Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Chat Thread: Chopsticks and teacups Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 671 672 673 674 675 676 ... 972 973 974 975 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:58 am
Collowrath
CuAnnan
Deoridhe
My online name, only Wing pronounces it properly; the pronunciation I give is mostly made up and weird, and by and large people call me Deo.

It's a tough one to pronounce, using a strange phonem that's used in Irish once in a blue moon. The only other word I know of that uses it is the Irish for drink (the noun) that being deoch.

Is it that the D is palatalized/iotated? Such as dyoch or Dyo - but the "y" sound is "blended" almost into the D itself?

That sounds about right.

Collowrath
We use a separate letter for the sound - Ď in Slovak and DJ/Đ/Ћ in Serbian. A D always makes the sound before E and I in Slovak as well, by way of iotation.

Yeah, we got the whole "writing" thing in the fourth century, but it didn't really catch on.
And then the whole 800 years of our language being illegal didn't help matters.
The Roman Alphabet was never meant to describe Irish.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:40 am
OMGTORCHWOOD. *DIES*  

Calixti

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:30 am
Doesn't Deo's name roughly sound close to "jory?" In a heavily anglicised way. I usually think of it as that when I'm looking at the whole name, and then Deo when people use the short form. Course, I still say "Ree-gun" in my head when I know very well that's not how you say it. Force of habit.

Here's what I want to know: why is it so hard to pronounce my last name? It's fairly phonetic. People, however, keeping adding g's to it, to make one part "Clingon".  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:41 am
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Doesn't Deo's name roughly sound close to "jory?"

See, when I try to write the pronunciation, I get dtjyor id eh and even that's horribly wrong.

Celeblin Galadeneryn
Course, I still say "Ree-gun" in my head when I know very well that's not how you say it. Force of habit.

I used to get flack for that username.
Because people thought it had to do with banning regan  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Collowrath

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:51 am
CuAnnan
Celeblin Galadeneryn

See, when I try to write the pronunciation, I get dtjyor id eh and even that's horribly wrong.

The IPA guide on omniglot.com has me say it like dyor-i-ye, except that the "dhe/ye" kind of sound would be further back in the throat, away from the teeth and with the tongue raised toward the palate. It's not a sound that can be described in English very well, I don't think.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:53 am
I'm not actually certain how nuri is pronounced. Not to mention it appears to be a bird in Malaysia, an arabic men's name (the female would be Nuria), and I got it off of a list claiming it was Hebrew meaning light or fire, and then found it in Arabic meaning Divine Light.

Then I just gave up and accepted it as my name.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Collowrath

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:03 am
maenad nuri
I'm not actually certain how nuri is pronounced. Not to mention it appears to be a bird in Malaysia, an arabic men's name (the female would be Nuria), and I got it off of a list claiming it was Hebrew meaning light or fire, and then found it in Arabic meaning Divine Light.

Then I just gave up and accepted it as my name.

Nur means light in Arabic - I usually see it as a romantic pet-name. For instance, if you called your man "nuri," you'd be saying "my light" as in "the light of my eye" or something similar. biggrin As a name, it's usually something like Nur ad-Din (Light of Religion, or similar).

One of my best friends through middle and high school is Iraqi. She taught me a bit of Arabic - we used to pass each other notes in class in English, written with Arabic letters. xd

It goes without saying, now, that I'm a bit of a language buff. stressed  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:04 am
I stole my online name from my cat ninja It amazes me how many vets and vet techs have trouble pronouncing it gonk Of course the way I spelled it could have something to do with it. She-r-a, the r has a kind of roll to it the last h is silent. Our friends have trouble saying her name, usually just ending up with "pretty kitty"  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:51 pm
CuAnnan
Celeblin Galadeneryn

That was the pronunciation given in the Irish dictionary I got the name from. I tend to describe how I pronounce it as dthey-or-ee with the dth being the sound found in Icelandic (see: Odhinn), but I'll freely own I made that pronunciation up. It's also slightly mispelled from the original dictionary of doom where it was spelt deoiridhe and sometimes de oiridhe. To give a hint at how old I am, at the time my accounts were on Unix boxes (yes, this name was specifically for online and always was; it's move offline is accidental) and you had only 8 letters - so I dropped one of the /i/s.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:28 pm
I'll just say I've been pronouncing Deo's name wrong, and leave it at that.

Mine is an alteration of my actual name. Tia, but with the added /a/s /l/s and the /h/. But my first name I had on Gaia was Tojah. I'm really glad I changed it, because a few people thought it looked like "toejam". stare  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:26 pm
Deoridhe
CuAnnan
Celeblin Galadeneryn

That was the pronunciation given in the Irish dictionary I got the name from. I tend to describe how I pronounce it as dthey-or-ee with the dth being the sound found in Icelandic (see: Odhinn), but I'll freely own I made that pronunciation up. It's also slightly mispelled from the original dictionary of doom where it was spelt deoiridhe and sometimes de oiridhe. To give a hint at how old I am, at the time my accounts were on Unix boxes (yes, this name was specifically for online and always was; it's move offline is accidental) and you had only 8 letters - so I dropped one of the /i/s.
Pish. talk2hand You can't even pronounce a simple word like Tea.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:31 pm
TeaDidikai
Pish. talk2hand You can't even pronounce a simple word like Tea.

*grins*

Can so. Both versions. XD  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:55 pm
Deoridhe
*grins*

Can so. Both versions. XD
razz

Do I seem Spanish to you?!  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:58 pm
It's official. SyFy channel sucks.

I love the SciFi channel, wherever that may lurk in the ether.  

TeaDidikai

Collowrath

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:14 pm
TeaDidikai
It's official. SyFy channel sucks.

I love the SciFi channel, wherever that may lurk in the ether.

Without Galactica, Stargate, and Babylon 5 I have no reason to watch it any more.

Syfy resembles SciFi very little. Ugh.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 671 672 673 674 675 676 ... 972 973 974 975 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games