Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
This is a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:33 am
Ashley the Bee
This is such a ridiculous question, but... who knows, so here it goes.

Is there any "book" that will give an overview of various types of magic?

There are three things that came to mind when I first read this. One was a book that amounted to a small codex of different neo-pagan theologies with a brief blerb on each. I disqualified it because you asked for magic, not religion- but the book styled itself by commenting on both parts. There's also a few books on magical theory that cut away the cultural expressions of such to get at the core concepts and the mechanics behind them. Then there are books that essentially are vast collections of spells with an exploration of why a given mechanic works. But that's a lot of digging for a couple sentences to a page here or there.

Which appeals?

Quote:
"Book", as the quotes are meant to imply, is just some sort of source, whether it's an actual book, website, napkin from Tea's living room...
I have a handkerchief. Does that count?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:02 pm
TeaDidikai
Ashley the Bee
This is such a ridiculous question, but... who knows, so here it goes.

Is there any "book" that will give an overview of various types of magic?

There are three things that came to mind when I first read this. One was a book that amounted to a small codex of different neo-pagan theologies with a brief blerb on each. I disqualified it because you asked for magic, not religion- but the book styled itself by commenting on both parts. There's also a few books on magical theory that cut away the cultural expressions of such to get at the core concepts and the mechanics behind them. Then there are books that essentially are vast collections of spells with an exploration of why a given mechanic works. But that's a lot of digging for a couple sentences to a page here or there.

Which appeals?

Hmm... May I ask for an example of the first two? The small codex of various neo-pagan theologies and a book on magic theory?

TeaDidikai
Quote:
"Book", as the quotes are meant to imply, is just some sort of source, whether it's an actual book, website, napkin from Tea's living room...
I have a handkerchief. Does that count?

hehe Yes, absolutely!

EDIT: Sorry, it was just a joke... You just tend to always have a wide range of books at your fingertips. It wasn't actually to single you out or preclude anyone else from providing input.

Thanks for the suggestions~  

Ashley the Bee

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:09 pm
Ashley the Bee

Hmm... May I ask for an example of the first two? The small codex of various neo-pagan theologies and a book on magic theory?

Advanced Magick for Beginners, Alan Chapman

Which Witch Is Which?: A Concise Guide To Wiccan And Neo-pagan Paths And Traditions, Patricia Telesco

The perfect books on these subjects haven't been written yet. These aren't a bad start though, and the conflicts I have with them aren't so subtle that someone who has experience with this guild won't be able to spot them. Make sense?

Quote:
hehe Yes, absolutely!
Why mention me by name?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:40 pm
Advanced Magic for Beginners is an excellent (and humourous) book. I enjoyed it very much.  

Cunning Witch Angus

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:52 pm
Ashley the Bee
Sorry, it was just a joke... You just tend to always have a wide range of books at your fingertips. It wasn't actually to single you out or preclude anyone else from providing input.

Thanks for the suggestions~
It's not a problem.
I was just curious.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:14 pm
I once heard an explanation for the two genesis stories in the Christian Bible. The explanation was somewhere along the lines that it was a classic example of Hebrew poetry, as evidenced by the plural Elohim and by the repetition of the story with one being more detailed than the other.

Does this hold any water? Has any one heard anything similar? I can't recall where I heard it and I'm not certain I recollect the details correctly. sweatdrop

Aino Ailill

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:38 pm
Aino Ailill
I once heard an explanation for the two genesis stories in the Christian Bible. The explanation was somewhere along the lines that it was a classic example of Hebrew poetry, as evidenced by the plural Elohim and by the repetition of the story with one being more detailed than the other.

Does this hold any water? Has any one heard anything similar? I can't recall where I heard it and I'm not certain I recollect the details correctly. sweatdrop
That is indeed one of the reasonable explanations.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:15 pm
Hello.
I'm curious about the Standing Stone tradition. Is there anywhere that I can get some more information on it?  

Stark Raveling Mad

4,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Dabbler 200

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:10 pm
Aino Ailill
whiporwill-o
can anyone explain to me why the christians, more specifically baptist, worship jesus? instead of god? i don't understand and the last time i tried to ask, they got all huffy and mad at me because i "should already know this, and if would start going to church then might just learn something" ... it's quite frustrating. and i do not like going to church. i have a hard time sitting there for so long with nothing to do, it screws with my ADD and i get all anxious or i get so exhausted from not being able to release access energy that i crash and fall asleep, in case anyone needed to know why i don't attend.

my granny mentioned something about a meeting on a mountain between god, jesus and um... moses? i think, i can't remember and she talks quite, its hard to hear her sometimes. sweatdrop

Errr...I'm not aware of any who worship Jesus instead of the Lord. Are you certain that this is the case? I'd find it more likely that they worship Jesus as the Lord, as Baptists recognize the concept of the Trinity as valid.

that may be it... but they lead me to believe that they worship jesus. my little sister, not long ago, said that jesus made her and no one corrected her. i always thought that god made people... this confuses me so much gonk . i do no wish to be christian, but i do want to know why. i am trying to follow the advice given in this guild (especially since y'all know more than i do) and figure out what it is about specific religions that i like or don't like and can or cannot relate to. christianity seemed like a good start being as it is what i was [technically] raised with.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:13 pm
TeaDidikai
whiporwill-o
can anyone explain to me why the christians, more specifically baptist, worship jesus? instead of god?
Not instead of god, as god.

I have no clue what your Grandmother was talking about when it comes to a meeting between Yeshua, YHVH and Moses.

But Baptists are Trinitarians, they believe that The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit are not each other, but are all their god.

oh, i see... i find that i disagree with that >.>

i can't, at the moment, put into words as to why i disagree, i but i do.  

whiporwill-o

Collowrath

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:32 pm
whiporwill-o
TeaDidikai
whiporwill-o
can anyone explain to me why the christians, more specifically baptist, worship jesus? instead of god?

I have no clue what your Grandmother was talking about when it comes to a meeting between Yeshua, YHVH and Moses.

But Baptists are Trinitarians, they believe that The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit are not each other, but are all their god.

With the Trinity? Please, when you can put it into words, can you post it here?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:25 am
Arcanist Angus
Advanced Magic for Beginners is an excellent (and humourous) book. I enjoyed it very much.

Awesome. I ordered it from Amazon and I think it's arriving today~

In the meantime I started reading, as I mentioned, Witchcraft Today by Gardner. As I read it though, I kind of wonder exactly how much, how to put it, credence? I should give to his ...um... historical research.

My thought was, "none", but that may be too harsh, so I thought I'd ask here, since I'm sure several people have read it and know what I'm talking about...  

Ashley the Bee

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:55 pm
Collowrath
whiporwill-o
TeaDidikai
whiporwill-o

With the Trinity? Please, when you can put it into words, can you post it here?

without further exploring it, the best i can do is. i don't believe that god and jesus are the same being.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:01 pm
another stupid question, since i think i'm the only person here who doesnt get it... what is 666.5?  

whiporwill-o

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:04 pm
whiporwill-o
another stupid question, since i think i'm the only person here who doesnt get it... what is 666.5?

It means that you missed the reference stated, or that you have missed the joke.

Whited out, just in case some people would rather puzzle it out for whatever reason.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff