Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
The topic which rapidly degenerated... [MISC] Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 103 104 105 106 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Angra-Mainyu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:36 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:42 pm
Angra-Mainyu
LoS
Hang on. Aren't there other schools of thought about the nature of evil within Catholic theology?

but it does not seem to mesh with the view of God that believers have.

From what I can see, Aquinas is really the main theologian in Catholicism.

How can it be the main theologian if the believers don't believe it? Surely the religion is what those who practice it say it is, not what people studying it say it is.  

and_solo_said

Angra-Mainyu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:54 pm
and_solo_said
How can it be the main theologian if the believers don't believe it? Surely the religion is what those who practice it say it is, not what people studying it say it is.

The thelogians in the Roman Catholic Church define the faith and not the Catholics on the street. That's just how it is. neutral

The tradition of Aquinas' theology in the RC Church was there before anyone currently alive was born. So really, it is the believers who should understand the theology of the Church. If not there are countless other denominations.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:55 pm
Angra-Mainyu
and_solo_said

The thelogians in the Roman Catholic Church define the faith and not the Catholics on the street. That's just how it is. neutral

The tradition of Aquinas' theology in the RC Church was there before anyone currently alive was born. So really, it is the believers who should understand the theology of the Church. If not there are countless other denominations.

But religions change because of what the church believes.  

and_solo_said

Angra-Mainyu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:31 pm
and_solo_said

What are you implying? Official churches generally define the faith of that church.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:57 am
Angra-Mainyu
and_solo_said

What are you implying? Official churches generally define the faith of that church.

Yes, but consider how the Catholic church has changed due to the believers and the outside world. A god who condones war is now thought of as evil, but in the crusades, it was considered the most holy thing to do to fight infidels, and god supported you.  

and_solo_said

Angra-Mainyu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:47 am
and_solo_said
Yes, but consider how the Catholic church has changed due to the believers and the outside world. A god who condones war is now thought of as evil, but in the crusades, it was considered the most holy thing to do to fight infidels, and god supported you.

No it is not. Roman Catholicism still supports the use of Just War.

What you have have is the RC Church reassessing its interpretation and exegesis in light of world opinion if it believes it is in its best interests [even that is controversial seeing as the Vatican II was highly disliked by some], but it is not subject to the whim of outsiders [it, in fact, holds the other view and the Vatican is the sole authority].

I fail to see the relevence. You questioned the use of the Aquinian model of God in Roman Catholic theology when I mentioned that it does not marry with the opinions of believers [who are not theologians]. The basic point is that the mainstream RC approach to God comes from the works of Aquinas. Later theologians like Luther and Calvin disagreed and different churchs and theologies came about as a result [incidently, both these schools use the everlasting God inside time].

My statement: the mainstream model of God used in Roman Catholic theology is that as written by St Thomas Aquinas despite the opinions of indiviual believers [Cf. the RC teaching on birth control and the view of rank-and-file Catholics].

[Even Benedict XVI is reported to be Augustinian Thomist but he is a Thomist nevertheless.]

Maybe the theologians should think of Yahwah as "God of the Believers" and not "God of the Philosophers" but I'm not in their position.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:20 am
I've joined the Finnish guild...Don't speak a word of Suomi though.  

and_solo_said

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:50 pm
Ok. WTF. I come on, exhausted, having a million things I really have to be doing and they've done this. It has got to be a joke. I do not like the new look one little bit. It's horrible.
It may just be tired stressed Aisa talking but it's too white and is hurting my eyes. And head.

(I've not forgotten you, hoping things might calm down by halfway through next week. And does anyone have anything I should know about Edwina Currie? Other then the eggs and John Major.)  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:09 am
It's all so ugly, I see they've tried to make it better with free items but no win. It's horrible.

I might leave Gaia it's horrible, uncomfortable. So garish.

And who the bloody hell wants or needs an A-Z?

eek

Invictus_88
Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:39 am
Angra-Mainyu
and_solo_said

No it is not. Roman Catholicism still supports the use of Just War.

What you have have is the RC Church reassessing its interpretation and exegesis in light of world opinion if it believes it is in its best interests [even that is controversial seeing as the Vatican II was highly disliked by some], but it is not subject to the whim of outsiders [it, in fact, holds the other view and the Vatican is the sole authority].

I fail to see the relevence. You questioned the use of the Aquinian model of God in Roman Catholic theology when I mentioned that it does not marry with the opinions of believers [who are not theologians]. The basic point is that the mainstream RC approach to God comes from the works of Aquinas. Later theologians like Luther and Calvin disagreed and different churchs and theologies came about as a result [incidently, both these schools use the everlasting God inside time].

My statement: the mainstream model of God used in Roman Catholic theology is that as written by St Thomas Aquinas despite the opinions of indiviual believers [Cf. the RC teaching on birth control and the view of rank-and-file Catholics].

[Even Benedict XVI is reported to be Augustinian Thomist but he is a Thomist nevertheless.]

Maybe the theologians should think of Yahwah as "God of the Believers" and not "God of the Philosophers" but I'm not in their position.

pwned, Owen.

rolleyes  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:01 pm
Invictus_88
It's all so ugly, I see they've tried to make it better with free items but no win. It's horrible.

eek

I just about did. I have better things to do with time than use a site that looks like one of those sites you get if you type the adress in wrong. But then I realised it would include leaving the guild.
Feel special.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:25 am
ice_illusion
Invictus_88

eek

I just about did. I have better things to do with time than use a site that looks like one of those sites you get if you type the adress in wrong. But then I realised it would include leaving the guild.
Feel special.

Well, most people seem to not like it, so I still have hope that they'll get their act together and change it back to something a bit easier on the eye.<3 *melts*  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:21 pm
I have to agree - it's bloody awful...You have to wonder what on earth possessed them to try this. Let's face it, looks even clunkier and amateurish right now, than the day they opened Gaia :/  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

ficklefiend
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:08 am
I'll get used to it but the navigation is so small and far away from everything else. I have to scroll all the time, and for what, white screen?

Bleh.

On a good note, today I won £10 on a scratch card and was donated a Coco kitty.

Awesome!  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 103 104 105 106 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games