but it proves your point.

Both sides have made a very good point also with good arguments also. So before this becomes a flame war I'm asking you both to take a breath and try to look at it from the other persons view. Your both kick a** people in the guild but remember that the "Got Goth?" guild was built on tolerance and open minds.  

darkXmoon

Kupo Ikari

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:57 pm
Well... DarkxMoon is right. We both have our own opinions, and they are both valid ones at that. I see where your thoughts are coming from, and I apologize for being my normal stubborn self ^^;; I will still stand by my own views. I will continue to cut until I wake up one day and decide that I don't want to anymore.

Also, I've had just as many problems as you, but I've pushed them behind me. I don't believe in wallowing in the past. I'm not saying that we need to forget the past, because if you forget, history repeats itself.

Great job in overcoming all that you have. I'm proud of you, but you don't need my... Proud...ness... of you. That made no sense, but you know what I mean. I don't think people who cut are weak, they are just misunderstood.

Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff