Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Welcome to the Rehab Center Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 86 87 88 89 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

0range_rayne

Original Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:04 pm
whiporwill-o
0range_rayne
hello my name is rayne, im 26 and i love in florida. ive been learning and reading about witchcraft for almost 12 years now. i love learning about all kinds of stuff and i grab any book i can find. i love to read.. some things i am not good at like herbology and some things i am good at like astral projection.. im usually shy when it comes to talking on the computer to new people, but once i get to know you a little bit i can become quite chatty biggrin i look forward to getting to know this community better.. ~rayne

what part or florida, if you don't mind my asking, i'm in south alabama.

i grew up in orlando but i am currently living in titusville. we just moved here a few months ago and its nice. quiet neighborhood. and the space shuttle is real close  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:40 pm
0range_rayne
whiporwill-o
0range_rayne
hello my name is rayne, im 26 and i love in florida. ive been learning and reading about witchcraft for almost 12 years now. i love learning about all kinds of stuff and i grab any book i can find. i love to read.. some things i am not good at like herbology and some things i am good at like astral projection.. im usually shy when it comes to talking on the computer to new people, but once i get to know you a little bit i can become quite chatty biggrin i look forward to getting to know this community better.. ~rayne

what part or florida, if you don't mind my asking, i'm in south alabama.

i grew up in orlando but i am currently living in titusville. we just moved here a few months ago and its nice. quiet neighborhood. and the space shuttle is real close

thats i little ways from me sweatdrop but i did get to see the space shuttle launch back in march, we we're in orlando on vacation 3nodding  

whiporwill-o

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:07 pm
Quote:
Also, because a friend of mine once mentioned it, and it just occurred to me to wonder... Is there anyone around who could explain to me the concept of 'mitochondrial Eve'? I felt like such a dunce when she mentioned it, but she's since referenced it and expected me to know what it means, because I didn't say anything at first. sweatdrop sweatdrop sweatdrop

Oooh! I know this one! Do you know about mitochondria? Eh, I'll explain anyway. Mitochondria are only kind of human cell components - they're more like symbiotes. They have their own DNA and it's inherited independently of regular old human DNA. Actually, it's only passed down through the maternal line. And it more or less clones itself. So, your mitochondrial DNA (I'm going to start calling it mDNA so I don't have to type it out) looks exactly like your mothers, except for any mutations. Now, we know the rate of mutation for mDNA - it's a constant. So, we can measure the genetic difference between current humans, and from that extrapolate how long ago (how many generations ago) our most recent matrilinial common ancestor was. Most estimates place her between 150,000 and 250,000 BP (Before Present).  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:13 am
Bright Blessings!
My online call name is Kethry Moondragon.
Call me Keth or MD.
Or even "Hey you!"
I answer to just about anything. ^_^
I've been openly pagan since age 16 and have jumbled together my own little path. I started reading alot of main line Gardenerain stuff. Farrar's Witches Bible for a example. Found it felt to rigid for me. My first hands on teacher was Green Wiccan and I studied that path for many years. It was very fulfilling. Now I just call myself pagan. Since I have started pulling bits and pieces from several polytheist faiths to cobble together my own path. Which is the truly lovely thing about pagan belief systems!

I hope to learn new things and maybe help others to learn as well.

Wind to your wings and good hunting,

Kethry Moondragon  

TheMoonDragon

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:52 pm
TheMoonDragon
Since I have started pulling bits and pieces from several polytheist faiths to cobble together my own path. Which is the truly lovely thing about pagan belief systems!
Just to let you know, paganism as a whole doesn't do this.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:28 pm
TheMoonDragon
I started reading alot of main line Gardenerain stuff. Farrar's Witches Bible for a example.

IIRC, the Farrars were Alexandrian?  

Nines19

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:37 pm
Nines19
TheMoonDragon
I started reading alot of main line Gardenerain stuff. Farrar's Witches Bible for a example.

IIRC, the Farrars were Alexandrian?

Yep.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:46 pm
demisara
Quote:
Also, because a friend of mine once mentioned it, and it just occurred to me to wonder... Is there anyone around who could explain to me the concept of 'mitochondrial Eve'? I felt like such a dunce when she mentioned it, but she's since referenced it and expected me to know what it means, because I didn't say anything at first. sweatdrop sweatdrop sweatdrop

Oooh! I know this one! Do you know about mitochondria? Eh, I'll explain anyway. Mitochondria are only kind of human cell components - they're more like symbiotes. They have their own DNA and it's inherited independently of regular old human DNA. Actually, it's only passed down through the maternal line. And it more or less clones itself. So, your mitochondrial DNA (I'm going to start calling it mDNA so I don't have to type it out) looks exactly like your mothers, except for any mutations. Now, we know the rate of mutation for mDNA - it's a constant. So, we can measure the genetic difference between current humans, and from that extrapolate how long ago (how many generations ago) our most recent matrilinial common ancestor was. Most estimates place her between 150,000 and 250,000 BP (Before Present).
So, in terms of philosophy, this would be kind of a scientific back-up for a universal human link - like, proof we all came from the same thing, once upon a way-back time. A "the world is my Family" concept. Yeah?  

Ultramarine Violet

Orchidsandfractals

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:56 pm
Ultramarine Violet
demisara
Quote:

So, in terms of philosophy, this would be kind of a scientific back-up for a universal human link - like, proof we all came from the same thing, once upon a way-back time. A "the world is my Family" concept. Yeah?

Not quite. There were tribes of people, and it just means that maybe she was someone's aunt, someone's sister, someone's mother and such, and that everyone is related to her. She had a different mother perhaps than her sister, or her cousin. It's a little bit more complicated than the media makes it out to be. It just means everyone is related to her. For the record, something like 1/7 Irish men DNA wise are related to some Irish king, and the same of many people with Khan. It doesn't mean they were full siblings etc, just they shared a common relative.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:33 pm
Hello Everyone, I'm a 19 yr. old Christian from Michigan.

I'm currently interested in Trance, Tarot, and Astral Projection. My only issue with Astral Projection is that I have trouble remaining passive to astrally project, As I've been told that one must stop all other thoughts to reach the Astral. Perhaps I should start trying it at another time in the day other than when I go to sleep, Since I also fall to sleep trying.  

Silver Luminate

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:07 pm
Silver Luminate
Hello Everyone, I'm a 19 yr. old Christian from Michigan.

I'm currently interested in Trance, Tarot, and Astral Projection. My only issue with Astral Projection is that I have trouble remaining passive to astrally project, As I've been told that one must stop all other thoughts to reach the Astral. Perhaps I should start trying it at another time in the day other than when I go to sleep, Since I also fall to sleep trying.

Cool. Tarot is my thing but I stink when it comes to divinations. I usually use Tarot for meditation purposes.

Don't know much about astral projection unfortunately.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:13 am
Orchidsandfractals
Ultramarine Violet
demisara
Quote:

Not quite. There were tribes of people, and it just means that maybe she was someone's aunt, someone's sister, someone's mother and such, and that everyone is related to her. She had a different mother perhaps than her sister, or her cousin. It's a little bit more complicated than the media makes it out to be. It just means everyone is related to her. For the record, something like 1/7 Irish men DNA wise are related to some Irish king, and the same of many people with Khan. It doesn't mean they were full siblings etc, just they shared a common relative.

Nope, Ultramarine was actually right. The theory states that she was the matrilinial ancestor of every human alive today. We do call her Eve in casual conversation. Of course there were other humans alive at the time, but we're talking about a very small population, at the very cladation of our species, probably less than 5000 breeding females. Their regular DNA is either in all of us or extinct, but they don't have the pure matrilinial line. Note that the matrilinial most recent common ancestor is not the same thing as the most recent common ancestor, which actually occurs several thousand years after Eve - the identical ancestors point is between 5000 and 15000 years BP.  

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

Carnal Cupcake

Friendly Smoker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:47 pm
My goodness, this forum is large! >.< If anyone happens by this post and can help me, please do.

My name is Sydney, or whatever you feel like calling me, I have a fudgeload of nick-names.... Anyway I'd like to learn about basic paganism to start with. I have a few idea and thoughts of my own, but other wise, I don't know much. I'd like to develop my... "own way" but I believe in order to do that, I'd have to know the most basic things to find a place to start.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:31 pm
Hey Im Matthew
Im 15 and Ive been studying paganism on and off for a few years now. I really dont know what else to say. If anyone wants to help or mentor me that'd be much appreciated

Blessed Be  

PrynceX

Batman doesnt cry

3,200 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:42 pm
Hey, my name is Rose. I am a solitary Wiccan who also worships various dieties.

I'm eighteen, and a gay female in Delaware.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 86 87 88 89 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games