Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
This is a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 74 75 76 77 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Collowrath

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:06 pm
whiporwill-o
without further exploring it, the best i can do is. i don't believe that god and jesus are the same being.

Ah. Yeah, it can be a pretty exhausting subject. biggrin For what it's worth, the mainline interpretation is that they are indeed three distinct Persons, so YHVH and Jesus aren't the same. Different Persons, same Substance.

I'm still wrapping my head around it a little - but I guess that's just one of the Mysteries.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:12 pm
Collowrath
whiporwill-o
without further exploring it, the best i can do is. i don't believe that god and jesus are the same being.

Ah. Yeah, it can be a pretty exhausting subject. biggrin For what it's worth, the mainline interpretation is that they are indeed three distinct Persons, so YHVH and Jesus aren't the same. Different Persons, same Substance.

I'm still wrapping my head around it a little - but I guess that's just one of the Mysteries.

gonk

my head hurts. emo  

whiporwill-o

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:13 pm
Taliah
whiporwill-o
another stupid question, since i think i'm the only person here who doesnt get it... what is 666.5?

It means that you missed the reference stated, or that you have missed the joke.

Whited out, just in case some people would rather puzzle it out for whatever reason.

OOOOoooohhhh... no wonder i didnt get it. i'm so dense at times. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:11 pm
I kind of wonder if there are any deities out there, associated with death/afterlife, who are patient and compassionate, at least to those who find favor with him/her?  

Ashley the Bee

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:28 pm
Ashley the Bee
I kind of wonder if there are any deities out there, associated with death/afterlife, who are patient and compassionate, at least to those who find favor with him/her?

From what I've heard of his followers, Anubis/Anpu seems to be very patient and compassionate. I think his role as guide to the dead seeking Osiris/Ausir can be expanded to other roles that guides may fulfill for the living.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:31 pm
What's a 666.5?  

Yanueh

Shameless Shapeshifter

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:36 pm
Yanueh
What's a 666.5?
Basically, 'you missed the joke'. Or an alert someone did, at any rate. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:29 pm
So I got in a really confusing discussion today, which led to an internet search and even more confusion... What's the deal with Pan? Did he really die? I heard one place say it was just a rumor and not true...? And I couldn't find anywhere that would say who was even rumored to have killed Pan. The person I was talking to said that Dionysus killed Pan, but I don't remember that from our section on Dionysus last year.  

Ainwyn

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:23 pm
Ainwyn
So I got in a really confusing discussion today, which led to an internet search and even more confusion... What's the deal with Pan? Did he really die? I heard one place say it was just a rumor and not true...? And I couldn't find anywhere that would say who was even rumored to have killed Pan. The person I was talking to said that Dionysus killed Pan, but I don't remember that from our section on Dionysus last year.
Plutarch says he died. Plutarch says a lot of things. Many of them aren't true.

To put it into perspective, Pausanias's tour included shrines of Pan, about a century after Plutarch claims he had died.

In short, we don't really agree with Plutarch here.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:52 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Ainwyn
Plutarch says he died. Plutarch says a lot of things. Many of them aren't true.

To put it into perspective, Pausanias's tour included shrines of Pan, about a century after Plutarch claims he had died.

In short, we don't really agree with Plutarch here.

That's kind of the feeling I got from the things I'd read, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks!  

Ainwyn

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:11 am
One of the things that have been confusing me..
When a deity dies, or is killed.. What happens to them?
'cause I've read mythology of deities dying, yet they're still worshiped. Wouldn't that be a bit.. pointless? To worship a deity that no longer exists? Unless they somehow still exist, but yet don't live.. or something.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:04 am
kage no neko

When Osiris died, he went to the Egyptian equivalent of Heaven/Paradise, where he ruled over the dead. While he's no longer among the living, he's not *gone,* y'know?

I'm not sure about other 'dead' gods in other mythologies.  

Yanueh

Shameless Shapeshifter

Yanueh

Shameless Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:35 pm
As someone interested in chaos magic, I'm asking... d'you think this might work as a negativity-banishing ritual? (Without the impossible things like twirling your wand without holding it and spinning around inhumanely fast, of course.)

In the Sailor Moon anime, Sailor Moon uses it to heal those who have turned into monsters because their starseeds were removed.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:31 pm
Yanueh
kage no neko

When Osiris died, he went to the Egyptian equivalent of Heaven/Paradise, where he ruled over the dead. While he's no longer among the living, he's not *gone,* y'know?

Slight correction- it is not the equivalent because riding in the sun barque with Ra would technically be the equivalent...though the concepts aren't easily that translatable. The Duat would be the underworld, which is not the equivalent of hell. It's a place that one journeys through in order to reach the judgement hall where their bas would either be judged as having more ma'at, and thus achieving divinity, or be judged as being more evil than righteous, where their ba would be swallowed by a monster and they would cease to exist.

In the Egyptian religion, the deities never are truly extinguished. Osiris being one example, he still is reanimated and takes his place in the Duat. I've also seen other gods referenced as traveling through the Duat during night, when they are not immanent in this realm. I don't think they would have seen death as a finality, but more of a transition to a different state of being, for both humans and deities alike.  

Bastemhet

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 74 75 76 77 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces