Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Best things you can ever say as a Pagan Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:58 am
I like the Havamal. Which more Asatru I knew would use it instead of that Nine Nobel Vitues crap (they fail at that too however).

Anyway- I read it as Boasts are fine and good as long as you can back it up.

What is your take on that Godhi?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:01 pm
Kuroiban
jaden kendam
Then just watch people. Watching is a good tool as well. You do not always have to use your voice to make yourself heard. Although, if you are dealing with people that are bastardizing your faith system, sometimes it helps to be heard with a voice as well as actions and thoughts.

I got most of what I thought, at the time, was life experience thru watching others and their actions. I learned, in time, that it was no substitute for action.

Which isn't to say that watching doesn't play it's part. Rather that it is not a suitable substitute for real life experience.

Yeah, it is kind of both. Action and watching. As spirit sometimes says to people, "shut up and listen, then you can teach others." Harsh, yes, but a lot better than to sugar coat what spirit says to people.  

jaden kendam

Kalyani Srijoi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:06 pm
"A spell? Why the hell would I use a spell in this situation when the mundane solution is so obvious, simple, and sure?"  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:29 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Seen on dot_pagan_snark.  

TheDisreputableDog

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:27 pm
TeaDidikai
However- all the cultures I know of expect Skill within said Boasts and Toasts.

In my experience, boasts are things you've accomplished. I will most likely boast about returning to grad school at Yule this year, for example.

Hubris is an entirely different thing. The idea of hubris is that it is out of balance with reality. The out of balance is the problem, not the pride itself.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:16 am
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai

In my experience, boasts are things you've accomplished. I will most likely boast about returning to grad school at Yule this year, for example.

Hubris is an entirely different thing. The idea of hubris is that it is out of balance with reality. The out of balance is the problem, not the pride itself.
Hence the "back it up thing" I think.

I also note that if you are going to take part in such, you're expected to be eloquent- to some extent.  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:25 am
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai

I also note that if you are going to take part in such, you're expected to be eloquent- to some extent.

Poetic, even. Assonance and rhythm are very important. I've been listening to a lot of spoken word poetry to try to pick up some skill.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:25 am
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai

Poetic, even. Assonance and rhythm are very important. I've been listening to a lot of spoken word poetry to try to pick up some skill.

A fair bit of it is breath and tongue position.

Do you know how to breath into your belly?  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:12 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

whee I'm a briefly classically trained mezzo soprano. ^^

It's more the attitude and rhythm than breath control - though my breath control could use some serious work. It's also a certain amount of memorization and familiarity with both the lore and the myriad kennings, as well as some kennings of my own (one could, and I would, argue that when I call Odin my old man, it is a kenning).  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:32 pm
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

whee I'm a briefly classically trained mezzo soprano. ^^

It's more the attitude and rhythm than breath control - though my breath control could use some serious work. It's also a certain amount of memorization and familiarity with both the lore and the myriad kennings, as well as some kennings of my own (one could, and I would, argue that when I call Odin my old man, it is a kenning).
Kennings are fun.

I hope you include one referencing being the sane one at ReCon. :squee:  

TeaDidikai

Celtic of the Fae

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:26 am
Christmas may not be a religious holiday, but there's always Yule. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:31 am
Dark Angel Kio
Christmas may not be a religious holiday, but there's always Yule. smile
Perhaps.

I would be more inclined to note that just because Christmas is not a religious holiday does not mean we have to remove ourselves from meaningful family traditions- and that not all pagans celebrate Yule.  

TeaDidikai

PenguinSeppuku

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:50 pm
If there's any thread a lurker like me can be guilted into contributing to, it's one like this.

So my addition?

Best things you can ever say as a Pagan
"Why?"

Too many of us convert to a pagan path or religion and promptly stop asking it.

I give you a gracious bump, constructive thread!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:36 pm
PenguinSeppuku
If there's any thread a lurker like me can be guilted into contributing to, it's one like this.

So my addition?

Best things you can ever say as a Pagan
"Why?"

Too many of us convert to a pagan path or religion and promptly stop asking it.

I give you a gracious bump, constructive thread!
Brava!  

TeaDidikai

Haloquine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:59 pm

I like this thread!

On a possibly slightly different tack...
Things I wish I'd been told when I started;

~The more paths you learn about, even if you don't plan on following them, the better your understanding and practice will become.

~ No matter how much you know, you can always learn more.

~ Read critically.

~ Follow your intuition... and use your brain.

~ It has to feel right for you. Period.

~ Your beliefs will change with time... this is good.

~ A daily practice is hard to master, but essential for good magical practice, get it started now.

~ Always relax.

Oh, yeah, and:
~'Wicca' does not mean 'Witchcraft', they are not the same, whatever what you read says.

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff