Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Painting Advice/Show-off thread. Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... 78 79 80 81 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

commissar ibram gaunt

Dedicated Smoker

8,875 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:31 pm
ArletaMagic
commissar ibram gaunt
DarkElf27
commissar ibram gaunt
Lady Blodwynn
commissar ibram gaunt
I have two questions.
Putting models in sealed display cabinets or keeping them stored in transport cases helps with dust prevention.

I prefer to use a large rouge brush for models myself, just gently run it over the model and when done just step outside for a moment and run your hand through the bristles to remove all the dust you removed from your minis.

well I dont know where to get any display cabinets. i know theres none for sell where i live, ill have to try the brush thing.
Try a furniture store of some sort, curio cabinets or bookcases with glass pull-down doors work pretty well too.

im thinking of maybe converting antique china cabinets to display my army in, there is 4 of them for sale up north for about 150$ each made of solid oak and cherry, unless this curio cabinets will be cheaper?

http://www.amazon.com/Acrylic-Showcase-Jewelry-12-19/dp/B0084J970I/ref=sr_1_77?ie=UTF8&qid=1376087410&sr=8-77&keywords=display+cabinet

I showed these to my husband (DarkElf) and he liked them. Cheap, too.

i was thinking of something like this

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr351/ibram/SLA-web-pics-002-199x300_zps6df5427b.jpg

its got room for my army, with the Acrylic Lucite Showcase i would probably need a few of them for my army. seeing as so far it covers the entire top of an old cider hope chest. 2 foot by 4 foot. with no room for the bunkers and sand bag emplacements i have made over the years, the 3 level high bastion, skyshield and an ageis defense line. i probably got some 14 or 15 bunkers made out of packing blocks. might be even in price and the Acrylic Lucite Showcase looks lighter so would be easier to move and might also be easier to fall over, i cant help but seeing my old blue healer crashing into it and it toppling over. i don't know, what do you all think would be best for showing off my army and terrain?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:26 pm
You should see how hard it is to find something for a Space Marine army that adds up to over 50K in points. That is infantry, 4 Rhino chassis, 4 Landraiders, a Baneblade, Caestus Assault Ram, and 13 bikes (I'm probably forgetting a few things). This is just my 40K collection. I also have my Gundam, Battletech, and Mechwarrior collections in my display cases(when they are not in my storage building) .  

Sean King

Lonely Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:13 am
Sean King
You should see how hard it is to find something for a Space Marine army that adds up to over 50K in points. That is infantry, 4 Rhino chassis, 4 Landraiders, a Baneblade, Caestus Assault Ram, and 13 bikes (I'm probably forgetting a few things). This is just my 40K collection. I also have my Gundam, Battletech, and Mechwarrior collections in my display cases(when they are not in my storage building) .

That. Is. Alot..... eek  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:55 am
commissar ibram gaunt
ArletaMagic
commissar ibram gaunt
DarkElf27
commissar ibram gaunt

well I dont know where to get any display cabinets. i know theres none for sell where i live, ill have to try the brush thing.
Try a furniture store of some sort, curio cabinets or bookcases with glass pull-down doors work pretty well too.

im thinking of maybe converting antique china cabinets to display my army in, there is 4 of them for sale up north for about 150$ each made of solid oak and cherry, unless this curio cabinets will be cheaper?

http://www.amazon.com/Acrylic-Showcase-Jewelry-12-19/dp/B0084J970I/ref=sr_1_77?ie=UTF8&qid=1376087410&sr=8-77&keywords=display+cabinet

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr351/ibram/SLA-web-pics-002-199x300_zps6df5427b.jpg

its got room for my army, with the Acrylic Lucite Showcase i would probably need a few of them for my army. seeing as so far it covers the entire top of an old cider hope chest. 2 foot by 4 foot. with no room for the bunkers and sand bag emplacements i have made over the years, the 3 level high bastion, skyshield and an ageis defense line. i probably got some 14 or 15 bunkers made out of packing blocks. might be even in price and the Acrylic Lucite Showcase looks lighter so would be easier to move and might also be easier to fall over, i cant help but seeing my old blue healer crashing into it and it toppling over. i don't know, what do you all think would be best for showing off my army and terrain?

Unless you had a whole room dedicated to the hobby, i think displaying terrain would just take up way too much space. Curio Cabinets are definitely the way to go, but under most circumstances, they just cost too much money. The cheapest and most effective way of doing what you want to do would be a bookshelf and a feather duster. Lightly dust off your models daily, the feather duster won't disturb where you have them... and then when you want to do stuff to a particular model, use the rouge brush Winnie mentioned.

Let me also encourage you to make your own thread in the Imperial Guard sub-forum, so we can see your models and talk more specifically about how you'd like to display them. This is thread is mostly for painting and showing off models that have completed paint schemes, and we've kind of digressed from that topic razz  

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200

commissar ibram gaunt

Dedicated Smoker

8,875 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:52 am
ArletaMagic
commissar ibram gaunt
ArletaMagic
commissar ibram gaunt
DarkElf27
commissar ibram gaunt

Unless you had a whole room dedicated to the hobby, i think displaying terrain would just take up way too much space. Curio Cabinets are definitely the way to go, but under most circumstances, they just cost too much money. The cheapest and most effective way of doing what you want to do would be a bookshelf and a feather duster. Lightly dust off your models daily, the feather duster won't disturb where you have them... and then when you want to do stuff to a particular model, use the rouge brush Winnie mentioned.

Let me also encourage you to make your own thread in the Imperial Guard sub-forum, so we can see your models and talk more specifically about how you'd like to display them. This is thread is mostly for painting and showing off models that have completed paint schemes, and we've kind of digressed from that topic razz

haha im working on it, if i can ever get clear photos.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:37 am
I just did some wicked finagling to piece together a Space Marine with a Meltagun using pieces from the new Space Marine Reclusiam Command Squad, an extremely old Space Wolf power pack, a tank marine's back piece, and sheer ingenuity. I made the wolf heads instead look like eagle heads which is more fitting for an Ultramarine considering my army is all Ultramarines...>____>;;  

Br0metheus

Invisible Lunatic

7,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Br0metheus

Invisible Lunatic

7,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:57 am
Holy crap...It got better...I accidentally chopped off the thumb of one of the arms that is supposed to hold the forend of a Bolter or what have you...So a piece that is like...Less than a milometer long right? I somehow managed not only to FIND the tiny little end of the thumb that I sliced off, I also, by some miracle, managed to glue it back on!

This Command Squad is giving me a run for my money.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:32 am
Volan d Vol
Holy crap...It got better...I accidentally chopped off the thumb of one of the arms that is supposed to hold the forend of a Bolter or what have you...So a piece that is like...Less than a milometer long right? I somehow managed not only to FIND the tiny little end of the thumb that I sliced off, I also, by some miracle, managed to glue it back on!

This Command Squad is giving me a run for my money.
Nice! When in doubt, greenstuff works wonders, I've had to remake fingers with it before.

Any pictures of these guys?  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Br0metheus

Invisible Lunatic

7,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:23 am
I don't actually know where to get green stuff, I've heard about it a lot cause one of the guys that played Tyranids was like an art teacher and he used the stuff to make some ridiculous things. Like a Tyrannofex with an expanded birthing chamber and he actually used Tervigons as health counters by magnetizing the base.

Speaking of magnetizing, I had originally asked this question in the Space Marin section but I guess it's more appropriate to ask it here. I got a three man squad of Centurions the other day and I wanted to know if anyone had suggestions about magnetizing the weapons so I could swap them from Assault to Devastators without having to buy more units?

Oh! And I don't have any pictures of them right now, though I do have them primed already.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:37 pm
Volan d Vol
I don't actually know where to get green stuff, I've heard about it a lot cause one of the guys that played Tyranids was like an art teacher and he used the stuff to make some ridiculous things. Like a Tyrannofex with an expanded birthing chamber and he actually used Tervigons as health counters by magnetizing the base.

Speaking of magnetizing, I had originally asked this question in the Space Marin section but I guess it's more appropriate to ask it here. I got a three man squad of Centurions the other day and I wanted to know if anyone had suggestions about magnetizing the weapons so I could swap them from Assault to Devastators without having to buy more units?

Oh! And I don't have any pictures of them right now, though I do have them primed already.
Greenstuff is usually available behind the counter at GW with their tools and stuff, costs about $10 for two strips that'll last forever, depending on the size of your projects. If no GW nearby, try Amazon, or a different type of putty.

As for magnetizing, I know 1mm x 1mm circular magnets are available for very reasonable prices, which are ideal for customizing infantry, and the Centurions have large flat planes which should be easier for magnetizing.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Br0metheus

Invisible Lunatic

7,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:03 pm
Well the way the weapons go on I dunno how well it may work, do you have any sites that sell those magnets?

And yeah, I don't have an actual GW shop around here just the local game store and their stock of 40k has gone down the toilet recently, they've begun focusing really hard on comic books lately.

I'd probably have to get it from Amazon.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:51 pm
Well here's greenstuff with free shipping on Amazon.

Here is the best selection (and price!) of magnets I've seen anywhere. They're very strong for their size, and easy to glue in place.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Br0metheus

Invisible Lunatic

7,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:30 pm
Does that magnet place ship to America? My credit card company also gets kind of edgy about foreign purchases...  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:41 pm
Hasslefree ships worldwide.  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Br0metheus

Invisible Lunatic

7,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:53 pm
So I got a bunch of different kinds of magnets, 2mm, 3mm, and 5mm. You're a boss, thanks for linking me to that site. I may go magnetizing crazy though.  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... 78 79 80 81 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games